PSN Sale 9/7-9/13

Hunter_Silver

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
PSN Sale:
Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories Bundle – Sale (now $5.99, original price $12.49)
Wolf Of The Battlefield: Commando 3 – Sale (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Hero Of Sparta – Minis – Sale (now $0.99, original price $6.99)

PS+:
Warhawk Game Trial (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Warhawk: Booster Combo (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Warhawk Dynamic Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
UFC Undisputed 2010 – TUF Fighter DLC Pack (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP Demo (Early Access to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Blast Off – Minis (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Mystical Fractals Theme (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Ratchet & Clank Dynamic Theme (PlayStation Plus Price $1.50, regular price $2.99)

Yeah, its a pretty good deal. Especially if you have friends that still play it. Planning to buy the 360 version of it tommorow myself since its on sale on both networks.

If you're interested in using Playstation Move with RE5 then you'll want to pass on this DLC and pick-up the Gold edition of RE5, since that's the only version of RE5 that will support Move controls.

PS+ still sucks for me. PSGroove is looking like a better option.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i played re5 with move and it sucked @ PAX. do not waste you money[/QUOTE]

That must have been you I saw playing it, you had a frown on your face.

I'm really souring on Playstation and their mandatory weekly updates. They can take their crappy 'sales', Home, and all their other online junk and stick it. I'm really over their B/S. I'm not taking their 'update.'

[quote name='VA']I'm really souring on Playstation and their mandatory weekly updates. They can take their crappy 'sales', Home, and all their other online junk and stick it. I'm really over their B/S. I'm not taking their 'update.'[/QUOTE]

Enjoy living in 1990 and playing with yourself;)

If you get the free warhawk dlc do you get to keep it after you cancel? Or do you have to be a member like with the "free" games?

[quote name='GameOnJohn']If you get the free warhawk dlc do you get to keep it after you cancel? Or do you have to be a member like with the "free" games?[/QUOTE]

dlc is supposed to be yours to keep, but sony's full of crap sometimes.

[quote name='uscommander']Enjoy living in 1990 and playing with yourself;)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are still people playing with themselves to this day.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Sony calls these sales?[/QUOTE]

i'd call 50 - 85 percent off pretty good sales. this week's selection is a bit week, but last weeks was pretty big. they tend to do that, with one big wave every month or so and a smaller sale selection on off weeks.

also - i've heard re5 move was good, fwiw.

[quote name='VA']I'm really souring on Playstation and their mandatory weekly updates. They can take their crappy 'sales', Home, and all their other online junk and stick it. I'm really over their B/S. I'm not taking their 'update.'[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their free online service sucks. :roll:

What mandatory weekly updates? If you're talking about the software updates, it's definitely not every week. And is it really so horrible to wait 3 minutes for an update?

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']PSN Sale:
Hero Of Sparta – Minis – Sale (now $0.99, original price $6.99) [/QUOTE]
Never heard of this, is it any fun/good?

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Never heard of this, is it any fun/good?[/QUOTE]

IGN gave it a 7.9. Seems like a good deal for 99¢ if you like God of War. Amazon has it on sale as well.

Nothing great here this week, but I did finally pick up that PSN+ SOLDNER-X bundle for $10.xx

May also have to get that RE5 stuff. Going to wait to see if more people say its worth the price. Right now I can live w/o it. Thanks OP for the post!

Is this the full set of add-ons, or just the same one they gave away for free in the first month of PSN+? I was actually on PSN Tuesday night (the 7th) and didn't see any of this stuff offered under the PSN+ section.

My son is really into playing Warhawk and wants the rest of the DLC in addition to the one pack they had for free before. Then I found out there are 3 packs offered in a "combo pack" for the price of 2. So, basically, if I wanted to get it all I'd be paying full price (ie, what everyone else always pays for it) and the "free" thing I got via PSN+ was just an enticement to get us hooked and buy the rest (and thus no benefit to PSN+ at all ;)). I was kind of pissed about that, actually.

Sony's going to have to start doing something worthwhile with PS+ in order to get me to signup again next year. I hate all of the PSOne titles so far, the minis are okay but I could do without them - just like the avatars and themes. The sale items annoy me because they would've been sales for everyone before PS+ existed.

So IMO, this is just like Microsoft trying to manufacture value for Gold members with early demos and exclusive sales. If I wanted a discount program, I'd buy a Diamond card or a coupon book. /rant

Back on topic, the Resident Evil 5 content is also on sale on Xbox Live this week for 560 points ($7), so it's nice for PS3 players that it's a bit cheaper here.

Considering there's a thread full of happy people talking about Hero of Sparta for .99 I'd say Sony is doing something right with their sales.

I laugh at the pitiful user who's considering PIRATING (yes pirating, don't be naive) PS3 disc games games because he's upset with these PSN updates. Like one really is related to the other.

[quote name='KneeKnee']May also have to get that RE5 stuff. Going to wait to see if more people say its worth the price. Right now I can live w/o it. Thanks OP for the post![/QUOTE]

I think it is worth it - you get 2 new chapters (desperate escape and lost in nightmare) that are adding a little to the story.
Also getting 2 costume packs... Paid full price for it, not disappointed.

[quote name='io']Is this the full set of add-ons, or just the same one they gave away for free in the first month of PSN+? I was actually on PSN Tuesday night (the 7th) and didn't see any of this stuff offered under the PSN+ section.

My son is really into playing Warhawk and wants the rest of the DLC in addition to the one pack they had for free before. Then I found out there are 3 packs offered in a "combo pack" for the price of 2. So, basically, if I wanted to get it all I'd be paying full price (ie, what everyone else always pays for it) and the "free" thing I got via PSN+ was just an enticement to get us hooked and buy the rest (and thus no benefit to PSN+ at all ;)). I was kind of pissed about that, actually.[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with the available Warhawk DLC as I haven't played the game. However, checking out the PLUS section today it looks like the combo pack consists of three separate add ons, one of which is the same one from the first month of Plus.

OP: thanks for the updates.

I do agree about the updates. The updates are killing me... they take so damn long to install... killing me... slowly...

[quote name='InvaderZim']OP: thanks for the updates.

I do agree about the updates. The updates are killing me... they take so damn long to install... killing me... slowly...[/QUOTE]

I know I had to wait almost 3 minutes while it updated last night. GASP! Also the new definition for weekly is when it usually at least a month in between. God forbid they release a patch to fix a piracy issue when they just had one over 10 days ago!

I got this from the blog

PlayStation Plus

Qore Episode 28: September 2010 (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers, regular price $2.99)
File size: 1.65 GB
Warhawk Game Trial (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
File size: 835 MB
Warhawk Dynamic Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
UFC Undisputed 2010 – TUF Fighter DLC Pack (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP Demo (Early Access to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Blast Off – Minis (Free to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Mystical Fractals Theme (Free and Exclusive to PlayStation Plus Subscribers)
Ratchet & Clank Dynamic Theme (PlayStation Plus Price $1.50, regular price $2.99)
Updates

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: Emerald Dragon – Permanent Price Drop (now $6.99, original price $9.99)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: River Course At Blackwolf Run – Permanent Price Drop (now $6.99, original price $9.99)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: The Highlands – Permanent Price Drop (now $6.99, original price $9.99)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: Waialae CC – Permanent Price Drop (now $6.99, original price $9.99)
Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories Bundle – Sale (now $5.99, original price $12.49)
Wolf Of The Battlefield: Commando 3 – Sale (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Hero Of Sparta – Minis – Sale (now $0.99, original price $6.99)

[quote name='typical guy']It looks like Sparta is PSP only. I've only got a PS3 so I won't be buying that one.[/QUOTE]

Um, look here: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/games/detail/item242164/Hero-of-Sparta/

I'm pretty sure all the Minis are supposed to be playable on PS3 and PSP.

Well, after digging around the forums on the official site, it looks like you go to the PS3 section of the store and any mini listed there is PS3-compatible (so there are some minis that are PSP-only).

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah just b/c it doesn't specifically say PS3 or PSP for the minis doesn't mean you can't try. I think Tetris is the only one that really doesn't work on the PS3 ... b/c I've tried ;)

I though RE5 move was okay. I had already played RE5 so the new controls were different, but I think I would rather play with a controller.

IO, depending on what time last night you might not have seen it because they didn't update until almost 7PM PST.

PSN+ has paid itself off with this latest addition. I usually don't buy DLC, but all the free stuff that I can keep has hit around 50 bucks and I'm pretty happy about that, especially with getting the entire Warhawk bundle for free.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Considering there's a thread full of happy people talking about Hero of Sparta for .99 I'd say Sony is doing something right with their sales.

I laugh at the pitiful user who's considering PIRATING (yes pirating, don't be naive) PS3 disc games games because he's upset with these PSN updates. Like one really is related to the other.[/QUOTE]

Yarrr matey, I be groovin' for treasure.

[quote name='InvaderZim']OP: thanks for the updates.

I do agree about the updates. The updates are killing me... they take so damn long to install... killing me... slowly...[/QUOTE]

That's why I buy most of my multiplatform games on the 360 and save the Sony exclusives to PS3. I don't know how MS's 360 can do a game update in 5 sec and the same game on PS3 takes 10 mins. Same goes with firmware update, couple mins on 360 and 20 mins on PS3. MS is a software company and it clearly shows its edge in this situation. Same goes with Xbox.com vs playstation.com. You can't do jack sh*t on the sony's website.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']That's why I buy most of my multiplatform games on the 360 and save the Sony exclusives to PS3. I don't know how MS's 360 can do a game update in 5 sec and the same game on PS3 takes 10 mins. Same goes with firmware update, couple mins on 360 and 20 mins on PS3. MS is a software company and it clearly shows its edge in this situation. Same goes with Xbox.com vs playstation.com. You can't do jack sh*t on the sony's website.[/QUOTE]

That was because Sony is a hardware company so they _used_ to use the download the entire firmware approach to updates. I believe they changed this a little while back. At least I remember reading something and my updates now take a few minutes now. Last night took about 3 minutes to update.

As for the games, it seems to me that Xbox game patches are smaller (possibly due to there being a lot of arcade versions out there?) where I get stuck downloading a 50+ MB patch on the PS3.

Completely agree with the sites. I do not like the official Playstation site at all.

For me the wireless adapter in my PS3 sucks where as any other device downloads an update no sweat but when it comes to the PS3 an update can range from 10 to 15 minutes to do for no reason. It may not be every week there is an update but it feels like every other week I have to do an update. Its frustrating having a game in you hand that you want to play and having to wait up to an hour for system updates, game updates, and game installs.

[quote name='spbusdriver']For me the wireless adapter in my PS3 sucks where as any other device downloads an update no sweat but when it comes to the PS3 an update can range from 10 to 15 minutes to do for no reason. It may not be every week there is an update but it feels like every other week I have to do an update. Its frustrating having a game in you hand that you want to play and having to wait up to an hour for system updates, game updates, and game installs.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the wireless adapter. I have a launch 20GB with no wifi, just straight ethernet and it takes just as long.

I hear you on the new game in hand but can't play til upto an hour later story. I experience that myself too. Turn on system one day with new game in hand, prompt for firmware update (20 mins). Once updated, stick in game and prompts for manditory install (10-15 mins or more on some games). After install, prompts for game update downloads (5-10 mins). After download, prompts for updates install (1-3 mins). By the time I finally see the title screen of the game, it's a good 45 mins later. The same game on the 360, I'd beat a level or two already, even if the 360 happens to have a firmware update (which is very seldom, usually once or twice a year) and game updates (5 mins max for both). Same thing with game demos. The 360 plays the demo immedately after downloading whereas the PS3 requires installation. Like I said in my earlier post, it's how Sony writes its software which is vastly inferior to the MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Like I said in my earlier post, it's how Sony writes its software which is vastly inferior to the MS.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I've heard that MS owns some sort of patent on patching game code to make their updates a fraction of the size as their PS3 counterparts.

In for Hero of Sparta. A crappy God of War wannabe has to be worth 99 cents for a big fan of the God of War style gameplay.

So conflicted today. I've been holding out on buying the RE5 DLC, hoping Gold will drop in price because I prefer the idea of having everything in one place on a physical disc, but I can't really argue with $5.99 versus $35-$45. Also considering Hero of Sparta, but I think I'd prefer it on my iPhone. Choices, choices.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']I'm not familiar with the available Warhawk DLC as I haven't played the game. However, checking out the PLUS section today it looks like the combo pack consists of three separate add ons, one of which is the same one from the first month of Plus.[/QUOTE]

Yep, indeed that's what it is. When I downloaded the bundle early this morning after not seeing it last night) it had the two new ones dated 9/8 and the third one on there with a 7/3 date (Which is when I got it after first signing up for PSN+). What is great about this is that my son has been bugging me the last few days about getting the rest of the DLC since a lot of people online use it. I told him to wait and see what comes next month via PSN+. I had no idea it would come so quickly! I probably would have bought it eventually so I'm glad PSN+ finally came through. Of course, if I had bought it last week or something I'd be really pissed (I have a feeling this will happen with the Fat Princess DLC which we did buy a couple weeks ago).

[quote name='Fighterspledge']PSN+ has paid itself off with this latest addition. I usually don't buy DLC, but all the free stuff that I can keep has hit around 50 bucks and I'm pretty happy about that, especially with getting the entire Warhawk bundle for free.[/QUOTE]

While I haven't gotten close to my $50 worth yet, this Warhawk add-on is a big step in the right direction. My only "value" before this was Wipeout and some of the first month free DLC (for Cuboid and Magic Orbz - since I had just bought those games when they were on sale earlier). Since then there's been nothing for me (as I had already bought Critter Crunch and Mushroom Wars).

So, yeah, I figure I'm at around $20 worth of value so far - not too bad for 3 months in.

As for the slow system updates, that is usually the case, but this time it was pretty fast for me - and I did it yesterday afternoon too (so my son could play Warhawk). Also, it was over Wifi and it only took about 5 minutes. Now, on my other system with the last update it just failed repeatedly until I hooked up Ethernet then it took about 2 minutes vs 1 hour on my Wifi system. So there are definitely Wifi issues though I can't imagine why there would be such a huge difference.

[quote name='io'] I probably would have bought it eventually so I'm glad PSN+ finally came through. Of course, if I had bought it last week or something I'd be really pissed (I have a feeling this will happen with the Fat Princess DLC which we did buy a couple weeks ago).[/QUOTE]

I think this is one of the biggest flaws with Sony's PSN+ service. There is a disincentive to buy older games or add-ons because you never know if they are going to be offered for free in a month or two. Personally, PSN+ is working out well for me as a service because even though I've had the PS3 since I was able to find one in early '07 and have plenty of disc games, I hadn't really previously purchased any of the PSN games except for a small library during previous $5 sales. I only had PixelJunk Monsters, Shooter, Eden, Cuboid, Everyday Shooter, and the Last Guy.

On the other hand, the combination of the free DLC packs and last week's discounted price did convince me to spend $4.79 on Magic Orbz.

bread's done
Back