PS3 Game hard drive install size index

[quote name='Pratt75']This would work for an HDD upgrade right? If not please let me know.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3540622&CatId=1277[/quote]

No, you need to get a SATA drive, that one is PATA. I'm surprised that video I posted didn't mention that.

Just about any of these
Code:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:2676|&Sort=4
will work.

The link doesn't work because of the commission... thing the forum software attaches to certain URLs to get cheapy monies.

You should total all the known games in the 2nd post as well , too see the potential 'grand total' .

[I know some games have 2 sizes , just pick one and be consistent]

Watch the vid link that's posted by mguiddy in post #43. It briefly explains the process.

Woot! Just ordered a 250GB hard drive from newegg.

[quote name='MrDubbs']The guy in the video says you can go up to 250, yet some people are talking about bigger drives..

who is right?[/quote]
At the time the video was made I think 250 was the biggest size 2.5" drive made.
It should be able to handle any size 2.5" drive.

[quote name='Richlough']You should total all the known games in the 2nd post as well , too see the potential 'grand total' .

[I know some games have 2 sizes , just pick one and be consistent][/QUOTE]

Done. 60GB system is already toast if you have all the games on the list and want to install them all. Thats about 25 popular PS3 games on that list = about 60GB. I ended up with over 100 games on the PS2 before I had all the games I wanted :(

Gah this is really ridiculous.

The PS3 is the ONLY system right now that can offer the ULTIMATE gaming experience because of the extra storage of BR and this HDD shit is going to dang near cripple Sony with that. I say ultimate experience because with BR all the sound files can be uncompressed i.e. PCM and Lossless. NO PC game will offer this for a while, see years even after the next console generation. If PC developers pull their heads out of their asses soon enough and stop JUST being graphic whores and become sound one's you might actually see it happen on PC games. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Lossless never makes it to PC gaming. Shame if that happens because then the PC gaming experience will always be inferior to the console one.

You should add a note to the OP that you can delete the install file when you're done with the game or won't be playing it anytime soon if you want to save space.

Edit: The Hot Shots Golf install's only 3599 MB for me, not the 3.61 GB in the OP.

Personally I hate the idea every time you wanna pick up a game from the backstack you'll have to re-install it and wait 5 minutes or more to play it. This just seems absurd to me. I'll grant you that home console games aren't completely pick up and play like a handheld but they're similar. People expect to get into the game fairly soon. We're not talking about PC gamers who will wait forever.
Also I'd ask how do the size of some of these installs compare to PC games? Are they smaller or larger on average? I'm suspecting larger.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You should add a note to the OP that you can delete the install file when you're done with the game or won't be playing it anytime soon if you want to save space.[/quote]

Exactly! I've played all but a handful of the games in the OP. Once I'm done I delete the data. Still got tons of space.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Exactly! I've played all but a handful of the games in the OP. Once I'm done I delete the data. Still got tons of space.[/QUOTE]

One of the biggest issues here though in the pick up and play argument are two games. Hot Shots, which you list playing, is EXACTLY the type of game you just want to pick up and play, same with VF5.
Others could be argued but both of those I just listed have a REQUIRED install.
edit: I'd also add neither are exactly small either, both over 3 gigs.

It took maybe five minutes or so to install and I was done after that. If you're going to play it on and off for months, why bother deleting the data? Neither of those games are games you beat and put down for long periods of time.

I got Hot Shots Golf from GameFly and probably won't buy it for a while, so I have no need for the data right now and am willing to wait a few more minutes whenever I do buy it.

[quote name='Sarang01']One of the biggest issues here though in the pick up and play argument are two games. Hot Shots, which you list playing, is EXACTLY the type of game you just want to pick up and play, same with VF5.
Others could be argued but both of those I just listed have a REQUIRED install.
edit: I'd also add neither are exactly small either, both over 3 gigs.[/quote]

I agree with that to an extent. I only keep multiplayer games. Once I'm done with a singleplayer game it's gone. Right now I have GTA4, RockBand, UT3, Warhawk and COD4 with installed data that's gonna stay there for a while.

For the average joe who only buys a few games a year I don't think it'll mean much.

For someone like me who goes through quite a few games, lets be honest buying a larger hardrive just means shelling out the equivalent of another 2 games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It took maybe five minutes or so to install and I was done after that. If you're going to play it on and off for months, why bother deleting the data? Neither of those games are games you beat and put down for long periods of time.

I got Hot Shots Golf from GameFly and probably won't buy it for a while, so I have no need for the data right now and am willing to wait a few more minutes whenever I do buy it.[/QUOTE]

The issue is more of these games will pop up. While they might not be an issue soon for 40 gig. owners they would for 20 gig. owners,
If most developers would stop being lazy and learn how to optimize for the PS3 this wouldn't be so much of an issue. They need to understand how the BR drive works and code it on the disc accordingly as well as cache from the HDD. This is instead of coding for DVD and the 360 and taking this shortcut. Sony can help show devs. how to better handle the BR drive and "encourage" them. MS has the lead but Sony won the format war and use this as leverage.
I think showing devs. they may not have to worry about compression so much with BR will help. Frankly I can't believe there's any excuse all 3rd Parties can't have uncompressed sound on all PS3 games. After all all multiplatform games are being made to fit on one DVD or two if it's an RPG and those are FMV's right now.

In CAGcast #103 CheapyD talks about how they put the same textures on the disc for Resistance Fall of Man in multiple places on the disc. This allows the bluray drive to find the data quicker without looking through all the data on the disc. This probably explains the smaller install space of Resistance Fall of Man compared to other games on the list. I am not sure if any other developers have used this technique or not.

[quote name='Purkeynator']In CAGcast #103 CheapyD talks about how they put the same textures on the disc for Resistance Fall of Man in multiple places on the disc. This allows the bluray drive to find the data quicker without looking through all the data on the disc. This probably explains the smaller install space of Resistance Fall of Man compared to other games on the list. I am not sure if any other developers have used this technique or not.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion did.

They put the game data on there FOUR times.

[quote name='Purkeynator']In CAGcast #103 CheapyD talks about how they put the same textures on the disc for Resistance Fall of Man in multiple places on the disc. This allows the bluray drive to find the data quicker without looking through all the data on the disc. This probably explains the smaller install space of Resistance Fall of Man compared to other games on the list. I am not sure if any other developers have used this technique or not.[/quote]

I wonder how that comes in to play with Resistance 2. I read an interview with the producer on IGN that stated they're pretty close to filling the disc this go around. That's a trend I'd like to see continue.

[quote name='thelonepig']I wonder how that comes in to play with Resistance 2. I read an interview with the producer on IGN that stated they're pretty close to filling the disc this go around. That's a trend I'd like to see continue.[/QUOTE]

Just so long as the uncompressed sound never gets the boot in the process. I do NOT want to go back to pre-Lossless in gaming.

[quote name='Sarang01']The issue is more of these games will pop up. While they might not be an issue soon for 40 gig. owners they would for 20 gig. owners,
If most developers would stop being lazy and learn how to optimize for the PS3 this wouldn't be so much of an issue. They need to understand how the BR drive works and code it on the disc accordingly as well as cache from the HDD. This is instead of coding for DVD and the 360 and taking this shortcut. Sony can help show devs. how to better handle the BR drive and "encourage" them. MS has the lead but Sony won the format war and use this as leverage.
I think showing devs. they may not have to worry about compression so much with BR will help. Frankly I can't believe there's any excuse all 3rd Parties can't have uncompressed sound on all PS3 games. After all all multiplatform games are being made to fit on one DVD or two if it's an RPG and those are FMV's right now.[/quote]
All I was saying was that a note that you can delete these files when you're done with the games was a good idea for this thread, not that it solves all of the PS3's problems and wasn't meant to cause a rant on those issues.

Sure, it would be nice if Naughty Dog or Insomniac could give lessons to PS3 devs about how to get small load times and low installs/caches, but that's probablynot going to happen with third party devs that probably don't care about that stuff as much as having both 360/PS3 versions on the same page and ready for release on time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']All I was saying was that a note that you can delete these files when you're done with the games was a good idea for this thread, not that it solves all of the PS3's problems and wasn't meant to cause a rant on those issues.

Sure, it would be nice if Naughty Dog or Insomniac could give lessons to PS3 devs about how to get small load times and low installs/caches, but that's probablynot going to happen with third party devs that probably don't care about that stuff as much as having both 360/PS3 versions on the same page and ready for release on time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agreed with your idea Frisky. I had put the little blurb at the end of Post #2. On another note I was thinking of putting down how much space the mandatory updates take but unfortunately it looks like it lumps in any paid content you add in with that download. For instance my Motorstorm updates were about 233mb. I downloaded a pay for update and it became 300mb instead of separating the two downloads. My guess is I would have to google each update to get a size which could be a pain in the ass every time a new update comes out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']All I was saying was that a note that you can delete these files when you're done with the games was a good idea for this thread, not that it solves all of the PS3's problems and wasn't meant to cause a rant on those issues.

Sure, it would be nice if Naughty Dog or Insomniac could give lessons to PS3 devs about how to get small load times and low installs/caches, but that's probablynot going to happen with third party devs that probably don't care about that stuff as much as having both 360/PS3 versions on the same page and ready for release on time.[/QUOTE]

Yes but Hot Shots is Sony.

I posted it in the MGS4 thread but I'll post it here too but it seems like MGS4 will have a 4.5 GB install (it's a display case so it may or may not be).

2514284140_256956e4ee_b.jpg

Virtua Tennis 3 has an option to use the HDD for up to 3403 MB. It doesn't install it all at once, but it copies game data whenever it loads. Mine was around 2 GB when I deleted it to back up my system.

well if you buy another hard drive for extra space do you open up your ps3 and install it inside ?

since I don't wanna open it up and end up destroying it

I forgot to check after the first install, but after the second install, MGS4 left a 4000 MB present on my hard drive. I don't know if it changes from act to act or not, so somebody with just the first install could post what size it is on their hard drive.

Edit: After booting up MGO, it added 550 MB to the install file, so you may want to add that separately, OP, since if you don't bother with MGO, you'll never use up that additional space.

I don't get it.
Why do these games have to install stuff on your hard drive? Can't blu-rays hold enough info themselves? I find it hilarious that sony made a 20 gig model. They shouldn't make anything less than a 150. I suppose my 80 gig will be good for a few years but do they realize they are hurting there sales by having tiny hard drives?

It's because the Blu-Ray drive is too slow, so loading from the disc takes awhile. To help circumvent that, they have mandatory installs.

So guys i just bought the MGS4 bundle. and i know the backwards compatibility is through emulation (damn you Sony) and this may sound very nooby but i was just wondering if i changed out the hard drive if i would still have the backwards compatibility ?

[quote name='Gumby the Green']So guys i just bought the MGS4 bundle. and i know the backwards compatibility is through emulation (damn you Sony) and this may sound very nooby but i was just wondering if i changed out the hard drive if i would still have the backwards compatibility ?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote name='HuppSav']I don't get it.
Why do these games have to install stuff on your hard drive? Can't blu-rays hold enough info themselves? I find it hilarious that sony made a 20 gig model. They shouldn't make anything less than a 150. I suppose my 80 gig will be good for a few years but do they realize they are hurting there sales by having tiny hard drives?[/QUOTE]The 20GB was discontinued in the U.S. in late 2006 (there's only like 150k total of them in the U.S.). It's kind of non-existent to Sony. I could say over 50% of those who have a 20GB have upgraded the HDD (like me to 250GB). Most PS3 consoles are 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB. Most games install do NOT exceed 5GB and you CAN delete what you do not need anymore. Developers utilize the install since people would be complaining about too much loading without it.

Blu-ray holds enough data, but the issue has to do with blu-ray discs have a constant read speed, compared to how DVDs have a fast and slow read speed. Multiple devs haven't become accustomed to it (especially when doing multi-platform games). There are tricks to minimize loading with no install (which the Burnout and Uncharted developers have done), but the majority aren't familiar with it. Reading from the HDD on the other hand, is quicker than any other method, so that's why developers utilize the HDD to speed up load times (and that explains the installs).

As for HDD, going with a large HDD is quite expensive and would greatly increase the PS3 cost, which is why Sony sticks to 40GB or 80GB (40GB increments are industry standard and cheaper to buy in bulk).

[quote name='mguiddy']Yes.[/quote]

So i still have the backwards compatibility? Where are they storing that goodness. well either way I'm happy that i have the option open to me.

[quote name='Gumby the Green']So i still have the backwards compatibility? Where are they storing that goodness. well either way I'm happy that i have the option open to me.[/quote]
Yes.

It's stored in the firmware. Which is stored in a separate memory chip (I think).

Does anyone know the install size for WWE SvR 2008? I jumped on the DOTD and now I'm hoping that my puny 20gb will be able to handle it without having to delete anything.

Full auto 2 has an install, kind of. It seems to be more like a cache. It varies in size, but the biggest I've seen it is around 1721 MB. Also it is semi mandatory, if you have enough space it wont prompt you, but if you are low enough it will prompt you saying that game performance will be impacted, but it will let you continue. Don't know how you guys want to classify it.

Thanks. For what it's worth, the game seems to want that much space but doesn't really need it. My 20gb PS3 is completely full at the moment (literally 0kb left according to system info) and my SvR2008 file size is like 2.1gb. Maybe my loading times are longer as a result but I can't tell.

bread's done
Back