PS3 to $299 rumor? (OP Updated: SD links)

Best Buy is giving you a $20 giftcard when you get a PS3 and any EA sports game (for the PS3 duh). So if there is a price drop adding an extra $20 onto that would be a great deal.

Some very interesting developments. Who'd have thunk that Sony would end up with the worst BC this generation (that is, dropping it entirely before they've sold 10 million units)?

I'm interested to see how the price drop pans out. I didn't think it had any legs to it until I started reading about retailers dropping the 80GB system.

With the 80GB done, I could see Sony dropping the 40GB 100$. I just hope they come out with full emulation for BC, would be a stupid move to drop BC when Sony basically invented it.

I have a 80GB, so I assume if they have some major BC update in the firmware, it will benefit 80GB consoles as well.

[quote name='mykevermin']Some very interesting developments. Who'd have thunk that Sony would end up with the worst BC this generation (that is, dropping it entirely before they've sold 10 million units)?

I'm interested to see how the price drop pans out. I didn't think it had any legs to it until I started reading about retailers dropping the 80GB system.[/quote]

Still yet to be seen if they really are dropping the BC. I have heard growing talk of the repackaged 80gb minus the Motorstorm game will be the "announcment".

Just a few hours....... it would be funny if *nothing* happened :whistle2:#

If they drop the 80 entirely I wonder if it means they may have had a software emulation breakthrough that would let any PS3 have BC. I know almost nothing about emulation, but I assume it is technically possible, and the PS3 should be powerful enough to do it.

It seems like something is up, or else the 80 wouldn't be mysteriously disappearing. If I remember correctly, Sony originally said the "limited edition" part of the 80GB was the Motorstorm bundle, not the 80gb unit itself. But I could be wrong. If nothing else there is so much uncertainty Sony's going to have to say something. As of right now they basically have their fingers in their ears going "lalalalala internet we don't hear you"

It'd be nice if tomorrow was a huge, all-encompassing sort of thing-- PS3 40gb to $299, 120gb at $399, "greatest hits" series started, etc. I'm not getting my hopes up but it does seem like something big is up.

I sort of have my hopes up b/c if it does drop I'm getting it for BD player lol I'm out of the PS3 scene right now, but I know most of the games I'm interested in I have or played on my 360, but yeah I def. want a HiDef movie player =D and MGS4 in the future.

I would love for PS3 to become $299. Honestly don't care about being B/C and I don't have much interest in the games yet (don't care for sports/shooters/racing). But I am in the market for a Blu-ray player, and plus there are games coming out this year: GTA, Ghostbusters 3...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...ps3-dead-120-160gb-with-dual-shock-3-incoming

Mole: 80GB PS3 dead, 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3 incoming

By Ben Kuchera | Published: January 27, 2008 - 10:45PM CT

Our inside source of all things video gaming has been right almost every time it comes out of the shadows to give us information, so I'm going to dispense with the back story. Wherever his or her information is coming from, it's usually solid. After I spoke to Sony about the possible discontinuation of the 80GB PS3 model, I lit the mole-signal.

Working late into the night on Saturday, I heard a noise behind me. For both of our safety, I didn't turn around. "You've talked to Sony," the mole said in a gravelly whisper. "Tell me what they told you."

I repeated the information we reported on Friday: Sony is sticking to a two-model approach at retail, but the company won't comment on whether or not the other model would be the 80GB system. The 40GB system seems safe. I asked the mole what information he had.

"Sony is, in fact, phasing out the 80GB PS3. Sony is going to stay with the two-SKU approach though, and the prices look to stay the same," the mole told me. I heard sirens in the background, and the mole seemed nervous. "The Spiderman 3 pack-in will disappear as well once the 80GB unit is gone. In order to maintain a similar value proposition to the 80GB/Spiderman 3 bundle, I expect to see a storage increase to 120 or 160GB at the same price point, plus the new Dual-Shock 3 controller... what are you trying to accomplish with this story?"

"I'm just trying to get to the bottom of Sony's plans for their hardware so my readers can decide whether or not they should buy now, or hold off. But I'm only one man," I say.

"Now we're two," the mole whispers, and when I look around in surprise... my informant was already gone.

Hmm.... this doesn't bode well, replacing the 80GB with a bigger hard drive and a dual shock 3 doesn't do much for me. I don't see a lot of people suddenly jumping on the PS3 bandwagon because of this. I know they eventually want the PS3 to be a full media center with DVR, so this falls in line with that objective. I may still wait til a price drop

i'm just gonna wait for a price drop...BC isnt that big of a deal for me to go on a wild goose chase for a 60gb when i have the money, its gonna primarily be a bluray player anyway, and a few ps3 exclusive games

[quote name='daminion']considering how easy it is to replace the HD on your own, this move underwhelms me.[/QUOTE]
The average person cannot do this.

[quote name='mwynn']The average person cannot do this.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, a below average person probably can't do it, but an average person can easily. you pop off the side, unscrew 1 screw slide out the drive, replace with new drive, slide in, put the screw back in, and your done. can do it in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkM9wiZePfs

[quote name='Drnick']I disagree, a below average person probably can't do it, but an average person can easily. you pop off the side, unscrew 1 screw slide out the drive, replace with new drive, slide in, put the screw back in, and your done. can do it in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkM9wiZePfs[/quote]

wow that is easy. average, I say yes

Seems like an ok place to ask these questions. I don't want to play too many PS2 games on my PS3 but I would like to play some that I missed in the PS2's Heyday. I want to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, GoW 1&2, and I would like to be able to replay all of the MGS games. So... Is the 80 gb unit the right one for me? Also; I know the MGS games don't support 480p widescreen but which ones of the others support this? Finally does the PS3 do 480p over HDMI? I hate to ask so many question but google searching provided vague answers at best. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='jughead']Seems like an ok place to ask these questions. I don't want to play too many PS2 games on my PS3 but I would like to play some that I missed in the PS2's Heyday. I want to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, GoW 1&2, and I would like to be able to replay all of the MGS games. So... Is the 80 gb unit the right one for me? Also; I know the MGS games don't support 480p widescreen but which ones of the others support this? Finally does the PS3 do 480p over HDMI? I hate to ask so many question but google searching provided vague answers at best. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Just to answer your first question, right now the 80 gig is your only option for playing PS2 games if you buy from a retail store. You may be really lucky and be able to find a 60 gb system somewhere and that would be your best bet.

I'm not really sure about your other two questions, sorry.

[quote name='jughead']Seems like an ok place to ask these questions. I don't want to play too many PS2 games on my PS3 but I would like to play some that I missed in the PS2's Heyday. I want to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, GoW 1&2, and I would like to be able to replay all of the MGS games. So... Is the 80 gb unit the right one for me? Also; I know the MGS games don't support 480p widescreen but which ones of the others support this? Finally does the PS3 do 480p over HDMI? I hate to ask so many question but google searching provided vague answers at best. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
What kind of tv do you have that you want 480p?

[quote name='Drnick']I disagree, a below average person probably can't do it, but an average person can easily. you pop off the side, unscrew 1 screw slide out the drive, replace with new drive, slide in, put the screw back in, and your done. can do it in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkM9wiZePfs[/quote]

Exactly right. Plus what wasn't mentioned is the instructions for doing this are included with the PS3. My brother in law updated his from 20gb to 120gb in a matter of 5 minutes.

[quote name='uli2000']Is the 5 free blu-rays being extended again?[/quote]

I haven't heard yet, I went ahead and bought a PS3 just in case it isn't extended. If the offer is extended with a better selection of movies, I'm just going to take my PS3 back and rebuy it.

maybe i'm not exactly sure what I am trying to ask. Basically; will the games I listed be 4:3 or 16:9? And the ones that are 16:9; Will they be stretched 4:3 or True 16:9 (upconverted, or whatever). Finally; is this possible over HDMI on an 80gb PS3?

[quote name='jughead']maybe i'm not exactly sure what I am trying to ask. Basically; will the games I listed be 4:3 or 16:9? And the ones that are 16:9; Will they be stretched 4:3 or True 16:9 (upconverted, or whatever). Finally; is this possible over HDMI on an 80gb PS3?[/QUOTE]
Depends on your tv how the settings will be. What is the native resolution of your tv?

[quote name='mwynn']Then that is what the ps3 will use over hdmi.[/QUOTE]

Ok... So will the aforementioned games be in true widescreen on my tv?

[quote name='jughead']Ok... So will the aforementioned games be in true widescreen on my tv?[/QUOTE]
Sorry I misread what you typed, I do not think any ps2 game will push further than 480p. As far as I know only GOW 2 will go widescreen. You may have to consult the box of the game.

[quote name='jughead']Ok... So will the aforementioned games be in true widescreen on my tv?[/quote]

Not necessarily, there's an option to have PS2 games stretched to 16x9 or have them in their normal resolution. So if the game can run in widescreen on the PS2, then you will be able to do that on the PS3. PS2 games that run in 4x3, you can either stretch to 16x9 or keep at 4x3, depending on personal preference.

You also have an option called smoothing, which can help remove jaggys from textures. Smoothing is only useful for certain games, however, because it can cause a loss of detail do to blurring. That said, I have been very happy with how PS1 and PS2 games look on the PS3. Definitely worth going for one of the Backward Compatible SKUs, if you can find one.

[quote name='Drnick']Hmm.... this doesn't bode well, replacing the 80GB with a bigger hard drive and a dual shock 3 doesn't do much for me. I don't see a lot of people suddenly jumping on the PS3 bandwagon because of this. I know they eventually want the PS3 to be a full media center with DVR, so this falls in line with that objective. I may still wait til a price drop[/QUOTE]

any news on when the Ps3 will be able to be used as a DVR and will there be a fee (probally)

do they still sell the DVD Players with hard drives (dont see any any longer at best buy)

getting tired of comcast jacking up their rates 14.95 per month for the dvr now

[quote name='Agrippan']Not necessarily, there's an option to have PS2 games stretched to 16x9 or have them in their normal resolution. So if the game can run in widescreen on the PS2, then you will be able to do that on the PS3. PS2 games that run in 4x3, you can either stretch to 16x9 or keep at 4x3, depending on personal preference.

You also have an option called smoothing, which can help remove jaggys from textures. Smoothing is only useful for certain games, however, because it can cause a loss of detail do to blurring. That said, I have been very happy with how PS1 and PS2 games look on the PS3. Definitely worth going for one of the Backward Compatible SKUs, if you can find one.[/QUOTE]

Thank you as well.

[quote name='slidecage']any news on when the Ps3 will be able to be used as a DVR and will there be a fee (probally)

do they still sell the DVD Players with hard drives (dont see any any longer at best buy)

getting tired of comcast jacking up their rates 14.95 per month for the dvr now[/QUOTE]
PlayTV is UK only for now.

Yeah there are still dvd players with hard drives. I saw a dvd player with a tv turner the other day.

[quote name='jughead']maybe i'm not exactly sure what I am trying to ask. Basically; will the games I listed be 4:3 or 16:9? And the ones that are 16:9; Will they be stretched 4:3 or True 16:9 (upconverted, or whatever). Finally; is this possible over HDMI on an 80gb PS3?[/QUOTE]

when using HDMI you can set the resolution whereever you like. You can also change from 4:3 or 16:9 at your discretion. Whether or not its stretched depends on the game, if the game supports 16:9 then it won't be stretched you just have to set it in game. God of War has that option. I'm using a 60gb PS3 I don't expect there to be any difference, other than the PS2 games it plays.

So, the source(s) of the price-drop rumor for 01/28/2008 were FOS. I guess we should have figured when there were not more reputable sites abuzz with this rumor. Guess my PS3 purchase will have to wait....:cry:

I JUST now bought myself a PS3 (got the Sony card I applied for last week in the mail today)

total cost with shipping and tax is 427. I have 12 months of 0% interest on the card with no payments (I WILL be making payments to avoid being wacked with the interest at the end of the promo)

In 6-8 weeks I'll get a 100 dollar credit on my account for a "qualifying sony purchase" (anything sony over 299) and since I bought it at sony style.com, I get 5 sony points for every dollar spent (399 dollars, times 5 = 1995 sony points)

They let you use the sony points you JUST accumulated on that SAME purchase (100 sony points = 1 dollar) so that just took another 19 dollars off my purchase. (they credit in 2 billing cycles)

so, total is $427 - $100 credit - $19 from sony points = $308 with shipping and tax included. not too bad of a deal. I"ll also get spiderman 3 with the package, and 5 free movies via mail.

I sold my HD-DVD player for 130 bucks on ebay (after shipping and fees) so it will really only cost me $178 out of pocket for a brand new 40Gb PS3 / blu-ray player. Now all I need is for some good ps3 games to come out, lol. Until then I'll be happy with it as a blu-ray player.

[quote name='jughead']I want to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, GoW 1&2, and I would like to be able to replay all of the MGS games. So... Is the 80 gb unit the right one for me? [/QUOTE]

You can check compatibility here (be sure to spell correctly and include hyphen name if there's one)

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

80GB is the only realistic option unless you want to pay insane prices on eBay, there's a rumor of Sony bringing out another model with 120-160 GB HD, not sure if it will have BC feature, if so, I presume it will be the same as 80GB (PS2 GPU with emulated emotion engine).

To be safe, I would just go get 80 GB now, hang on to it without opening it and see what Sony will do within a month (this will give you option to return it if Sony is coming out with larger HD + PS2 BC and you are willing to wait), if you get it by 31st and by Feb 29th you decide to keep the system, you can get the free 5 Blu-Ray movies

http://www.bluraysavings.com/Summer_Bundle-Online_Order_Form.pdf

I have a question, Sony will definitely only stick with emulation BC now right? They are basically never gona go back to hardware BC because it costs so much?

[quote name='vincewy']You can check compatibility here (be sure to spell correctly and include hyphen name if there's one)

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

80GB is the only realistic option unless you want to pay insane prices on eBay, there's a rumor of Sony bringing out another model with 120-160 GB HD, not sure if it will have BC feature, if so, I presume it will be the same as 80GB (PS2 GPU with emulated emotion engine).

To be safe, I would just go get 80 GB now, hang on to it without opening it and see what Sony will do within a month (this will give you option to return it if Sony is coming out with larger HD + PS2 BC and you are willing to wait), if you get it by 31st and by Feb 29th you decide to keep the system, you can get the free 5 Blu-Ray movies

http://www.bluraysavings.com/Summer_Bundle-Online_Order_Form.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot! Big Help! I got my sony card in last night and plan on going to some retailers today (CC, BB, Walmart). The Best Buy I went to last night was totally out of 80GBs. I hope they didn't pull them from the stores. I hope they are just going to let them deplete themselves. We'll see.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I have a question, Sony will definitely only stick with emulation BC now right? They are basically never gona go back to hardware BC because it costs so much?[/QUOTE]
I would say that would be true.

Upconverting has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of a game.

Regarding backwards compatibility, I really wish Sony had used the PS2-on-a-chip as part of the PS3's design, the way they did for the PS2. It's not THAT expensive of a chip. Use it for I/O again, or let developers use it as a sound processor or something.

bread's done
Back