PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='Lucky13']My friend told me that the first time I put a PS2 game in the PS3 it should have told me that I needed to create a partition on my drive instead of turning my PS3 off like it did. I'm thinking I should just format the whole hd. From there I select the "Allot 10gb to the other OS" correct? And this is where the PS2 data will be stored? I downloaded the PS2 format software from the PS store but that didn't help so maybe the formatting is the hd is what is affecting my PS2 games? Thanks for the advice so far.[/quote]That's only for installing Linux.
You get that option when you format the HDD.
Nothing to do with PS2 games.

I have a 60GB PS3 and I'm having a problem playing Chrono Cross. The game just freezes at certain points in the game whenever I try to use magic. If I don't use magic, it plays just fine.

The weird thing is that the problem isn't listed on the Sony website, the only two problems were extremely minor. That's why I decided to play the game and plunk down 10 hours of my life into it.

Anyone here heard of such a problem? Or is there something wrong with my ps3?

Alright thanks for the info about the 10gb partition. Hopefully this will be the final question from me. I was told I should format the hd and see if the option comes up when you first insert a PS2 game to create a partition because I didn't get this the first time I did. I guess it is worth a shot because I'm pretty much out of options at this point. Anyone think this might work? :cry:

My PS3 lost it's settings for no apparant reason .
It did an HDMI [re]detect and I noticed all of my settings were changed to the defaults .

Anyone have an idea why this would happen or a solution to keep it from happening ?

I believe if you hold the power button down too long, the PS3 resets some of its output settings? That might be the issue.

anyone find out a way to back up the hard drive? how do you back it up and can you back it up to an external hard drive..

what i mainly want to achieve is getting all the gamesaves from all ps1 and ps2 onto my computer for future keeping

I think you can just copy stuff to flash memory devices and I think possibly even USB hard drives. Should be really easy to back up game saves (I'll probably do that too, just in case the hard drive ever dies).

How do I play PS2 games online using the PS3? I have played the OrangeBox game online with no problems. I tried to play (PS2)WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2007 online, but when I select in the game online it says that there is no network connected?

[quote name='D_Icon']How do I play PS2 games online using the PS3? I have played the OrangeBox game online with no problems. I tried to play (PS2)WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2007 online, but when I select in the game online it says that there is no network connected?[/QUOTE]Some games, the online has been removed. It should work for games which still has the server running. Although you might have to configure network settings for some games (which should be in the game itself I think).

[quote name='shadylane']anyone find out a way to back up the hard drive? how do you back it up and can you back it up to an external hard drive..

what i mainly want to achieve is getting all the gamesaves from all ps1 and ps2 onto my computer for future keeping[/QUOTE]

I would think you would have to hook it up to a PC and make a copy of it. I don't really know any other way.

[quote name='Gourd']I believe if you hold the power button down too long, the PS3 resets some of its output settings? That might be the issue.[/QUOTE]

It probably was , sometimes I change my TV mode and turn off the PS3 'blind' .
Thanks , I won't be doing it that way anymore .

[quote name='Richlough']It probably was , sometimes I change my TV mode and turn off the PS3 'blind' .
Thanks , I won't be doing it that way anymore .[/quote]Just don't hold it down for too long.
Hold it until you hear the first 'beep' and let go.

I do it blindly with the controller.
Like if I switch to a TV channel and the PS3 is still on...

I'll move the left stick or right stick to wake the controller up.
Hold done the PS button for a few seconds.
Then X, left, X.

Or if I need to turn off the controller without looking at the screen:

Move the stick.
Hold down PS button for a few seconds.
Rapidly tap down a few times to be sure I'm at the last option (it doesn't keep going, will stop at the last option).
Hit X.

[quote name='dallow']Just don't hold it down for too long.
Hold it until you hear the first 'beep' and let go.

I do it blindly with the controller.
Like if I switch to a TV channel and the PS3 is still on...

I'll move the left stick or right stick to wake the controller up.
Hold done the PS button for a few seconds.
Then X, left, X.

Or if I need to turn off the controller without looking at the screen:

Move the stick.
Hold down PS button for a few seconds.
Rapidly tap down a few times to be sure I'm at the last option (it doesn't keep going, will stop at the last option).
Hit X.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , I tried to study it .
From the dash its D-pad wake then hold PS button , which defaults to Turn off system [enter on DVD remote] then it for some resaon defaults to yes [enter] .

I just started usiing my new 60gb PS3 last night. Played a few DVD using upconversion and I have to say that they looked really good on the PS3.

Does any know what the settings in DVD playback all mean?

Ok, I'm done streaming things from my PC to the PS3. My network is too flaky :p

So, any video I download I'm putting on the PS3 hdd. My question is, is there a utility for the computer I can use to change the album title of divx files so that they group well on the PS3 or am I going to have to manually edit each file's information on the PS3 to have any sort of organization?

[quote name='daroga']Ok, I'm done streaming things from my PC to the PS3. My network is too flaky :p

So, any video I download I'm putting on the PS3 hdd. My question is, is there a utility for the computer I can use to change the album title of divx files so that they group well on the PS3 or am I going to have to manually edit each file's information on the PS3 to have any sort of organization?[/QUOTE]Unfortunately, you gotta manually edit, but I recommend you use a keyboard to do so. It might be made easier in the next update (since it was a 2.0 option).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Unfortunately, you gotta manually edit, but I recommend you use a keyboard to do so. It might be made easier in the next update (since it was a 2.0 option).[/quote]Yeah, I've got a KB/M hooked up. If I'm not mistaken, you can edit an entire folder. So when it dumps in something like 2008-02-08 you can just change that all at once. Just need to make sure I import things from the same category each time to make it simple.

This is passable. There doesn't seem to be a program in existence that edits the tag that the PS3 looks at. Does it just create its own for video files?

Does anyone have issues with their PS3 randomly starting up when remote startup is enabled? I've tried enabling it a few times, and even though my PSP was off, the PS3 would occasionally start up by itself, many times right after I turned it off. I'd like to have the remote start option available but I don't want it turning itself on like that. Any fixes?

[quote name='metaly']Does anyone have issues with their PS3 randomly starting up when remote startup is enabled? I've tried enabling it a few times, and even though my PSP was off, the PS3 would occasionally start up by itself, many times right after I turned it off. I'd like to have the remote start option available but I don't want it turning itself on like that. Any fixes?[/QUOTE]I had that happen myself too. I hear it can sometimes be a network issue, which is why I disable my remote start if I don't plan to use it.

I just got my 60GB PS3 from Gamefunk, and I love it, and since my 360 just crapped out on me(again), I'll have a lot more time with it.

But what I'm asking is how does the PS game to PSP connectivity work? Is it possible to download any PS game to the PSP if you put the actual game in the disc drive first?

I'm just confused with the whole thing. In short, I want to play my PS1 games on the PSP.

It's basically remote play for PS1 games. You place the PS1 game in your PS3 and either set it to remote play or turn it off if you have the "wake on remote play" setting on. Then as long as you can connect to your ps3 you can play the PS1 game in it's(PS3) drive. You are not downloading the actual game to your PSP, just playing it remotely.

Hey, question about transfering PS1 games to the PSP. I gameshared with a friend to get the 2nd crash game. I tried to copy it to my PSP and I got the message that "the PSP is connected with a different account. If you copy, the certificate for the other account will become invalid".

What does this mean? Will the other games on my PSP no longer work?

[quote name='Blackout542']Hey, question about transfering PS1 games to the PSP. I gameshared with a friend to get the 2nd crash game. I tried to copy it to my PSP and I got the message that "the PSP is connected with a different account. If you copy, the certificate for the other account will become invalid".

What does this mean? Will the other games on my PSP no longer work?[/QUOTE]Well, a PS1 content is registered under the user who bought it. If you transfer it to your PSP, all your stuff becomes invalid. I cannot confirm that if you copy one of your games back, whether the account will switch.

[quote name='buffdrew84']here's a stupid question;

can use my wireless guitar hero 3 guitar on my ps2 to play guitar hero 1 and 2[/quote]

No. PS2 wont regonize it -_-V

[quote name='buffdrew84']thanks, that sucks[/QUOTE]Activision/Red Octane did not set it to work with the PS2 hardware USB reading. That's the main reason why it does not work.

TMK...good job being on top of the questions. Thanks. It's nice not having the PS3 board getting cluttered up with question threads.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, a PS1 content is registered under the user who bought it. If you transfer it to your PSP, all your stuff becomes invalid. I cannot confirm that if you copy one of your games back, whether the account will switch.[/quote]

Hmm. I'm still confused. So basically you can only gameshare from one account and transfer those games to your PSP? That really doesn't make any sense. So will it fuck up my PSP or only the games that are on there?

[quote name='Blackout542']Hmm. I'm still confused. So basically you can only gameshare from one account and transfer those games to your PSP? That really doesn't make any sense. So will it fuck up my PSP or only the games that are on there?[/QUOTE]It's made to protect against those who will purchase a PS1 game, then try to share it throughout the internet. And also, your PSP becomes your PSN account. I'll let you know later if it works, because I have two PSPs (old and new) and plan to put my Japanese content on my old one.

Hey guys. I just recently picked up a PS3 and I wanted to transfer my PS1/PS2 game saves over. Transferring the PS2 game saves with the memory card adapter was easy, but for some reason I can't figure out how to transfer my PS1 game saves. I'm new to the PS3 world, but does anyone one know how to do this, or is it just not possible? Sorry if this was asked earlier, but I did a quick search and nothing came up. Thanks in advance.

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but what is the best way to play GH1 & GH:Rocks the 80's on a PS3 with a PS2 SG guitar ?
Or can I not do it at all ?

[quote name='Ma12kez']Hey guys. I just recently picked up a PS3 and I wanted to transfer my PS1/PS2 game saves over. Transferring the PS2 game saves with the memory card adapter was easy, but for some reason I can't figure out how to transfer my PS1 game saves. I'm new to the PS3 world, but does anyone one know how to do this, or is it just not possible? Sorry if this was asked earlier, but I did a quick search and nothing came up. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]You must create a PS1 virtual memory card. If you are using a third party PS1 memory card though, it will not work (only 1st party ones).
[quote name='Richlough']I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but what is the best way to play GH1 & GH:Rocks the 80's on a PS3 with a PS2 SG guitar ?
Or can I not do it at all ?[/QUOTE]I dunno about the SG Guitar, but I know the Guitar that came with the first GH will work on PS3 with the right adapter. ALL other GH games will not, thanks to Red Octane/Activision trying to protect against unlicensed guitars (so they created a signal to block them), causing all guitars to not work with any adapter (and there's no possible way to make it work, unless Red Octane/Activision creates an adapter).

[quote name='Jest']Id wait for the rumored 120 gig with DS3 controllers. Or at least wait until theres some news from Sony.[/QUOTE]

I agree. DS3 controllers are supposed to be a lot better than the original sixaxis. I hate the sixaxis since it's way too light and I love the rumble feature.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You must create a PS1 virtual memory card. If you are using a third party PS1 memory card though, it will not work (only 1st party ones).[/quote]Thanks. Yeah, I created a PS1 virtual memory card and used an Official PS1 memory card to transfer the data, but for some reason it still won't read it or I can't seem to find where the icon is.

[quote name='Jest']Id wait for the rumored 120 gig with DS3 controllers. Or at least wait until theres some news from Sony.[/quote]

If you somehow luck up and find a 60, then go that route. Otherwise, wait for this one.

I'm inclined to say go large, for the backwards compatibility. Also, because games seem to be having mandatory installations more often.

[quote name='Rasen']I'm inclined to say go large, for the backwards compatibility. Also, because games seem to be having mandatory installations more often.[/QUOTE]
BC is a legit reason to go with the 80, HD size is not. The $100 premium isn't worth it for an extra 40 gigs of space (that's $2.50/gig!).

[quote name='Ma12kez']Thanks. Yeah, I created a PS1 virtual memory card and used an Official PS1 memory card to transfer the data, but for some reason it still won't read it or I can't seem to find where the icon is.[/QUOTE]Try creating another, because I'll mention two glitches I once had early on with my PS3 (back in early 07).

One time I saved a Xenogears saved data (from my PS3) to a memory card, and could no longer read anything on the memory card. I deleted that game save and had no issues since then (I just created another card and saved to it).

One time my Final Fantasy card said no data, and I know for sure it had all my FF saves. I just restarted my PS3 and they all came back. After that, I copied my saves twice onto two memory cards, just in case something goes wrong.

Go for the 80gb... You can always replace the HD if you need or want more space, it's as simple as sliding in a giant cartridge. I'm thinking about upping my HD as well, so I can add linux play emulators, and be ready for games that require mandatory installations

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You must create a PS1 virtual memory card. If you are using a third party PS1 memory card though, it will not work (only 1st party ones).
I dunno about the SG Guitar, but I know the Guitar that came with the first GH will work on PS3 with the right adapter. ALL other GH games will not, thanks to Red Octane/Activision trying to protect against unlicensed guitars (so they created a signal to block them), causing all guitars to not work with any adapter (and there's no possible way to make it work, unless Red Octane/Activision creates an adapter).[/QUOTE]

The SG is the guitar that came with GH1 .
I was wondering what adapter to get , I don't care if it doesnt work properly any other way as long as the guitar will work .

bread's done
Back