PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='SynGamer']If you checked out what the hackers had to do to break in, you would clearly see Sony more as the victim than you currently do. Also, judging by your "witch hunt" comment, I'm guessing you're a pirate/hacker sympathizer and thus a loser :)[/QUOTE]

Not really. I'm not down with people stealing games. I'm also not down with Sony demanding the IP addresses and other personal information of people who even visted Hotz site, or watched his YouTube vids, etc.

How can anyone not see that Sony comparing this hacking incident to the disaster in Japan is clearly playing the full on victim card? There's no way in the world the two scenarios are even the same. In Sony's world, them being hacked is on the same level as a completely uncontrollable event where there is absolutely 0% chance of preventing the incident from happening.

I finished Portal 2 last night, but can't sell it until I get my Steam copy. Thanks, Sony, you fucking failures!!! I brought the game home TWO WEEKS AGO tonight. Jerks!

While I'm not fully buying this third threat, I went ahead and removed my cc that I had stored on my Sony Style account. Didn't realize it was stored until now anyway so this heads-up was a good thing :)

[quote name='ssjmichael']While I'm not fully buying this third threat, I went ahead and removed my cc that I had stored on my Sony Style account. Didn't realize it was stored until now anyway so this heads-up was a good thing :)[/QUOTE]
Good point. Just did the same.

I'm sorry but this is getting out of hand. 2+ weeks without PSN and who knows how long without the store.

Going forward I'm buying multi-plats on 360 and nothing off the PSN apart from PSOne games. Consider my membership to PSN+ cancelled.

All the crap that is happening right now and people are still only concerned with getting back online? I'm as frustrated as anyone but Sony can take as long as they need to make things more secure as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I am really waiting on is to be able to activate my STeam copy of Portal. Outside of that I don't give a rip about online.

[quote name='lllGurulll']All the crap that is happening right now and people are still only concerned with getting back online? I'm as frustrated as anyone but Sony can take as long as they need to make things more secure as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I am really waiting on is to be able to activate my STeam copy of Portal. Outside of that I don't give a rip about online.[/QUOTE]

theres not much anyone can do about it and to be able to change your psn password/info you have to get back on psn. even with psn looking to be more secure we all know now psn cards are the only way to go i just hope everything that was in our accounts is still there because i had 30 pluss bucks in my account wallet.

I don't understand why people are still worried about PSN coming back online. Sony already said at the earliest this week (obviously won't happen), and at the latest, sometime before June. More then likely, PSN will pop online mid-to-late May. I want to get back online, but I'm being patient because at least we have a timeline now.

P.S. I doubt Sony.com will be attacked for some reason.

In the latest turn of events involving the theft of personal data for millions of PlayStation Network users, Sony has announced that it is partnering with Debix to offer 12 months of identity theft protection free of charge. Debix's "AllClear ID" protection will be made available to PSN and Qriocity account holders in the US, with the console maker "working to make similar programs available in other countries/territories where applicable."

Sony says that users should be receiving offer emails "over the next few days" containing a promotional code for Debix's service, after which they'll have until June 18 to sign up. It's not stated whether this offer extends to users who create PSN accounts once the service goes back online, or only to those who had accounts before the outage, but we're following up with Sony for clarification.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/05/sony-to-offer-psn-users-free-identity-theft-protection-for-one-y/

Sounds good, but 12months is too short.

Nice gesture by Sony to give a year of Identity Protection. I don't care what anyone says Sony is handling this decent considering all the things that happened.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm sorry but this is getting out of hand. 2+ weeks without PSN and who knows how long without the store.

Going forward I'm buying multi-plats on 360 and nothing off the PSN apart from PSOne games. Consider my membership to PSN+ cancelled.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious.

You do understand that it takes time to rebuild an entire system, right? Maybe you don't.

I want Sony to take as long as it takes for them to put a new system in place that has better security. People will manage just fine without their FREE PSN network. Plus users will be compensated, so that point is moot.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Hilarious. .[/QUOTE]I find it more hilarious that you laugh off his opinion/choice of whom he does business with. Its completely up to him, right? ;)

[quote name='basilofbkrst']How the fuck does posting my info on Sony.com screw Sony and not say. I dont know. . . ME?[/QUOTE]

This isn't Anonymous. They may be a little misguided, but they're not stupid. They're out to promote our rights and whatnot, not steal credit cards. Whoever is doing this is doing it just to get personal info.

[quote name='Access_Denied']This isn't Anonymous. They may be a little misguided, but they're not stupid. They're out to promote our rights and whatnot, not steal credit cards. Whoever is doing this is doing it just to get personal info.[/QUOTE]
You change hats fairly often. First defending CFW/piracy and now defending a group that caused misdirection during the PSN hack. Right, I'll add 10 points to your credibility to speak for Anonymous.

He's right. Anonymous, no matter how much we hate them, isn't dumb enough to leave a calling card. They'd rather do so in the form of a video.

But who knows. Maybe they're trying to cover their asses.

[quote name='KingBroly']He's right. Anonymous, no matter how much we hate them, isn't dumb enough to leave a calling card. They'd rather do so in the form of a video.

But who knows. Maybe they're trying to cover their asses.[/QUOTE]
Hell Anonymous would not just hack the PSN for Credit Cards. They would have no real point to have all this data. I still believe it's some outside party trying to sell user info for money/use credit cards for fraud. Plus Anonymous is not that fucking stupid to put a message that they did it right in plain sight.

Can't say I'm worried about people stealing my information. Just not worried, sorry.

Not really worried about the PSN either. It's in Sony's best interest to get it up and running ASAP. I think cutting corners to get it up faster will just require more work in the future which will lead to more outages.

I have a far-fetched notion that we'll get group chats when PSN comes back up. Any real evidence of this? Of course not. Can't blame me for dreaming can ya ;-)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Hell Anonymous would not just hack the PSN for Credit Cards. They would have no real point to have all this data. I still believe it's some outside party trying to sell user info for money/use credit cards for fraud. Plus Anonymous is not that fucking stupid to put a message that they did it right in plain sight.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe thats a brilliant defense.

[quote name='Snake2715']Or maybe thats a brilliant defense.[/QUOTE]

It could be but I honestly doubt it. If Anonymous wanted to steal credit cards, they could have done it much earlier.

[quote name='Vinny']It could be but I honestly doubt it. If Anonymous wanted to steal credit cards, they could have done it much earlier.[/QUOTE]
I mean I am not saying it isn't 100% anonymous but Anon would of done it during the whole GeoHot attack. Anon doesn't constantly target a specific target unless they keep doing stupid stuff and sony did not really warrant another attack. But then again I am not 100% sure either because it could of been a lag in the time the first attack and the time Anon found out how to do it. It just seems too fishy that an attack would happen like what 1-2 weeks after and have the name planted inside when it's almost breaking rules of the internet.

[quote name='vlv723']OT but kinda related: Awhile back, Anonymous hacked the Westboro Baptist Church website. You know, those overzealous so-called Baptists who protest at Military Funerals and think everyone in this earth is a F*G.[/QUOTE]

aka - The only decent thing Anonymous has ever done. That and attacking Scientology.

[quote name='Halo05']aka - The only decent thing Anonymous has ever done. That and attacking Scientology.[/QUOTE]

That's when it was easier to be amused by their actions. Lately they've gone too far. Even if they're not responsible for the most current attack, the previous DDoS was a pain in the ass and accomplished nothing.

You know, the more I think about it I'm not convinced this latest one wasn't them either. Yeah, there's the fact that they wouldn't normally be so obvious but there's also other evidence. When they did their DDoS they got quite a bit of backlash because the consumer was being punished as well. They backed off and pledged to find other ways that wouldn't affect the consumers. They knew at that point that the attack was a major faux pas.

Let's say they did it again though, this time with the intention of ripping off Sony blind from their downloads. Remember, the first information about the attack was that the real reason the network got shut down was a massive amount of illegal downloads. With everything sitting wide open, its entirely possible that someone at Anon at this point saw all the credit card data and copied it. Sure it wasn't the goal of their intrusion but sometimes when individuals are presented with that much potential wealth their ideals kind of go out the window.

Finally Sony shuts down PSN for an extended timeframe and now they look like the badguys. Would Anon want to take credit for this latest intrusion? Not a chance, the results have led to what Anon said they didn't want to do in the first place the customers being harmed. Furthermore, the current "badguy" in this situation is Sony, their PR has taken an extreme hit. What do you know, that's exactly what Anon wanted to do in the first place without having to make all the common people hate Anon themselves. They'd never want to take credit for this intrusion because it would work against them in 2 ways.

Well thank you Sony. Thanks to your shitty security, I now have no easy access to my money. I just found out that my bank debit card was canceled because it got compromised in the PSN hack. It will take them two weeks to mail me a new card.

I just pray that my paypal debit card lets me buy stuff on a 0.00 paypal balance, or I won't be able to buy anything online now. It'll be old fashioned check writing. I fucking hate Sony now.

[quote name='nbballard']or you could go to the bank and withdraw cash.. Crazy how that shit still works just like it use to work.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention requesting a temp debit card. Derp.

[quote name='kingkiller33'] It will take them two weeks to mail me a new card.[/QUOTE]

Wow, your bank sucks. I got mine in like 3 days.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Well thank you Sony. Thanks to your shitty security, I now have no easy access to my money. I just found out that my bank debit card was canceled because it got compromised in the PSN hack. It will take them two weeks to mail me a new card.

I just pray that my paypal debit card lets me buy stuff on a 0.00 paypal balance, or I won't be able to buy anything online now. It'll be old fashioned check writing. I fucking hate Sony now.[/QUOTE]

Do I need to have a PayPal balance to use the PayPal Debit Card?
When you pay using your PayPal Debit Card, funds in your PayPal account are used first. You can select a backup funding source for your debit card to cover the purchase if the amount exceeds your available balance.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Well thank you Sony. Thanks to your shitty security, I now have no easy access to my money. I just found out that my bank debit card was canceled because it got compromised in the PSN hack. It will take them two weeks to mail me a new card.

I just pray that my paypal debit card lets me buy stuff on a 0.00 paypal balance, or I won't be able to buy anything online now. It'll be old fashioned check writing. I fucking hate Sony now.[/QUOTE]

Hate yourself for having a craptacular bank. Then hate your bank for being craptacular. If you still have some hate left, send it the guy who hacked sony.

Every day I am amazed at the ignorant and self entitled people here. Am I bummed I can't play Portal2 on my PC right now? sure. Is the world going to end? Nope.

I am sure the same people who are complaining about it being down this long, would bitch even more if they rushed to get it back up and had to provide incremental updates.

It is down, deal with it. Let them fix it, and fix it right.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Wow, your bank sucks. I got mine in like 3 days.[/QUOTE]

Took a week to get mines. Well that's a credit union that's based in California ad I'm 1800 miles away now.

[quote name='vlv723']Took a week to get mines. Well that's a credit union that's based in California ad I'm 1800 miles away now.[/QUOTE]

A week is reasonable too. But 2 weeks?

A. Get a temp card from the bank ( if its a reasonable distance)

B. Have them expedite that fucking card through hyperspace and have it overnighted. I know my bank will do that if I tell them I have a business trip I have to leave on in the next couple day. Even though I damn well know I ain't not business man, and I ain't got shit to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GTmaster39']Wow, your bank sucks. I got mine in like 3 days.[/QUOTE]

VISA overnighted mine. It actually got here in less than 24 hours.

Had my temp card in 5 minutes. My replacement in 4 days. I mostly only use my Paypal card anyhow, I tie it to my bank account and get my 2% cash back on everything I purchase. My husband also had a debit card that wasn't compromised so for me it really was a non issue. It took me a five minute phone call to block it and five minutes in the bank to pick up my temp card. Total time lost = 10 minutes.

You need to be more concerned as to why and how your bank card was cancelled without your knowledge. Most people who are cancelling or changing cc numbers on here are doing so on their own accord. Unless a bank knows that there was a specific fraud against your account, they don't usually just up and cancel a card like that.

As an interesting aside, the banker I spoke to on the phone said they were preparing for a large amount of phone calls and card cancellations due to this compromise. And the banker who cut my temp card in the bank said I was the sixth person that day requesting a new card (that he personally assisted in) due to the compromise.

The only card I had stored on the PSN was my debit card but my bank just recently reissued ATM/Debit cards for all customers so the expiration date and CVV are different on the new card - no worries for me there. The password thing is my problem - I'll admit I use the same password or a pretty minor deviation from it on almost all sites I frequent including some for bill payments - It's such a pain to not remember a login/password for a site and have to have them email it to you, very frustrating. What do you guys do to remember logins/passwords? Do you use software/apps for it? I really should change some of them.

[quote name='Supplice']Memorize them. :booty:[/QUOTE]

And when that fails a quick 2 minute password reset is no biggie either.

bread's done
Back