PSP Go thread-

[quote name='token2k6']trainwreck? I think not, I have been into 5 targets since thursday, not one has a pspGO left in stock and one today had ALL the redeemable cards sold out..a BB I went to on thursday had 50 in each color, a check back at the same store the next day had 12-15 in each color left. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has gotten one has quickly gotten over the UMD-less fact and are happy w/ the digital downloads and how quick it all happens. Not to mention that MediaGO is pretty neat software and the SenseMe applications are something that will set a standard and have Apple scrambling to find something to match it.

so when you think of trainwrecks, only apply that to your life, and not a handheld that will (within the next few months) give everyone a run for the money...[/QUOTE]

The question is, presuming it really is selling as well as you claim, do you think it's going to keep selling after the initial wave? The reviews on all of the tech and gadget sites and reactions in comments and message boards have been almost universally negative, and if you've got a lot of gamers and nerds who aren't interested, you won't have much of a market at $250.

As for "how quick it all happens"...Ars said it took three hours to go from out of the box to actually playing a game. They also said that you can't do anything else while you're downloading a game, and that the downloads over the 802.11b hardware built into the Go weren't all that fast. I believe them over you.

Media Go might be a nice organizer, but that's about it. If you go back a few pages people weren't happy with it. Proprietary lockdown is bad, and so is having to convert the "compatible" formats to Sony's, at slow speeds.

SensMe does look nice, but Apple's already got their Genius software in iTunes and on the new iPods. The only thing I see that really separates that from SensMe is the lack of presets, and I'm sure Apple's going to add that in eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']trainwreck? I think not, I have been into 5 targets since thursday, not one has a pspGO left in stock and one today had ALL the redeemable cards sold out..a BB I went to on thursday had 50 in each color, a check back at the same store the next day had 12-15 in each color left. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has gotten one has quickly gotten over the UMD-less fact and are happy w/ the digital downloads and how quick it all happens. Not to mention that MediaGO is pretty neat software and the SenseMe applications are something that will set a standard and have Apple scrambling to find something to match it.

so when you think of trainwrecks, only apply that to your life, and not a handheld that will (within the next few months) give everyone a run for the money...[/QUOTE]

There was an issue with shipping from Sony, company-wide, with Target. None of the stores were getting them in for launch. Those empty shelves you saw weren't because they had sold out but because we never got any in.

I was in my local Walmart today and they had a TON of Go's. And it doesnt happen quickly at all. Did you read the arstechnica review? From unboxing to playing a game it took 3 fucking hours. I'll go buy a 3000 at the same time you buy a Go and I bet that I will be gaming looooooooong before you.

what is this thing gonna give a run for their money?

the DS? nope - that thing sells like crack and no latecomer is going to touch it

the iphone? nope - $.99 iphone games cost $5-6 on the PSP Go for basically the same game and the iphone has already sold millions AND has 10's of thousands of apps readily available

the ipod touch? nope - see above

what the fuck is out there that has to worry about the PSP Go? The fucking N-Gage?

we only need one TMK around here

People are actually buying this. I'm impressed. I would love to have one, but a 250 dollar system, 15 dollar case, 30 dollar cradle, 100 dollars in games I already own, 10 dollar screen protector, and a 30 dollar cable for my TV is overkill. When you buy Sony. You are getting a great quality product, but also have to pay the Sony price. I hope Sony does this with the next PSP (PSP 2). Until then, I will rock out my Daxter Silver 2000 until the UMD drive or screen goes out.

Maybe if Sony included all that stuff in the 250 dollar bundle more people would actually buy one...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']There was an issue with shipping from Sony, company-wide, with Target. None of the stores were getting them in for launch. Those empty shelves you saw weren't because they had sold out but because we never got any in.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I never root for something to fail but I'm leaning that way with the PSP Go. I'd get one for $100 if they got CFW working.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']There was an issue with shipping from Sony, company-wide, with Target. None of the stores were getting them in for launch. Those empty shelves you saw weren't because they had sold out but because we never got any in.[/QUOTE]

fuck well there goes my whole argument base! oh well, I tried!!

also, this 3 hours thing is BS!! I don't know what anyone is talking about. Take it out of box, turn power switch on, go through 5 sliding XMB panels to set your personal info and your done. Download pspMINI (Hero of Sparta) through the PSN network at 43mb, game on in about 15 minutes from unboxing. All you guys are smoking meth to think a little bitty handheld will delay your gaming by three hours! this could not be further from the truth. I bet if I started downloading MotorStorm right now, I'd be online w/in 45 minutes after the download.

and yes, you can't do anything while you're downloading a title, but guess what? You can't on any other PSP and you couldn't on the PS3, until a nice little firmware upgrade allowed you "download in background" does anyone remember this? the pspGO will have this feature by march, mark my words.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Thank you. Honestly, lag didn't occur to me...although given that the Go only ships with 802.11b, that's probably the primary reason.

Given that the PS3 seems to focus on the fast-paced titles that don't work for remote play, I'm not sure why they bothered with the feature in the first place. It just doesn't seem like there are many situations where it's useful, and so far the list of titles that support it has shown that. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
Because they can, which is why there's a lot of niche technologies/accessories for these consoles. As long as they're not marketing it as an important feature on the level of online play or trophies, I don't see why they should abandon it or anything like that. The good thing is that it lets those with compatible games have more flexibility with where they can play those games.

[quote name='token2k6']fuck well there goes my whole argument base! oh well, I tried!!

also, this 3 hours thing is BS!! I don't know what anyone is talking about. Take it out of box, turn power switch on, go through 5 sliding XMB panels to set your personal info and your done. Download pspMINI (Hero of Sparta) through the PSN network at 43mb, game on in about 15 minutes from unboxing. All you guys are smoking meth to think a little bitty handheld will delay your gaming by three hours! this could not be further from the truth. I bet if I started downloading MotorStorm right now, I'd be online w/in 45 minutes after the download.

and yes, you can't do anything while you're downloading a title, but guess what? You can't on any other PSP and you couldn't on the PS3, until a nice little firmware upgrade allowed you "download in background" does anyone remember this? the pspGO will have this feature by march, mark my words.[/QUOTE]

I was merely trying to counter one of your premises that you based your conclusion of the PSP flying off of shelves.

As far as being able to download Hero of Sparta in 15 min. that's all fine and dandy but I don't think a lot of people are going to spend $250 to play a handful of mini games when you can get an iPod touch that does the exact same thing and more.

For the record that was a counter to the second of your major premises that the PSP go is OMGWTFBBQ.

[quote name='token2k6']I bet if I started downloading MotorStorm right now, I'd be online w/in 45 minutes after the download.

you can't do anything while you're downloading a title[/QUOTE]

LOL. For a DL only system this has to be the most horrible description of the way it works - and you are in support of it!!! ;)

[quote name='javeryh']LOL. For a DL only system this has to be the most horrible description of the way it works - and you are in support of it!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

dude, I was just working the logistics, not sure how big MS:AE is, but lets just say its 800mb, over at least a 10 mbs connection, this would download the game roughly in that time frame of 45 mins to an hour. This has NOTHING to do with the PSP as you would find the same results with any system when downloading something. I think this is pretty fair and accurate at how the downloads work. Once you can DL in the background and use other apps, everything will be a-OK! :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because they can, which is why there's a lot of niche technologies/accessories for these consoles. As long as they're not marketing it as an important feature on the level of online play or trophies, I don't see why they should abandon it or anything like that. The good thing is that it lets those with compatible games have more flexibility with where they can play those games.[/QUOTE]

They shouldn't abandon it, no. From the way people were talking about it here, it sounded like they were building it up as a major feature. Shows what I get for believing the boards for once. ;)

[quote name='token2k6']also, this 3 hours thing is BS!! I don't know what anyone is talking about. Take it out of box, turn power switch on, go through 5 sliding XMB panels to set your personal info and your done. Download pspMINI (Hero of Sparta) through the PSN network at 43mb, game on in about 15 minutes from unboxing. All you guys are smoking meth to think a little bitty handheld will delay your gaming by three hours! this could not be further from the truth. I bet if I started downloading MotorStorm right now, I'd be online w/in 45 minutes after the download.[/QUOTE]

Ars Technica, take it away...

A cumbersome process

For a product that is tethered to digital downloads, the process of getting to the content is oddly annoying. There is still no background downloading, which means that once you begin to download a game, you can't do anything else until it is finished. While your mileage may vary, I've often found that downloading files from Sony on both the PSP and PS3 can be a slow affair; a 1GB file can sometimes take an hour or more to pull down. For instant gratification junkies, that's no fun... especially when you can't play another game to pass the time.

Even worse, if you lose your signal or get disconnected, your progress is not saved. It took me a few tries to download the entirety of Gran Turismo on the PSP— for some reason, the hardware lost the connection to my wireless router, and each time I had to begin from scratch. That's incredibly annoying, especially when the wireless technology inside the system is somewhat stale.

For some reason, Sony went with the positively ancient 802.11b, which is the same as previous models. For $250, that couldn't have been bumped up to 802.11g? Or even -n? The entire point of the PSP Go hinges on the wireless, digital aspect of the hardware, so why is that hardware so outdated? Why is downloading a game made to be as annoying as possible?

Getting started is a pain

This is petty, but I love new hardware. I love the look of it, I love the smell of it, I love taking it out of the box for the first time and playing a game. The problem is that the PSP Go doesn't want you to play with it. In fact, you need to carve out a significant amount of time before you get to the gaming.

On the PSP, Sony requires you to install each update before playing games. After the system was first powered on and connected to our wireless router, we were told that an update was required before we could go online and download a game. So we downloaded the update, which was a speedy affair. After the system rebooted, it told us that, although the system was plugged into a wall socket, the update could not be installed until the batteries were fully charged.

So the system had to charge, and then the update was installed. But then of course you have to download a game, since you can't use any of your UMD software, and that takes a while. But then the system disconnected from my network randomly because the 802.11b hardware doesn't handle being walked around my house very well, so I had to start completely over on the download.

All told, it took around three hours to get to playing an actual game. I passed the time by playing Gran Turismo on the PSP 3000. If you buy a PSP Go, I suggest bringing another video game along to keep yourself occupied while you wait for it to allow you to play something.

Now, keep in mind that the update issue exists on the standard PSP, but if a game required the update you always have the choice of putting in an older UMD that doesn't. You can have the system up and running in minutes. Since you're locked into using Sony's servers to get games for the PSP Go, you'll be forced to get every update they decide to send out, no matter if the game requires it or not, and if your battery isn't fully charged that could take a while.

Again, I believe them over you. They have journalistic experience. You have a message board account.

[quote name='token2k6']and yes, you can't do anything while you're downloading a title, but guess what? You can't on any other PSP and you couldn't on the PS3, until a nice little firmware upgrade allowed you "download in background" does anyone remember this? the pspGO will have this feature by march, mark my words.[/QUOTE]

If you can't do it on other PSPs, why do you think the Go would have the processing power to be able to do that? Just because the PS3 can doesn't mean the handheld can. :whistle2:s

[quote name='token2k6']dude, I was just working the logistics, not sure how big MS:AE is, but lets just say its 800mb, over at least a 10 mbs connection, this would download the game roughly in that time frame of 45 mins to an hour. This has NOTHING to do with the PSP as you would find the same results with any system when downloading something. I think this is pretty fair and accurate at how the downloads work. Once you can DL in the background and use other apps, everything will be a-OK! :)[/QUOTE]

A data rate of 10 Mbps is a bad assumption. That's close to the MAXIMUM that the 802.11b standard can provide.

802.11b has a maximum raw data rate of 11 Mbit/s and uses the same CSMA/CA media access method defined in the original standard. Due to the CSMA/CA protocol overhead, in practice the maximum 802.11b throughput that an application can achieve is about 5.9 Mbit/s using TCP and 7.1 Mbit/s using UDP.

Realistically, you'll be getting speeds that are significantly less than what you used in your assumption.

[quote name='javeryh']LOL. For a DL only system this has to be the most horrible description of the way it works - and you are in support of it!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Can't listen to music, can't watch videos, can't do anything but set the system down and walk away...and hope that the download doesn't freeze or drop halfway through so you have to start all over again. How is that desirable at all?

[quote name='Malik112099']
Have you ever seen the warhawk/socom/etc servers? Obviously not, cause you would know that they are PS3s.[/QUOTE]
I guess you just ignored what I posted about OnLive. It's a completely different comparison based on the technology. I guess those PS3's acting as servers for Warhawk and Socom are actually doing all the game processing on site as well and the PS3's at people's home's are just streaming the game...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Possible? If Lair can do it, I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more games than the ones in that short list that should be capable of it. We're talking about streaming video from the PS3 to the PSP, and sending inputs from the PSP back to the PS3 - unless the PS3 architecture is even more difficult to work with than the developers claim it is, that should be a cakewalk.

I think it's more likely that they aren't doing it because the number of people who have a PS3, a PSP, a setup that allows them to use Remote Play, and that care enough to do it isn't enough to justify the investment.[/QUOTE]
It's some of both. Remember Lair was a big budget game, but yes there are other games that probably could utilize it. Probably many that did not have the budget or time to try to. But lag is a problem and often it is probably not possible to get a game running well for remote play, or not enough time to get it to run well enough. People should think about all of the reasons and not get so pissed because not every game has remote play. I see Frisky posted something similar.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Given that the PS3 seems to focus on the fast-paced titles that don't work for remote play, I'm not sure why they bothered with the feature in the first place. It just doesn't seem like there are many situations where it's useful, and so far the list of titles that support it has shown that. :whistle2:s
[/QUOTE]
Despite not trying remote play yet, I am glad they bothered with it and may utilize it for listening to music, videos, or PS1 games (I wonder if it works for PS1 discs too). It was something they saw that was possible and rather than just say let's never use that, let's make it possible and let developers use it if they want to, that's always a good thing. Maybe we'll see better use of it too, or maybe we won't, but the possibility is there.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The question is, presuming it really is selling as well as you claim, do you think it's going to keep selling after the initial wave? The reviews on all of the tech and gadget sites and reactions in comments and message boards have been almost universally negative, and if you've got a lot of gamers and nerds who aren't interested, you won't have much of a market at $250.

As for "how quick it all happens"...Ars said it took three hours to go from out of the box to actually playing a game. They also said that you can't do anything else while you're downloading a game, and that the downloads over the 802.11b hardware built into the Go weren't all that fast. I believe them over you.
[/QUOTE]
The price is going to drop very quickly. $250 is for the first adopters who don't care so much about the price. I agree a lot of what has occurred is like a train wreck, but they won't need to sell a lot to profit off the Go. Anyone with a brain should let the game download when they're not using the system. I think the Go will sell very badly until it gets a lot cheaper, but the thing is set up for profitability from the start.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
As far as being able to download Hero of Sparta in 15 min. that's all fine and dandy but I don't think a lot of people are going to spend $250 to play a handful of mini games when you can get an iPod touch that does the exact same thing and more.
.[/QUOTE]
I hate comparison to Ipod because the Iphone and PSP are two different markets, like the Wii and 360/PS3. Given that, you are right Ipod offers more. For a gamer like me though, I cannot stand most Ipod games due to lack of any controls other than touch. I think a true gamer would pick PSP over Ipod if they're looking for a game system.

^^ that was epic! good job!! I was thinking the same thing on the last issue as a response to pspMini's button controls to i-pod touch only control playability, which just sucks. However, it seems that the pspGO might be destined for a touch screen in the future. Oh how I'm tempted to fool with it when its shut (it does more than just a clock or calendar, it allows you to maintain playback of movies and music, which nobody has ever seemed to mention) This would definitely trump everything else on the market.

Hey, you guys wanna know what I'm doing right now? I'm playing my pspGO!! and Media Go is detecting in the background 9600 mp3 files to add SenseMe tags to them so I can generate custom playlists unlike ever before and with ease. Yeah, life is good.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']It starts...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/04/video-psp-go-hacked-says-hello-world/

PS: Glad it worked for you, Linkin ;)[/QUOTE]

Not even close....

Of course, the whole thing is pretty rudimentary, the result of exploiting a known bug in an existing PSP game (which this particular hacker is remaining tight-lipped about rather than see Sony patch the thing). Karl B., who helped us to this one, provides a caveat: "It's user-mode only, meaning no flash modification, no piracy, no advanced custom themes, no plug-ins -- none of that."

It is based on a game which can probably be patched (the reason why he is not saying the game) and you cant do anything worth while. Does everyone not realize that this thing is basically the PSP-3000 with even less accessability (sp?) to CFW? No easy battery removal and no umd drive = harder to hack. The simple fact that the PSP-3000 still isnt fully hacked should tell you that the PSP Go is going to be even harder to break.

[quote name='J7.']
I hate comparison to Ipod because the Iphone and PSP are two different markets, like the Wii and 360/PS3.[/QUOTE]

You may hate it but it's accurate, and with the similar price points and comparable utility it's appropriate.

Since the PSPgo is being marketed as a mobile media device (unlike the DS) and has completely abandoned the option physical media, it makes it a much more apples to apples comparison than DS.

[quote name='J7.'] For a gamer like me though, I cannot stand most Ipod games due to lack of any controls other than touch. I think a true gamer would pick PSP over Ipod if they're looking for a game system.[/QUOTE]

The dual analog touch controls seem to be getting more refined with each set of games released. As an example: Terminator Salvation proved a huge advancement over the likes previous dual analog touch controls like Prey, making for a truly impressive control experience- I forgot I was even using touch at all. Let's also not discount the accelerometer as an additional part of the Touch/iPhone's control set. While its use was very cumbersome initially, it also has been much more refined in terms of both accuracy and useful implementation- a great example for this is F.A.S.T. and the newer iterations of racing games. Anyone who disregards the flexibility of the touch control sets hasn't played any of the newer titles, as I stated above the vast improvements made in just the past few months have turned me around on that one.

As much as I loathe Apple for gaming; the Touch/iPhone an undeniable beast of a gaming machine with a powerful processor set and a variety of input options (which are really unlimited in terms of configuration with the touch screen, unlike physical buttons). This doesn't even take into account several of the small BT controllers that are being developed (which makes the physical input/control issue on the verge being moot, and may even prove unnecessary if the developers keep refining the touch control sets).

Combine those facts with the gigantic pool of developers, colossal community and gigantic user base coupled with the lowest cost of software distribution of any gaming platform and it becomes clear the Touch/iPhone is the platform to beat for the PSPgo- not the DS.

It doesnt matter what the PSP Go is after. The DS consistently sells every month like it just came out not to mention the DSi just came out. Also, the iphone/ipod already has a colossal library of apps out right now. No, an unfathomablefuckinginsane amount of apps out right now. Full MSRP for DD games is shit. The PSP Mini's are horribly gimped (no network or online features, no downloadable content and no peripheral support) and are $4-5 more expensive than their iPhone counterparts which get more and more advanced with every FW update.

The PSP Go is the "I Am Rich" app of portable gaming hardware.

[quote name='J7.']The price is going to drop very quickly. $250 is for the first adopters who don't care so much about the price. I agree a lot of what has occurred is like a train wreck, but they won't need to sell a lot to profit off the Go. Anyone with a brain should let the game download when they're not using the system. I think the Go will sell very badly until it gets a lot cheaper, but the thing is set up for profitability from the start.[/QUOTE]

The really fun dynamic for Sony is going to be deciding when to drop the price. If they do it too soon, they might have a situation like Apple did when they cut the price of the first-gen iPhones two months after launch and everybody who bought one during those two months revolted. If they wait too long, the PSPgo might die at retail.

Cutting the price sooner is obviously desirable for most of us, but it might come with the cost of alienating anyone who was an early adopter. My guess would be early next year - maybe at CES in January - but that's just me.

[quote name='token2k6']^^ that was epic! good job!! I was thinking the same thing on the last issue as a response to pspMini's button controls to i-pod touch only control playability, which just sucks. However, it seems that the pspGO might be destined for a touch screen in the future. Oh how I'm tempted to fool with it when its shut (it does more than just a clock or calendar, it allows you to maintain playback of movies and music, which nobody has ever seemed to mention) This would definitely trump everything else on the market.[/QUOTE]

If Sony was going to include a touch screen on the PSPgo, they would've already done it. It would have been a significant selling point over the PSP 3000 - maybe the only significant selling point - and they've already got the technology.

And even more than a quick price drop, adding something as big as a touch screen to the Go would piss off early adopters. If it happens, it's going to happen years from now, if Sony's smart about it.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You may hate it but it's accurate, and with the similar price points and comparable utility it's appropriate.

Since the PSPgo is being marketed as a mobile media device (unlike the DS) and has completely abandoned the option physical media, it makes it a much more apples to apples comparison than DS.

The dual analog touch controls seem to be getting more refined with each set of games released. As an example: Terminator Salvation proved a huge advancement over the likes previous dual analog touch controls like Prey, making for a truly impressive control experience- I forgot I was even using touch at all. Let's also not discount the accelerometer as an additional part of the Touch/iPhone's control set. While its use was very cumbersome initially, it also has been much more refined in terms of both accuracy and useful implementation- a great example for this is F.A.S.T. and the newer iterations of racing games. Anyone who disregards the flexibility of the touch control sets hasn't played any of the newer titles, as I stated above the vast improvements made in just the past few months have turned me around on that one.

As much as I loathe Apple for gaming; the Touch/iPhone an undeniable beast of a gaming machine with a powerful processor set and a variety of input options (which are really unlimited in terms of configuration with the touch screen, unlike physical buttons). This doesn't even take into account several of the small BT controllers that are being developed (which makes the physical input/control issue on the verge being moot, and may even prove unnecessary if the developers keep refining the touch control sets).

Combine those facts with the gigantic pool of developers, colossal community and gigantic user base coupled with the lowest cost of software distribution of any gaming platform and it becomes clear the Touch/iPhone is the platform to beat for the PSPgo- not the DS.[/QUOTE]
I disagree that Iphone & PSP Go are vying for the same marketbase. Iphone are more for 25-35 year old's interested in music, apps, and other online connectivity, whereas PSP is more for the 15-24 year old crowd. People don't buy Iphone especially for gaming and people don't buy PSP especially for music, those are just things they use in addition to their main reason for buying each. Sure Iphone & PSP will appeal to the other's main userbase but not anywhere near enough to say they're vying for the same marketbase on the whole. The way of getting the content is apples to apples, but the actual content is still quite different, outside of the Minis. The userbase of the Iphone illustrates the different marketbase, it is quite large and the majority of those people bought it before it had any games worth looking at.

I played some games on my friends Ipod and I absolutely hated the controls on Wolfenstein, some racing game I forget the name of, and whatever else I played. If they've really improved that much then maybe I would be able to find some games that are actually playable to me. I'll have to try it again.

I really doubt I'd enjoy using an addon peripheral controller attached to the Ipod. No matter how good they can get touch controls to replicate buttons and such, I'll always take d-pad, analog, and buttons over it anyday for that tactile feel and response.

Apple is doing very well, but they need to adapt better controls on one of their models and foster more substantial games to get the core game users. They don't even need them though. I do agree the processor power it has is very good.

Well, I'm glad that Gothic Walrus and Malik have found their calling in the CAG forums -- spend an exorbitant amount of time crapping on the PSP Go (warranted, though it may be). Maybe you two should start your own podcast or video blog about this topic, since you're both so opinionated and love to share your thoughts with the world.

My recommendation to you two -- actually try using the blasted device for a prolonged period of time; or else, your opinions are largely conjecture and you're no better than the gaming analysts that we all love to mock & ridicule.

My Impressions:

Background:
1) Never owned a PSP previously (thought it felt too cramped)
2) Paid $100 out of pocket due to Amazon.com's trade-in promotion earlier this summer
3) Set-up was fairly painless (did have one dropped download, but no other issues).

Positives
1) Surprisingly comfortable for a guy w/ long fingers
2) Extremely impressive screen quality
3) Attractive form factor
4) Appreciate being able to use Dual Shock
5) PSP Game Pausing is a fantastic feature (never liked the idea of having my DS in prolonged sleep mode should I forget about it, battery dies, and then lose my game)
5) Older games are actually competitively priced on PSN.
Example: God of War -- Chains of Olympus
PSN: $15.99 || Amazon.com (used): $5.25 + $7.99 Shipping = $13.24

Negatives
1) Takes longer to install games than I expected (2 min for a 80 MB game. Really?)
2) Shorter battery life than a DS
3) Quietest volume level isn't quiet enough.

Final Verdict: Promising, but too early to call. The PSP Go absolutely won't sell like gangbusters @ the full $250 (I certainly wouldn't have bought it full price). But I can see it gaining market share as the price drops, and Sony (probably better than any of the big Three) understand the importance of price drops. They're just gauging poor souls who are willing to pay the premium now, and again, have opening admitted this.

I still expect a price drop of >=$50 by early next year, with maybe another one by next Christmas. Why? Because a shaving company makes money off the blades, not the razor itself. And I think the greater comfort and better form factor will make the PSP Go a better choice than the PSP Phat when they reach price parity.

[quote name='J7.']I disagree that Iphone & PSP Go are vying for the same marketbase. Iphone are more for 25-35 year old's interested in music, apps, and other online connectivity, whereas PSP is more for the 15-24 year old crowd. People don't buy Iphone especially for gaming and people don't buy PSP especially for music, those are just things they use in addition to their main reason for buying each. Sure Iphone & PSP will appeal to the other's main userbase but not anywhere near enough to say they're vying for the same marketbase on the whole. The way of getting the content is apples to apples, but the actual content is still quite different, outside of the Minis. The userbase of the Iphone illustrates the different marketbase, it is quite large and the majority of those people bought it before it had any games worth looking at.[/QUOTE]
Now you are just pulling numbers out of your butt. The touch nails exactly the age demo you are talking about for the PSPgo:
#-o

[quote name='J7.']
If they've really improved that much then maybe I would be able to find some games that are actually playable to me. I'll have to try it again.[/QUOTE] Yep.

[quote name='J7.']
I really doubt I'd enjoy using an addon peripheral controller attached to the Ipod. No matter how good they can get touch controls to replicate buttons and such, I'll always take d-pad, analog, and buttons over it anyday for that tactile feel and response. [/QUOTE]
Riiiiiight, because no one has raved about using the DS3 with the PSPgo. :roll:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The really fun dynamic for Sony is going to be deciding when to drop the price. If they do it too soon, they might have a situation like Apple did when they cut the price of the first-gen iPhones two months after launch and everybody who bought one during those two months revolted. If they wait too long, the PSPgo might die at retail.

Cutting the price sooner is obviously desirable for most of us, but it might come with the cost of alienating anyone who was an early adopter. My guess would be early next year - maybe at CES in January - but that's just me.

If Sony was going to include a touch screen on the PSPgo, they would've already done it. It would have been a significant selling point over the PSP 3000 - maybe the only significant selling point - and they've already got the technology.

And even more than a quick price drop, adding something as big as a touch screen to the Go would piss off early adopters. If it happens, it's going to happen years from now, if Sony's smart about it.[/QUOTE]
Right now I have to agree with Pachter, it will drop sometime early in 2010, possibly as low as $199.99. I think it will happen in March. Sales will be very low after the holidays.

[quote name='J7.']I disagree that Iphone & PSP Go are vying for the same marketbase. Iphone are more for 25-35 year old's interested in music, apps, and other online connectivity, whereas PSP is more for the 15-24 year old crowd. [/QUOTE]

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

1. The average game player is 35 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
  2. The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 39 years old.

you were saying?

[quote name='Malik112099']http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

you were saying?[/QUOTE]
I'm well aware of those statistics. First of all the reason game purchaser is so old is because a lot of parents skew the statistics for who is purchasing games. Kid's can't buy games so their parents do, double effect.

Second, the statistics for avg age of a game player reflects games played on all devices (consoles, portables, PC's, Ipods, etc).

So it includes grandpas player solitare, grandmas playing bingo, dads playing poker, jonny playing psp, billy playing ds, corey playing ps2, mike playing ps3, soccer mom's playing zuma, etc.

The point being each device has a core userbase, and psp's userbase age skews lower compared to the avg age for games played on all devices...

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Now you are just pulling numbers out of your butt. The touch nails exactly the age demo you are talking about for the PSPgo:
#-o

Yep.

Riiiiiight, because no one has raved about using the DS3 with the PSPgo. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Okay so I was wrong about the age of Ipod Touch owners, but that doesn't tell the whole story. How many Ipod Touches & Iphones have sold? When you combine those userbases that changes the figures. And also how many Ipod Touch owners have bought it specifically for playing games and not for music or anything else?

I didn't rave about it. I wouldn't bother buying another controller to play Ipod games. Nor would I buy a controller for PSP Go, if I already had a DS3 I might use it but only when connecting the PSP to the TV, which I do very rarely to begin with. Anyone who goes out of their way to buy a controller specifically for a portable system probably does not own a console or only owns an Ipod Touch.

Well from a local store standpoint (I can check sales across my state and I work for the biggest retailer in the word: hint hint) the anti- PSP Go people in this thread will be quite happy to know that the PSP go is indeed bombing pretty hard.

I hate bringing the VGChartz word around here to, but they are claiming some pretty damn low numbers to. Hell I think they are over estimating the sales at a supposed 30k for week one.

I guess we'll see a price drop already in Spring at this rate, or some big promotions in the coming weeks. We'll know for sure next month when the NPD numbers roll out. But they won't be pretty.

[quote name='J7.']
Okay so I was wrong about the age of Ipod Touch owners, but that doesn't tell the whole story. How many Ipod Touches & Iphones have sold? When you combine those userbases that changes the figures.[/QUOTE]
A percent is a percent man, the larger the user base the more fit that age demo. Considering that the touch now outsells the iPhone, its viability for that age group is undeniable.

[quote name='J7.']
And also how many Ipod Touch owners have bought it specifically for playing games and not for music or anything else?[/QUOTE]

Read the article RE gaming on the Touch specifically: The number two reason the younger demographic decided to buy the go (per the analyst/survey):
the big advertising campaign Apple ran last December pushing the touch — and the explosion of games that run on it — as the "funnest iPod ever," a campaign clearly pitched to younger users.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']A percent is a percent man, the larger the user base the more fit that age demo. Considering that the touch now outsells the iPhone, its viability for that age group is undeniable.

Read the article RE gaming on the Touch specifically: The number two reason the younger demographic decided to buy the go (per the analyst/survey):[/QUOTE]
I wasn't talking about Ipod Touch alone I was talking about the entire userbase of Iphone & Ipod Touch. Found some figures:
As of March 2009, 21.4 million iPhones sold.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43922/97/
As of September 2009, 20 million Ipod Touches sold.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/04/22results.html
That skews the overall age higher.

I see the #2 reason on the article you posted as Entertainment, which covers basically everything the Ipod Touch offers other than apps and general stuff like calendar etc. I'm sure some bought it for games but not everyone just because some of their huge advertising campaign during Xmas showcased gaming.

I agree now that Ipod Touch appeals to PSP's age group, but that's less than half the Ipod Touch/Iphone userbase and it is also skewed by those purchasing it for things other than games.

[quote name='J7.']
I see the #2 reason on the article you posted as Entertainment, which covers basically everything the Ipod Touch offers other than apps and general stuff like calendar etc. [/QUOTE]
If you consider calendars and utility apps under the category of entertainment then we don't need to consider debating each other on a point by point basis anymore.
;)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I hate bringing the VGChartz word around here to, but they are claiming some pretty damn low numbers to. Hell I think they are over estimating the sales at a supposed 30k for week one.[/QUOTE]

The Go might not being an overnight success, but I'd hardly cite VGChartz as being reliable for anything. They're constantly mocked on many forums for having unreliable/unsubstantiated data.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']If you consider calendars and utility apps under the category of entertainment then we don't need to consider debating each other on a point by point basis anymore.
;)[/QUOTE]
You need to go back and reread what I typed.

I see the #2 reason on the article you posted as Entertainment, which covers basically everything the Ipod Touch offers other than apps and general stuff like calendar etc

I think I'm going to take a break debating anything with you and go play Uncharted again. It's a lot more fun than arguing with you!

LOL, touche. The long day has definitely gotten to me.

It still doesn't change the fact that both are being pitched as general entertainment devices that "let you access games, videos, music and photos at any time and share them with friends."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']Not even close....

It is based on a game which can probably be patched (the reason why he is not saying the game) and you cant do anything worth while. Does everyone not realize that this thing is basically the PSP-3000 with even less accessability (sp?) to CFW? No easy battery removal and no umd drive = harder to hack. The simple fact that the PSP-3000 still isnt fully hacked should tell you that the PSP Go is going to be even harder to break.[/QUOTE]
Before pandora battery there was a software hack.

[quote name='Stingermck']Saw plenty of units today at Best Buy and Target.[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen any at my local target. And I don't even think we ever got any in.

I would really love a Go,
But only at a 199 or less pricepoint followed with a umd 2 digital format adapter.

The Prices are always really high on the PSN store and we have no reason to think that sony will ever drop the price of any of their titles. They have no competition why would they drop any prices?

Meanwhile Umds can be bought new and used for dirt cheap and the PSP 3000 is able to play both Umds and all digital PSN titles and a much less price point.

I would expect a 50dollar drop after the holidays
Or maybe even a 100dollar drop since sales have been dead so far.

as an aside...

when PSP2 rolls around, it seems like there is a much higher chance for it to be backwards compatible with PSN DD games then UMD, no? How do you think that will be handled -- or is bc not an issue with Sony anymore?

[quote name='PagingDrUgly']as an aside...

when PSP2 rolls around, it seems like there is a much higher chance for it to be backwards compatible with PSN DD games then UMD, no? How do you think that will be handled -- or is bc not an issue with Sony anymore?[/QUOTE]

Technically it is much easier to do, you're right. From a hardware perspective, at least. UMD is pretty much a proprietary format, all things considered. If you try to move forward with UMD, you need to keep the exact same physical size, unless you design hardware to read UMD AND something else.

I mean, sure, bluray drives can read standard DVDs. And BR/DVD can read CDs. So in a sense they are all backwards compatible technologies. (other hardware was the limiting factor for PS3 BC, not the BR tech) But given the proprietary nature of handheld physical media, I see the DD push as a way for current games to be played with less hardware overhead/cost in the future. Now, I'm not saying consoles will be CHEAPER in the future, I'm just saying it's MORE LIKELY that we'll get BC with downloadable content, if you ask me.

Edit:Also consider, BC is very important for a handheld if you ask me. Console tech is the "latest, hi-tech" kinda stuff. Handhelds lag behind--PSP < PS3, DS < Wii, etc. (Hardware-wise, not quality-wise, which I won't get into)

The thing is, compared to the home console market, there are a good number of people who just want SOMETHING to kill time with--on that morning commute, on your lunch break, or whenever--see the iPhone/iTouch's gaming success. Now, if you tell these people "you can't play your old games" there will be SOME of those people who will not upgrade at all. (This is what we're seeing with reluctance of people adopting the Go initially now) But, if you tell them their games will be playable, but the tech is fancier, updated, etc., it will entice a lot of more casual players to upgrade. No one wants the cost related with new tech, they just want the new tech. And if new tech eliminates old tech, it's a bit harder of a sale. However, the transition from a digital system to a digital, BC system, will be a lot smoother, and allow a less jarring upgrade process. Thus, for more casual gamers, digital downloads might be the thing they need most.

Now, I'm hardcore and still love the convenience of no discs, as well as the BC that I'm very interested in--without it I'd only participate every other hardware cycle with portables. (which is what I've been doing thus far) I prefer console gaming so having EVERY portable in a line will not be necessary for me unless there's some revolutionary tech involved, or there's BC to ensure that I'll keep my gaming alive in the period where there aren't many killer apps for the new portable.

BC in portables is an important thing to me, and I think digital downloads will only help usher it in long-term.

DD should translate fairly easily to a company's future consoles, if there are any. if there aren't, well that could be it's own problems.

I'm keeping this in mind with my purchases for the PSP. I'm hesitant to buy UMD"s now unless the price is significantly better than the psn price. But if a PSP-4000 comes out with a UMD Drive and a form factor similar to the Go's I'd be more willing to get UMD's because I know I'd have a sweet portable system to play those games on for years to come in the PSP-4000.

[quote name='doodofdoods']DD should translate fairly easily to a company's future consoles, if there are any. if there aren't, well that could be it's own problems.
[/QUOTE]

I really wouldn't count on current DD titles to be supported in the future.

The original Xbox Live Arcade titles not being supported on the 360 is the only real example we have right now.

It will very interesting to see how LIVE/PSN DD games and add-ons are handled on their succesors.

I think the competition is too fierce for any company not to port over their digital library to their next console. Maybe nintendo since their online support is archaic, but sony and microsoft will most certainly be bringing their DD over to the next gen.

[quote name='manthing']I really wouldn't count on current DD titles to be supported in the future.

The original Xbox Live Arcade titles not being supported on the 360 is the only real example we have right now.

It will very interesting to see how LIVE/PSN DD games and add-ons are handled on their succesors.[/QUOTE]

Well, all I'm saying is physical media is one extra hurdle involved in porting games/media forward, and allowing future hardware to support it. I'm not saying anything is guaranteed, of course. But less hurdles = a slightly better chance, even if the chance is very small. I mean let's face it, I didn't see the GameCube playing backwards with N64 games, haha. But disc-to-disc is easier hardware-wise. And file-to-file is even easier because it just becomes a matter of source code/hardware architecture compatibility. (as well as input via controllers, etc., but that's a lesser issue) Obviously the source/hardware architecture compatibility is the BIGGEST issue, but the physical media definitely doesn't hurt, if they're common.

[quote name='manthing']I really wouldn't count on current DD titles to be supported in the future.

It will very interesting to see how LIVE/PSN DD games and add-ons are handled on their succesors.[/QUOTE]
Didn't it require a disc to access the XBLA marketplace?

[quote name='manthing']The original Xbox Live Arcade titles not being supported on the 360 is the only real example we have right now.[/QUOTE]

what...are you talking about? If memory serves me correctly, these games (only about 5 (?)) were pulled for some reason b/c they weren't selling and the publisher chose to agree w/ MSFT and take them down for buying. I thought that if you originally had one of these games, it would still work...this has nothing to do with the 360 not being able to play them, rather a lack of the title's existence (in the here and now)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Didn't it require a disc to access the XBLA marketplace?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

But the problem with DD on the successors to the 360/PS3/PSP probably won't be method of access, it will be licensing.

We already have enough examples from the Rock Band song imports that sometimes content licenses are a one time deal.

[quote name='token2k6']what...are you talking about? If memory serves me correctly, these games (only about 5 (?)) were pulled for some reason b/c they weren't selling and the publisher chose to agree w/ MSFT and take them down for buying. I thought that if you originally had one of these games, it would still work...this has nothing to do with the 360 not being able to play them, rather a lack of the title's existence (in the here and now)[/QUOTE]

I was just telling people to be cautious regarding digital content's compatibility with future consoles. We have no idea how PSP games bought for a PSPGo will work on a PSP2, were it ever to come out.

The only example on consoles we have is the :xbox: Live Arcade titles not being compatible the 360.

With that, Microsoft gave Ms Pac-Man away for free on the Arcade disc for the :xbox:, but charged $5 for the 360 version.

[quote name='manthing']But the problem with DD on the successors to the 360/PS3/PSP probably won't be method of access, it will be licensing.

We already have enough examples from the Rock Band song imports that sometimes content licenses are a one time deal.[/QUOTE]

"Enough examples?" There were three songs off the first Rock Band that wouldn't transfer. That's it. Three, out of the hundreds that have been released. :roll:

For what it's worth, on this page there's somebody claiming to be a member of the team that worked on the original version of Live, and he says the disc didn't get to many people compared to the install base. I'm with Tanuki - I think it had more to do with the way the original Xbox Live was set up than anything else.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I think the competition is too fierce for any company not to port over their digital library to their next console. Maybe nintendo since their online support is archaic, but sony and microsoft will most certainly be bringing their DD over to the next gen.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right here, on pretty much everything. I'm not sure Nintendo's titles will transfer because I'm not sure they CAN transfer, since the Wii doesn't have an equivalent to gamertags.

For Sony and Microsoft, though, I think they're going to transfer.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']"Enough examples?" There were three songs off the first Rock Band that wouldn't transfer. That's it. Three, out of the hundreds that have been released. :roll:
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I thought I put Guitar Hero there as well. Which brings up the number of examples to a few dozen. :booty:

Then there's the DSi having its DSi titles locked to a specific console.

I have no doubt that not being able to bring DD over to a next gen console would be a huge PR shitstorm. All I'm saying is that we have no idea how DD will work if we get new generation consoles.

[quote name='Malik112099']already mentioned and it is a worthless hack.[/QUOTE]
The fact that freeplay(the person in the video) was able to boot unauthorized code is huge.What you call a worthless hack I call progress.

bread's done
Back