PSP price drop to $130 starting SUNDAY

kart007k

CAGiversary!
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/psp-price-slashed-to-130/

[quote name='dragonjud']Take note that the bundle on the GS website is NOT the limited edition GoW bundle. For some odd reason, that bundle has sold out quickly across just about any online retailer.

What gamestop is selling you is a core (regular black console) with a sealed copy of God of War. This is deceiving (as usual with them), since they're doing the same with Final Fantasy as well.[/QUOTE]

Be aware of Thieves (GAMESTOP)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']I should really get one to replace my 1000 but I am too cheap.[/QUOTE]

You are on the right site then, my friend.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I should really get one to replace my 1000 but I am too cheap.[/QUOTE]

Same here i have the 1000 but 2 cheap

Its not really about being super cheap its just i would like to spend 130 on a couple other games/things.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']I think they were just making an analogy, granted its an analogy straight out of "the grizzled internet stereotype's guide to hyperbole", but hey.

The PSP is silly. When I all had to play on it back in 2005 was midnight club and fifa yeah it seemed pretty weak, but at this point there's plenty of awesome first and third party games.[/QUOTE]

It was an analogy. I don't know how it became so difficult for some to understand.

When I had my PSP at launch, there literally was zero support. At the time I worked at EBGames i.e. got to try games out. Outside Lumines, there really was nothing that was even fun to play. I gave it some time to get going but was letdown by Metal Gear Acid and Syphon Filter really exposed how bad the controls were. I decided to trade it in shortly after. I used the Power Glove due to how both products have little to no support. Yes, to date there are more titles but $130 price tag is still too much for what amounts to 1 full game title released per month for it.

The only people that probably thought it was great were the ones who homebrewed to play ROMs on it. ;)

[quote name='lordopus99']
When I had my PSP at launch, there literally was zero support. At the time I worked at EBGames i.e. got to try games out. Outside Lumines, there really was nothing that was even fun to play. I gave it some time to get going but was letdown by Metal Gear Acid and Syphon Filter really exposed how bad the controls were. I decided to trade it in shortly after. I used the Power Glove due to how both products have little to no support. Yes, to date there are more titles but $130 price tag is still too much for what amounts to 1 full game title released per month for it.
[/QUOTE]

However, someone buying it for now for the first time will find plenty of excellent games to justify the $130 price point, will they not? I was an early adopter too and was similarly frustrated by the lack of support, but all these years later I have purchased and played many fantastic games for the system.

So someone who doesn't have a PSP already (a group presumably who might be reading this thread) isn't buying the paperweight they might have been buying 4 years ago.

[quote name='lordopus99']It was an analogy. I don't know how it became so difficult for some to understand.

The only people that probably thought it was great were the ones who homebrewed to play ROMs on it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the weakness at launch and overall poor support over the years, there are plenty of great games out NOW on the PSP, so making this kind of analogy just doesn't apply anymore. The PSP is the best handheld on the market today, by far. I've been more than happy with mine over the years, and I have all the models that have been released (phat, 2000, and 3000.

Until it matches the $100 PSPgo, not interested. Why would I want the lesser version of the hardware for more money?

[quote name='lordopus99']It was an analogy. I don't know how it became so difficult for some to understand.

The only people that probably thought it was great were the ones who homebrewed to play ROMs on it. ;)[/QUOTE]

I got the Fat PSP (the $250 value pack when it came out) and I dont have any UMD games. I played and didnt like the odd controls and only having 1 analog stick. PSP was a big letdown until some decent games came out like FF and RPG. The PSP is a good system if they had better support.
Oh, I end up using it for Super Mario RPG. No point of trading it in at GameStop

I think when NGP comes out, The PSP Go be around $100-$150.
The PSP probably be $80-$100. I'm going to wait until PSP 3000 drop to $50.
Great for playing in the car!

[quote name='artego']Until it matches the $100 PSPgo, not interested. Why would I want the lesser version of the hardware for more money?[/QUOTE]

Because its not the lesser version? The 3000 has a bigger screen, plays hundreds of cheap UMD games that you can find anywhere . . . vs. the PSPGo's smaller screen and no UMDs. The Go is the inferior version, not the 3000, as can be seen by the Go's failure on the market.

[quote name='nddave']Same here i have the 1000 but 2 cheap

Its not really about being super cheap its just i would like to spend 130 on a couple other games/things.[/QUOTE]

You really should pick up a 3000, the screen blows away the 1000's . . . brighter, richer colors, and no ghosting. Well worth the upgrade.

Sony, you aggogant sonsobitches. Why didn't you have this price drop a yr ago when more ppl would have cared. So if you wouldve dropped the price and drop agin now, you wouldve had 99 psp which now looks the better bargain in portable gaming space.

And what happened to psp4000 and 5000 ?wouldn't you at least care update the hardware incrementally so we would have psp 5000 that has better batttery life, physically thinner, brighter and louder?

Pspgo's first impression wad great. I thought I was gonna buy one until I heard the price. When kaz announced ghat it will retail for 250, I said fcuk it. I mean that thing should have been cheaper than psp3000

Psp is on absolute last leg, game lineups are winding down and I still enjoy my psp, than my ds. And Sony has a good track record going to NGP. So I will buy it on the first day. But I just hope there was a better price management by them.

$130 is still way too high IMO, but maybe we'll at least see some good sales now that the base price is down.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Sony, you aggogant sonsobitches. Why didn't you have this price drop a yr ago when more ppl would have cared. So if you wouldve dropped the price and drop agin now, you wouldve had 99 psp which now looks the better bargain in portable gaming space.

And what happened to psp4000 and 5000 ?wouldn't you at least care update the hardware incrementally so we would have psp 5000 that has better batttery life, physically thinner, brighter and louder?

Pspgo's first impression wad great. I thought I was gonna buy one until I heard the price. When kaz announced ghat it will retail for 250, I said fcuk it. I mean that thing should have been cheaper than psp3000

Psp is on absolute last leg, game lineups are winding down and I still enjoy my psp, than my ds. And Sony has a good track record going to NGP. So I will buy it on the first day. But I just hope there was a better price management by them.[/QUOTE]

Sony trying to make more money since people believe in Sony's hype. "sony does everything"
Look at the PSP Go. No UMD. I think Sony was planning on the PSP GO to do well, but when they found out Nintendo 3DS, they abandon PSP Go and made NGP. If Sony was smart, release the NGP and make a PSP 4000 that is priced for people who still want to buy UMD.

I like both the PSP and DS. Both different systems. DS has more games, but not high tech. PSP has a more adult hardcore gaming, but hate the UMD.

I got a feeling that Nintendo will do well and Sony will get into the same problems just like in this Gen with PSP vs DS

The PSPgo is probably going to drop after that offer for the 3 free PSN games expires in a few weeks or so. So does this mean the PSP 3000 bundles are going to drop from $199.99 to $159.99?

Just give me a UMD external drive that can connect to the NGP or the PS3.

I'll stay out of the hilariously awful "lol, PSP sux" debate from earlier.

I am pumped for this news, because like people have said, this means that during sales, we might be seeing some for $100 or so.
All I have is a PSP1000 that I haven't touched in forever, due to the speakers on it being horrible and the headphone jack not working, as well as the [] button. I am not really sure what changes were made between the 1000->2000->3000, but I'll replace my old one when I can get a new one for $100 or under. I'm sure Kmart will have a badass deal soon that I can use SYWR points or coupons on and get it even cheaper.
There are plenty of great games for the PSP.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So does this mean the PSP 3000 bundles are going to drop from $199.99 to $159.99[/QUOTE]

Just got the nice red and black GOW PSP bundle for $130 @ target they had a Hannah Montana and AC silver bundle too.

[quote name='Enuf']Just got the nice red and black GOW PSP bundle for $130 @ target they had a Hannah Montana and AC silver bundle too.[/QUOTE]

Do you have know the DPCI for the GoW bundle? I have 2 targets near me and one doesn't have it, wanted to see if it would be worth to make a trip to the other one.

[quote name='nate nanjo']do you have know the dpci for the gow bundle? I have 2 targets near me and one doesn't have it, wanted to see if it would be worth to make a trip to the other one.[/quote]

dpci?

[quote name='salty tbone']It's the nine-digit number on your receipt. Every item has one.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but it doesn't matter I took a trip to it, they didn't have any more bundles.

[quote name='lordopus99']When I had my PSP at launch, there literally was zero support.[/quote]

That's completely false. It had a strong launch library and solid first year-much better than the DS had.

At the time I worked at EBGames i.e. got to try games out. Outside Lumines, there really was nothing that was even fun to play. I gave it some time to get going but was letdown by Metal Gear Acid and Syphon Filter really exposed how bad the controls were.

Personal opinion and all, but every one of my friends loved Metal Gear Acid. You need to give it a chance and not just reject it because it's kind of a strategy game.

Syphon Filter got a 9.3 from IGN (the sequel got similar scores). They had phenomenal graphics, production values, gameplay, stories, music, etc. IGN called the first one the PSP's killer app, and it's usually cited as the definitive example of how to do complex 3D controls with one stick.

I decided to trade it in shortly after. I used the Power Glove due to how both products have little to no support.

But that's clearly false in the case of the PSP. It's just silly hyperbole to call a system with hundreds of games over a 6+ year history that's sold over 60 million units "unsupported".

Yes, to date there are more titles but $130 price tag is still too much for what amounts to 1 full game title released per month for it.

That's 1) Obviously not true, and 2) even if it were true, wouldn't mean its not worth owning.

The hardware's always been a steal for what you get, whether it was $250 at launch, or $130 now. Until the NGP comes out, there won't be anything better, despite being on the market over six years.

The only people that probably thought it was great were the ones who homebrewed to play ROMs on it. ;)

Also not true. Anybody who wants quality games and especially quality portable games loves it.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Regardless of the weakness at launch and overall poor support over the years, there are plenty of great games out NOW on the PSP, so making this kind of analogy just doesn't apply anymore. The PSP is the best handheld on the market today, by far. I've been more than happy with mine over the years, and I have all the models that have been released (phat, 2000, and 3000.[/QUOTE]

^ Yup, this. If I had to complain about something, I'd say I'd like a PSP 4000 with a 5" IPS screen...but the current model's fine.

I don't know how you couldn't be blown away by this system the first time you played it...with the best portable controls anyone had ever done, the biggest screen, 10x the DS power or 100x the gen before that more or less, etc. It was just astonishing, and still impresses me six years later.

I feel silly. I ended up purchasing a used PSP 2000 GoW edition with some extras for 130 just last week. Had I waited a few more days, I could have haggled it down more.

Either way, I'm really enjoying my purchase. If you guys have suggestions for games not already listed on sdragon's post, please PM me. I'd love to hear some recommendations.

[quote name='mightymek']I love my psp-1000. I would buy a new one if mine still wasn't so damn awesome. I hate the UMD cases (the ones that house the disc, I mean) though. If you get one, it'd be wise to get some replacement UMD cases on Ebay. They are pretty cheap and way more sturdy than the official Sony ones.[/QUOTE]
Damn dude, what are you doing with your UMD's that you need to go and get replacement cases for the disc itself?:shock:

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's completely false. It had a strong launch library and solid first year-much better than the DS had.

Personal opinion and all, but every one of my friends loved Metal Gear Acid. You need to give it a chance and not just reject it because it's kind of a strategy game.

Syphon Filter got a 9.3 from IGN (the sequel got similar scores). They had phenomenal graphics, production values, gameplay, stories, music, etc. IGN called the first one the PSP's killer app, and it's usually cited as the definitive example of how to do complex 3D controls with one stick.

But that's clearly false in the case of the PSP. It's just silly hyperbole to call a system with hundreds of games over a 6+ year history that's sold over 60 million units "unsupported".

That's 1) Obviously not true, and 2) even if it were true, wouldn't mean its not worth owning.

The hardware's always been a steal for what you get, whether it was $250 at launch, or $130 now. Until the NGP comes out, there won't be anything better, despite being on the market over six years.

Also not true. Anybody who wants quality games and especially quality portable games loves it.

^ Yup, this. If I had to complain about something, I'd say I'd like a PSP 4000 with a 5" IPS screen...but the current model's fine.

I don't know how you couldn't be blown away by this system the first time you played it...with the best portable controls anyone had ever done, the biggest screen, 10x the DS power or 100x the gen before that more or less, etc. It was just astonishing, and still impresses me six years later.[/QUOTE]
this a joke? psp did not have a strong launch, the only DECENT game was metal gear solid acid and that game was mediocre at best

psp had one of the worst launches i have ever seen, even year 2 it still lacked many great games to this day if it didn't have PSone support it still wouldn't have a big strong library, original title wise it's lacking majorly.

only reason im willing to pay 100-125 for a pspgo is to have my psone classics on the go.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Are you confused? What does the NES Power Glove have to do with the PSP 3000? You must be posting in the wrong thread . . . :roll:[/QUOTE]

He said the PSP was the worst handheld system he's ever owned. He owned the NES Power Glove as well. Since the Power Glove totally sucked, he means that the PSP he owned was even worse than the Power Glove which means it sucked uberly hard.

Stay in school kids, don't be like this person.

[quote name='kart007k']I only like playing Gran Turismo on mine.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you but I find sim like racing games suck with all digital controls.

[quote name='Warlock82']$130 is still way too high IMO, but maybe we'll at least see some good sales now that the base price is down.[/QUOTE]

PSP at $130 is not high. The POS2 is still at $100. :lol:

With 3DS just a month away and NGP later this year, I don't think the sale of PSP will pick up much even with the new lower price.

monster_hunter_portable_3rd_psp_1.jpg

Please Sony and Capcom bring this PSP and Monster Hunter Freedom 3 stateside! Look at that sexy analogue stick!

[quote name='styl3s']this a joke? psp did not have a strong launch, the only DECENT game was metal gear solid acid and that game was mediocre at best[/quote]

Of course its not a joke. Do I really have to list its launch games?

* Ape Escape: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Capcom
* Dynasty Warriors, KOEI
* FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
* Gretzky NHL, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* Lumines, Ubisoft
* Metal Gear Acid, Konami
* MLB, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
* NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
* Need for Speed Rivals, Electronic Arts
* NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
* Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, Konami
* Ridge Racer, Namco
* Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
* Spider-Man 2, Activision
* Tiger Woods PGA TOUR, Electronic Arts
* Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
* Twisted Metal: Head On, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
* Wipeout Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
* World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

A lot of those are good or solid, and its one of the better launches I can remember ever seeing. The DS by comparison had one decent game, and it was a port of an N64 game, only missing the analog stick...and we got almost nothing over the next year.

Acid was fantastic, something I'd buy a system for.

psp had one of the worst launches i have ever seen

Then I'd have to conclude you've only seen one or two launches.

even year 2 it still lacked many great games to this day if it didn't have PSone support it still wouldn't have a big strong library, original title wise it's lacking majorly.

That's quite obviously false. I don't know if you're just being a contrarian, or somehow have no idea what's on the PSP and are just bashing it randomly.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']PSP at $130 is not high. The POS2 is still at $100. :lol:

With 3DS just a month away and NGP later this year, I don't think the sale of PSP will pick up much even with the new lower price.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, but it's still a massive success, still has a good library, and is still the most powerful handheld until the NGP launches (and unlike the 3DS, actually has a good library right now).

[quote name='styl3s']this a joke? psp did not have a strong launch, the only DECENT game was metal gear solid acid and that game was mediocre at best

psp had one of the worst launches i have ever seen, even year 2 it still lacked many great games to this day if it didn't have PSone support it still wouldn't have a big strong library, original title wise it's lacking majorly.
[/QUOTE]

I think 3 of the top 10 best reviewed PSP games of all time would disagree (or 2 if you go by Metacritic, with Ridge Racer going to 11). Lumines was a great game.

With the 3DS at $250 and barely any great titles, this isn't a bad price point. A lot of people might want a new handheld, see the price tag of the two systems and just buy the PSP instead.

Or not. The 3DS will probably sell like crazy, regardless.

Arg! I'd love to get a new, white Go, with the three free DL games, for $100. I know it'll never happen... but I can wish, can't I?

I have a 3000 Camo Green model from the Big Boss bundle. But I bought that just because I love Metal Gear Solid. I wish it would have been the Go form factor. Jeez, that white one is sexy...

[quote name='mattcube64']Arg! I'd love to get a new, white Go, with the three free DL games, for $100. I know it'll never happen...[/QUOTE]
Happened here. That's what I have now. :D

[quote name='artego']Happened here. That's what I have now. :D[/QUOTE]

Wish I had been able to get in on that deal. I would have bit on a PSPGo and the games for $100... Did you get it on the Hardee's/Target Clearance deal?

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Wish I had been able to get in on that deal. I would have bit on a PSPGo and the games for $100... Did you get it on the Hardee's/Target Clearance deal?[/QUOTE]

I think Target had it on sale awhile back.
Hollywood Video had the PSP 3000 on sale too.

[quote name='halofreak64']How much do u think used ones at gamestop will drop to the gamestop near me has a metal gear 3000 model I really want[/QUOTE]

They've already dropped the prices online. MGS Bundle (new) is $149, and refurbished 2000s are $99. The used 3000 is $109. Refurbished 1000s are $89. I'm not sure why anyone would buy that instead of the 2000, with only a $10 difference.

I was hoping they'd get a little more aggressive with the used ones. This should at least mean that second-hand units should get cheaper on the open market. You might be able to get a 2000 off Craigslist or eBay for $50-70 now. You know they won't get that much on trade-in any more. I'd impulse buy one at $50 just to run emulators on it.

If you want a decent handheld and you like gaming at all...you'd be stupid to say that the PSP sucks. It has a huge backlibrary which most of is extremely cheap now. FFVII Crisis Core for $10? YES PLEASE! Between new games being so cheap and being able to find tons of used stuff it's still a great choice. The reason I even bought one was the same reason I used to diss it, because instead of having it's own identity like the DS, it really is just a portable Playstation. But with 2 small boys I don't have as much console time so I wanted a portable console.

Plus, graphics wise it still looks pretty amazing. While the DS looks about like mid-gen N64 stuff, some PSP games look like late-gen PS2 stuff (and sometimes even better on the smaller crisp screen)...even the 3DS really only looks like GameCube-Wii which isn't much better than the PSP.

The Target DCPI number for the PSP Ghost of Sparta bundle is:

207 19 0074

No luck on finding it in my area, though.

i figured amazon would have dropped the price a day or so before all the stores did... maybe sony wont let them.

[quote name='indyben']They've already dropped the prices online. MGS Bundle (new) is $149, and refurbished 2000s are $99. The used 3000 is $109. Refurbished 1000s are $89. I'm not sure why anyone would buy that instead of the 2000, with only a $10 difference.

I was hoping they'd get a little more aggressive with the used ones. This should at least mean that second-hand units should get cheaper on the open market. You might be able to get a 2000 off Craigslist or eBay for $50-70 now. You know they won't get that much on trade-in any more. I'd impulse buy one at $50 just to run emulators on it.[/QUOTE]

Great for running those classics like FF2, FF3, Super Mario RPG, etc.
I'm not sure if the PSP 3000 can do it.

[quote name='briking']The Target DCPI number for the PSP Ghost of Sparta bundle is:

207 19 0074

No luck on finding it in my area, though.[/QUOTE]

Is it going to drop in price, or is already on clearance?

bread's done
Back