PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='Furashu']can the ps3 take over the world? lol jk
if i restore the system, does the firmware stay the same?[/quote]Yeah. Restore just puts all your harddrive stuff back from where you backed it up.

[quote name='OuTrAgE']I have a rather... broad question. My new PS3 has a controller problem. I emailed Amazon.com about it (where I bought it from) and they said they have to replace everything (not just the controller). This won't cause any problems, besides having to download all the stuff I already downloaded and setting up my options again... will it? Like user accounts or anything?

Just want to make sure it will only be a slight hassle instead of a major one. I could always just eat the loss ($40), but I'd obviously rather not.[/quote]
I didn't see this answered, and I'm in a similar situation.

I just bought a PS3 at Circuit City last week, but the disc drive is faulty and won't take in any discs (blue access light flashes, drive makes a buzzing/clicking sound). There's nothing on my system that's irreplaceable, but I don't want to have to start over and make a new PSN ID. Will I be able to keep my current ID and use it on my new system? It seems likely, but a little reassurance would be nice.

[quote name='cleaver']Do PS2 or PS1 Guncons work on the PS3?[/QUOTE]PS1 no. PS2, they should, but only if you use composite cables on a non-HDTV and/or LCD.

[quote name='iggywiggum']I didn't see this answered, and I'm in a similar situation.

I just bought a PS3 at Circuit City last week, but the disc drive is faulty and won't take in any discs (blue access light flashes, drive makes a buzzing/clicking sound). There's nothing on my system that's irreplaceable, but I don't want to have to start over and make a new PSN ID. Will I be able to keep my current ID and use it on my new system? It seems likely, but a little reassurance would be nice.[/quote]Yes, all the PSN ID is, is a username and PW.
Just make a system ID on your new system, then try to connect online with your original PSN ID and you're set.

For playing video, like trailers, is there a way to play all? For pics, there's a slide option, but can't anything for videos... thanks in advance,

[quote name='snakelda']finally I got it!Don't know if people know this but the PS3 rips CD's![/quote]

Yep! You can even use the internet to locate the CD's cover image plus have all of the data filled out (album name/artist/song names/etc.).

just put the cd and then go to the music tab and press triangle and then go to import cd and then wait.You can choose from AAC,Mp3,Atrac but that's n the music settings.

Nice. I didn't know that about the ripping. Now I really do need to upgrade the HDD. I hope the 250GB ones go down in price soon...I can probably do 160 for under or around $100 right now.

PS3 has a 2.5 inch SATA drive. I presume you're talking about a 3.5 inch EIDE drive. Huge difference.

[quote name='Bezerker']Not sure where you're buying. 500gb's here go for around $75.[/quote]

[quote name='Serpentor']For playing video, like trailers, is there a way to play all? For pics, there's a slide option, but can't anything for videos... thanks in advance,[/quote]You know, that's a really good idea!
Unfortunately no option for that now, but it's probably something worth mentioning over at the Official Playstation blog site. I'll do so as well.

I like this.

[quote name='dallow']You know, that's a really good idea!
Unfortunately no option for that now, but it's probably something worth mentioning over at the Official Playstation blog site. I'll do so as well.

I like this.[/quote]

thanks dallow... yeah, i figure so, there's no option to that now, but i'm sure it'll be in the later FWs.

Another interesting thing about the ps3 music abilities is that since it sees the ipod as an external drive you can copy all your music from your ipod onto the HDD.

[quote name='ighosty']Another interesting thing about the ps3 music abilities is that since it sees the ipod as an external drive you can copy all your music from your ipod onto the HDD.[/quote]I was about to ask about thgis....how did it work on yours?I connectred mine and the iPod froze.....I have a 5G 60GB iPod Video

[quote name='snakelda']I was about to ask about thgis....how did it work on yours?I connectred mine and the iPod froze.....I have a 5G 60GB iPod Video[/quote]

connect you ipod with the usb then use the "Display All"

it will show a bunch of different folds (music, photos, etc...)

Go to your music folder and it will show all your music by artist, then select the "Copy Multiple"

Any 2.5" SATA notebook HDD would work. I was checking newegg and some other sites and 250 GBs will run about $190-200.

Right now, the sweet spot for cheaper drives are the 160GBs which run under $99, typically.

I don't know if I should wait a few more months for 250GBs to come down or just jump into a 160GB now. I'm leaning towards waiting.

I have a question regarding game updates. I recently got motorstorm and resistance, and recalled that there were updates to those games that added some new stuff.

What do I have to do to get those updates? Are they automatic or do I have to go to the PSN to update? Or, do I simply need to try and play online?

Just got my PS3 a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love it. I have had it a couple of weeks and have yet to even play one game on it. And yes, I have Resistance Fall of Man waiting in the wings to play.

So anyhoo, I have been looking into a bigger Hard Drive for my PS3. I have found around my area that I can go 120 GB for about 100 bucks or 160 for about 140 dollars. While both seem to be very easy to do I have also seen internet posts of people using a Western Digital USB external HD for around 100 bucks. The drive is about 300 GB and is already formatted in 32fat, which the PS3 reads.

My question is...

Is it better for me to change out the internal PS3 hard drive to 120GB or 160GB or.....
Buy the Western Digital USB external drive ?

I am in no hurry to do either but I naturally want to do what works best.

Looks like it's a combination of PSN store and just trying to go online with a game.

For Motorstorm I had alread downloaded the time attack update from the PSN store. However, it wasn't listed in the game menu. Instead, I had to take the game online, have it do an automatic update of Motorstorm, then after my PS3 rebooted with the patch it finally recognized the time attack more.

I haven't taken Resistance online yet, but I figure I could use the patch.

[quote name='syberherc']My question is...

Is it better for me to change out the internal PS3 hard drive to 120GB or 160GB or.....

I am in no hurry to do either but I naturally want to do what works best.[/quote]

Internal has far better data transfer rate.

[quote name='cdeener']How can I find out which headsets are compatitable with the PS3?[/quote]

I believe all bluetooth headsets are compatitable.

[quote name='syberherc']

I am in no hurry to do either but I naturally want to do what works best.[/quote]

Depends on what you want to do really. Internal might be a bit faster like others mentioned, and it'll allow you to add more PSN titles to your PS3 as I don't think you can install things on an external drive (?).

But I personally have all my movies on an external drive. When I want to watch them I plug it into the PS3 and move what I want to watch over to the PS3 and delete it when I'm done. I can play directly off the exteranal HD but it responds a little slowly (after I push fast forward it takes it a second or two longer to start that up compaired to it beind directly on the HD).

Also another hassle is having to plug in the external drive, but then again I only need to when I want to access the files on it. The most used stuff stays on my PS3 all the time.

i usually charge my controller by connecting it to my pc..

i hate that the damn thing doesnt shut off by itself so mine is always dead

[quote name='guyver2077']i usually charge my controller by connecting it to my pc..

i hate that the damn thing doesnt shut off by itself so mine is always dead[/quote]

Yeh, you can recharge it via any USB connection. You can even play games with it on your computer with the right drivers while it is connected via the USB cable.

I always turn my controller off when I need to leave the system alone for a bit or when I'm watching a movie and won't been needing to control anything.

[quote name='cdeener']How can I find out which headsets are compatitable with the PS3?[/QUOTE]I look at this thread.

The Motorola headsets are the ones that normally have issues (like the H350).

For some reason my downloads are taking forever. I'm trying to download the demo for Heavenly Sword, and after three hours I'm only at fourteen percent. Now, I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem with my modem or router since my 360 downloads demos and whatnot very fast, and the PS3 is going incredibly slow when downloading wirelessly or wired.

Is there anything I can do within the PS3 to aid download speeds? Any settings to tinker with?

For some reason my PS3 is taking forever to download demos; I'm at fourteen percent on Heavenly Sword after about three hours. The download speed stays the same whether it's wireless or wired into my router, and I don't suspect it's a problem with my router or modem since the download times on my 360 are generally very quick.

Are there any ways to fix this within the PS3? Any settings to tinker with that will garner results?

[quote name='2Fast']For some reason my PS3 is taking forever to download demos; I'm at fourteen percent on Heavenly Sword after about three hours. The download speed stays the same whether it's wireless or wired into my router, and I don't suspect it's a problem with my router or modem since the download times on my 360 are generally very quick.

Are there any ways to fix this within the PS3? Any settings to tinker with that will garner results?[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I guess it doesn't really bother me because I can just turn off the TV and do something else while Demo X downloads but I'm wondering if it'll make playing against other people in games impossible.

Are there ports you have to open up to free up your NAT settings? I had to open up two ports on my 360 and I didn't know if it was a similar scenario with this system.

[quote name='dallow']The controller does turn off eventually if you don't use it.[/quote]
After how long? I've left the controller alone for over an hour a few times and nothing happens. I'd like to see an option in the settings to set after how long of idle time that I'd like it to turn off my controller, similar to how you can do that to start folding.

One thing I just found out about the PS3 is that when pressing the PS button (which looking at photos, listening to music, or watching a video off the HDD), the XMB goes on top of it, and you can send messages to friends and other things.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']One thing I just found out about the PS3 is that when pressing the PS button (which looking at photos, listening to music, or watching a video off the HDD), the XMB goes on top of it, and you can send messages to friends and other things.[/QUOTE]

If you are a PSP owner, it's been that way for a while as well for the PSP (select should work as well, but I have yet to try it out on PS3). ie, if you know your insides and outs of the PSP, you'll know your PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I look at this thread.

The Motorola headsets are the ones that normally have issues (like the H350).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link my friend. I went ahead and got the Jabra BT125 V 2.0. It is the headset that is coming with retail copies of Warhawk on Ebay for $14.50 insured shipping brand new and I see from the link that it is highly recommended.

bread's done
Back