PSN Changing To SNEA - April 1st

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
Surprised no one has posted this yet. On April 1st, everybody with a PSN account will be asked to accept some new ToS, then have their account transferred to the new Sony division, Sony Network Entertainment America. Here's the new ToS if anybody wants to read them.

http://www.qriocity.com/psnlegal/us/tos.html

I'm guessing this is mostly because of the Jailbreak, but there's speculation that this is their move towards a paid online service. And if you read the ToS (#15), it does specifically say they are allowed to charge a fee whenever they see fit. Probably won't be a big deal for anybody really, unless they start charging for the service.

On April 1st?

I hope this is an AF joke, especially this part

SNEA, at its sole discretion, may modify the terms of this Agreement at any time, including imposing a fee for creating PSN accounts.

Doesn't add up. I smell a lulz in the works. Haha, SNEA......wow.

All I can think of is Smee.....
bobhoskinsassmee.jpg

[quote name='Access_Denied']
http://www.qriocity.com/psnlegal/us/tos.html

And if you read the ToS (#15), it does specifically say they are allowed to charge a fee whenever they see fit. Probably won't be a big deal for anybody really, unless they start charging for the service.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like they can charge without any user confirmation.

It was a piece of spam mail that got sent out that looked like a phishing something or other. Take it as you will. Anybody who believes the OP is smoking crack since the email looked cheaper than a 5th Avenue sidewalk vendor knockoff.

[quote name='Scorch']On April 1st?

I hope this is an AF joke, especially this part[/QUOTE]

Considering Qriocity is Sony's streaming division, this is hardly a joke.

Any chance they're doing this because their new system may not have Playstation in its name? It doesn't really affect me either way because I really don't use online on my PS3 that much but I'm just wondering if thats possible?

[quote name='MoCiWe']Any chance they're doing this because their new system may not have Playstation in its name? It doesn't really affect me either way because I really don't use online on my PS3 that much but I'm just wondering if thats possible?[/QUOTE]
Yea- with the phone, the new PSP, and the potential for other online ventures, I could understand the need for them to seperate out their network (SNEA) from their computer division (SCEA).

Makes me wonder if this will change the store updating schedule, gamesharing, etc.

April 1 is the start of Q2 so it makes sense. Here is to hoping it is a joke as I like having a free account or rather having an option for a free account.

For anybody thinking it's a joke, April 1st was the day last year that they removed OtherOS. Sony isn't like Google; they have no sense of humor. Just ask Geohot.

[quote name='Access_Denied']For anybody thinking it's a joke, April 1st was the day last year that they removed OtherOS. Sony isn't like Google; they have no sense of humor. Just ask Geohot.[/QUOTE]

I. . . don't know where this is going. . .

As long as access to PSN(or whatever the fuck it's gonna be called now:roll:) remains FREE unless YOU decide to go the PSN+ route then I have no problems with accepting a new TOS.

But the moment $ony starts charging EVERYONE for access to their network, then they .

Too bad, since we're not signing anything this holds absolutely zero weight. It's a minor button press to keep playing online and we can ignore it at that instant. Sony is wasting their time.

[quote name='GamesIsRLife']Too bad, since we're not signing anything this holds absolutely zero weight. It's a minor button press to keep playing online and we can ignore it at that instant. Sony is wasting their time.[/QUOTE]

You signed on the dotted line when you signed up with PSN. Cell phone companies don't make you sign anything either when they get bought up or change plans.....Seems like Sony can do whatever they want. I'm thinking PS+ was a huge testing ground for paid services. And it looks like it was a success. Wouldn't be surprised if PS+ was the only online option after this little swicheroo.

Last year, didn't they release the patch that removed the "Other OS" support on April 1? And everybody thought that was a joke...

Of course, April 1, 2010 was a Thursday, so it was the normal update day. April 1 this year is on a Friday so.. I really, really hope this is a joke.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As long as access to PSN(or whatever the fuck it's gonna be called now:roll:) remains FREE unless YOU decide to go the PSN+ route then I have no problems with accepting a new TOS.

But the moment $ony starts charging EVERYONE for access to their network, then they .[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. I just don't want to pay for online since its been free this whole time.

Sony would be really losing some of their "faithful" crowd by going to a mandatory paid service. That has always been one of their pitches, free online.

[quote name='GTmaster39']You signed on the dotted line when you signed up with PSN. Cell phone companies don't make you sign anything either when they get bought up or change plans.....Seems like Sony can do whatever they want. I'm thinking PS+ was a huge testing ground for paid services. And it looks like it was a success. Wouldn't be surprised if PS+ was the only online option after this little swicheroo.[/QUOTE]

I didn't sign anything and they have NO say. Our hardware, our choice. These scare tactics mean nothing. We don't read them except for the part that says 'press X to play online'. Cell phones? Lol, as if I'd own one of those.

On a side note I refuse to pay to play online. Live is disgusting and I'll immediately cancel anything from Sony if they make the same mistakes M$ did. Funny that adding a fee will lose them so much money because there's no way I'm the only one who will.

[quote name='GamesIsRLife']I didn't sign anything and they have NO say. Our hardware, our choice. These scare tactics mean nothing. We don't read them except for the part that says 'press X to play online'. Cell phones? Lol, as if I'd own one of those.

On a side note I refuse to pay to play online. Live is disgusting and I'll immediately cancel anything from Sony if they make the same mistakes M$ did. Funny that adding a fee will lose them so much money because there's no way I'm the only one who will.[/QUOTE]

I get where you're coming from, I'm not trying to be a bad guy. But you gotta understand that there are only 3 major competitors right now, and at anytime they can start charging, or charge more. And where are you gonna go? Dreamcast? NES? Homebrew is huge, and I have a Caanoo for that. No one needs popular consoles to have a welcoming experience to something new and free. The old ones do just fine. I like GP Holdings, they encourage development on their hardware. Who needs IRC on a portable gaming device? This guy. :)

I was under the assumption that Sony was always going to have some kind of free online experience, while still trying to find new markets.

Why don't people get that the fine print states that you pressing X is by all matters of fact you SIGNING the agreement?

Sony isn't going to force charge people anything, you'll just have the option. The only way they even CAN charge you is if you leave your Credit Card info on file. They even state that if you don't want this option you get your wallet money back. No harm, no foul.

Yeah don't assume my tone is aggressive towards you or anyone. At least not yet, lol. I just write what I'm thinking.

With a collection as big as mine I can drop these faulty new scams at any time and have plenty to enjoy for years. Sony would be slaughtering their business to make such a mistake. Frankly I'm quite sick of these updates and stupid new terms that hold no merit. I'd mod my console just to bypass all that FW crap. I still buy my games. Piracy is the only thing Sony can attack and thankfully that's a very small problem these days.

Caanoo?

I believe ISP fees are enough to play online. If a company charges anything extra they deserve to fail. Greed shall not be rewarded you know? If Sony chooses to offer unnecessary things and charge a fee then I don't care. Plus has no advantage for me and the gaming, the only thing that matters, remains free.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Why don't people get that the fine print states that you pressing X is by all matters of fact you SIGNING the agreement?

Sony isn't going to force charge people anything, you'll just have the option. The only way they even CAN charge you is if you leave your Credit Card info on file. They even state that if you don't want this option you get your wallet money back. No harm, no foul.[/QUOTE]

That X just means 'skip this crap and get back to playing'. There's nothing binding about it, hell for all they know someone else pressed that button. If anything it's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that we say we'll follow while thinking 'F that'. After all when we paid for our PS3's we assumed we'd keep everything we paid for. Meanwhile the PS3 has been losing features and the customers received no credit in return. That nullifies any of the crap Sony sends us. Option? Nah, either we press X to skip the crap or leave the console with even less functionality. I'd rather lie than allow them to cut out features I actually use.

There's simply no way in hell Sony can charge for online, or just about anything else they're currently offering for free. It's virtually impossible to do that. W Now, next gen is a different story.

But of course, this won't stop the fear-mongering

[quote name='ssjmichael']Also let's try not to feed the troll here.[/QUOTE]

So far so good, lets keep it constructive guys.

[quote name='GamesIsRLife'] Piracy is the only thing Sony can attack and thankfully that's a very small problem these days.[/QUOTE]

Piracy != small problem.

I believe ISP fees are enough to play online. If a company charges anything extra they deserve to fail. Greed shall not be rewarded you know? If Sony chooses to offer unnecessary things and charge a fee then I don't care. Plus has no advantage for me and the gaming, the only thing that matters, remains free.
Do you have a clue as to the variety of costs that go into letting people play games online?

That X just means 'skip this crap and get back to playing'. There's nothing binding about it, hell for all they know someone else pressed that button. If anything it's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that we say we'll follow while thinking 'F that'.
For the most part it doesn't matter if you or your dog pressed the button, or you read the materials or not. 99% of agreements have that covered and it's all on you.

You know that Mom whos son charged over $1k dollars to her credit card on xbox? She didn't agree to it. Still has to pay it.

EDIT: I feed who I want to feed!

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Piracy != small problem.

Do you have a clue as to the variety of costs that go into letting people play games online?

For the most part it doesn't matter if you or your dog pressed the button, or you read the materials or not. 99% of agreements have that covered and it's all on you.

You know that Mom whos son charged over $1k dollars to her credit card on xbox? She didn't agree to it. Still has to pay it.

[/QUOTE]

Well said. There's no such thing has a free meal.

Someone has to add those servers, someone has to maintain those servers. New servers needed to be added often.

I used to work for GoDaddy.com when I lived in Gilbert, and I can honestly tell you.....Dedicated Servers are fucking expensive. Especially at 2 to 3 grand a pop. Those where the highlight of working there because it produced huge commission.

So if Sony want's to charge, by all means, do it. But make it something that EVERYONE wants! Not just what Sony thinks we want.

Piracy is nowhere near as big as they make you think. Perhaps in other countries it's a larger problem but not in the main territories. Gamers know they need to support future games. It's just a scare tactic.

Gaming online has been free on all platforms except one for many years. There's no argument that you should have to pay now. Companies make their money in other ways and the servers are there already, it's part of the games they deliver. Or like many PC games let the users run the servers/games. Or stop shoehorning multiplayer modes in games that don't need them. There's no excuse to pay $60 for a new game (not that many of us here do) and then be forced to pay more for the other half. You want to charge to play online? Cap game prices at $30. End of discussion.

Enh, it still doesn't count. This is a little different of a case. Your example is a purchase. This is a contract and it falls flat. I've never agreed, the button press was to prevent Sony from illegally turning my console into a paperweight. Unless I'm compensated I'll do as I damn well please and they can't say anything.

Ugh, if I had a nickel for every time some nitwit began using the 'troll' card in place of having a better argument... I don't care who you're calling a troll, it's stupid.

Does it force me to pay?
Do I lose any of my downloads?
Is this service going to be slower?

If any of the above are NOT true then I don't care.

I was just thinking something. If this gets bad enough, and hypothetically speaking everyone decides to abandon consoles all together, the computer industry would be doing the same thing to us.

There is no getting around this until a company steps forward and releases a current gen/next gen open console. People would flock to it.....well at least the DIY'ers. Casual gamers will always support the "Big 3" and their games and pay for these services.....It's never going to stop. It's capitalism at it's best. And like all great things, they must eventually come to an end or grow.

It's just gonna take time. And so far, the videogame industry is completely different from the music industry and the movie industry. And even those haven't matured yet, and that crap has been going on for 12 years or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']There's simply no way in hell Sony can charge for online, or just about anything else they're currently offering for free. It's virtually impossible to do that. W Now, next gen is a different story.

But of course, this won't stop the fear-mongering[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GamesIsRLife']...using the 'troll' card in place of having a better argument... I don't care who you're calling a troll, it's stupid.[/QUOTE]

I like his first word better, I started reading this topic and it was the same things I was reading over at Gamespot/Gamefaqs, my first response was "for shame CAG" I thought you knew better than to jump to conclusions with absolutely no facts.

I'm agreeing with Cheapest again (in as many weeks) I'll play a wait and see and I think that's how everyone else in this thread should behave, if and when they say "You Must PAY" then I'll get mad and pissed, but until then, speculating on nothing more then a new EULA/TOS and their switch over to combining their two services into one is just that a money saving cost to integrate business units.

Isn't that what all companies want money, and they'll save money by doing this in the long run. They know how much people HATE paying to use XBL, so why would they steal this from MS and loose the only thing that they have on the competition that being free online gaming. That doesn't sound like the smartest move to me.

And as for them taking Other OS, the blame falls on Geohot, no one else (if he hadn't opened pandora's box you'd still have Other OS on your systems period. You could blame him but he's in South America skipping town for good...uhh I mean on spring break right now. ;)

I don't think they'll do something stupid (I hope to God not) but I don't see this being the case and as far as the massive jumping on the band wagon / speculation I keep on reading that this means something else entirely than what it is without any additional details or specifics being told to us is just a stupid thing to do.

I'd prefer to not have to eat my own words, but I'll go with wait and see and not get my pitchfork sharpened up and the torches ready to go just yet...

[quote name='uncle5555']And as for them taking Other OS, the blame falls on Geohot, no one else (if he hadn't opened pandora's box you'd still have Other OS on your systems period. [/QUOTE]

Eh, Other OS was axed when the slim came out, Sony was clearly moving toward removing it before the system was hacked.

Anyway, if we end up getting charged for online access on our systems I'm done with buying games that aren't strictly single-player, and certainly won't buy Sony's next console.

Yeah, they want Geo as a scapegoat but he's not the one to blame. Sony used Linux for tax evasion purposes. A few years ago I read they were trying to market it as a PC to avoid some special import taxes to certain regions. Now that they've delivered the console they can steal back a feature people paid for and go back to calling it a gaming platform. They would have fixed it otherwise.

Frankly I don't care about Linux as gaming is the only thing I use it for. I'd just as easily cut the movie/music/picture features too, trade them for BC again (despite owning all the other consoles). Sony just seems to want to do anything to abuse their customers.

I guess the whole point is when will enough of us tell Sony 'NO'? We didn't make enough noise when they cut other features and started with their stupid stunts. Now they think they can get away with more. We found the keys to open up the system and that's great. These lawsuits and such show us that Sony hasn't learned anything.

[quote name='uncle5555']
And as for them taking Other OS, the blame falls on Geohot, no one else (if he hadn't opened pandora's box you'd still have Other OS on your systems period. You could blame him but he's in South America skipping town for good...uhh I mean on spring break right now. ;)
[/QUOTE]

He'll get extradited back to America, I'm sure Sony has dudes in the bushes right now ready to pounce on his martini drinkin ass!

But seriously. There is no where to hide on this planet anymore. This is gonna be another Adrian Lamo case all over again...... could take anywhere from a month to a year to catch him. (If he actually ran in the first place and isn't hiding out at another friends house.)

[quote name='GTmaster39']He'll get extradited back to America[/QUOTE]

It's a civil lawsuit not a criminal case.

These ever-shifting terms need to go though as they don't hold water in court and I, personally, have some point-of-sale contract issues with them.

Whatever one thinks of Hotz, it is very important to find out whether any of us actually owns these damn devices we are buying or whether we are but licensed to use them.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian'] it is very important to find out whether any of us actually owns these damn devices we are buying or whether we are but licensed to use them.[/QUOTE]

Well don't 90% of all electronic devices belong to their respective companies....? It's in the fine print of any kind of device. That's why everyone signs a EULA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement

::not being a smartass::

Well two things:

1) We aren't signing anything when we are purchasing either game software or game hardware. Most definitely not in a legally binding contract type of way.

2) Because of the fact that most TOS/EULA are agreed to after the point-of-sale a lot can be said for them not being worth a damn in a court of law at all ever.

These companies know that these aren't legally sound contracts and they trample all over your privacy and rights in general. They basically amount to the company being your shiny new evil deity which suddenly owns your soul.

These things need to be challenged and often until they go away.

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm agreeing with Cheapest[/quote]
Doesn't it feel good to finally realize I'm right.:lol:;)
I don't think they'll do something stupid
This is Sony we're talking about here, the same company that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory this gen versus last.

Last gen they had a commanding lead in both sales and popularity of their console versus their two(originally three) competitors. This gen, they jacked up the price by 100% over the starting MSRP from last gen and hoped no one would notice. Look at where they're at in the console 'war' right now because of it.

Albeit since the price drop to $299.99 they've been selling systems like crazy, but many people(myself included) just kinda laughed at their initial price point this gen and looked into our other options while we waited for them to stop drinking their own drugged up Kool-Aid.

So if anyone can take away one of the last major selling points of their console(FREE ONLINE PLAY) and further push their console division towards joining Sega, then it's definitely Sony.

I do like their console and the reliability versus the 360 and I don't like motion controls in my games so I'll likely NEVER own a Wii(or Move/Kinect).

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Why don't people get that the fine print states that you pressing X is by all matters of fact you SIGNING the agreement?[/QUOTE]

There is nothing binding about that.

Getting off the EULA and free online issue (since we don't know anything until it happens)...

Isn't it weird that they're getting away from the PSN moniker? That's a great name for the product- you know exactly what you're getting, PS is still a strong brand, and PSN can't easily be warped into anything disgusting. SNEA, on the other hand, sounds like weak snot. Plus, with EA as the last two letters, it sounds vaguely tied into EA, like MSNBC (even though MS is no longer involved with it).

It's a terrible branding decision. Or am I missing something here?

Have they said that the PSN will stop being the PSN? I'm under the impression that it will just be operated by SNEA instead of SCEA now.

Like I said before- with as many products as they have touching the digital market place (psp, playstation, phones, etc) they probably do need a single entity to manage all of it.

[quote name='nbballard']Have they said that the PSN will stop being the PSN? I'm under the impression that it will just be operated by SNEA instead of SCEA now.

Like I said before- with as many products as they have touching the digital market place (psp, playstation, phones, etc) they probably do need a single entity to manage all of it.[/QUOTE]

No. They've said nothing at all about the changes. All the ranting and raving in this thread is nothing more than pure speculation.

SNEA is the new online division that will control all of Sony's various network services so that accounts and all that will be better unified across all of them.

bread's done
Back