PS3 Hori Fighting Stick 3 instock at Amazon.com at $49

Not only is it a great buy people. Its also easy to mod, and just all around a much better stick. The madcatz sticks are terrible with the exception of the T.E, and even that has a few issues. Go with this and mod it or get a Real Arcade Pro 3. You cannot be disappointed =).

[quote name='meanbean']For those of you that can't find a Madcatz SF4 SE joystick, the PS3 Hori Fighting Stick 3 is a great buy at $49. (Get em while they last.)

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Fighting-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1236528459&sr=1-1

Those looking to mod it with Sanwa parts can go to SRK for help with how to do so.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136372
pixel.gif

[/quote]

Is this the cheapest its been?

Thanks
Saint

[quote name='equest943']Are these the same sticks as the Hori , DOA, and VF Sticks for 360?[/quote]

Yes, this is the same stick used for the PS3 Hori Soul Calibur IV Stick.

[quote name='ippomakunouchi13']Not only is it a great buy people. Its also easy to mod, and just all around a much better stick. The madcatz sticks are terrible with the exception of the T.E, and even that has a few issues. Go with this and mod it or get a Real Arcade Pro 3. You cannot be disappointed =).[/quote]
I mentioned this in another thread, but this is not mod-friendly to newcomers like the HRAP3 is. You need to dremel in order to mod the stick and the buttons are soldered directly onto the PCB. Other things worth mentioning are the square-gated restrictor plate (US audiences are used to octagonal; this part is easily modded) and the button layout is a bit goofy, but you can always reassign the buttons.

That said, it's a fine purchase as a starter stick.

As somone not experienced with modding it looks like I'd be spending almost as much as a SFIV TE FightStick. While the normal SFIV FightStick can easily be modded to Sanwa parts for less then the TE and with less hassle and cost (assuming you'd have to buy all the tools like I would) then the Hori stick.

I don't need a stick today so I'll wait until I can get a SFIV FightStick and just mod it with Sanwa parts.

Good catch but I'd wait until you can get a FightStick since they're incredibly easier to mod, especially looking from the pictures at SRK. Not to mention, look at the wait for this, 1 - 2 months.

[quote name='ippomakunouchi13']Not only is it a great buy people. Its also easy to mod, and just all around a much better stick. The madcatz sticks are terrible with the exception of the T.E, and even that has a few issues. Go with this and mod it or get a Real Arcade Pro 3. You cannot be disappointed =).[/quote]

i think you are talking out of your ass here. I'm willing to bet you've never modded one of these or even owned one. If you did you'd realize this stick is utter shite unmodded, and extremely difficult to mod. You need to solder individual buttons onto the pcb, a nail file to allow the sanwa buttons fit. You also need to drill out the bottom just to fit a decent jap joystick. Please, if you don't know anything about a product don't speak so freely about it like you do. The SE stick is infinitely easier to mod, you just drop on the parts pretty much and you're done. The buttons are quick disconnect as well. I saw one of these fighting sticks at a local gamestop for 29.99 and I passed cuz it's not even worth that much in my eyes.

I happen to disagree, soso. It is pretty easy to mod and a great stick for the price. No need to say someone is "talking out of their ass".

The stick is great for beginners stock, and it is very customizable. You just have to be smart about it.

Shipping: Usually ships within 1 - 2 MONTHS. See Shipping Rates. See return policy.

Pretty fast shipping. Surprised it isn't 3 months.

I couldn't find any for the 360. Is it just the hori ex 2? I'd like to get one when they get back in stock.

[quote name='edwardya']dang.. was too slow on this..
transparent_pixel.gif

[/QUOTE]

Yea, is there a way to do like an email alert system? I have wanted that for a few items but can we do that, not only for amazon but other places as well?

Thanks.

I own both a 360 and PS3 Hori Ex Fighting Stick. I decided to not go and buy a TE Stick, but rather, just try to mod my own stick. I got all the tools surprisingly, but want to know the estimated total cost it'll take to mod the stick and also time it should take. Thanks.

[quote name='sosodead']i think you are talking out of your ass here. I'm willing to bet you've never modded one of these or even owned one. If you did you'd realize this stick is utter shite unmodded, and extremely difficult to mod. You need to solder individual buttons onto the pcb, a nail file to allow the sanwa buttons fit. You also need to drill out the bottom just to fit a decent jap joystick. Please, if you don't know anything about a product don't speak so freely about it like you do. The SE stick is infinitely easier to mod, you just drop on the parts pretty much and you're done. The buttons are quick disconnect as well. I saw one of these fighting sticks at a local gamestop for 29.99 and I passed cuz it's not even worth that much in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Chillax, dude.

In for one -- not sure how economically viable it is for me since I only have SSF2THDR to play with, but I've passed on the 360 version in the stores too many times to let this one slip by.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Why is it so hard for them to produce 360 sticks?[/QUOTE]

Heh when they were plentiful at gamestops nobody cared. In the middle of modding the EX2 with the FS3 being next on the list, now that i've finally sucked it up and started you know this really isn't all that hard if you already have the tools . I had more trouble getting the artwork sticker off then getting the buttons off the pcb.

Still in stock... Picked up a second one today. For those who think its hard to mod, its actually quite easy. If you know how to desolder/solder then its not that bad. You just have to be creative though fitting in a new stick.

[quote name='tyrone888']Thanks for the heads up. Picked one up just now. Glad they are still in stock at Amazon.
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

They should be in stock for the foreseeable future, so I hear from a little dicky bird, so perhaps you should take advantage.

I'm just curious about what makes this a bad stick? I'm *NOT* modding anything. I prefer those...uh...non-ball sticks, but other than that...

[quote name='jimbellows']I'm on the fence on whether to order this today or not...
clear.gif
clear.gif

clear.gif
[/quote]

Why are you on the fence exactly? This stick is fine especially for SF4.

Has this stick went out of stock before? I have always seen it in stock. The stick is very very low end, and a pita to mod just a heads up.

[quote name='sosodead']Has this stick went out of stock before? I have always seen it in stock. The stick is very very low end, and a pita to mod just a heads up.[/quote]

And soso is back, crapping all over the FS3. Why do you even post? The stick is great for the price, and more importantly, it is in stock. It keeps going in and out of stock.

Out of stock.

I just bought the last 10. Thanks! Got a lot of dremeling and soldering to do when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
What no one ever mentions when they start whining about soldering and desoldering the buttons is that the solder points are freaking huge. This isn't some minuscule point here like trying to solder something to a ps2 board and a simple 9 dollar desolder tool from radioshack will get it off the buttons just fine. The joystick is the only thing you're kinda stuck with without some major work.

Anytime you have to solder something or shave off of lug of plastic, or drill a hole through metal, the tag "easily moddable" goes out the window.

Since it's out of stock, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270356949609&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=270354839987&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BP%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%252BUCP%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D41

This guy has em for $5.00 more with free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question, right now it's not looking good for alternative fight sticks in regards to availability/price. Firstly, in regards to price, there's really no quality fightstick to be had for $50 to begin with.

Having played with both extensively, I believe the SE fightstick is superior out of the box. Mine didn't have the washer problem and it worked just ok for a stock stick. It does cost $20 more, but worth it for me because of its mod potential.

I got 2 SE fightsticks which I promptly stripped and slapped in a Japanese arcade quality joystick + buttons with just a screwdriver.

Hey, if you don't care about modding, are a casual street fighter, don't want to wait for or pay more for a SE fightstick, by all means get the FS3. I just get ticked when people claim it's easily moddable, cuz it's not. I've got all the tools to do so, but I didn't even bother because there are just better options out now, just gotta track one down.

Do not buy this stick if you want to make it infinitely hard on yourself to mod it, unless you already have the tools and skill. The Madcatz SE edition is a simple swap with a neat and clean finish.

I used to own Hori's Tekken 4 and 5 sticks but sold them due to the fact that the buttons were soldered directly onto the PCB.

well thats refreshing to hear about the SE fightstick, considering the overwhemingly bad things ive heard about it. i preordered a TE stick back in january, but am still waiting for amazon to fulfill it, but am very interested in also getting a SE to mod if/when they produce more

bread's done
Back