PSP-3000 at Gamestop $149.99

tacgnol

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I'm a manager at a Gamestop, I put up our weekly ad yesterday and noticed a price drop for PSP-3000's to $149. Not sure if this is a weekly promotion or permanent price drop

olfsi_030510-1.jpg

I know people aren't rushing out to buy PSPs, but I expect some spurts in sales when the Kingdom Heart's title is released.

I picked this up a few weeks ago, when Best Buy ran the same promotion. It's a good deal for an awesome handheld. Definitely recommended for those who are looking to grab a PSP (though, the piano black model is a fingerprint magnent). The bundle packs don't really have the greatest games, and the memory cards are too small for downloadable games. I'd say, grab this, and a 16GB memory stick pro duo from Amazon for $53 or so.

Ironically enough, a friend of mine picked up the GT PSP-3000 bundle from our local GameStop over the holidays. When we got home, the package was missing the copy of Gran Turismo! He had to ship out the following day, and had to make a mad dash back to the store to exchange the bundle, an hour before his flight. He barely made his flight, and risked being put in a 'world of shit' with his superiors. They reluctantly made good on the exchange, but he didn't have time to download his PSN games. But that's why we went with the 3000 over the PSPgo.

The morale of the story is: open the box in the store. :p

Thanks for the heads up, OP. Had I not already jumped on the deal from a few weeks back, I'd certainly be grabbing this.

[quote name='tacgnol']Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I'm a manager at a Gamestop, I put up our weekly ad yesterday and noticed a price drop for PSP-3000's to $149. Not sure if this is a weekly promotion or permanent price drop
[/QUOTE]

The GS deals are normally posted in the afternoon during a Thursday thanks to our good friend jp, so most of us knew about this already. Thanks for posting though. Maybe if you can get an official list for Gameday or next B2G1 heads up, that would be great too ;D.

[quote name='anticulture']I picked this up a few weeks ago, when Best Buy ran the same promotion. It's a good deal for an awesome handheld. Definitely recommended for those who are looking to grab a PSP (though, the piano black model is a fingerprint magnent). The bundle packs don't really have the greatest games, and the memory cards are too small for downloadable games. I'd say, grab this, and a 16GB memory stick pro duo from Amazon for $53 or so.

Ironically enough, a friend of mine picked up the GT PSP-3000 bundle from our local GameStop over the holidays. When we got home, the system was missing the copy of Gran Turismo! He had to ship out the following day, and had to make a mad dash back to the store to exchange the bundle. He barely made his flight, and risked being put in a 'world of shit' with his superiors. They reluctantly made good on the exchange, and he didn't have time to download his PSN games. But that's why we went with the 3000 over the PSPgo.

Thanks for the heads up, OP. Had I not already jumped on the deal from a few weeks back, I'd certainly be grabbing this.[/QUOTE]

I have worked at a Gamestop for years now and I got my PSP-2000 2 weeks before we had them in stock. Someone traded on in! I got a great deal on it. :cool:

Do you all think the PSP 3000 will have any deals that make it go for $100 this year? I have a huge backlog of games so I am in no rush to get one, but I really want to play the Star Ocean 1 remake since that is the only platform the game was ever released on in America.

On a side note, will the successor to the PSP be backward compatible with PSP games?

[quote name='thekbob']i know people aren't rushing out to buy psps, but i expect some spurts in sales when the kingdom heart's title is released.[/quote]

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='gutter2d']Do you all think the PSP 3000 will have any deals that make it go for $100 this year? I have a huge backlog of games so I am in no rush to get one, but I really want to play the Star Ocean 1 remake since that is the only platform the game was ever released on in America.

On a side note, will the successor to the PSP be backward compatible with PSP games?[/QUOTE]

I would say that there is zero chance of the PSP-3000 reaching $100 anytime soon. The 3000 sells more than the PSPgo. What incentive does Sony have to drop the price so drastically?

Just pick it up for $150 and grab the cheap 16GB card from amazon. You won't be disappointed.

Will the PSP2 be able to play UMD games? Well, I mean: look at the PSPgo. Signs would probably point to 'no'. Will it be able to play digital PSP games? One can assume.

I wish they'd stick with UMD, because having a physical option is important for some people. But at least with a PSP-3000, you can vote with your dollars (by purchasing physical copies). As an added bonus, you have access to the full library of PSP games, whereas the PSPgo does not (many games have not been released on the PSN store).

Grab the 3000.

[quote name='gutter2d']
On a side note, will the successor to the PSP be backward compatible with PSP games?[/QUOTE]

Seriously? You're asking a question about a system that hasn't even been announced yet, and there is virtually no press on.

[quote name='gutter2d']Do you all think the PSP 3000 will have any deals that make it go for $100 this year? I have a huge backlog of games so I am in no rush to get one, but I really want to play the Star Ocean 1 remake since that is the only platform the game was ever released on in America.

I don't know about the 3000 but I just picked up a God of War 2000 last night from Sears for $95.41.

[quote name='fragged3d']I don't know about the 3000 but I just picked up a God of War 2000 last night from Sears for $95.41.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

@ Squarehard

I will post any game day related information as soon as I can, I unfortunately cannot access CAG from my cell phone to post, I will try to get Gameday listings as soon as I can though.

Sales for PSP will pick up when it's $129.99. When it's $99.99, I will pick one up unless they announce PSP 2 on E3.

This is a pretty good deal. I hope they lower the price of the Go soon and come out with the 4000. It would be nice to see the 3000 at $150 and the Go and 4000 at $170 until they get rid of the 3000 stock.

Thanks OP, I just listed the PSP I had on eBay. I've been meaning to sell it for a while, and I hope the bidders don't realize this price drop. :lol:

I keep thinking I want one.. but then I look through the catalog of games available and remember why I don't own one.

There's seriously only a handful of games I'd even want, and the number of decent releases coming up is sparse to say the least.

Too bad, it could be a great system with some real support.

[quote name='nervousxtian']I keep thinking I want one.. but then I look through the catalog of games available and remember why I don't own one.

There's seriously only a handful of games I'd even want, and the number of decent releases coming up is sparse to say the least.

Too bad, it could be a great system with some real support.[/QUOTE]

This sums up my 2 year odyssey with wanting a PSP. Other than FF7AC, Dissidia, GoW, and a handful of others, all the PSP boils down to (for me, that is) is an old-school RPG machine. Not a bad thing, but I still just can't justify it.

Here's some PSP games to keep on your radar this year:

BlazBlue March 10
Metal Slug March 30
Mimana Iyar Chronicles March 30
Duke Nukem Trilogy: Critical Mass March 31
FMX March 31
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest April 13
PoP FS May 18
MGS Peace Walker May 25
Hexyz Force May 26
Disgaea Infinite May 31
Hot Shots Tennis June 30
Modnation Racers June 30
Patchwork Heroes June 30
Valkyria Chronicles 2 June 30
What did I do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 2 June 30
Persona 3 July 31
Ghost Recon Future Soldier Sept 30
God Eater Sept 30
Killzone Liberation 2 rumored
Eye of Judgement Dec 31
Fat Princess Dec 31
Gex 3 Dec 31
James Bond Project Dec 31
Rise of the Mongol Empire Dec 31
Spider Man Dec 31
Streetfigher Alpha 3 Dec 31
SW FU 2 Dec 31
UFC 2010 Dec 31
Wipeout XL Dec 31
Resident Evil Portable
Virtual City

I don't know why anyone would pay $150 for a new PSP when they're on CL all the time for $50-$100. Just make sure to test it out.

Because $150 gets you a new PSP that hasn't been touched by filthy children hands. It gets you a new PSP that hasn't been 'refurbished' by GameStop; or one that hasn't been swapped out by a GameStop employee, because his PSP had something wrong with it. It gives Sony money, instead of GameStop. In turn, it also sends Sony a message that people want to have a physical media option with their PSP (sales of the 3000 versus sales of the PSPgo).

There are a multitude of reasons for purchasing a new system for a decent price. If you don't want to, that's sweet. But don't sit around and troll, like a Trolling McTrollerson.

[quote name='keithp']I don't know why anyone would pay $150 for a new PSP when they're on CL all the time for $50-$100. Just make sure to test it out.[/QUOTE]

Sort of misleading. Your low-end quote of $50 is something you can find for a fat model. Even then, the best I could find on my CL was $40 for a fat, and that was missing a battery and the battery cover. We're talking about a brand new slim for $150.

[quote name='anticulture']Because $150 gets you a new PSP that hasn't been touched by filthy children hands. QUOTE]

Filthy children hands. that's funny because it's true.

[quote name='anticulture']

Ironically enough, a friend of mine picked up the GT PSP-3000 bundle from our local GameStop over the holidays. When we got home, the package was missing the copy of Gran Turismo! He had to ship out the following day, and had to make a mad dash back to the store to exchange the bundle, an hour before his flight. He barely made his flight, and risked being put in a 'world of shit' with his superiors. They reluctantly made good on the exchange, but he didn't have time to download his PSN games. But that's why we went with the 3000 over the PSPgo.

[/QUOTE]

Well, to be honest, the REAL morale of the story is do not buy from Gamestop. They are well known to sell opened games and systems as "Brand New" . There is NO reason for a PSP bundle to be opened or have contents removed, I can just imagine some greasy teenage GS employee having a ball with the game you friend payed fulll retail for. Makes me sick!Please shop at a reputable retailer, crap like this does not happen anywhere else.

[quote name='Goatlord']Well, to be honest, the REAL morale of the story is do not buy from Gamestop. They are well known to sell opened games and systems as "Brand New" . There is NO reason for a PSP bundle to be opened or have contents removed, I can just imagine some greasy teenage GS employee having a ball with the game you friend payed fulll retail for. Makes me sick!Please shop at a reputable retailer, crap like this does not happen anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

If you can take a moment to get down off your soap box...

1) I've never heard of GameStop selling opened systems...ever. I've been on CAG for over 2 years, and you're honestly the first person I've ever seen claim this...and I've seen people claim some crazy ass shit about GS. We all know they open games, and they do that to make them display copies. Why would they open systems? Makes no sense. If that does happen, I certainly doubt it is corporate policy, like the display copies are. If a GS employee has information to the contrary, I'd like to hear it.

2) I'm sure "greasy" teenagers only work at GameStop. I've never seen them at Target or Best Buy or...wait...I have.

3) "Crap" like that can happen anywhere and does happen anywhere. Other boutique-style video game stores use the "display copy" model to save money on displays. And someone opening a product and taking stuff out of it can happen at any store, which is why all retailers have some form of loss prevention put into place.

Now that I've started hearing rumors of the PSP/Ericsson phone. I'm going to hold of and see what Sony Ericsson can come up with. I currently using a W810i that I've had since 2006. I love it and hope they can come out with something interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a used like new psp 3000 silver. Returned it when i saw that it was on sale. Got it in black. It's the most beautiful device that I currently own.

[quote name='J7.']Here's some PSP games to keep on your radar this year:

BlazBlue March 10
Metal Slug March 30
FMX March 31
PoP FS May 18
MGS Peace Walker May 25
Hexyz Force May 26
Disgaea Infinite May 31
Hot Shots Tennis June 30
Modnation Racers June 30
Patchwork Heroes June 30
Persona 3 July 31
God Eater Sept 30
Eye of Judgement Dec 31
Fat Princess Dec 31
Gex 3 Dec 31
Spider Man Dec 31
SW FU 2 Dec 31
UFC 2010 Dec 31
Wipeout XL Dec 31
Resident Evil Portable
Virtual City[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the red star is coming to the psp as a download. Also, for the people who say that there's no reason to own a psp; I could say the same thing about the ps3. Most of the games you could get on the 360 and any of the exclusives that it has are not worth it.

[quote name='anticulture']Because $150 gets you a new PSP that hasn't been touched by filthy children hands. It gets you a new PSP that hasn't been 'refurbished' by GameStop; or one that hasn't been swapped out by a GameStop employee, because his PSP had something wrong with it. It gives Sony money, instead of GameStop. In turn, it also sends Sony a message that people want to have a physical media option with their PSP (sales of the 3000 versus sales of the PSPgo).

There are a multitude of reasons for purchasing a new system for a decent price. If you don't want to, that's sweet. But don't sit around and troll, like a Trolling McTrollerson.[/QUOTE]

I said nothing about Gamestop. I said Craigslist. Your GS rage is clouding your mind, young Padawan.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Sort of misleading. Your low-end quote of $50 is something you can find for a fat model. Even then, the best I could find on my CL was $40 for a fat, and that was missing a battery and the battery cover. We're talking about a brand new slim for $150.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I've seen slims for $50. $70 is probably average for them though. I myself bought a PSP-3000 last year for $90, and no, it didn't have greasy children prints all over it, in fact, it looks about as new as you can get.

Anyway, carry on...I guess if someone's dead-set on getting a new one, $149.99 is better than $169.99...

[quote name='J7.']Here's some PSP games to keep on your radar this year:

BlazBlue March 10
Metal Slug March 30
FMX March 31
PoP FS May 18
MGS Peace Walker May 25
Hexyz Force May 26
Disgaea Infinite May 31
Hot Shots Tennis June 30
Modnation Racers June 30
Patchwork Heroes June 30
Persona 3 July 31
God Eater Sept 30
Eye of Judgement Dec 31
Fat Princess Dec 31
Gex 3 Dec 31
Spider Man Dec 31
SW FU 2 Dec 31
UFC 2010 Dec 31
Wipeout XL Dec 31
Resident Evil Portable
Virtual City[/QUOTE]

Anyone know what this Wipeout release means? Wasn't XL and old PS1 title?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Anyone know what this Wipeout release means? Wasn't XL and old PS1 title?[/QUOTE]
Maybe it'll be a PSOne classic re-release? You should probably take this list with a grain of salt. Street Fighter Alpha 3 is also on there which already came out a while ago for the PSP, and Gex 3 is a very old PSOne game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you can take a moment to get down off your soap box...

1) I've never heard of GameStop selling opened systems...ever. I've been on CAG for over 2 years, and you're honestly the first person I've ever seen claim this...and I've seen people claim some crazy ass shit about GS. We all know they open games, and they do that to make them display copies. Why would they open systems? Makes no sense. If that does happen, I certainly doubt it is corporate policy, like the display copies are. If a GS employee has information to the contrary, I'd like to hear it.

2) I'm sure "greasy" teenagers only work at GameStop. I've never seen them at Target or Best Buy or...wait...I have.

3) "Crap" like that can happen anywhere and does happen anywhere. Other boutique-style video game stores use the "display copy" model to save money on displays. And someone opening a product and taking stuff out of it can happen at any store, which is why all retailers have some form of loss prevention put into place.[/QUOTE]

1) No soapbox bro. It seems they opened the PSP bundle to play the much hyped Gran Turismo. Not talking any crazy S***, I know a guy that used to work there and while he seemed to reap huge benefits for working there, it screwed the paying customer in the end.

2) Are we really going to discuss the employment statistics of greasy teenagers?

3) GS has a horrible reputation for selling used games as new, yeah it can happen anywhere, but GS seems to encourage thier employees to do this. Most companies have strict customer service policies.

4) Cheer up

Have been looking to upgrade my PSP1000 but i haven't decided on what model to go with, what makes the 3000 better then the 2000?

[quote name='abhinav']Have been looking to upgrade my PSP1000 but i haven't decided on what model to go with, what makes the 3000 better then the 2000?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MoxManiac_']I need a new PSP to replace my 1000, but i'm still waiting for the rumored PSP 4000 before I get a 3000. I hope it actually exists.[/QUOTE]

I've owned all three ('cause I'm silly like that :whistle2:D ) and I guess I like the 3000 best. Not much different physically from the 2000-screen has two display modes, one's kind of contrast-y-er (not sure if it's realistic or not), and the other is probably more similar to the 1000/2000's screen.

I don't know...I'm happy with my white PSP 3000, though this is a better deal than that was.

Yep, they tried to sell me Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on release date. Was purchasing two copies. One was opened and one was sealed. I didn't purchase the opened one, because I don't support their total bullshit of opening games and selling as new. How hard is it to print a litho for display purposes? GS is and always will be run by F**KTARDS. (please, no crying pm's)

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']Yep, they tried to sell me Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on release date. Was purchasing two copies. One was opened and one was sealed. I didn't purchase the opened one, because I don't support their total bullshit of opening games and selling as new. How hard is it to print a litho for display purposes? GS is and always will be run by F**KTARDS. (please, no crying pm's)[/QUOTE]

Good point...

I just don't get the open box thing, and it's got to be costing them a ton of sales given how many of us hate it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Good point...

I just don't get the open box thing, and it's got to be costing them a ton of sales given how many of us hate it.[/QUOTE]

We're CAGs. We visit a message board where we are constantly discussing consumerism. We do not represent the average GameStop shopper. Soccer moms and their little kids do not care. You can hand little Johnny the new Ben 10 game opened and covered in ketchup, and he could not possibly care less.

[quote name='keithp']I said nothing about Gamestop. I said Craigslist. Your GS rage is clouding your mind, young Padawan.[/QUOTE]

Same difference. You're buying a used product from someone of questionable reliability, and none of that money is going to support the platform. In the case of Craig T. Nelson's List, you run the risk of being stabbed and robbed as well. Besides, most electronics on there are cheap for a reason; that being: they are either boosted, or defective in some way. For example: "Oops, I replaced the UMD drive's laser on this thing, and now, it scratches the discs after fifteen minutes! Better pawn it off to some sucker!" Sometimes you find a decent, safe deal. Other times you do not. Is it really worth the game of Russian Roulette to save $50?

Either way, stop being a trolling Trollpher Trollstopherson, young Yu-Gi-Oh player.

[quote name='abhinav']Have been looking to upgrade my PSP1000 but i haven't decided on what model to go with, what makes the 3000 better then the 2000?[/QUOTE]

The PSP-2000 lacks a built-in microphone and has a 'softer' look to the screen (which I actually kind of like). It's almost as if there is a slight blur filter being applied. This is simply how the PSP screens looked, pre-PSP-3000 (With the original pixel layout). Because the pixels are aligned differently in the newer models, there is slight interlacing. This is mostly noticed in the XMB, or when watching UMD movies. It's not quite as obvious, in-game. This can be a little annoying if you're a perfectionist, but it's easy to ignore after a few weeks. Of course, the trade-off is: the new screen design is much more vivid. The picture is sharper, overall, and the screen is a touch brighter.

PSP-2000 and 3000 models share accessories. Accessories from the original PSP (1000) will not work with the newer, slim systems.

Basically, the 2000 is a step up from the 1000 (save for the cheap UMD door), and the 3000 is a step up from the 2000 (unless you're a dickhead pirate, in which case, you want the 2000).

Having owned all three, I recommend the 3000. The build quality seems to be a little bit better than the 2000 (the UMD door actually closes all the way on the 3000). The improved screen and on-board microphone are welcomed additions, as well.

Hope that helps.

bread's done
Back