PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='erehwon']What are some PS2 games that look good in HD? I was thinking about trying SOTC on my parent's HDTV. I'm going to be sticking with ps2 games for awhile since ps3 games are still pretty expensive at the moment. That and most of the ones I want aren't making an appearance till this summer or later.[/quote]I haven't tried a lot of PS2 games yet, but SotC hurt my eyes on my plasma thru HDMI. Maybe I have some settings wrong. I can say that Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy look great, especially GT4. They are both 1080i games.

BTW, Target's been clearancing PS3 games recently and if your target is slow you may find something good there.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']GAF had a long explanation comparing the DRM on each console/Steam, and I believe it was told games can be downloaded an unlimited number of times to one user account (although you are limited to 5 shares), but I gotta look it up again.[/QUOTE]

Woah...does that mean to an unlimited number of consoles, like Steam (but allowing you to use content without beying online, unlike X-Box Live)? If so, that's fantastic, as it means Sony's system is just as good as Steam-arguably better, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than what Microsoft and Nintendo are doing.

I'll actually consider buying stuff from them if that's the case! I thought it was tied to just 5 consoles (which is why some people are stealing games by "sharing" them-it's not supposed to be a share, it's that it authorized it to up to 5 consoles...I just want it to be able to authorize to a single console, but as many times as I need for if I get a new system or it dies or whatever).

What are some PS2 games that look good in HD? I was thinking about trying SOTC on my parent's HDTV. I'm going to be sticking with ps2 games for awhile since ps3 games are still pretty expensive at the moment. That and most of the ones I want aren't making an appearance till this summer or later.

[quote name='mguiddy']Who cleaned up this thread?
It isn't sticky anymore... get it, sticky == dirty. #-o:roll:
[/quote]Linkin's doing some clean-up. He's created a thread that has links to most-viewed/used threads like this one. All you have to do is go to that one and click the appropriate thread.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Linkin's doing some clean-up. He's created a thread that has links to most-viewed/used threads like this one. All you have to do is go to that one and click the appropriate thread.[/quote]
I didn't notice that new thread at the top.
Meh, I can see that making things tidier, but it makes it more difficult to see if there are new posts. Those type of "index" threads are really only useful if they are a "LOOK HERE FIRST NEWBIES" type of post. Oh well. No more discussion of that/this here. :D

[quote name='erehwon']What are some PS2 games that look good in HD? I was thinking about trying SOTC on my parent's HDTV. I'm going to be sticking with ps2 games for awhile since ps3 games are still pretty expensive at the moment. That and most of the ones I want aren't making an appearance till this summer or later.[/quote]I haven't tried a lot of PS2 games yet, but SotC hurt my eyes on my plasma thru HDMI. Maybe I have some settings wrong. I can say that Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy look great, especially GT4. They are both 1080i games.

BTW, Target's been clearancing PS3 games recently and if your target is slow you may find something good there.

[quote name='erehwon']What are some PS2 games that look good in HD? I was thinking about trying SOTC on my parent's HDTV. I'm going to be sticking with ps2 games for awhile since ps3 games are still pretty expensive at the moment. That and most of the ones I want aren't making an appearance till this summer or later.[/QUOTE]2D games like Atelier Iris games, Shining Tears, etc. look very sharp.

I have a problem with my PS3. I recently bought a used PS3. The guy rarely used it. He formatted the hard drive before he sold it to me. The first time I turned the PS3 on the screen would flicker. I use an HDMI cable for audio/video. I updated the firmware hoping it would fix the problem, no luck. The problem isn't with the cable or the TV, as it works fine with my 360. The screen only flickers at the "dashboard," or main menu. When I am watching a movie or playing a game the screen is fine. The guy before never used HDMI. I have searched for a solution, but have yet to find one. Has anyone dealt with this before, or do I have to call Sony?

I was thinking about picking up a warranty when I get a PS3 in june. I wanted to get it form Sony. How are they with repairs and how much should I expect the warranty to run me?

[quote name='blakgpgt']I have a problem with my PS3. I recently bought a used PS3. The guy rarely used it. He formatted the hard drive before he sold it to me. The first time I turned the PS3 on the screen would flicker. I use an HDMI cable for audio/video. I updated the firmware hoping it would fix the problem, no luck. The problem isn't with the cable or the TV, as it works fine with my 360. The screen only flickers at the "dashboard," or main menu. When I am watching a movie or playing a game the screen is fine. The guy before never used HDMI. I have searched for a solution, but have yet to find one. Has anyone dealt with this before, or do I have to call Sony?[/QUOTE]Well, the PS3 might flicker (make a cracking sound) when switching resolutions (due to handshaking issues with some TVs), but you shouldn't have it on the XMB.

It'sMagneto;4181930 said:
I was thinking about picking up a warranty when I get a PS3 in june. I wanted to get it form Sony. How are they with repairs and how much should I expect the warranty to run me?
They don't have a warranty.

For a tv thats 13 inches Toshiba , which components do I need to buy ? ( can a ps2 cable component work for ps3 because if I does the ps3 I got doesn't work -_- if not phew )

PS2 component cables do work on the PS3; however, if the PS3 was previously set to an HDTV resolution higher than your TV, you need to reset the resolution to 480i by pressing the PS3 power button and holding it until it beeps a 2nd time.

Basically, the steps are:
-Press the PS3 power button and the PS3 beeps.
-Hold the power button for 5 seconds and the PS3 beeps again.
-After that it should boot up.

If this does not work, then something is up with the PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS2 component cables do work on the PS3; however, if the PS3 was previously set to an HDTV resolution higher than your TV, you need to reset the resolution to 480i by pressing the PS3 power button and holding it until it beeps a 2nd time.

Basically, the steps are:
-Press the PS3 power button and the PS3 beeps.
-Hold the power button for 5 seconds and the PS3 beeps again.
-After that it should boot up.

If this does not work, then something is up with the PS3.[/quote]

thank you Mana! :)

Also how do I sign up for the network thing ? Also the psn games on the console is under someone else and if I make a new account will I still have those games?

[quote name='endlessPRO']thank you Mana! :)

Also how do I sign up for the network thing ? Also the psn games on the console is under someone else and if I make a new account will I still have those games?[/QUOTE]As along as you keep the previous account (you don't have to sign it online), you can play their games (as long as it isn't Warhawk, since that's tied to just one account).

As for creating a new account, first off, create a new PS3 console login. Then you go to the PlayStation Network area under the XMB, and then try to create a PSN account. You'll need an email and have to provide some info. Be sure to create a master account. Sorry, I don't remember all the steps, but just say you want to sign up for a PSN account after you create a new PS3 login.

Thanks for the info.

Well it seems that the account has warhawk so I am assuming I need to ask him the acc id and pw to get on it :/

Can I sign up online for a account or I have to do it on the console?

[quote name='endlessPRO']Thanks for the info.

Well it seems that the account has warhawk so I am assuming I need to ask him the acc id and pw to get on it :/

Can I sign up online for a account or I have to do it on the console?[/QUOTE]I believe you can now sign up here (just be sure to get your region right):
http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm

And you choose sign-up/sign-in

Because I can login with my PSN-ID there to get PS Store for the PC content. I believe some others did sign up there, but I can't remember. Signing up on the console isn't bad, especially if you have some sort of USB keyboard (to enter all information).

Since Warhawk is a retail game and SCE wanted to prevent game sharing, it only ties to one account. All other PSN games can be accessed with the account you create.

I was thinking of playing my playstation 3 on my parent's DLP TV until I can afford an LCD for my room. Do you think this is a good choice. I'm not sure what resolution it can go up to though.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']I was thinking of playing my playstation 3 on my parent's DLP TV until I can afford an LCD for my room. Do you think this is a good choice. I'm not sure what resolution it can go up to though.[/quote]
If it's between SD and HD, yes it's a good choice. :dunce: ;):lol:

Not a huge deal, but Kmart has the Sony brand PS2/PS1 memory card adapter on clearance now for $11.00. Save 4 bucks on something I'm going to buy anyway. OK!

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Well, it has component hook-ups on the back.[/quote]

Even if it has component, that doesn't mean it can go HD or even progressive scan. Just look up the make and model number of the television online and you should be able to find a spec sheet.

Is there anyway to setup passwords for users like there is on Xbox 360?

[quote name='yukine']Even if it has component, that doesn't mean it can go HD or even progressive scan. Just look up the make and model number of the television online and you should be able to find a spec sheet.[/quote]
Well, it says HDTV on the side and it's a Hitachi 57". I can't find the model number on it though.

Well then it should be able to go over 720p +, so it'll definitely look awesome with the PS3. Just get yourself a set of component cables.

[quote name='yukine']Well then it should be able to go over 720p +, so it'll definitely look awesome with the PS3. Just get yourself a set of component cables.[/quote]
Thanks, now I just need some games. Any recommendations?
Update: I just bought motorstorm and resistance: fall of man. Just got done playing motorstorm in 1080i and I nearly crapped myself. I

[quote name='endlessPRO']For a tv thats 13 inches Toshiba , which components do I need to buy ? ( can a ps2 cable component work for ps3 because if I does the ps3 I got doesn't work -_- if not phew )[/quote]
No offense, but for a 13" TV who fucking cares? Use the composite cable that comes in the box.

[quote name='endlessPRO']For a tv thats 13 inches Toshiba , which components do I need to buy ? ( can a ps2 cable component work for ps3 because if I does the ps3 I got doesn't work -_- if not phew )[/QUOTE]
Your 13" t.v. probably doesn't have component inputs. I'd wager to say that there's no way it does. So, you were using component cables on a composite input.

So, is there some sort of consummate user guide to doing all sorts of crazy stuff? I've got file sharing set up with my home network (for some reason it couldn't get through any wifi encryption, so I said fuck it and moved the router, hardlining my PS3, 360, and PC...best thing I ever did), and I know I can set up remote play with my PSP when it arrives... by the way, does the remote play allow access to shared media that the PS3 can access? Eg, if I rip a DVD to my hard drive and encode it in divX so I can stream it to my PS3, can I access it on my PS3 from my synched PS3 at any WiFi hotspot?

Are there any other cool features?

How do I set up Folding@home to kick in automagically if it is idle? And can I remote access while folding?

What's the skinny with PS3-Linux? Is there anything awesome that it can do?

And why isn't the original post a FAQ with the questions all us noobs keep asking? ;)

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']So, is there some sort of consummate user guide to doing all sorts of crazy stuff? I've got file sharing set up with my home network (for some reason it couldn't get through any wifi encryption, so I said fuck it and moved the router, hardlining my PS3, 360, and PC...best thing I ever did), and I know I can set up remote play with my PSP when it arrives... by the way, does the remote play allow access to shared media that the PS3 can access? Eg, if I rip a DVD to my hard drive and encode it in divX so I can stream it to my PS3, can I access it on my PS3 from my synched PS3 at any WiFi hotspot?

Are there any other cool features?

How do I set up Folding@home to kick in automagically if it is idle? And can I remote access while folding?

What's the skinny with PS3-Linux? Is there anything awesome that it can do?

And why isn't the original post a FAQ with the questions all us noobs keep asking? ;)[/quote]
Act like you are going to start folding, but bush the triangle button, you should be able to handle things from there.

PS3 linux isn't that great in my opinion. Nothing is really optimized to use the SPEs (using geekbench the PS3 received pretty poor scores), and there are no drivers for the RSX, so video performance is pretty crappy.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yup. No breaks on the store CC for signing up (plus the rate was atrocious), though.

Updating the FW now.[/quote]
You mean you didn't get a free 2 liter of Pepsi?!
You got ripped off.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Sign of the apocalypse: I bought a PS3!

Found a new 60GB at KMart. Will be setting it up shortly.

My wallet got raped, but it'll recover.[/QUOTE]Wow, I'm surprised to here. Congrats on the news. :D
[quote name='endlessPRO']What is Folding ?

Also can I download my movies into my ps3 ?[/QUOTE]

Folding is leaving your PS3 on for a while to help cure diseases. I don't, but some do. Btw, since you have Burnout Paradise now, you gotta join CAG nights. :D

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Wow, I'm surprised to here. Congrats on the news. :D

Folding is leaving your PS3 on for a while to help cure diseases. I don't, but some do. Btw, since you have Burnout Paradise now, you gotta join CAG nights. :D[/QUOTE]

Also there's no excuse not to be running it on your PC whenever it's on. Unlike the PS3 version, the PC version just runs in the background and you can't even tell it's running (you continue using your system like normal). The PS3 version unfortunately has to run by itself.

I find this tread way to late.

Looks like they had extended the warranty on the launch systems to Feb but I didn't know. Guess I can see if Sony will work with me when I call again.

I've got the same kind of errors in the top two pictures, my text seems okay though. People said these were fake in the thread above but I've seen them too. Haven't taken my own pictures but I've seen them in Assassin's Creed and in NBA 07. Plus other graphical errors in other games too.

Someone mentions GPU overheating, which is what I think it is. Don't think I can do anything about it without opening the system so I guess I have to send it back to Sony.

ps3glitches013.jpg

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Wow, I'm surprised to here. Congrats on the news. :D

Folding is leaving your PS3 on for a while to help cure diseases. I don't, but some do. Btw, since you have Burnout Paradise now, you gotta join CAG nights. :D[/quote]

How did you know I got Burnout Paradise o_O!

I won't be playing it that much till saturday since I work 3-11pm this week :/ and I get home around 12-2 o_O!

so Folding is just leaving your ps3 on and does pretty much nothing?

What are some cool things you can do on the ps3 anyways

[quote name='endlessPRO']How did you know I got Burnout Paradise o_O!

I won't be playing it that much till saturday since I work 3-11pm this week :/ and I get home around 12-2 o_O!

so Folding is just leaving your ps3 on and does pretty much nothing?

What are some cool things you can do on the ps3 anyways[/QUOTE]Here's what Folding is:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-PS3.html

I knew you got Burnout Paradise because one of my good friends here (well, I actually brought him to CAG) sold it to you. :) He use to play with us, and now we are one person less. :whistle2:(

Many cool things, but I'll get into them, when I feel like it. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Here's what Folding is:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-PS3.html

I knew you got Burnout Paradise because one of my good friends here (well, I actually brought him to CAG) sold it to you. :) He use to play with us, and now we are one person less. :whistle2:(

Many cool things, but I'll get into them, when I feel like it. ;)[/quote]

I got the game last night . Tried it before I went to bed. Its very nice but I hate pressing select everytime to check the map and pressing triangle or w/e to get out of it.

Maybe I will start playing with you guys. When I don't get busy.

I have to make a psn account so I shall put that out soon.

Wow, I've never seen that before NamP.
I've seen some glitches in AC but they were purely from the game alone.
Hope you can work something out.

I had a graphical glitch on TW08, but it was only due to a bad save file. Once I deleted it and started over, it was fine. Playing on red and white checkered fairways hurts your eyes.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Also there's no excuse not to be running it on your PC whenever it's on. Unlike the PS3 version, the PC version just runs in the background and you can't even tell it's running (you continue using your system like normal). The PS3 version unfortunately has to run by itself.[/quote]
:imwithst:

TRUTH! And a decent dual-core box puts out significantly more points per day than a PS3 does, while using about half the electricity. With Quad Cores there's no comparison. Of course, everyone should run both. :)

bread's done
Back