PSP only $149

bluenatas09

CAGiversary!
well I tried looking if this was already posted but I couldn't find anything.

EBgames employees got sent a Email today releasing that the PSP will indeed be only $149 dollars....

(edit: And by "employees got sent a Email) I meant it was sent to us at the computers at work...)

[quote name='bluenatas09']well I tried looking if this was already posted but I couldn't find anything.

EBgames employees got sent a Email today releasing that the PSP will indeed be only $149 dollars....[/quote]

I hope this is true.

that would be amazing. i read somewhere that sony will be losing like a lot of money selling the systems for less then $300

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm just worried about Sony's policy of not giving a shit about dead pixels.[/quote]

It's not that they don't give a shit, it's that the production of the systems isn't fastest enough to meet demand. They are trying to lessen the demand and when they reach that point they'll take defective units back. It's weird how people complain about the dead pixel problem with the PSP when I see various CAG's returning DS's 2, 3, 4, or more times to get a non-dead pixel unit.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']if that is true i will jump up in joy[/quote]

ok smell, im holding you to this...if the psp sells for $149 youll have to post a video, or at least a gif of you, jumping, with joy.

^^

EGM said that Sony planned to release anywhere under $185 and that Sony has strong intentions of pricing the PSP to compete with the DS, so I really wouldn't doubt that it's $149.99.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I got sent an email that said I could have a larger penis if I gave all my money to this nice guy in Nigeria...[/quote]

Wow, now thats a hot deal!

I would assume that even if it's $149 it would be the regular pack and not the value, so you'll still have to buy a memory stick if you don't have one at the moment.

Wow. Well... good for them. I hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot by taking such a loss on the unit... they might just force a DS price drop to $129.99 if they pull this out of their hat. Upon further reflection... $129.99 won't happen for the DS so close to launch... maybe for next Christmas... MAYBE.

it sold for $199 US at launch in Japan correct? Thats what i saw on the news few weeks back when it released and they were showing the lines at stores in Japan

[quote name='cag1000']it sold for $199 US at launch in Japan correct? Thats what i saw on the news few weeks back when it released and they were showing the lines at stores in Japan[/quote]

about $185

It's kind of like the comparison between buying an Xbox and a PS2. Don't forget the cost of the memory card. A protective case for the PSP is also a must have. I don't have that concern with the DS much since it lives in a shoulder bag and protects itself fairly well when closed but even just sitting around the house the PSP screen is always exposed. I'll buy a good case just due to dust.

Even so, the difference in cost of entry between the two product is fairly minor for older buyers. Sony must be counting on a very high attach rate for software to get them past the big hit they're taking on each unit.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I got sent an email that said I could have a larger penis if I gave all my money to this nice guy in Nigeria...[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='bluenatas09']well I tried looking if this was already posted but I couldn't find anything.

EBgames employees got sent a Email today releasing that the PSP will indeed be only $149 dollars....

(edit: And by "employees got sent a Email) I meant it was sent to us at the computers at work...)[/quote]

Could you scan the email?

wow, Sony is going all out, considering PSP is atleast 10X more powerful and expensive than DS. (ps2 compare to N64)

Im canceling my DS order >_> since the only game im interest in is mr.driller and mario anyways, seriously, DS better spice their game libery fast, PSP's launch games is owning DS.

Hmm, interesting...

Any word on how much the games'll cost?

I hope this isn't a shitty ploy to get people to accept $30-50 prices for portable games.....no way in hell I'd buy a PSP game for over $30, $35 tops..

Let's kep one thing in mind that there was prior news of a possible 185 which included battery backup, bag, mem card with a hopeful 149 base price for unit only. What do you get for the 149? Just system? Will they have a 185 +/- deal as I note above? Japan got the package deal which was sweat.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Hmm, interesting...

Any word on how much the games'll cost?

I hope this isn't a shitty ploy to get people to accept $30-50 prices for portable games.....no way in hell I'd buy a PSP game for over $30, $35 tops..[/quote]

Well, Sony must recover the profit somewhere, though I'd hate for that to be the case too.

myke.

Hmmm.....maybe I'll sell my DS if no good games come out soon.....I really hate waiting...but I know I'll just wait and see how the PSP does.

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']i dont understand why they are wasting so much money on this.[/quote]

they want to kill off nintendo for good...they began the process with the ps1 and ps2...now they want to finish off the job with the PSP :twisted:

[quote name='pumbaa']Wow. Well... good for them. I hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot by taking such a loss on the unit... they might just force a DS price drop to $129.99 if they pull this out of their hat. Upon further reflection... $129.99 won't happen for the DS so close to launch... maybe for next Christmas... MAYBE.[/quote]

Sony took a $100 per unit loss on the ps2 and look whos dominating the market. The games are what make the money. They probably break even now(on hardware). The whole practice of taking a loss seems like a monopolistic strategy but i guess to the feds the different systems are like apples and oranges.

[quote name='scott123456']Japan got the package deal which was sweat.[/quote]

Yeah, the PSP is pretty sweaty...

Seriously, someone said that the PSP's launch games "owns" (I hate that word usage) the DS. This was just being discussed the past couple of days on another thread about it being the other way around. Most of Sony's launch line-up is sports titles. And the rest of the year only has mostly sports/racing titles. The main exception is "Metal Gear", which is a card game. And the only date on that is TBA 2005. Does that mean they'll release it sometime this year, or they'll anounce the release date this year???

Before you start making things up in reply, here:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/577/577643p1.html

Don't get me wrong, I want the PSP to succeed. And I may even buy one once the PSPone comes out and it actually works. But don't be spewing random fanboy garble and then running without backing it up.

*mumbling* ("owns"... I hate that word...)

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='pumbaa']Wow. Well... good for them. I hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot by taking such a loss on the unit... they might just force a DS price drop to $129.99 if they pull this out of their hat. Upon further reflection... $129.99 won't happen for the DS so close to launch... maybe for next Christmas... MAYBE.[/quote]

Sony took a $100 per unit loss on the ps2 and look whos dominating the market. The games are what make the money. They probably break even now(on hardware). The whole practice of taking a loss seems like a monopolistic strategy but i guess to the feds the different systems are like apples and oranges.[/quote]

If games were the only thing that makes the money, then Sega would still be a competitor and M$ would not be in the console business. Marketing is what sells the consoles through.

Wow, only 150? I hope they do have a package deal for 185, but I'm guessing it will be around 200.

I already have a DS, and I love it. But I'll get a PSP as well. Why is it that so many people are like "PSP RULZ! DS SUCKS!" or vice versa? You can have both! (although it'll cost a small fortune....) :roll:

[quote name='mst3k_stud']$150 my ass. if that's the case, hello anti-dumping violations.[/quote]

This is only applicable if the price can be shown to be in major disparity with other regions. That would not be the case here. It is also very hard to create a dumping case around products that are not interchangeable. Things like RAM chips came under scrutiny because a PC manufacturer could change RAM vendors for the same model several times over its life. Likewise for devices like VHS VCRs because any brand reads and writes to the same tapes. This doesn't work with a game system. The PSP is the only device that plays PSP software and Sony is the sole source on the planet for the PSP. No matter how attractive they make the price it is harder to argue unfair practice under the law since it is a unique product and companies like Nintendo are not competing in the PSP business

Selling the PSP at a loss is perfectly legal so long as they consistently do so in all supported markets that regulate such things.

Wow! If it really is 150, I'm going to have to at least consider getting one. I already have a memory stick pro duo (I'm assuming that's the type of mem stick psp will use)One big problem though, there really aren't any games comming out soon for PSP that I want.

[quote name='rabbitt']Hope it's true. I'm still waiting for a price drop, the sooner the better.[/quote]

A price drop? :?

If a man offers you a larger penis, say no, it may be his.

No that the vulgarities (as opposed to pleasantries) are out of the way...

$150 will almost undoubtedly be the system only, with the premium pack going for $180-$200 (my guess).

The price is nice, and I will most likely get one.

Better than lowering the launch price would be if they addressed the numerous launch issues (flimsy construction, projectile game discs (say what you want about the original N-gage, once a game was in the system, there was no way for it to accidentally pop out while playing), misaligned buttons, etc.).

As has been mentioned, game price is still a key issue. Don't confuse purchase price with TCO (total cost of ownership).

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I got sent an email that said I could have a larger penis if I gave all my money to this nice guy in Nigeria...[/quote]

If a man offers you a larger penis, say no, it may be his.

No that the vulgarities (as opposed to pleasantries) are out of the way...

$150 will almost undoubtedly be the system only, with the premium pack going for $180-$200 (my guess).

The price is nice, and I will most likely get one.

Better than lowering the launch price would be if they addressed the numerous launch issues (flimsy construction, projectile game discs (say what you want about the original N-gage, once a game was in the system, there was no way for it to accidentally pop out while playing), misaligned buttons, etc.).

As has been mentioned, game price is still a key issue. Don't confuse purchase price with TCO (total cost of ownership).[/quote]

So, what is TCO then?

I find it fascinating that the cost of portable gaming, which has always been cartridge based, is being threatened by optical-disc based software. The physical production of software, then, will be drastically reduced. On the other hand, can we expect software production costs to skyrocket? (and between those costs and the need to make up for selling the console as a loss leader, will that threaten the price of games as well?)

Or will people simply refuse to pay a "premium" price for portable titles? How well are the $40 DS titles selling compared to the other titles (although, to be fair, this would be comparing Madden and Tiger Woods to "Ping Pals" and a dating sim, and might not make for a valid comparison)?

myke.

[quote name='guessed']
(say what you want about the original N-gage, once a game was in the system, there was no way for it to accidentally pop out while playing), [/quote]It's funny cause it's true :lol:

[quote name='Scrubking']Just wait till the games come out at $40 a pop.[/quote]

Some DS games are $40, like the third party ones. I was going to buy Zoo Keeper, but then I checked EB and it was indeed $39.99. Now I'll have much less of a problem paying $40 for THUG 2 portable with PS2 level graphics then shitty, blocky, N64 Ridge Racer, or mini games like Zoo Keeper.

If PSP games are going to be $40 it would be a good idea for Nintendo to lower the costs of the DS carts so 3ed party publishers can release their games for $30 new.

[quote name='Scrubking']Just wait till the games come out at $40 a pop.[/quote]

If that happens its not that bad of a price for what you are getting. After all I have seen GBA games priced at $40 at TRU, and some other places and people have to be buying them if they continue to price them at $40 or close to $40, and then as someone said 3rd party DS games are $40, so I don't really see what there is to complain about. I am pretty excited that PSP may be $150 which could cause a DS price drop and then I could get both....I am gettin the PSP at launch probably and the DS after its first or second price drop.

bread's done
Back