PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='BigD63']I was wondering how well the PS2 emulation is on a PS3 without an Emotion Engine. It would help if you could compare it to the Xbox360 backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

WAAAAAAAAAY better than the 360 emulation.

Try to use TVersity as your media server. I can never get Windows Media Server to work, it always disconnects, but TVersity has been flawless.

[quote name='refusedchaos']WAAAAAAAAAY better than the 360 emulation.[/quote]
Good because the 360's emulation sucks. Is there any downside to its emulation? Should I just play ps2 games on my ps2 when I get a PS3?

Every time I play a PS1 game on the PS3, the controller defaults to digital-only mode. Is there a way to have the analog sticks on by default?

Good idea Link, but I think with how many different pool threads there are (I just clicked through to another repository, then to yet another one), it would probably be a better idea to have some of this information stored in a wiki.

The wife okayed buying a PS3, so I'm hunting for a used 60GB model around Atlanta. Unfortunately, the closest one at a GS is in Dalton, 60 miles away. I've found a 20GB much closer.

The real question is, is wireless really worth the extra $70 and 120 miles worth of gas? My 360 isn't wireless either, and unless I get that adapter for free, it's probably not going to be.

I figure I could set up a wireless bridge. It would be the same amount as the difference in price, but would cover the Xbox, 360 and PS3. Thoughts?

Oh yeah: saw MLB 08 in action at MicroCenter, that's my first game.

Would someone be kind enough to point me somewhere where I can read about features of the upcoming PS3s? I've been dying to get one lately, but I don't want a 40gb...

Every time I play a PS1 game on the PS3, the controller defaults to digital-only mode. Is there a way to have the analog sticks on by default?

Good idea Link, but I think with how many different pool threads there are (I just clicked through to another repository, then to yet another one), it would probably be a better idea to have some of this information stored in a wiki.

The wife okayed buying a PS3, so I'm hunting for a used 60GB model around Atlanta. Unfortunately, the closest one at a GS is in Dalton, 60 miles away. I've found a 20GB much closer.

The real question is, is wireless really worth the extra $70 and 120 miles worth of gas? My 360 isn't wireless either, and unless I get that adapter for free, it's probably not going to be.

I figure I could set up a wireless bridge. It would be the same amount as the difference in price, but would cover the Xbox, 360 and PS3. Thoughts?

Oh yeah: saw MLB 08 in action at MicroCenter, that's my first game.

Would someone be kind enough to point me somewhere where I can read about features of the upcoming PS3s? I've been dying to get one lately, but I don't want a 40gb...

Anyone know why Heavenly Sword switches to 480p or 720p after the game loads when it's 1080p in the XMB?

[quote name='Trakan']Anyone know why Heavenly Sword switches to 480p or 720p after the game loads when it's 1080p in the XMB?[/QUOTE]

That triple don't upscale. The game's native resolution is 720p.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I think your only option on the horizen is the MGS4 80GB, with BC, DS3 controller, and MGS4.
~S[/quote]

Thanks for the info

How do you set games to output from the PS3 to a HDTV in 1080p?

I went into Display Settings and clicked off 720p, 1080i. I could not unclick 480p because it was grayed out. 1080p was clicked.

I was able to get Assassin's Creed to 1080p, but Motorstorm defaulted in 480p.

Thanks

I used to own Motorstorm and I believe its maximum resolution is 720p. Since you had it unchecked, it defaulted down to 480p. Double-check the back of the box or us.playstation.com to be sure.

Games cannot be "forced" into 1080p. There are numerous titles that do not display higher than what is stated on the back of the box.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']probably a safety net. every tv supports 480, and every game supports 480.
~S[/QUOTE]That's the reason. The problem is the ONLY HD resolution MotorStorm, Resistance, and some other games support is 720p. You cannot ever get MotorStorm to display in 1080i.

Mostly that was for the earlier games right? I'm pretty sure they've changed things so that you can upscale regardless of what the developer set the game to default display in.

It is game dependent. If a game says 720p only, that means 480p, and 720p. If your TV can scale 720p to 1080p, fine. But the PS3 does not do scaling like the 360, so it can only display what developer explicitly supported. The developer can do scaling, if they like, but if they don't, the PS3 can't do that for them.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Mostly that was for the earlier games right? I'm pretty sure they've changed things so that you can upscale regardless of what the developer set the game to default display in.[/QUOTE]Nope, there are still games that are 720p only. Devil May Cry 4 is one of them. Burnout Paradise is that way too but receiving an update to support 1080i. The situation is the PS3 has a hardware scaler, but in order to enable it, it does suck up some memory. And due to the PS3 having kind of limited memory (most devs don't try streaming PS3 memory like they should), it gets left out.

So, what's the difference between this and the PS3 101 thread? I always used that as the general PS3 question thread? Or do we have two PS3 101 threads now?

I have Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Folklore and don't really care for much else.

I'm trying to trade for Ratchet & Clank here, but that's really the only game left.

GTA4 is coming out soon. Aside from that, what can I really buy?

GT5 Prologue is a big maybe. But I don't feel too comfortable paying $40 for a demo. I know it's a very extensive demo, but seriously the car line-up is comparable to Need for Speed on PS1.

I figure, I have a PS3, a beautiful Samsung LCD, a surround sound. I should stock up on Blurays and supplies and hide in a bunker until MGS4 comes out?

Haze comes out May 20th, Dark Sector is a decent game. If you have friends over often, try Rock Band.

Don't think just in terms of exclusives because of a lot of the later multiplatform titles work just fine on the PS3.

From EB games it looks like Brothers in Arms may or may not come out on June 3rd.

By then there should also be some new stuff on the new PSN store.

I own a ps3, xbox360, and a wii, and im wondering what ps3 games i should get, i have warhawk, resistance, untold legends, motorstorm, and folklore,i plan to get unreal and mgs4. i mainly buy non exclusives for the 360. what good ps3 games should i try or get?

I my controller stand that I bought for 29 at GS. has two controller stand slots and two usb ports which can charge extra controllers or bluetooth mics.

you can see it here, or under the spoiler.

343stnb.jpg

[quote name='Thomas96']I my controller stand that I bought for 29 at GS. has two controller stand slots and two usb ports which can charge extra controllers or bluetooth mics.

you can see it here, or under the spoiler.

343stnb.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I was thinking of picking that one up. It plugs into the wall right?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I was thinking of picking that one up. It plugs into the wall right?[/QUOTE]

yes, it plugs into the wall.

It turns red, while charging and green when completed.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just use a USB port on my PC to charge my controllers. Works well IMO.[/QUOTE]
I use either that or my laptop (since it's always in the living room anyway). It's nice that the USB cable for the PS3 doubles as my PSP cable as well.

I use a pc or motorola phone charger (razr). You can buy ac->mini-usb chargers everywhere now. I rarely have two controllers than need charging at once. And I don't charge them, until I get the warning.
~S

I use the same one as Thomas. Very happy with it, I use one on the USB ports on the side of it to charge my bluetooth headset. I would highly recommend it.

My brother and I saw this steel (painted green) MGS4 PS3 on Kotaku (long before April 1)... not sure what's the deal with it but is that going to be available to the general public (in the US)?

We're trying to find it to pre-order but the only MGS4 PS3 anyone has is the regular 40GB model with MGS4 packed in.

Anyone got any info on it?

[quote name='wesdw369']I own a ps3, xbox360, and a wii, and im wondering what ps3 games i should get, i have warhawk, resistance, untold legends, motorstorm, and folklore,i plan to get unreal and mgs4. i mainly buy non exclusives for the 360. what good ps3 games should i try or get?[/quote]
I'm told Uncharted it pretty good so you should pull down the demo, the same with Ratchet and Clank. Depending on your model, I can't suggest the MGS: Essential Collection enough (even though the second disk of Subsistance is missing).

[quote name='espy605']For multiplatform games I prefer the PS3 version, usually, since it has free online play.[/QUOTE]Ditto. :D

[quote name='smiggity']R&C is a must play if you are into supporting PS exclusives[/QUOTE]Yeah, I love it.

Ok, I bought Warhawk off of the PS store and have to admit that I do regret buying it as downloadable content. At first I enjoyed the game, but after a little time with it, well its not my type of game and I wasn't really having any fun with it. And I haven't played it since about a week after I initially got it.

So for his birthday my cousin got a PS3. The first games he wanted to get was Warhawk and cod4. He is not online yet, he needs to get a wifi router, so he has no psn account. So I offered to just give him mine, which has warhawk on it already. I thought it was a fair trade considering he is giving me his 20gb 360 HD, since he got a 120gb elite and sold his non hdmi 360. He really wants to do it, obviously, free game...

So should I? I feel like its a waste just sitting on my PS3, warhawk that is. And I don't have a multitude of friends on PSN anyways so I would just re-add them on my new account.

If he doesn't have a router how would he download the content onto his PS3? If he is your cousin I doubt he is going to try anything with your info so there isn't really a reason not to give it to him.

bread's done
Back