PSP or Nin DS?

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i think PSP owns in the online department. Nintendo's use of friend code, and no REAL lobby makes it terrible for finding games. I think getting assigned random oppenents is nice for something like instant action, but having a lobby like SOCOM online is SO much more enjoyable and easier to use[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's for the kids!!!1 Friend codes protect our kids like a cool sticky condem of love and sunshine and happiness! Thank goodness the children won't be tricked into going and having sex with someone because of the complete lack of communication in Mario Kart.

its like this a psp is a portable ps2 an mp3 player a psx nintendo64 gameboy color.

The ds graphicly is lower than a gamecube? alot of the games arnt mainstream .

How do you compare these 2 one is so superior

[quote name='furyk']Yeah, but it's for the kids!!!1 Friend codes protect our kids like a cool sticky condem of love and sunshine and happiness! Thank goodness the children won't be tricked into going and having sex with someone because of the complete lack of communication in Mario Kart.[/quote]
HAHAHAH THATS THE MOST FUNNIEST THING I HEARD ALL DAY !!!!!!!!!!

Ok on topic ....i think th psp will finnish the DS once the PSX Emulator comes out in September or october

But, I'm thinking the DS will get better later this year, where my opinion might change, with games like FFIII (I want it more than any PSP game this year)
You say that you want FFIII more than any PSP game?....How bout FFVII:Crisis Core

The PSP kicks it's ass, period.

The PSP has tons of good games, awesome graphics, and computer-like capabilities.

But, the DS is still cool in it's own right, what with some good games, touch capibility, two screens, and wi-fi.

They're both good, but PSP is definitely a lot better IMO.

[quote name='Skelah']its like this a psp is a portable ps2 an mp3 player a psx nintendo64 gameboy color.

The ds graphicly is lower than a gamecube? alot of the games arnt mainstream .

How do you compare these 2 one is so superior[/QUOTE]

One also costs 100 bucks more and to obtain all of the ROM features of the PSP you have to break the law, and honestly, who gives a shit about mainstream games? Some of the best PS2 games weren't mainstream at all. That's some terrible reasoning all in all.

[quote name='martin8me'] But, I'm thinking the DS will get better later this year, where my opinion might change, with games like FFIII (I want it more than any PSP game this year)
You say that you want FFIII more than any PSP game?....How bout FFVII:Crisis Core[/QUOTE]

He could be like me and think that every Final Fantasy after VI is angsty trash :)

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']The PSP kicks it's ass, period.

The PSP has tons of good games, awesome graphics, and computer-like capabilities.

But, the DS is still cool in it's own right, what with some good games, touch capibility, two screens, and wi-fi.

They're both good, but PSP is definitely a lot better IMO.[/quote]
Its all a matter of opinion, I haven't seen PSP's flying off shelves and completely out of stock in stores. Granted the psp does have SOME good games, but not TONS, graphics are quite good, computer-like capabilities, sure. I've tried out the psp, its an alright system, but I enjoy playing games on the go which I can't get at home, so its the DS for me. Well thats my two cents. I personally enjoy the DS because it gives me a fresh experience.

Coming from an unbiased gamer, I would go with a DS. I didn't read through the three pages of posts, but here's the reason I chose a DS: Backwards Compatibility.

When you pick up a PSP, you have a library of 25 good games.

When you pick up a DS, you have a library of 200+ good games. There are at least 35 great DS games, and so many more great GBA games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']A lot of those games are good. I bet you haven't played them. [/QUOTE]

I played about 50% of the games on the list. Lummines was the only one I enjoyed.

With that said I'm really cosidering getting a PSP now that I'm seeing alot of games I want to play (Tekken DR, Valkyrie Profile). But I'm just afraid it would sit and collect dust. When I play my DS it's only for an average of 10 minutes.

I'm not anti or pro anything. I play games, not consoles.

When it comes down to games, portability, and price, the DS is clearly the winner hands-down. Every PSP game I have played was plagued with awful load times as well....

I would go with a DS lite, I've been debating which system to get and I now realize that with the DS, I will have options to a much more interesting variety of games. Not to mention Sony is probably going to redesign the PSP in 2007 to fix the numerous flaws. Also, the DS allows you to play all those GBA games you've collected through the years.

its all about what kind of games your into..i think psp is now coming with some nintendo style games that people can enjoy 'loco roco'
So if your not mario obsessed you gotta go with the psp.

There both good in there own way but to compare is like comparing ps2 to gamecube.

Yeah, it really depends what kind of games you're into. If you're into the more mature oriented games, like shooters or sports, get a PSP. If you really want to have genuine fun, go with DS. I love my DS to death. And I see my friends with the PSP, though they are into it right now because of a new game, it'll only last for a little while. I admit, the graphics really do own the DS, but the look and feel of the DS lite is just right for me.

Well if you want nearly ps2 quality graphics then you should go with the PSP, the DS advantage is that it has a lot of good games, (new super mario, brain age, castlevania...) and gets a lot of support. But the PSP is getting its share of blockbuster games.. Tekken DR(best fighting game on a handheld system) GTA Vice City Stories, Metal Gear Portable ops, and in Nov. you'll be able to play ps1 games on the psp. If you want music, video, and internet on the go.. .then the psp is good for that. PSP games are about the same price as DS games... and some games on the psp load slow, (smackdown) but most games load up fast. Go with the psp you won't regret it... both systems are good, just try and think about what things you're going to want to do...

Here's my 2 Canadian cents (I'm not Canadian btw)

You can't compare the systems just by hardware, why? In terms of hardware xbox>GC>PS2 but according to sales the PS2 is the leader. So what makes a system more desireable? It's the games.

If you're going to get a system solely based on the games it can play then I'd go for the DS. The DS has more better games you can choose from. Sales show the DS is beating the PSP worldwide, simple as that.

[quote name='super_nerd']Here's my 2 Canadian cents (I'm not Canadian btw)

You can't compare the systems just by hardware, why? In terms of hardware xbox>GC>PS2 but according to sales the PS2 is the leader. So what makes a system more desireable? It's the games.

If you're going to get a system solely based on the games it can play then I'd go for the DS. The DS has more better games you can choose from. Sales show the DS is beating the PSP worldwide, simple as that.[/quote]

lies ALL LIES! you didn't say "Eh?" even once

I love the PSP better for so many reasons more original games,more mature all my friends own PSP ,some really blowing your head away graphics i still cant believe it every time i play Tekken on that badboy.
n-ds is ok i guess but its more of the same mario ,wario kiddie boring crap,look like a gba with 2 screens.

[quote name='richbastard']I love the PSP better for so many reasons more original games,more mature all my friends own PSP ,some really blowing your head away graphics i still cant believe it every time i play Tekken on that badboy.
n-ds is ok i guess but its more of the same mario ,wario kiddie boring crap,look like a gba with 2 screens.[/quote]original? name me 5 titles that you would call "original"
more mature titles hmm sure if you enjoy ports
head blowing graphics, nah not really its nice and all but nothing mind blowing
at the very least the ds has opened up the market for others with titles like brain age, big brain academy, cooking mama, sudoku master, nintendogs, the list goes on
you could have saved face by not mentioning that it is "kiddie" just because nintendo's games are not only catered towards an older demographic

[quote name='maigoyume']original? name me 5 titles that you would call "original"[/QUOTE]
Well, I know you weren't aiming that at me, but...

1. Loco Roco
2. Pursuit Force
3. Metal Gear Ac!d
4. EXIT
5. Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (I know its not technically a game, still, its something thats VERY original)
6. Mercury (incase you don't want to count MGS: DGN)

[quote name='whoknows']Well, I know you weren't aiming that at me, but...

1. Loco Roco
2. Pursuit Force
3. Metal Gear Ac!d
4. EXIT
5. Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (I know its not technically a game, still, its something thats VERY original)
6. Mercury (incase you don't want to count MGS: DGN)[/quote]

And what's funny is that, most of those games, are very underrated and don't sell all that great.

That's about the extent of orginality coming from the PSP. And I don't count Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel. They do (or did) make graphics novels in DVD format. I don't think they sold very well.

But it's not a "bad" thing that you can play all your PS2 games in mini size on the go. The DS hardware almost forces games to be orginal.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']That's about the extent of orginality coming from the PSP. And I don't count Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel. They do (or did) make graphics novels in DVD format. I don't think they sold very well.

But it's not a "bad" thing that you can play all your PS2 games in mini size on the go. The DS hardware almost forces games to be orginal.[/quote]I just prefer something different on the go, text-adventure games were pretty much a dying genre, but was revived with titles like phoenix wright and trace memory

[quote name='maigoyume']I just prefer something different on the go, text-adventure games were pretty much a dying genre, but was revived with titles like phoenix wright and trace memory[/QUOTE]

How was Trace Memory? Maybe I should pick that one up since I enjoyed Pheonix Wright so much. Text Adventures does sound like a boring concept, but have quite a bit of potential. I'd like to see more of them hit the states.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']How was Trace Memory? Maybe I should pick that one up since I enjoyed Pheonix Wright so much. Text Adventures does sound like a boring concept, but have quite a bit of potential. I'd like to see more of them hit the states.[/quote]Its short, but while it lasts its actually quite fun, multiple endings depending on how many of these "trace data carts" you find, try getting it for under $15, its not entirely a text-adventure since you do interact with the environment as you run around and uncover information through use of the touch screen via blowing, scratching, etc plus theres this neat camera thing you can use

Just get them both! lol But really, I have a PSP. >.> I wanna get a DS lite. Hmmm just look at the games and see what ones you want because they are both great systems.

i've got both. i like them both.
which do you prefer?
noisy psp (because of the UMD disc spinning)
quiet ds (tiny cartridges that don't spin & can save onto)

[quote name='iPlay360']i've got both. i like them both.
which do you prefer?
quiet ds (tiny cartridges that don't spin & can save onto)[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, the OP probably made his decision about half a year ago.

[quote name='Chacrana']unfortunately, the OP probably made his decision about half a year ago.[/QUOTE]

I was thinkin' who would dig up this old thread?

To me neither are great, I don't want to pay $40 for ports and once and awhile a good game..

The DS has some nice games, I'm excited for pretty much all the first party but I really have yet to see a real unbelivable 3rd party game I want.

I lean to the DS because it just seems like the more fun system.

[quote name='iPlay360']i've got both. i like them both.
which do you prefer?
quiet ds (tiny cartridges that don't spin & can save onto)[/QUOTE]

pbride02.jpeg

Wise fwom yow gwaaavvvee!!!!!

i agree with the DS. Sony has hit the mark, but it is forever and a day to load a game. i got rid of mine as well. meteos is rad and can be bought foro the cheap. metroid is insane and i just picked up elite beat agents, so addictive man. i cant stop playing mario kart either.

[quote name='freezedried74']I have had both and now I only have a DS, sold the PSP. I really think the PSP is a great system but the major flaw with it for me is the extremely looong load times for games.

I really think if they figured out the load time problem and if they put a 20g or so hard drive in the PSP it would be near perfect.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I had both systems, and actually don't have either one any more. I loved the PSP games, but it didn't lend itself to portability because of load times and battery life. I just didn't feel it was a "pick up and go" system. The DS was GREAT for portability but I didn't care for the games.

Both the psp and Ds are good systems... the DS has more original games, due to the touch screen.. But the psp has great games, that aren't just ports, but at their heart are just ps2 type games but portable. You can get better deals on PSP games, than you can on DS games... PSP games, drop in price, whereas the most popular DS games, tend to remain at full price for a very long time. You can't go wrong with either one... it's just a matter of which on fits you best at this time. If you want more than just portable gaming.. then the psp might be your choice, as it plays, music, videos, and goes online. DS.. if you want to play some good original games... brain age, pheonix wright... (the touch generation) then I'd do DS...

I'd pick the psp, for now... you can always go back and buy a cheap DS.... plus the DS doesn't really have any big games coming out this year... (there's pokemon) but I don't know if you're in to that stuff...

I had a PSP, hated the controls. As an adult (bigger hands then kids) the analog stick was in a very odd place, hard to use it and feel comfortable. The Dpad was also very stiff, and hard to move around in GTA:LCS. I think its a cool system, but i sold mine the minute i knew GTA:LCS was coming to PS2. I just cant stand the controls.

The DS, ive never played, but im very interested in it right now. Mainly because of the adult type games like Brain Age and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. I would only want it for another style of games, that use the touch screen most. I want games i can just pick up and play, not have to button mash, that gives me a challenge in solving puzzles and other things. Plus Animal Crossing doesnt hurt. ;)

But i would say go for PSP if you like Graphics, action games. Otherwise go for the DS if you like puzzles, and thinking games.

Having owned both the DS and PSP for over a year now, I can honestly recommend owning both systems if possible.

However, I will say that the only reason my PSP contends with my DS is the fact that it is running custom firmware. I use it for my trips to play NES, Genesis and Gameboy Advance games. The portable system and awesome screen are perfect for pick up and play games, but the save states are also good for the RPG's and longer adventures.

Lately, what has really turned my DS into decoration on my shelf is Playstation One games. I've loaded about 12 PS1 games on my PSP and I have been glued to it ever since. I'm playing RPG's I never had the time to play before like Star Ocean, Xenogears and even some Action RPG's like Threads of Fate. Eihander, Silent Hill and Soul Reaver have been getting plenty of gametime as of late and I'll probably finish them this weekend as I'll be on a 4 hour flight.

Now I know that this may be seen as piracy for some people, however I justify it knowing that I own the actual PS1 games and the PSP is just a medium for which I use to play the games.

Having said that, If using custom firmware is not something you would do then the DS would be an ideal route. Better games available for purchase and cheaper all around.

If you want to play the extensions to well known Sony-centric franchises such as Metal Gear Acid, Daxter (Jak and Daxter), Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, (upcoming) God of War, or love racing games (Need For Speed, etc) then definitely get the PSP. It also has alot of subpar RPGs, a few cool quirky titles (puzzler Lumines & the awesome LocoRoco) and some decent dungeon hacks (Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony).

The DS has its share of great games too, and if you are into Nintendos stuff, its a must with Pokemon, Super Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi, Metroid Pinball, the Brain games...etc. Plus there's two Castlevanias and the pretty good-almost great Lunar Knights RPG/action/slash n hacker.

Both have great titles and are systems I have played extensively. Id say own both if you possibly can.

To whoever resurrected this thread, thanks!

I'm going on a week long trip as well as a 4 day trip this summer and really need something to keep me sane over the long drive with my little cousin. I've been considering buying a portable system and wasn't sure which one I'd prefer until now.

I already have a PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 so I love my console games, but have never owned a portable device. With that said, I think I'm going to buy a DS for 2 reasons: 1) It's cheap, which is huge because my trips are putting my on a big budget. 2) I don't want to get the console experience except on the go. I'd rather play new games that I can't get anywhere else. For these reasons the DS appeals to me. Mainly, I'm excited to finally play Animal Crossing and other Nintendo franchise games. I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 so it will be a nice reunion. Plus I want to play a bunch of strategy and RTS games such as Age of Empire and the Advance Wars games since I don't like to game on my laptop. Also, I'm definitely looking forward to the large amount of Game Boy Advance games available. Thanks! I've finally made up my mind.

Maybe I'll get a PSP later, but right now I don't want to play mainly ports or sports/action games. Plus I have an iPod so I don't really need all those extra media capabilities. It's tempting, but I'll go with the new experience over a similar one that I can get at home.

I had both systems at one time. I recently went on a trip to Japan and all I played on my travel time was DS, and I played alot cause the in-flight movies sucked. The only time I touched my PSP was to watch Final Fantasy: Advent Children. For me the PSP was an impulse buy just to play Tekken DR. But once I had my fill of that I ended up just selling it on eBay. Normally I play portables in short bursts and the DS is better suited for that.

Don't get me wrong the PSP is a good system, but it's not for me.

[quote name='The Crotch']Neither Advance Wars nor Age of Kings DS are RTS'. While the machine seems made for RTS', I don't think the genre has yet made an appearance on the DS.

Still, they're both supposed to be great games.[/QUOTE]

The FFXII sequel is going to be an RTS which makes one at least.

I really enjoy my DS. I can't really speak on the PSP because I haven't played it much. I'd get both if I could afford it though.

bread's done
Back