PSP Slim Redesign

[quote name='bobo2k4']Stupid question....I plan on getting this to play FFT and read that the battery life on the psp isn't too great. Will I be able to play the thing with the AC adaptor hooked up to an outlet without using the battery?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can play it while plugged in and it won't use the battery. Also people exaggerate about the battery life.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yes, you can play it while plugged in and it won't use the battery. Also people exaggerate about the battery life.[/quote]

Well I think the problem is people are used to the battery life of the GBA and DS. The PSP battery life is reasonable for the power and functionality the system offers. In comparison however to the Nintendo portables it sucks.

[quote name='anarchyburger']i wonder if this will be worth the 200 bones, what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

The old one's easily worth that. :lol: Of course it's worth $200 for a 1GB Memory Stick and Daxter along with the system!

[quote name='bobo2k4']Stupid question....I plan on getting this to play FFT and read that the battery life on the psp isn't too great. Will I be able to play the thing with the AC adaptor hooked up to an outlet without using the battery?[/QUOTE]

Okay, in the first place, the battery life thing is pretty much a fanboi claim. A CNet show tested it against the DS Lite and said the original Playstation Portable wins in battery life. And I've never had either run out. But like all lithium batteries, you want to keep it charged up as much as possible. If you're using it so much it can actually run down, then you should get some external power solution or something (or a second battery, or whatever).

It can be used plugged in to an outlet, and also it can be used without a battery, which the DS can't.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']same here. would be real nice if so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was hoping for that but decided to just sell it now while it's probably worth more. I hope I can get one at launch though, since it's kind of painful being without it :(

I can't imagine the PSP 2/Slim/Etc. will be hard to get at launch, or at least shortly thereafter. This isn't even a radical redesign like the DS Lite was. After a week or so you may see shortages in store, but then they should be receiving new shipments by then.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Has Sony updated the video formats the PSP supports? If it supported avi or divx I'd buy it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

sadly no, but at least PSP video 9 always does on outstanding job converting.

Oh, wow. I can't believe how much failure there is in two sentences.
[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, in the first place, the battery life thing is pretty much a fanboi claim. A CNet show tested it against the DS Lite and said the original Playstation Portable wins in battery life. [/quote]

[quote name='naes']Oh, wow. I can't believe how much failure there is in two sentences.[/QUOTE]

I hate to beat the fanboy framing thing, but there's alot of fanboyism in even responding to that quote. heck, you'll probably quot me in the realm of fanboyism.

No way in hell the PSP comes close to being as good at battery consumption as the DS lite. If you leave the PSP unplugged for two days it won't turn on. While on the other hand, I was playing my DS on an airplane trip until the light turned red (meaning it needed to be charged), I put it on standby and threw it in my backpack. I remember two weeks later that I still needed to save it, low and behold when I opened it I was still at the same spot when I standbyed and was able to save.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, in the first place, the battery life thing is pretty much a fanboi claim. A CNet show tested it against the DS Lite and said the original Playstation Portable wins in battery life.[/quote]

Link to documentation or some sort of article? There's no way a PSP will last longer than a DS Lite.

Any idea if I can preorder the Daxter bundle at Gamestop? I think I might do that if possible.

:rofl: PSP lasting longer than a DSL?! I'm pretty sure mine's on right now. I put that bad boy in standby more often than I can remember. Even with a red light, if you turn the sound down you can give it another 30 mins to an hour before it flat out turns off.

Chris in Cali has a good point about divx. Has anyone in the homebrew scene tried doing so? I'm already sold is for the output to a TV since my other place has none of my systems, so divx playback would be amazing.

[quote name='naes']Oh, wow. I can't believe how much failure there is in two sentences.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What does this even mean? If you don't like Cnet, say so.

[quote name='zewone']No way in hell the PSP comes close to being as good at battery consumption as the DS lite. If you leave the PSP unplugged for two days it won't turn on. [/QUOTE]

You either have a defective unit, or are lying.

[quote name='Rocko']Link to documentation or some sort of article? There's no way a PSP will last longer than a DS Lite.[/quote]

Regardless, that's what their tests showed. As I've said, it was on one of their shows. I saw it on their Tivo show originally.

Regardless the PSP's battery life is fine. Claims to the contrary are lies perpetrated by pathetic fanbois. If you really need longer battery life, get another power source.

I'm a happy DS user, but one thing I really wish the DS had, and that the PSP does, is an analog stick. The new design PSP does in fact have me even more interested. No, it's not revolutionary, but it does seem like an even better system than it was. Too bad I don't have $250+ to blow on it (250+, of course, as it's useless without some games!) Some day, though.

So far I haven’t found the touch screen useful. I think Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 is the only game I’ve played that actually is sort of neat with it, and is a full game. I’d gladly trade it for an analog stick. (I even hate it for strategy games, where I thought it might be kind of useful.)

Of course I’d like two sticks on the PSP, but then no other portable has any, so it’s not like I can really complain 

[quote name='Wolfpup']You either have a defective unit, or are lying.

Regardless, that's what their tests showed. As I've said, it was on one of their shows. I saw it on their Tivo show originally.

Regardless the PSP's battery life is fine. Claims to the contrary are lies perpetrated by pathetic fanbois. If you really need longer battery life, get another power source.[/quote]

Uhh huh, I can use my PSP for audio files for like 6 hrs I can use it for games for 3 or 4 hrs. I can use my DS lite for around 8 hrs of intensive gaming "with" audio before the thing dies. Tell me again how the PSP battery life is SOOOOO much better again I need another laugh.

Seriously I own both I've used both extensively and they don't REMOTELY compare in battery power. In fact if I didn't keep my DS on the brightest lighting setting I could I likely could get even "more" life out of it. I might could improve my PSP in a similar manner but its screen is now where near is bright as a DS lite and it wouldnt be as tolerable.

I admit I am a DS fanboy, but I do have a PSP and play it occasionally.

There's no way that the PSP has longer battery life than the DS Lite.
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I hate to beat the fanboy framing thing, but there's alot of fanboyism in even responding to that quote. heck, you'll probably quot me in the realm of fanboyism.[/quote]

[quote name='PhoenixT']Uhh huh, I can use my PSP for audio files for like 6 hrs I can use it for games for 3 or 4 hrs. I can use my DS lite for around 8 hrs of intensive gaming "with" audio before the thing dies. Tell me again how the PSP battery life is SOOOOO much better again I need another laugh.

Seriously I own both I've used both extensively and they don't REMOTELY compare in battery power. In fact if I didn't keep my DS on the brightest lighting setting I could I likely could get even "more" life out of it. I might could improve my PSP in a similar manner but its screen is now where near is bright as a DS lite and it wouldnt be as tolerable.[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. I normally let these things go but WP seems to be a bit overzealous on PSP > DS battery life. I don't see how the PSP can outlast a DS in battery capacity. I have both and it's clear that my DS outlasts my PSP by a 2:1 margin on average.

I'd guess it's probably only a function of having the comparision with my DS. If I had a PSP only, I'd probably be ok with the 3-4 hr battery life. But for me, right now, it's somewhat annoying. I do want longer battery life.

Just let it go WP. I believe the vast majority here who have both systems have indicated battery life goes to the DS regardless of what CNET says. It would be interesting to see what they did to get those results, but apparently, it can't be verified......:applause:

[quote name='PhoenixT']Uhh huh, I can use my PSP for audio files for like 6 hrs I can use it for games for 3 or 4 hrs. I can use my DS lite for around 8 hrs of intensive gaming "with" audio before the thing dies. Tell me again how the PSP battery life is SOOOOO much better again I need another laugh. [/quote]

Why are you telling me this? Complain to Cnet if you have a problem.

No, we'll complain to you because you made the statement and you have yet to provide this cnet article.

Even with the PSP at lowest brightness and no sound, running off the memory stick, PSP could only hope to equal the DS Lite longevity at full brightness.

Then again, I run mine at 333, and I mostly play games off the memory stick.

[quote name='jer7583']No, we'll complain to you because you made the statement and you have yet to provide this cnet article.

Even with the PSP at lowest brightness and no sound, running off the memory stick, PSP could only hope to equal the DS Lite longevity at full brightness.

Then again, I run mine at 333, and I mostly play games off the memory stick.[/QUOTE]
I think he said earlier it was on some cnet video show. Understandably, nobody wants to bother finding it.

he stated he had a reliable article or news video saying the PSP battery life had been tested and was better than the DS why should "we" look it up when he's the one saying he has facts to back up his claim?

[quote name='Wolfpup']You either have a defective unit, or are lying.[/QUOTE]
Neither. Why I would I lie about system's battery life?

Either you have no idea what you're talking about, or you are lying.

[quote name='zewone']Neither. Why I would I lie about system's battery life?

Either you have no idea what you're talking about, or you are lying.[/QUOTE]

Well it's either one or the other. If you're not lying, then it's option A. Your PSP is defective.

[quote name='Wolfpup']:roll: Well it's either one or the other. If you're not lying, then it's option A. Your PSP is defective.[/QUOTE]
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Then everyone else's PSP must be defective as well. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Like I said, it's either one or the other. You don't know what you're talking about or you're lying.

[quote name='PhoenixT']he stated he had a reliable article or news video saying the PSP battery life had been tested and was better than the DS why should "we" look it up when he's the one saying he has facts to back up his claim?[/QUOTE]

If you're interested, look it up. Cnet.com. I didn't watch it on the web.

What they said surprised me, and as far as I'm concerned battery life shouldn't be an issue on either system for most users. If it is, you buy a second battery, or a charger, or whatever.

Both systems should be kept fully charged regardless.

personal experience is best. DS wins in battery life, but it makes more sense since it's all cart, and no moving parts alongside no loading really. It's about the same I say in terms of power. More power comes at a cost. though, I hate comparing so um... fuck it.

if you like the battery life, good. if you don't, good.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Why are you telling me this? Complain to Cnet if you have a problem.[/QUOTE]

Give the link, fanboy

I just found what he was talking about, I think.

DS Lite gets 5 hours on max settings
PSP gets 5.5 on max settings

I don't buy it. I get waaaayyyy more time with my DS Lite than 5 hours.

stop comparing. just because it's portable dosn't mean they're both the same thus puttinf time comparisons in play. It's like having a battery opperated toaster compared to a lithium fridge.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If you're interested, look it up. Cnet.com. I didn't watch it on the web.

What they said surprised me, and as far as I'm concerned battery life shouldn't be an issue on either system for most users. If it is, you buy a second battery, or a charger, or whatever.

Both systems should be kept fully charged regardless.[/quote]Post the link or shut the fuck up :cool:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']decent overview video of the slim... kinda has one spot where you get an idea of how the back of the system was slimmed and also some of the video out stuff:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3055374730101888074btnsSu

still want one badly... will push me more to get an HDTV. I don't care too much for the TV out since it's the d-pad and buttons as well as load times that make me want to change.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what the movies and games would look like on TV (framing-wise, couldn't tell resolution due to bad resolution of camera or compression issues). Looks good but the guy is a doofus:

- Letterbox? Really? That's a window box shown during the MLB sample.
- Increased load times? Just what I was looking for.

Sign me up! :lol:

Anyhow, I have a deposit down on the Vader version. Not sure what I'm going to do with my original one. Guess we'll see if there will be any trade in deals.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Regardless, that's what their tests showed.[/quote]

Regardless, eh? I really wish I was allowed to make bullshit statements, then, when questioned, say "Regardless, I'm correct."

[quote name='Wolfpup']So far I haven’t found the touch screen useful.[/quote]

You're playing the wrong games.

I think the best part about this is that you critisize people for being PSP fanboys, yet refuse to admit that the PSP has less battery life than the DS due to some random TV show you saw while almsot everyone here says you're incorrect. Sweet ironing.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']decent overview video of the slim... kinda has one spot where you get an idea of how the back of the system was slimmed and also some of the video out stuff:

still want one badly... will push me more to get an HDTV. I don't care too much for the TV out since it's the d-pad and buttons as well as load times that make me want to change.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, saw this video just now from the Kotaku article.

The new UMD tray looks like it holds the disc a little less securely as it gets put in/out. It looked like the UMD kinda fell out when he took out the Jet Li movie.

I couldn't tell from the video if they scooted the face buttons a tiny bit more to the right with the new PSP slim, like all the press release screenshots from E3 seemed to show (less space between the right edge and the circle button). Maybe it was just a lighting thing from those screens, I guess?

While I liked how the video out was for movies and such (I forgot the PSP supports 720x480 video off the memory stick, same as a UMD movie), games in a fixed window size on the screen is a little disheartening, though understandable if a game doesn't scale well from 480x272 to 1920x1080 or something. Really, though, I was hoping the back of the PSP was still somewhat matte in texture and better suited for the bigger battery for longer life.

Quote straight from the video on the battery bay and PSP's back: "It's a battery kit, so basically we include the earlier PSP-1000 battery, included with a battery cover because if you notice here, the back of the PSP has changed; it's an enamel finish rather than matte, and it's more streamlined, more sleek, where the PSP-1000 had the bubble here, you notice? Um, so we have to emulate it with the battery kit; so that'll be sold separately this fall."

I really like the "bubble" of my PSP, though; it gives me a slightly better grip of it and more of a console controller feel/ Glossy, fingerprint-filled PSP that could be easier to slip off = :whistle2:(

But, yeah, it'd be nice to get one for the raised D-pad and video out alone. Maybe EB/GS will do an old PSP trade-in deal for it?

A lot of sold seperately stuff. I'll be fine with 4 hours of battery with the Slim battery. I don't want to buy a new battery in addition to the PSP.

The bundle Japan is offering (FF7) is better =(

I want that one, but it's listed at almost 500 bucks on Yes-Asia!!! That's insane!

if you like the bubble of the first (I did as well) the obvious choice would be to get a bigger battery then. It better come with a cover for both sides to make it even...

also anyone hear if playgear pocket slim will ever be comming... it's a manditory for me.

Looks like the Slim isn't just lighter and thinner but is also a shade smaller in both length and width.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-before-and-after-Famitsu-compares-PSP-Slim-to-old-PSP/pg/49/aid/99197

PSP%20old%20and%20new_qjpreviewth.jpg

[quote name='Rocko']I'll consider buying the bigger battery if it doesn't look really odd or out of place.[/quote]

Damn, I assumed it would just look out of place so I sold my extra PSP battery with my PSP Phat.

To be honest, I never even knew the original PSP had a 'bump'. If the old battery on the Slim PSP has such a subtle bump, I'd love the extra battery life. Guess I'll just have to wait until they release the battery pack for it.

still want one badly... will push me more to get an HDTV. I don't care too much for the TV out since it's the d-pad and buttons as well as load times that make me want to change.[/quote]

watching and all but is the name "PSP 2000" just a codename?

I was hoping it would be called PSP Plus (even though it lesser in some areas - just thought it sounded sweet)

I think I'm the only one psyched for the Star Wars PSP. I keep trying to preorder it but every week EBstop shoots me down. Jerks.

[quote name='Halo05']I think I'm the only one psyched for the Star Wars PSP. I keep trying to preorder it but every week EBstop shoots me down. Jerks.[/quote]

I'm done with GS/EB preorders after getting fucked by them on the PS3.

[quote name='Halo05']I think I'm the only one psyched for the Star Wars PSP. I keep trying to preorder it but every week EBstop shoots me down. Jerks.[/QUOTE]

Nope, my boss at work wants one bad, but like you said everytime he checks EB they say it's not in the system yet. They just added the new DS lite bundle about 2 weeks ago and it comes out this month, so roughly about a month before. Everything I've heard says the SW edition won't hit until October so I figure the pre-order is still a couple weeks/month away.

[quote name='Halo05']I think I'm the only one psyched for the Star Wars PSP. I keep trying to preorder it but every week EBstop shoots me down. Jerks.[/quote]

I tried preordering the Daxter bundle two days ago and they said it wasn't in the system yet.

bread's done
Back