PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='Oaxan']Okay, I just checked my emails...
Yesterday, I got 2 or 3 emails saying my password has been changed.
wtf?![/QUOTE]
Nice troll.

didnt happen to see it so sorry if it has been answered but the 2 free games is it 2 per actual ps3 hardware or two per login? ie if i have a login and my wife has one and each of my kids have one couldn't you technically get several if not all of the games for free ¿?

just came to mind...

[quote name='Jodou']Nice troll.[/QUOTE]

I'm serious.
xeppu0.jpg

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I'm just waiting for them to tell everyone to make a new PSN account. That shits coming.[/QUOTE]

Everyone needs to remember that there was a time when xbox took alot of shit for the RROD and other errors. I have owned 4 Xboxs and 1 PS3. Sure there is alot of headache with the PSN lately but in the long run it will all work out, just like it did with xbox hardware.

Microsoft is still in business and Sony will be too. Im not bias to either console. Dont let internet peoples poison your mind with bs. This new story on the password recovery "hack" is just something blown up for a slow news day. Things ARE on the rebound.

Did y'all forget that people had credit cards tied to their accounts or amounts linked to their PSN accounts? If you change someone's password and log in, you could go hogwild on the store, buying all sorts of crap until the card didn't work. Yeah, it's good that the store wasn't up but what a shitstorm that would have been.

Or, and I can't remember if it is like this, but if Sony allows the full credit card # to be displayed on the billing info screen, instead of xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-####, goodbye credit card.

And, wait a cottonpickin minute, looking at screen images, there's a field for the security code, something Sony said couldn't have been stolen, since they didn't ask for it. THE fuck IS UP WITH THIS?
editbilling6a.jpg

[quote name='Oaxan']I'm serious.
xeppu0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Are the timestamps the same? It's possible that their server hiccuped and sent out two. The fact that they're back to back leads me to believe it's nothing suspicious.

[quote name='mitch079']Did y'all forget that people had credit cards tied to their accounts or amounts linked to their PSN accounts? If you change someone's password and log in, you could go hogwild on the store, buying all sorts of crap until the card didn't work. Yeah, it's good that the store wasn't up but what a shitstorm that would have been.

Or, and I can't remember if it is like this, but if Sony allows the full credit card # to be displayed on the billing info screen, instead of xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-####, goodbye credit card.

And, wait a cottonpickin minute, looking at screen images, there's a field for the security code, something Sony said couldn't have been stolen, since they didn't ask for it. THE fuck IS UP WITH THIS?
editbilling6a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

First of all, there's no way for hackers to access the account through the oversight on the website, as Sony has taken down the exploit method and will obviously fix it. So ultimately CASE CLOSED, no hacker will be able to compromise your account via this method, and thus be able to see your credit card info, etc...

But to answer your other concerns, Sony like every other retailer does not store the security code on their server. I believe it is asked when making a purchase (possibly only the first time a particular card is used). Also I don't recall full credit card numbers being displayed. If I recall correctly only the last 4 digits are shown for stored CC info.

[quote name='haize']Everyone needs to remember that there was a time when xbox took alot of shit for the RROD and other errors. I have owned 4 Xboxs and 1 PS3. Sure there is alot of headache with the PSN lately but in the long run it will all work out, just like it did with xbox hardware.

Microsoft is still in business and Sony will be too. Im not bias to either console. Dont let internet peoples poison your mind with bs. This new story on the password recovery "hack" is just something blown up for a slow news day. Things ARE on the rebound.[/QUOTE]

While yes they had hardware issues, Sony's issue IMHO is much worse. They were given the responsibility to watch over our information and make sure it was protected they did NOT do that. (they were storing their password database in plain text format NOT encrypted like it should be per PCI compliance for running a business online)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Are the timestamps the same? It's possible that their server hiccuped and sent out two. The fact that they're back to back leads me to believe it's nothing suspicious.[/QUOTE]

In any other case I would say your right, however it's hitting all the news sites on the web that PSN was hacked again, this is not just the server spitting it back out again, Sony actually took down the server that handles all of password resets because of this issue.

[quote name='Goodeye']While yes they had hardware issues, Sony's issue IMHO is much worse. They were given the responsibility to watch over our information and make sure it was protected they did NOT do that. (they were storing their password database in plain text format NOT encrypted like it should be per PCI compliance for running a business online)

In any other case I would say your right, however it's hitting all the news sites on the web that PSN was hacked again, this is not just the server spitting it back out again, Sony actually took down the server that handles all of password resets because of this issue.[/QUOTE]

Passwords weren't just plaintext, but according to Sony were "transformed using a cryptographic hash function"

Also I think I need to remind you and others that it took 4 years for someone to crack the system. Unless you somehow believe the system should have been 100% hack proof, I don't see how Sony didn't take our security seriously. I'm not saying Sony didn't screw up royally, but anyone who knows the situation, knows that Sony had more people trying to hack them than any other company lately. If Nintendo or Microsoft had that many people targeting their systems I have little doubt something similar would happen.

Those sites saying it was hacked again are spewing sensationalized bullshit to get hits.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Passwords weren't just plaintext, but according to Sony were "transformed using a cryptographic hash function"

Also I think I need to remind you and others that it took 4 years for someone to crack the system. Unless you somehow believe the system should have been 100% hack proof, I don't see how Sony didn't take our security seriously. I'm not saying Sony didn't screw up royally, but anyone who knows the situation, knows that Sony had more people trying to hack them than any other company lately. If Nintendo or Microsoft had that many people targeting their systems I have little doubt something similar would happen.

Those sites saying it was hacked again are spewing sensationalized bullshit to get hits.[/QUOTE]

The exploit is the result of the attack. Whether PSN is up or not doesn't change the fact that this mess is not over. Sony is responsible for defending their network from attacks, and securing personal information of its users. Whether it was Bill Gates, bitter employees, or the taliban, Sony should have been ready for an attack like this.

While MS did have a giant backlash from the RROD, it was simply hardware failure. And they ended up replacing the consoles and extending the warranties on all pre-Slim 360s. With PSN it was a massive hack that had information stolen from millions of people around the world, which is a hell of a lot worse. The only way I can try to compare it is with a quote from Jurassic Park, which I think is comparable.

John Hammond: "All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!"
Dr. Ian Malcolm: "But, John if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't EAT the tourists."

Anyone know if it is 2 games per account or per PS3? I have an US account and Euro account on my PS3. If its per account I can get 4 game titles and all of the free euro PS+ stuff :)

[quote name='nixmahn']Anyone know if it is 2 games per account or per PS3? I have an US account and Euro account on my PS3. If its per account I can get 4 game titles and all of the free euro PS+ stuff :)[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been confirmed yet, could go either way.

[quote name='typical guy']More problems with the PSN.
This exploit is particularly bad because anyone can steal your account if they know your date of birth. So those old "friends" from high school may know your email address and see your date of birth on Facebook. Well, they just stole your account and changed your email address to theirs. Good luck getting it back.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/18/sony_playstation_account_hijacking/[/QUOTE]

Who has their birthdate listed on Facebook? People need to be more responsible with their personal info. At least make someone put work in to get at your info.

[quote name='mwynn']Who has their birthdate listed on Facebook? People need to be more responsible with their personal info. At least make someone put work in to get at your info.[/QUOTE]

Tons of people have their DOB on it? You really don't know anyone that does?

Even if the DOB isn't listed, they can simply look at your wall and see when your family members sent you "Happy Birthday". It really isn't all that hard to find someone's DOB.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've been under a rock for 2 days... what's the free game? I assuming it's all the shitty games.[/QUOTE]
Go back under the rock. It's only been posted and reposted every page or so since the news broke.

This exploit is particularly bad because anyone can steal your account if they know your date of birth. So those old "friends" from high school may know your email address and see your date of birth on Facebook. Well, they just stole your account and changed your email address to theirs. Good luck getting it back.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/18/sony_playstation_account_hijacking/[/QUOTE]

Maybe catch up a bit, the exploit is being fixed. Nothing will come of this

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've been under a rock for 2 days... what's the free game? I assuming it's all the shitty games.[/QUOTE]
2 free games per account.

LBP
inFAMOUS
Wipeout HD
Super Stardust HD
Dead Nation

In Europe, they can also choose Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Maybe catch up a bit, the exploit is being fixed. Nothing will come of this[/QUOTE]

The site is down (again) because of more incompetence. That's the point. I don't give a fuck if it's "being fixed", I only care that they actually fix the system in a way that's not half assed this time.

The one positive thing is that they are working on this right away instead of waiting a month like they did the first time they had problems.

By the way, my wife and I both have a PSN account so I'm going to download all the free games.

[quote name='typical guy']Tons of people have their DOB on it? You really don't know anyone that does?

Even if the DOB isn't listed, they can simply look at your wall and see when your family members sent you "Happy Birthday". It really isn't all that hard to find someone's DOB.[/QUOTE]

As I said people need to be more responsible with how they share their info. I see DOB's on facebook, I have seen phone numbers. Where I work at if I asked people would give their SSN without a second thought. Security starts with the USER.

[quote name='typical guy']

By the way, my wife and I both have a PSN account so I'm going to download all the free games.[/QUOTE]

2 accounts = 4 games
there are 5 games
lrn2mathz

[quote name='Oaxan']2 accounts = 4 games
there are 5 games
lrn2mathz[/QUOTE]

That's okay I'll get all of them anyway. My brother-in-law has an account too.

[quote name='Oaxan']2 accounts = 4 games
there are 5 games
lrn2mathz[/QUOTE]

Are you sure its two games per account though :roll:

[quote name='mwynn']As I said people need to be more responsible with how they share their info. I see DOB's on facebook, I have seen phone numbers. Where I work at if I asked people would give their SSN without a second thought. Security starts with the USER.[/QUOTE]

DoB isn't close to private info though...

[quote name='depascal22']DoB isn't close to private info though...[/QUOTE]
ID theft is like putting a puzzle together the more info you have the easier it is to do. DOB is a good piece to have. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/221076-80-million-facebook-users-in-id-fraud-scare

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/218400854

Online information about your date of birth and place of birth could allow identity thieves to guess your Social Security number, according to a paper by two Carnegie Mellon researchers.

[quote name='mwynn']ID theft is like putting a puzzle together the more info you have the easier it is to do. DOB is a good piece to have. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/221076-80-million-facebook-users-in-id-fraud-scare

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/218400854

Online information about your date of birth and place of birth could allow identity thieves to guess your Social Security number, according to a paper by two Carnegie Mellon researchers.[/QUOTE]

I was born 1/29/95 in Olympia WA.
Someone steal my SS#, I'll even throw in $200 and an ice cream cone. :roll:

[quote name='Oaxan']I was born 1/29/95 in Olympia WA.
Someone steal my SS#, I'll even throw in $200 and an ice cream cone. :roll:[/QUOTE]

That means it starts with 531~539... The next two digits can be derived by someone's social issued around the same time as yours, and that leaves the remaining 4...

Edit: Olympia is in western Washington, so I think it's likely Olympia is I the upper ranges of 53x. The group number depends on your birthday.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Oaxan']I was born 1/29/95 in Olympia WA.
Someone steal my SS#, I'll even throw in $200 and an ice cream cone. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Do you even know your social? At 16 I didn't know mine, hell, I didn't commit it to memory it until I was job hunting at 18.

[quote name='Mad39er']At 16 I didn't know mine, hell, I didn't commit it to memory it until I was job hunting at 18.[/QUOTE]

i didnt commit mine until i had to start applying to several colleges. lol.

Hell, I still couldn't tell you my license plate number or my drivers license number. Social wasn't too bad. Took less time for that than it did for my phone number.

[quote name='elessar123']That means it starts with 531~539... The next two digits can be derived by someone's social issued around the same time as yours, and that leaves the remaining 4...

Edit: Olympia is in western Washington, so I think it's likely Olympia is I the upper ranges of 53x. The group number depends on your birthday.[/QUOTE]

That only works for you youngsters though. I was born in one part of the country and didn't get my SS# until I was in college in a completely different part of the country. So hooray for being old - my SS# is more secure ;).

Of course now you have to get SS#'s for babies in order to claim them as dependents - wasn't that way when I was a kid.

[quote name='io']That only works for you youngsters though. I was born in one part of the country and didn't get my SS# until I was in college in a completely different part of the country. So hooray for being old - my SS# is more secure ;).

Of course now you have to get SS#'s for babies in order to claim them as dependents - wasn't that way when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

My birthday doesn't correspond at all to my birthday either, but that's because of where I was born =P

[quote name='elessar123']My birthday doesn't correspond at all to my birthday either, but that's because of where I was born =P[/QUOTE]
5-21-92 what does mine start with? I can't figure it out

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WongTongSoup']5-21-92 what does mine start with? I can't figure it out[/QUOTE]

No idea. First 3 digits are tired to the location of where you were issued the number, and the middle two depends on the location and issue date.

[quote name='Oaxan']Then what's the point of a Blu-ray?
50gb space for a 7gb game?
And don't tell me it's for quality.[/QUOTE]The point is that Blu-ray doesn't need to be compressed. When decompressing, you have to wait longer!

And it goes on....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314351/playstation-network-password-reset-system-compromised?tag=topstory%3Btitle

Sony needs to make it so that you must confirm the change via email before they do it on the site. Ala how I had to do my Australian account the other day otherwise going to the password reset page can't do diddly. Still, otherwise make people call up or something...I dunno. Nothing like kickin' them (us) while they're (we're) still down.

At this point, what is the point, other than to be criminals, you aren't getting retribution against Sony anymore, you're just being malicious against the customer base, which ain't right. :headache: :nottalking:

Edit: Sorry didn't see this posted on the last page.

bread's done
Back