PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='jman619']I have Dead Nation and still haven't played it. Maybe I will someday. I'll get lbp and wipeout from the free games. If I already didn't have Dead Nation I would be all over that.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, I bought it when the voice chat option was added and it was on sale awhile back thinking it would never be cheaper... :lol:

Oh, well, from what I've played of it, which isn't much, it was worth supporting the developer, and anyone who doesn't own it needs to pick it up.

As for as the list of games... Its not bad, I just own the bulk of them (and I'm not even a big PS3 user), so I wish that Sony had just dropped 20 bucks* into each of our playstation wallets and told us “You have a month to spend it and, no, you cannot have a refund.”

* aka its not real money...

It would have been a nice way to help out non Sony published developers too... Oh well I get Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD as I own neither... (I think)

[quote name='Oaxan']Then what's the point of a Blu-ray?
50gb space for a 7gb game?
And don't tell me it's for quality.[/QUOTE]
So games that need the space can use it? LA Noire for example is three discs on Xbox 360 and just one Blu-ray on PS3 and the same has happened for a number of multiplatform games (Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, etc.). Not every game is going to fill up the disc just for the hell of it.

[quote name='Oaxan']I'm kind of like "lolwat" because I know most PS2 games are about 7 gigs.
So why are PS3 games (InFamous, in this case) only 7gb?
EXPLAIN TO THE DUMB ASS GAMER (me, lol)[/QUOTE]

Most PS2 games are NOT 7gb. They are usually 2-4gb. There aren't many PS2 games that need a DL DVD.

But still, I agree that it's crazy that the sizes are so similar considering that all of the textures in these games are at a much higher resolution. I guess it's just that compression techniques have improved since then.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I'm pretty sure these are going to be downloadable only and thus impossible to resell...

Got 2 out of 5 correct, now to decide which 4 to get (have 2 PS3s). Already beat and traded in Infamous so I'll probably go for the other 4, though I didn't really like the wipeout HD demo...[/QUOTE]

I was talking about my physical copy, which i wont be needing since ill have a digital copy..

[quote name='Oaxan']Then what's the point of a Blu-ray?
50gb space for a 7gb game?
And don't tell me it's for quality.[/QUOTE]

not all ps3 games can be compressed to 7gb, some are just too big. Yes compression would lower audio/visual quality on huge sized games even force features, levels or whatever to be left out if they had to meet that goal of 7gb. Proper compression takes money, which to us doesn't mean anything but to developers mean not having to dump money on figuring out how to do it.

Its like saying why did ps2 use dvd and not just compress games to fit on a dual layer cd. Some Early ps2 games were on cd though, tekken tag, madden 01, tribes ect.. but once the big quality games came out you never saw ps2 cd games ever again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So games that need the space can use it? LA Noire for example is three discs on Xbox 360 and just one Blu-ray on PS3 and the same has happened for a number of multiplatform games (Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, etc.). Not every game is going to fill up the disc just for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure but the inFAMOUS game disc might actually be bigger than the 7 GB it is in download due to the slow spin of the blu ray player in the PS3. Data needed regularly is often put on the disc numerous times to speed up load times. (see Oblivion.)

So has it been confirmed that you get 2 games per account on your PS3? I hope so, then I can get them all.

Also, does PSN+ give good discounts on games?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='woodcan']Those are some good PS3 games they are offering but unfortunately I have them all except for Dead Nation.[/QUOTE]

Me too... looks like we basically get nothing but digital copies of games we already have but don't need digital copies of. I'm not saying we should get some new releases or anything, but they could have seriously given us a bigger list to choose from. :whistle2:?

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I don't know for sure but the inFAMOUS game disc might actually be bigger than the 7 GB it is in download due to the slow spin of the blu ray player in the PS3. Data needed regularly is often put on the disc numerous times to speed up load times. (see Oblivion.)[/QUOTE]
That's not what I'm talking about but Infamous would still be 7 GB in that case.

[quote name='Vinny']Me too... looks like we basically get nothing but digital copies of games we already have but don't need digital copies of. I'm not saying we should get some new releases or anything, but they could have seriously given us a bigger list to choose from. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Or they could have done nothing at all, or perhaps all $5-10 PSN only games.

I'm happy with the list, both Little Big Planets for nothing is pretty nice and the fact that we get to pick 2 for each system is damn fine.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's not what I'm talking about but Infamous would still be 7 GB in that case.[/QUOTE]

It was more in reference to what the other guy was saying... but I'm not stress it.

Anyone know if there's a list of PS+ discounts? I searched online and most of what I see are post from when the service had just started. I'm asking cause the first thing I'm gonna do once I get my free month subscription is take advantage of the reduced price games.

All free PS+ items and discounts change monthly. For example, new PS+ accounts can't download free items or use discounts that were during a month before their subscription. A lot of people think they can get Plus and then get all the free games and discounts that had been released on the service prior, but no. There's new deals and discounts every month, replacing what was there prior.

This month however Sony is giving PS+ both the April items and the May items at once.

I'll be snagging LBP and Dead Nation. Once the store goes back up they are going to get ravaged with all the downloads so I'm glad to see they will have them up for 30 days.

Just saw this article on Joystiq about Sony offering free content downloads to those effected by the recent outage. Not some bad stuff and best of all it is free.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/sony-reveals-choice-of-free-game-downloads-in-psn-welcome-back-p/

Some highlights include:

"All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
  • Dead Nation
  • inFAMOUS
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Wipeout HD + Fury
For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
  • LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
  • ModNation Racers
  • Pursuit Force
  • Killzone Liberation

There is other content on there as well such as a free 30 day subscription to PSN+ but really I think the damage has been done to most of Sony's customer base. Regardless free is free.

Do we know if LBP is the GOTY edition? Seems reasonable, I guess. I have retail copies of both it and Infamous so they seem like likely candidates to get and just sell/trade my hard copies...especially since the other games will probably go on sale down the line.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So if we have a PSP and PS3 we can get one from each list?[/QUOTE]

dont see why not, if you purchased 2 sony products you were affect twice IMO

darn I just bought infamous from amazon and will actually arrive today and I already have LBP.

Dead Nation looks good, any suggestion for the 2nd game? I was hoping for uncharted2, red dead, heavy rain. I wish they added more greatest hits titles oh well free is always good

I would hope we could get two titles from each, but that doesn't seem logical. probably get us two titles total, and that's it.

[quote name='sunghost']Yeah, just download the PSP game to your PS3 and you should be fine. You don't need a PSP to redeem PSP games from the store AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks man. :applause:

[quote name='Moonlk']I would hope we could get two titles from each, but that doesn't seem logical. probably get us two titles total, and that's it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what I was wondering. Probably two total.

You get 2 of each, the ID Theft is still coming, you should get an email on your account eventually with the steps needed to start the coverage. these are PSN downloads. You have 30 days to "purchase" them, but after that you can download them whenever you want.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm definitely picking up Dead Nation, and possibly Super Stardust HD. I don't know what PSP games to get since I don't own a PSP, lol.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can get PSP games if you don't have one registered on your account.

[quote name='Moonlk']I would hope we could get two titles from each, but that doesn't seem logical. probably get us two titles total, and that's it.[/QUOTE]

Sure it does. You have two products and would qualify for each. Both products were affected by the outage. I have 2 PSN accounts and 2 PS3. I assume I would be entitled to 2 games for each account. Unfortunately, the only ones I don't have are Super Stardust and Wipeout.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You get 2 of each, the ID Theft is still coming, you should get an email on your account eventually with the steps needed to start the coverage. these are PSN downloads. You have 30 days to "purchase" them, but after that you can download them whenever you want.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling the ID theft stuff will require a credit card, and that after the first year free, you are automatically signed up "for your convenience" into a 59.99 a year or more monitoring fee...

[quote name='foxdvd']I have a feeling the ID theft stuff will require a credit card, and that after the first year free, you are automatically signed up "for your convenience" into a 59.99 a year or more monitoring fee...[/QUOTE]
It probably has to be the card you used for PSN and yeah it's probably one of those auto deals unless you go through like a 20 minute phone call to cancel.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Sure it does. You have two products and would qualify for each. Both products were affected by the outage. I have 2 PSN accounts and 2 PS3. I assume I would be entitled to 2 games for each account. Unfortunately, the only ones I don't have are Super Stardust and Wipeout.[/QUOTE]

Makes more sense that way, and I really do hope you're right. But I'm not gonna hold my breath for it.

This sucks for me:
Dead Nation - I will get
Infamous - Have Disc version
Super Stardust HD - Have it already
Wipeout HD & Fury Bundle - Have It (maybe a GameShare)
LittleBigPlanet - Have disc and LBP2 (never really played)

So, 1 game for sure....oh well.

I probably won't be using the ID theft protection they offer. Usually these places require you to give them basically every bit of personal info you have (SSN, Drivers license #, etc). I never used my CC on PSN, so I'm not up for giving away MORE personal info to some people I've never heard of.

After thinking it over, I am going to get
LBP
Wipeout
Pursuit Force
Modnation Racers

I realized I wouldn't be interested in Super Stardust that much and well Dead Nation seems kind of like Alien Swarm which I already played through many of times. Either way I am happy Sony is giving us free games.

God when the PSN comes back up I am probably going to be downloading for days :lol:.

[quote name='doubledown']This sucks for me:
Dead Nation - I will get
Infamous - Have Disc version
Super Stardust HD - Have it already
Wipeout HD & Fury Bundle - Have It (maybe a GameShare)
LittleBigPlanet - Have disc and LBP2 (never really played)

So, 1 game for sure....oh well.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just trade in or sell little big planet and infamous and then download them
To your hard drive. You will still have both games and you make profit !

Those on the fence about Pursuit Force may want to revisit some reviews. The original version of the game is basically unplayable because of the difficulty (cheating AI). You will be doing certain missions over, and over again (with horrible checkpoints).

[quote name='dragonjud']Those on the fence about Pursuit Force may want to revisit some reviews. The original version of the game is basically unplayable because of the difficulty (cheating AI). You will be doing certain missions over, and over again (with horrible checkpoints).[/QUOTE]

The only part I had trouble with was the very last mission. I never thought it was unplayable.

[quote name='dragonjud']Those on the fence about Pursuit Force may want to revisit some reviews. The original version of the game is basically unplayable because of the difficulty (cheating AI). You will be doing certain missions over, and over again (with horrible checkpoints).[/QUOTE]

+1 on this. Best Buy always had Pursuit Force on their demo PSPs so it was one of the first games I bought. The first 4-5 levels are fun but after that it just gets hella irritating.

As for the PS Plus deal. I think I am more excited about that. I wanted to get Might and Magic had been putting it off until I cleared some backlog. Hopefully it will still be on sale when the PSN comes back up.

I think I'm going to go with Dead Nation and Infamous.

How many people do you guys thing have started modding/hacking their PS3s since the PSN came back online a few days ago?

bread's done
Back