PS3 Game hard drive install size index

[quote name='smiggity']Battlefield BC has a 300mb install[/QUOTE]

Was that required or optional? I will put required unless I hear otherwise.

[quote name='blueweltall']I just got a 250gb Seagate HDD for $80 last month. The hdd swap was simple but somehow I ended up striping two screws.#-o[/quote]

I put in a 320GB and unlike many, I didn't strip a single screw (this was with a 60 GB). For the blue screw I used a precision screwdriver and for the others I used a regular sized one.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a hard drive? Is one brand better than another? I know for hard drives more space you want the more it costs. Has anyone tried the 7200 speed HD's over the 5400?

[quote name='js1']Do you guys have any recommendations for a hard drive? Is one brand better than another? I know for hard drives more space you want the more it costs. Has anyone tried the 7200 speed HD's over the 5400?[/quote]

I haven't messed with it, but I'm pretty sure people have reported NO speed increase with 7200 rpm drives.

What's wrong with lossy sound? If there's a difference between a 320 kbps MP3 and CD, I don't hear it.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Assassin's Creed--------(Required) 1.3Gb
Battlefield BC------------(Required?) 0.3GB
Devil May Cry 4--------(Required) 4.83 GB
Dark Sector ------------(Required) 1.2 GB
Dynasty Warriors 6-----(Optional) 1.86GB[/quote]

It seems rather stupid that you HAVE to use the hard drive. Why can't they just stream the data off the DVD or Bluray disc? Sure it'd result in "loading" screens like the old Gamecube or PS2, but it should be upto the user.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zewone']It's because the Blu-Ray drive is too slow, so loading from the disc takes awhile. To help circumvent that, they have mandatory installs.[/quote]
Ahhhh... I don't buy that. Blu-ray has faster streaming speed (at least 54 megabit/second) than the DVD used in the old PS2 (10 megabit/second). In other words Bluray is five times faster.

[quote name='Sarang01']Personally I hate the idea every time you wanna pick up a game from the backstack you'll have to re-install it and wait 5 minutes or more to play it. This just seems absurd to me.[/quote]
That would be my main complaint. Just this past Sunday I picked-up and played Skies of Arcadia for a brief session. I was able to instantly jump into the game, but if this were a PS3 game, I'd have to wait for 3-4 gigabytes of data to be copied over.

Boring.

Battlefield BC - 466 MB

Orange Box - 579 MB

EDIT: Are we keeping track of patches too? Half the games I get nowadays are patched.

Here's another one for the list, surprised noone has mentioned it yet:

Soul Calibur IV-------------(Optional) 2.6GB

Maybe you should split the lists between optional and required. It's kinda hard to tell which ones are which right off hand. Also, MGO now takes up 1.1gb (an additional 600mbs from what's listed due to game updates). I know this because the game data for MGS4 is over 5gb now.

Added Soul Calibur, Orange Box, Battlefield Bad Company, and Metal Gear Online updates. I will add in any updates over 100mb since I am tracking by GB these would be 0.1 GB. Anything updates smaller than that I won't worry about. The problem with making two lists is that some titles are not so cut and dry which list they would be on. Take Metal Gear Solid 4 for example. If you play the regular game it requires a 4 GB install. Now if you never connected your PS3 to the internet that would be all that is required. If you hook your PS3 up to the internet and played MGO when it came out you needed about another 0.5 GB. Now if you want to play you need about a 1.1 GB install as reported. The thing is that the download sizes are a moving target and what may be optional today may be a mandatory patch tomorrow for either the single player game or the multiplayer game. If you don't connect to the internet with your PS3 at all then your download sizes will be smaller because you never downloaded the patches.

Also are the Battlefield BC and Orange Box installs mandatory?

Overload Raising Hell required 3329 mb
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy uses 4.7 GB not sure if its required or optional
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 required 3 gb

doesnt Drake Uncharted Fortune required hard space same with Burnout Paradise

Overload Raising Hell required 3329 MB
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy uses 4.7 GB not sure if its required or optional
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 required 3 GB
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition required 4.9 GB
Nascar 09 required 128 MB
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars required 4.2 GB
Conan required 670 MB
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty required 2520 MB
Timeshift required 1024 MB
Lost: Via Domus 3 GB
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent 862 MB
Conflict: Denied Ops 2602 MB
Call of Duty 3 603 MB
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII 2 GB

[quote name='Gspoon']Does anyone know how much space Bionic Commando: Rearmed takes up ?[/quote]
Since it's a downloadable game, it doesn't install anything, but it's a 373 MB download.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since it's a downloadable game, it doesn't install anything, but it's a 373 MB download.[/quote]

Even demos install so i thought a downloadable game would do the same
even so all i really care about is how much space the Total game take up.

does anybody know about Merc2 and StarWars TFU ?

transp.gif
Vampire Rain: Altered Species 3801 MB
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames 2729 MB
TNA Impact!
transp.gif
4.75 GB
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2650 MB
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway 2 GB

got all this info from gamefly.com
click on the game and then click on game spec
and look for memory
its the same info from the back cover

[quote name='m_d_amore']fallout3 req space :5000MB[/QUOTE]

I swore it was around 3300 MB. The strange thing is I don't recall the game installing, unless it is during the intro..

Now, when I look at it it was like 4200mb..

[quote name='starmask2k3']how do u delete updates for games from the PS3[/QUOTE]

You have to delete the game data, not the game save.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Valkyria Chronicles: 3344 MB[/QUOTE]

I've noticed a bit of a difference on the optional download....maybe half the load time...not bad.

Updated all games reported up to this post on the main list post. Thanks everyone who contributed. Remember to put down if it is optional or required install if you know.

i know some of u guys know what fifa09 is...
somehow..its not showing up on my game data utility...
Is this normal...
+Cod 5 requires how much HDD?

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

It varies. First off, no install, so it happened in the background, didn't even notice. The game box says 1.55GB, but when I first played, it was 945MB, then I played again and it was 1GB.

Alone in the Dark - Inferno 3784 MB Req'd
Need for Speed Undercover 1 GB Req'd
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe 1.55 GB Req'd
Shaun White Snowboarding 1 GB Req'd
Mirror's Edge 555 MB Req'd
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 3.2 GB Req'd
Legendary 4.5 GB Req'd
Tom Clancy's End War 5 GB Req'd
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 GB Req'd
Little Big Planet 600 MB Req'd
Far Cry 2 3.5 GB Req'd
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows 2 GB Req'd
BioShock 5 GB Req'd
Fracture, NBA 09 The Inside, Mercenaries 2: World in Flames, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Resistance 2, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, TNA Impact!, Saints Row 2, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, The Bourne Conspiracy, Soul Calibur IV = REQ'D

bread's done
Back