PSP Slim Redesign

[quote name='elwood731']There were all kinds of rumors about what Sony was going to do to support UMD, including building a player into the PS3. Obviously, much of it never happened. TV output on the PSP-2000 is about the best thing they've done so far. Making it only work for HDTVs is a minor slide backwards in what was a big step forward.[/QUOTE]
The UMD playback works with the composite cables, so that means almost all TVs not just HDTVs.

I think in the other thread it mentions that games only work through component. Everything else (movies, music, images) will work through both component and composite. I don't think this means that games are only playable on HDTV's since some SD tv's have component input also.

[quote name='Rocko']...Wow. So you need an HDTV to play games on the TV? That's fucking stupid.[/QUOTE]

That's terrible, Sony's finished.

Seriously though, why the hell wouldn't they let they have composite cables run games. Sure everything would be letterboxed but so was all of RE4 among others, it wasn't a problem.

[quote name='Rocko']...Wow. So you need an HDTV to play games on the TV? That's fucking stupid.[/QUOTE]
I'm not entirely sure about this, but aren't there Component inputs on most SDTVs made after 2001? I know that my SDTV, which I bought for $200 in 2002 or 2003, has a component input in the back. I mean, Sony hasn't said anything about the games requiring progressive scan or anything like that, just the Component connection.

My SDTV doesn't have component inputs and I bought it in... early 2004 I think, not that most TVs didn't at the time (I was stuck in Japan, not much shopping around I could do). Anyhow, it's not a deal breaker for me but I can see how it would be for people who already have a perfectly fine original PSP and a TV without component inputs.

The trick is to hold out until 2009 when all the television broadcasts are supposed to go digital. Your analog TV will be "worthless" unless you get a digital receiver box for it, and I suspect that prices on HDTVs will drop like rocks. That is my plan for the time being at least :). With only a tiny 14" SDTV though, it may be a long wait.

To keep on topic of the OP though, I had never really considered getting a PSP until I heard that Worms 2 will come out on PSP and DS soon. The thought of gallavanting around with the ninja rope suddenly makes me itch for a new portable hehe.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']The trick is to hold out until 2009 when all the television broadcasts are supposed to go digital. Your analog TV will be "worthless" unless you get a digital receiver box for it, and I suspect that prices on HDTVs will drop like rocks.
Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

That's my plan. I have a perfectly good 32" Sony that should last the next 2 years.

Back OT, bummer that the slim can't be used w/SDTVs. I hope that ends up not being true, however unlikely that is.

kinda off topic, but I thought the transition over to digital broadcast was only for over the air tv signals, and thus any television broadcasts received through a cable provider or such would not be affected? Thought I was pretty sure I read that a while back...

If you go on kotaku there's apparently something w/ the ps3 and psp w/ regards to the tv - dont have a ps3 so it doesnt matter for me but there are some good shots of the silver slim psp link

[quote name='Cao Cao']I'm not entirely sure about this, but aren't there Component inputs on most SDTVs made after 2001? I know that my SDTV, which I bought for $200 in 2002 or 2003, has a component input in the back. I mean, Sony hasn't said anything about the games requiring progressive scan or anything like that, just the Component connection.[/quote]
Oh... well then, if you can get SDTVs with component inputs that cheap in 2002-2003, that changes everything since the price on those has likely dropped to dirt cheap.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be HD-TV to have component inputs?

Well... there goes my last remaing qualm about the PSP-2000.

...I should probably update my article before the thought that it will require you to drop upwards of $500 to play PSP games on a TV screen becomes any more widespread.

What's the model/make of your TV, btw?

[quote name='TLR']Oh... well then, if you can get SDTVs with component inputs that cheap in 2002-2003, that changes everything since the price on those has likely dropped to dirt cheap.

So it doesn't necessarily have to be HD-TV to have component inputs?

Well... there goes my last remaing qualm about the PSP-2000.

...I should probably update my article before the thought that it will require you to drop upwards of $500 to play PSP games on a TV screen becomes any more widespread.

What's the model/make of your TV, btw?[/QUOTE]

High end TVs could have component in the 90's too. Although my fairly high-end Sony I got in 1997ish (Final Fantasy 7 demanded it!) Just had S-Video.

[quote name='Rocko']Just a little more than two weeks before release and Gamestop still isn't taking preorders. Ridiculous.[/quote]

Very bizzare for them.

Talked to my boss. Supposedly we're not taking preorders because they don't know how many Sony is going to ship us. How true that is, I don't know.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Talked to my boss. Supposedly we're not taking preorders because they don't know how many Sony is going to ship us. How true that is, I don't know.[/quote]

LOL Deja Vu (see PS3 pre-order fiasco).

Damn. Guess I'll have to show up at Gamestop Tuesday afternoon then. Luckily I have 3 around here, hopefully one will have 'em.

I have $250 in GS credit, so I have to buy it there, but oh how I wish I could just order it from Amazon. :p

For those like me who just crawled out under a rock and realized a new PSP slim is coming out next month...here's some important points of clarification potential buyers need to know:

1. The $169.99 PSP Slim "Core package" (default piano black version) only comes with the system, AC adapter and the battery pack.

2. To view actual PSP games on your big-screen TV, you need to purchase a specific PSP Slim "COMPONENT AV Cable". Estimate MSRP for offiicial Sony brand is $29.99.

3. The new slim battery that comes with the new PSP system is not actually better...you will still get the same amount of playtime (Sony says 5 hours from games...but with wi-fi turned on, adjustable volume/brightness, & other factors...it will be much less realistically)

4. You can utilize the older PSP battery for the PSP slim system to increase the playtime to 8-10 hrs, but you would need to purchase a new back plate accessory since the battery will bulge out in the back.

5. You can actually charge the PSP slim thru your laptop or PC using a USB cable ... pretty cool.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']
2. To view actual PSP games on your big-screen TV, you need to purchase a specific PSP Slim "COMPONENT AV Cable". Estimate MSRP for offiicial Sony brand is $29.99.[/quote]

and you need an hdtv..

[quote name='Foo228']and you need an hdtv..[/quote]I doubt that's actually the case. Any TV with component inputs should be able to use this, unless is it something to do with widescreen issues?

[quote name='Rocko']Just a little more than two weeks before release and Gamestop still isn't taking preorders. Ridiculous.[/quote]

I pre-ordered at Amazon.com. No tax, free shipping. I got this in email today:

"We have received new release date information related to your pre-ordered
video game in the order you placed on August 18 2007 10:34 PDT (Order# xxxxxxx). The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a
new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Sony PSP 2000 Console - Piano Black" [Video Game]
Release date: 09/10/2007
Estimated arrival date: 09/17/2007 - 09/19/2007"

I have a feeling initial inventory is going to be somewhat scarce. If you have the ability, Amazon might be your best bet. I've always had great service pre-ordering from them. Amazon typically knows to the unit how much inventory they will get.

[quote name='daroga']I doubt that's actually the case. Any TV with component inputs should be able to use this, unless is it something to do with widescreen issues?[/QUOTE]

I believe as long as your TV has component video input jacks (green/blue/red), you can view PSP games. The PSP slim component AV cable supports resolutions 480i thru 1080p, supposedly.

Cant seem to find the old psp anywhere these days - gamestop say oos for all nearby stores and none on the way - think this baby's gonna launch sooner than expected

My guess is early september, probably before the tenth. Sony's not makin money when they got none of these in stock, and that many days can really hurt them financially

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']Cant seem to find the old psp anywhere these days - gamestop say oos for all nearby stores and none on the way - think this baby's gonna launch sooner than expected[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they haven't shipped us any PSPs in a couple weeks now.

I'm assuming it'll be posted here if the PSP is given a new release date. Otherwise, I suppose I'll just call my Gamestop on like saturday before the 10th and ask them when the new PSP will be in.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']September 10th or 20th?[/quote]

Right around the 10th, just until stores get them in stock

[quote name='Halo05']But that strategy worked so well for Sega in the summer of 1995...[/quote]

i thought it was hilarious how they just released them without warning...what were they thinking ;)

I'll never forget wandering into a TRU in like May of 1995 with my Mom and one of my friends, going to the videogame section and seeing a Saturn set up with Virtua Fighter. It was like, "What? This is out already?".

Back then that $399 pricetag seemed unbelievably high.

I thought the date was going to be the 10th, why is there such debate now?

I Just hope CC has them on the 10th, and before Im pelted with tomatoes, I have a $50 GC :p

I can't decide if I should get the silver one or the white one. I loved my ceramic fatty but that darth vader cover is some homo shit. Don't want the game either.

fuck.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I can't decide if I should get the silver one or the white one. I loved my ceramic fatty but that darth vader cover is some homo shit. Don't want the game either.

fuck.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Show respect. It's not fucking Anakin on the back, it's Darth Vader, the nubian god.

I think thats the ship date, because products rarely come out on a monday, escpecially since the normal in stock day is tuesday.

^^ Agreed. Looks like it won't actually be in store until at least Tuesday, possibly a little later depending.

My Amazon delivery date was updated to the following week to adjust for this, as well.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so we'll see em on the streets supposedly on the 11th... time to prepare.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like camping out early? I might line-up an hour before store opens, but no more overnight madness for me. Will everyone grab the Ratchet/Clank Bundle? I heard the core slim will have a super glossy black finish for a classier look....might go for that, instead.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Do you mean like camping out early? I might line-up an hour before store opens, but no more overnight madness for me. Will everyone grab the Ratchet/Clank Bundle? I heard the core slim will have a super glossy black finish for a classier look....might go for that, instead.[/QUOTE]

It's 3 min to walk to EB from my house, so preparing for me is just waking up really early.

anybody know if/when they'll be selling just the silver system by itself? After seein the silver in video walkthroughs and stuff it looks pretty nice...

[quote name='cochesecochese']???[/QUOTE]

I was hoping someone would fall for the "What's a nubian?" trap but apparently not enough people here have seen Chasing Amy.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Do you mean like camping out early? I might line-up an hour before store opens, but no more overnight madness for me. Will everyone grab the Ratchet/Clank Bundle? I heard the core slim will have a super glossy black finish for a classier look....might go for that, instead.[/quote]

Daxter bundle. No Ratchet and Clank bundle.

I can't line up early, so I hope they have decent stock.

Also, if a guy has 1 day shipping and gets it the 11th, I'd say it is released and will be in stores on the 10th

bread's done
Back