Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

Yeah will do. I talked to them about rep support and it is something that they are working on. They are also working on fixtures to secure portable devices. The main reason why they don't have reps or these devices offered by the companies is that Nintendo and Sony would only want selected software in their machines. We allow customers to try any game they want. So limiting everyone to only Planet Puzzle League wouldn't be fair especially if someone hates puzzles.

I was looking into getting a Scion XB for our car skin wrap. Anyone have any experience with this car?

[FONT=&quot]www.SmarterDeals.com is a price comparison engine to compare price for Computer Hardware, Software, Electronics, Digital Camera, Camcorder, Camcorder Accessories, Computer Cables and Accessories, Games, [/FONT]Xbox, Kameo: Elements of Power - Xbox 360, Perfect Dark Zero: Limited Collector's Edition - Xbox 360, Burnout Revenge Xbox 360, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06 - Xbox 360, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - Xbox 360, Far Cry Instincts Predator - Xbox 360, The Outfit - Xbox 360, Top Spin 2 - Xbox 360, College Hoops 2K6 - Xbox 360, SEGA - Chromehounds ??? Xbox 360, [FONT=&quot]DVD Player, Celphone Accessories, GPS, GPS Accessories, Video Recorder, Notebook Accessories, Flash Memory & Readers, Motherboard Accessories, PDA Accessories.
[/FONT]

I am looking for someone to possibly design me a home site for our store. They do provide you with a generic site for each store, but I want something special. It will be used to promote specials, explain the store, blog about certain things and provide updates for tournaments. Also a way to gain feedback.

I would have to get approval through the franchise to use the logo and such but shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as it doesn't harm the franchise.

Quick update on the pricing structure of the store which is honestly up to me. They have changed the pricing due to increase support of publishers that do not like game prices too low under the MSRP and a new membership program that is similar to Gamestop.

- $10 a year
- 10% off used software and accessories
- 10% more for trade ins of software and accessories

Before for a Xbox 360 game that is normally $60 new... the used price was $50. Now with this new system it is $53 so a better value still on used software. This also gives some flexibility to do certain specials for used software.

Trade in price will stay the same.

No magazine will be offered with this promotional card. I am also looking into possibly putting trade in credit on to giftcards. This is something Gamestop does not do because they want you to loose or destroy your trade in receipt.

I am thinking about throwing in a free T-Shirt and some other items with members of the card. Another possibility is offering special daily or weekly deals on software or accessories that can be alerted through email or other possible ways.

Right now hoping to look for a location that will be best possible for us.

Let me know when you get your location.

I think I said this earlier, but if you need any help setting up the store when you are ready to do so, let me know, I'll be glad to help you out for free. Anything to get me out of this gamestop/eb area we live in (have 4 within about a mile from my house.) Would also be willing to work at your store if need be, I'm looking for a job at the moment, had a job lined up for the summer but it feel through.

I live in Newark, right near the Christiana Mall and route 40, if you can imagine the area.

Yeah won't be ready till I believe winter now due to finding the right location and wouldn't want you to work for free. When I do get ready to hire I will let everyone know. I was really hoping for Fall but I really don't know. I don't want to rush into it. That might take longer than I expected.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yeah won't be ready till I believe winter now due to finding the right location and wouldn't want you to work for free. When I do get ready to hire I will let everyone know. I was really hoping for Fall but I really don't know. I don't want to rush into it. That might take longer than I expected.[/QUOTE]

You most definatly want to be open and ready by holiday. Holiday is going to account for a STUPID amount of your yearly business.

Once you see an insane amount of cash flow in, don't give into temptation. Bank the cash, and be prepared to have the slower early months be balanced out by it.

Then the second rush comes in early summer, when kids get out of school. Not nearly as spiky, but it's nice.

[quote name='bingbangboom']
No magazine will be offered with this promotional card. I am also looking into possibly putting trade in credit on to giftcards. This is something Gamestop does not do because they want you to loose or destroy your trade in receipt.
[/QUOTE]

Gamestop used to do the receipt thing, but haven't they all gone over to the EB Edge card now? I know all the GS around me have been that way for a while now (nearly a year). Gamecrazy has gift cards too, but they are annoying in that they can only put whole dollar amounts on them (always leaving amounts like 96 cents on the store account :lol:). Blockbuster/GR, surprisingly, has a robust gift card setup (any amount, can be used for trades and returns, etc). Too bad the stores are going down the drain.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yeah won't be ready till I believe winter now due to finding the right location and wouldn't want you to work for free. When I do get ready to hire I will let everyone know. I was really hoping for Fall but I really don't know. I don't want to rush into it. That might take longer than I expected.[/QUOTE]

I'll just volunteer my time to help you set up the store if need be. Carry things in and such. I like to help out with things like that. Probably won't be doing anything in the winter anyway, nobody really does anything then. Just, if you need another hand to help bring things in, let me know.

As stated, you should probably get the store ready to run for Black Friday if at all possible. This season is going to be a crazy season, could be the biggest one in a long while if it shapes up like it looks like it will be. I wouldn't risk the business just to open up at that time, though, just look at it as a goal.

The bad thing about Delaware is that there are a very limited number of shopping centers with people who actually go to more than one store in the center. I've heard that referred to as "foot traffic" before in Business classes. It's usually drive in, go to store, get out. Although, it is like that in most areas.

I hope you find a good place for your store, good luck with it. I'll be watching this thread to see how you're coming along.

[quote name='Flyersfan']I'll just volunteer my time to help you set up the store if need be. Carry things in and such. I like to help out with things like that. Probably won't be doing anything in the winter anyway, nobody really does anything then. Just, if you need another hand to help bring things in, let me know.

As stated, you should probably get the store ready to run for Black Friday if at all possible. This season is going to be a crazy season, could be the biggest one in a long while if it shapes up like it looks like it will be. I wouldn't risk the business just to open up at that time, though, just look at it as a goal.

The bad thing about Delaware is that there are a very limited number of shopping centers with people who actually go to more than one store in the center. I've heard that referred to as "foot traffic" before in Business classes. It's usually drive in, go to store, get out. Although, it is like that in most areas.

I hope you find a good place for your store, good luck with it. I'll be watching this thread to see how you're coming along.[/QUOTE]

Well that is "foot traffic" when people go inside a store. Normal traffic is traffic on streets. There is a percentage of people from that that might say see your store sign and such.

Yeah, I think by foot traffic he meant people stopping in a shopping center to go to one store then also stopping in another store just because it's there. I do that all the time. No idea if it varies much from location to location, but I'd imagine it probably does happen less in areas with crappier climates. Anyway...

For consoles set up in store, I'd think you'd want to avoid using the backwards compatibility of the current consoles if possible since they'd be the most popular and probably already be in use a lot. But using the PS2 as a PSX and maybe even combining the SNES, N64, and Gamecube to one display since they use the same video cord would make sense.

Having a good website is definitely a good idea. Along with it, setting up an e-mail list for people to sign up for would also be a good idea.

Hey I might need some help designing a website for my store. Just having issues with layout and overrall look of the site. I have a rough idea how I do want it, but I can't really get over the whole logo stuff. They have a logo but I don't know how I should do the "delaware" part.

[quote name='Logain8955']As far as the bootleg NES machines go, the patent on the NES is expired. They may not like it, but it's not illegal. Still, I would hold back from getting this stuff in, you dont wanna piss off your Nintendo rep.[/quote]

I don't believe the patent ran out on the original Nintendo system, since Nintendo renews them, but regardless the issue is with the ROMS built into the system. They are copyrighted and owned by different companies including Nintendo and those NEVER expire.

But yes stay away from those because they ARE illegal and the store could be fined and sued. Nintendo sued a kiosk owner in Florida near my parents house.

[quote name='LanceJr']I don't believe the patent ran out on the original Nintendo system, since Nintendo renews them.[/quote]Patents cannot be renewed. The purpose of a patent is to encourage knowledge to be added to the public domain through a time-limited monopoly on the patented intellectual property that requires public filing detailing all aspects of the intellectual property, after which time the intellectual property becomes public domain and open to public use by anyone.

The patent for the NES is now public domain because its patent has expired; however, the name "Nintendo Entertainment System" is a trademark and cannot be used by anyone other than Nintendo and those it licenses to use the trademark.

Someone could manufacture complete replica "NES" consoles (hardware-wise) and even obtain a license from Nintendo to call it a "Nintendo Entertainment System." But Nintendo could not stop anyone from manufacturing such a console, they could only stop someone from using trademarks it owns.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yeah they don't contain ROMS, it is just the hardware and they don't mention which systems they play. They just say 8bit and 16 bit.[/QUOTE]

Random question, but have you managed to check out the Play N Trade in Middletown?

I heard about it today, may check it out this week.

Edit*

Found a lot of empty store spaces (I get bored when I ride Dart Buses sometimes, since I know someone who is a bus driver, he gives me a pass to ride for free for a year- I'm a true cheapass!) Route 40 near Gov. Square. where Chick-Fil-A is, I see a lot of empty store spaces there. Believe that area just opened up. Stores are visible from route 40. But it is pretty close to a gamestop (what isn't these days :roll:). Seems like a nice little place to open up a shop, though.

Just throwing it out there, you probably have seen it though.

Also probably already mentioned, but go with the "theme park" or "supermarket" layout. Theme parks tend to put the huge, most popular roller coasters in the back of the park, and all spread apart from each other, so visitors see everything the park has to offer. Same with supermarkets and the essential bread, milk, and eggs. Put the hot sellers in the back or near the back of the store so people can see everything you have to offer.

Can you see yourself opening in time for GTA IV? Comes out in October I believe. You could tie some promotion into that game, it's going to be Huge (as everyone knows). Maybe give away a free copy if you get a set amount of people to preorder it at your store. Put signs up saying that you can win a free copy if you preorder at Play N' Trade. Get people to preorder that game at your store as opposed to eb/bb/cc.

Maybe tie in a deal with a specialty tv store, like CB Joes in New Castle (is that the name of it? Can't recall, brain shut off about an hour ago, I gotta get some rest.) You put their television sets in the store, with a sign underneath of it or something saying where you got it from.

You could also do something with a membership card like Frequent Flyer Miles. Trade in games or make purchases so many times and you are entitled to something free, like MS Points or Wii cards. Keep that customer coming back, people will do crazy things to get that *small* free thing that nets you a bigger profit than if they would have just bought whatever it was from you. That would draw in a lot of customers. Have certain levels of that, trade ins are worth the most, buying a used game second, buying used accessories (if you sell them) third, and so on and so forth. Let's say, for example, to get a free Wii points Card, you need to have 2000 Play N Trade points. Trade ins can be worth 100 (and you could even price appropriate it, NEW used games worth more than 100), buying used games 50 points, etc. Gets you a profit and gets that customer what he wants, along with the normal trade in credit he would have recieved by trading in those games.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Random question, but have you managed to check out the Play N Trade in Middletown?

I heard about it today, may check it out this week.

Edit*

Found a lot of empty store spaces (I get bored when I ride Dart Buses sometimes, since I know someone who is a bus driver, he gives me a pass to ride for free for a year- I'm a true cheapass!) Route 40 near Gov. Square. where Chick-Fil-A is, I see a lot of empty store spaces there. Believe that area just opened up. Stores are visible from route 40. But it is pretty close to a gamestop (what isn't these days :roll:). Seems like a nice little place to open up a shop, though.

Just throwing it out there, you probably have seen it though.

Also probably already mentioned, but go with the "theme park" or "supermarket" layout. Theme parks tend to put the huge, most popular roller coasters in the back of the park, and all spread apart from each other, so visitors see everything the park has to offer. Same with supermarkets and the essential bread, milk, and eggs. Put the hot sellers in the back or near the back of the store so people can see everything you have to offer.

Can you see yourself opening in time for GTA IV? Comes out in October I believe. You could tie some promotion into that game, it's going to be Huge (as everyone knows). Maybe give away a free copy if you get a set amount of people to preorder it at your store. Put signs up saying that you can win a free copy if you preorder at Play N' Trade. Get people to preorder that game at your store as opposed to eb/bb/cc.

Maybe tie in a deal with a specialty tv store, like CB Joes in New Castle (is that the name of it? Can't recall, brain shut off about an hour ago, I gotta get some rest.) You put their television sets in the store, with a sign underneath of it or something saying where you got it from.

You could also do something with a membership card like Frequent Flyer Miles. Trade in games or make purchases so many times and you are entitled to something free, like MS Points or Wii cards. Keep that customer coming back, people will do crazy things to get that *small* free thing that nets you a bigger profit than if they would have just bought whatever it was from you. That would draw in a lot of customers. Have certain levels of that, trade ins are worth the most, buying a used game second, buying used accessories (if you sell them) third, and so on and so forth. Let's say, for example, to get a free Wii points Card, you need to have 2000 Play N Trade points. Trade ins can be worth 100 (and you could even price appropriate it, NEW used games worth more than 100), buying used games 50 points, etc. Gets you a profit and gets that customer what he wants, along with the normal trade in credit he would have recieved by trading in those games.[/QUOTE]

1. Yeah I did get to check the Middletown store again and better impressions. They don't have a ton of product but it seems to change everyday. My cousin bought LOTR for 360 but forgot to get the game out of the 360. So I went down to get it and they were sorry about that. They are still training their staff. Turns out they just some more games and my brother wanted some. I had a coupon I got off the main site and I already had a ton of trade in credit with the coupon so I picked up The Darkness, God of War II and Final Fantasy XIII (whatever is the latest for PS2) for $92 bucks.

They just need people trading in software and to order more games. The guy is very nice and helpful about his store and how he started and giving tips. The one thing I did notice is because the store layout and just thinking about the future, gamestop has about double the software but they also have a different layout. Thats why I might need a more space for the variety unless I can think of something else to store more games.

I would recommend checking them out, its not that bad of a drive, just $2 toll.

Also I live near that shopping center you are talking about. I did inquire about that shopping center a while ago but it is part of that plaza with Gamestop so no go. Plus its not exactly the BEST spot. Its kinda just in the middle with no real supporting stores there and I notice that it has yet to be filled up. The stores tend to be quick resteraunts or I think a law or tax office. Not horrible but not exciting.

Right now I have no idea when I will be opening. Gears are in motion, but I didn't expect finding a great location and restrictions would be this hard so we will get the right place even if it will take a while. Just have to be patient.

As far doing promotions with local stores, it is a possiblity but the LCD tvs will be provided by DELL with a contract account for a discount.

I honestly don't think you really need to GIVE things away for a preorder game such as GTA because people WANT the game. I would be spending extra money to try to get them over, and promotional items might not do the trick. Also you don't get as much money from new games vs. used. So it would really depend and advertising a free game with pre-orders isn't somethign I want to do. Maybe having it for a prize for a tournament.

I did mention the 10-10-10 deal earlier. Similar to Gamestops' but no magazine. $10 gets you 10% off used games and accessories and 10% more for trade ins of games and accessories. So it helps a bit plus the fact that prices are less than gamestop. You can also use it on controllers and such. Doing a point system can honestly get very complicated for both customers and the store. Possibly having a pre-order card where you get a coupon for pre-ordering 10 games a year might be easier. You hole punch it or something or just have it on file.

Nice thing is everything can be on file for you, like your trade in credit if you loose your card.

[quote name='bingbangboom']1. Yeah I did get to check the Middletown store again and better impressions. They don't have a ton of product but it seems to change everyday. My cousin bought LOTR for 360 but forgot to get the game out of the 360. So I went down to get it and they were sorry about that. They are still training their staff. Turns out they just some more games and my brother wanted some. I had a coupon I got off the main site and I already had a ton of trade in credit with the coupon so I picked up The Darkness, God of War II and Final Fantasy XIII (whatever is the latest for PS2) for $92 bucks.

They just need people trading in software and to order more games. The guy is very nice and helpful about his store and how he started and giving tips. The one thing I did notice is because the store layout and just thinking about the future, gamestop has about double the software but they also have a different layout. Thats why I might need a more space for the variety unless I can think of something else to store more games.

I would recommend checking them out, its not that bad of a drive, just $2 toll.

Also I live near that shopping center you are talking about. I did inquire about that shopping center a while ago but it is part of that plaza with Gamestop so no go. Plus its not exactly the BEST spot. Its kinda just in the middle with no real supporting stores there and I notice that it has yet to be filled up. The stores tend to be quick resteraunts or I think a law or tax office. Not horrible but not exciting.

Right now I have no idea when I will be opening. Gears are in motion, but I didn't expect finding a great location and restrictions would be this hard so we will get the right place even if it will take a while. Just have to be patient.

As far doing promotions with local stores, it is a possiblity but the LCD tvs will be provided by DELL with a contract account for a discount.

I honestly don't think you really need to GIVE things away for a preorder game such as GTA because people WANT the game. I would be spending extra money to try to get them over, and promotional items might not do the trick. Also you don't get as much money from new games vs. used. So it would really depend and advertising a free game with pre-orders isn't somethign I want to do. Maybe having it for a prize for a tournament.

I did mention the 10-10-10 deal earlier. Similar to Gamestops' but no magazine. $10 gets you 10% off used games and accessories and 10% more for trade ins of games and accessories. So it helps a bit plus the fact that prices are less than gamestop. You can also use it on controllers and such. Doing a point system can honestly get very complicated for both customers and the store. Possibly having a pre-order card where you get a coupon for pre-ordering 10 games a year might be easier. You hole punch it or something or just have it on file.

Nice thing is everything can be on file for you, like your trade in credit if you loose your card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see it from your end as losing $60 on a game. I wouldn't go that route on a game that WILL sell, but still, I'd see a tournament or something of that nature as needed. You need to bring in those people who don't see a reason for buying it at your store over the other established stores in the area, even, imo, if it means taking a $30 hit on the sale of a game (read below). Depending on your further plans of the opening and such, I will buy the game at your store (to help you out a little bit, plus you seem like a cool enough guy to run a store that I would like to shop at), but the casual people who will buy it just to have it will just go to major retailers and pick it up. Get the people into your store to see what its all about and everything you have to offer.

Maybe do a midnight release party with a $5 entry fee tournament for other popular games (Halo 3 will be out at that time, Guitar Hero II, or even XBLA or VC tournaments for an even more casual crowd). Buy pizza or something like Gamestop/eb did with Madden to get people to come in with that $5 entry fee. Winner gets half off of GTA IV or some store credit to his name/card, or maybe a free 1600 point card for those who preordered on 360 to use with the download content the 360 will have. Even better from your point of view would be a free used game priced $20 or less. Just something to bring in the people to your store as opposed to others, if you have plans to open by then.

All of that would make the casual, pick it up when they can crowd reconsider if they saw/heard about your promotion by word of mouth.

Again, you may know that this won't work as you have more experience in that business world then I do. Just something I think of when I'm bored at night.

Even if you can't get it open by the time GTA hits, just plan ahead for a good promotion to use for Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season. And if you can't get it open by then, just keep planning ahead for a promotion with the next big game, probably MGS4.

I liked the idea I read in the first few pages that another store manager posted. If a kid has a report card with a 3.0 GPA, he gets 10% off the game or trade in credit. See if you can use something like this with your store and play to that mom crowd as much as you can.

Didn't know that shopping center was connected to gamestop, seemed far enough away. I'm guessing it's connected by a road somewhere near that brightly lit (VERY brightly light) Hollywood videos?

Also, there are designated places in both DelTech and the University of Delaware where you can hang fliers for free about your store. You can put them on tables all over campus. Try to see if you can get a plan for that, I'd help out with placing them. Gaining some exposure to the 20,000 UD students and however many DelTech has (somewhere around 15,000 I believe) couldn't hurt, get a few people here and there to see it.

I didn't realize that Middletown store was the one you were referring to a few posts back. Do you plan to do what they did with the "soft opening?" Is that standard practice?

You may or may not know the answer to my last question. Is gametrailers.com connected in any way to eb/gamestop? Always see that tv tuned in to gametrailers when I head to eb once in a blue moon. Maybe you could do that somehow?

[quote name='bingbangboom']They just need people trading in software and to order more games. The guy is very nice and helpful about his store and how he started and giving tips. The one thing I did notice is because the store layout and just thinking about the future, gamestop has about double the software but they also have a different layout. Thats why I might need a more space for the variety unless I can think of something else to store more games.[/quote]

Have you thought about keeping new and used games together? A local chain near me does this, and i found it surprisingly convenient.

It'd be kind of cool to have the game playing on a decent TV on release day. Sort of brings me back to the days of DieHard Game Club and their big screen TV. Something cool came out, you rushed over there to buy it, and you could either watch someone playing it right there or maybe even try it yourself. It was just a cool release environment.

I would suggest t-shirts over games as prizes. Why? T-shirts are incredibly cheap to have made. Everyone loves a free t-shirt. Since they are cheaper, you could afford to give them away more often. Lastly, they basically turn your customers into walking billboards. Anything you can do to get customers to help you get the word out is a good idea. For example, some offices list their top referrers for the month, and in turn give those people something in return. Set up something where customers get a 10% off coupon for every customer they refer that comes in and buys something. You'd have to have coupons or something they could give out to friends, or if you have your membership program then you could look up the name in the computer. Regardless, this gives incentive for people to bring their friends in. It probably sounds like a lot to manage, but at least initially you're going to be so desperate for customers you'll be happy to manage it.

No but I will check out that forum.

The soft opening is something that many retail stores do. They don't advertise the soft opening and really it is supposed to get the store set up. Learning the POS system, training and other store functions. So yeah, prob will have a soft opening but might not be that long and it depends the time of year.

Actually I saw that the Middletown store had a plain sign announcing NCAA Football's release date. I made one for them advertising Nascar 2008 and the fact that you can try it in store. So stuff like that will help. Again, word of mouth will help alot.

The franchise does have shirts made up for Guitar Hero & Smash Bros. tournaments. I can design some myself but if it does have the logo, i need to get it approved. Having characters on them will be a no-go because you would have to license it.

I don't know what sort of deal that Gametrailers.com have with EB/Gamestop. I know they have their own instore videos and they always seem to rotate in which format they are played or by who.

I honestly don't know right now if I will be opened for those BIG name titles, finding a location is taking longer than I expected. There might be a possiblity that we might wait to see if there is a new plaza opening somewhere. Here are a few things I am looking for as far as location...

- Supermarket Plaza
- Neighboring stores that will benefit from: no law offices or things like that. Pizza shop is a plus.
- Near a school, prefer possibly a High School.
- Nice area, plaza that is not run down.

FYI, EBGS lets you place your trade credit on your EDGE card.

I think the biggest factors for your store will be it's appearance, your pricing structure and getting the word out there (aka advertising). If you can manage all three successfully your store will be a huge hit.

First thing you'll want to do is rangle in a tornament scene. Hold Smash Bros Melee, Madden, Street Fighter, Tony Hawk, Tekken tornaments and heavily promote them. This will get the hardcore group to visit your store AND is a decent money generator.

From what I understand, you can't really afford to sell new games below the MSRP, and that *will* hurt you. So I wouldn't focus too hard on having every release out on shelves. You should stick will ordering the really big games that sell well, but order a limited supply of the niche titles as well. Keeping a selection of the harder to find titles will give a big edge over the bigger chains in the eyes of the more fanatical gamers.

Last but not least, get the word out there. Whether or not this means paying for ads in the local phonebook, on local TV, billboards or whatever, just get the word out there.

On a completely unrelated note; I might end up taking over a Comic / Card Shop that I frequent and was thinking about the same topics. Everything I relayed to you I plan on incorporating into my own shop, if I decide to take it over.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']FYI, EBGS lets you place your trade credit on your EDGE card.

I think the biggest factors for your store will be it's appearance, your pricing structure and getting the word out there (aka advertising). If you can manage all three successfully your store will be a huge hit.

First thing you'll want to do is rangle in a tornament scene. Hold Smash Bros Melee, Madden, Street Fighter, Tony Hawk, Tekken tornaments and heavily promote them. This will get the hardcore group to visit your store AND is a decent money generator.

From what I understand, you can't really afford to sell new games below the MSRP, and that *will* hurt you. So I wouldn't focus too hard on having every release out on shelves. You should stick will ordering the really big games that sell well, but order a limited supply of the niche titles as well. Keeping a selection of the harder to find titles will give a big edge over the bigger chains in the eyes of the more fanatical gamers.

Last but not least, get the word out there. Whether or not this means paying for ads in the local phonebook, on local TV, billboards or whatever, just get the word out there.

On a completely unrelated note; I might end up taking over a Comic / Card Shop that I frequent and was thinking about the same topics. Everything I relayed to you I plan on incorporating into my own shop, if I decide to take it over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would love to run a comic book store but I just don't see the upside to it. I honestly don't know how much money they generate and it seems the market is on a decline as everyone expects trades and digital comics to be the future. I would like a very good chain comic book store but it just seems most are the same old thing

They just don't look new and modern. Really comic fans just expect too little, they just want their books and sometimes a good conversation which is nice but when you want to attract new customers that are not already into comics it doesn't help.

[quote name='bingbangboom']No but I will check out that forum.

The soft opening is something that many retail stores do. They don't advertise the soft opening and really it is supposed to get the store set up. Learning the POS system, training and other store functions. So yeah, prob will have a soft opening but might not be that long and it depends the time of year.

Actually I saw that the Middletown store had a plain sign announcing NCAA Football's release date. I made one for them advertising Nascar 2008 and the fact that you can try it in store. So stuff like that will help. Again, word of mouth will help alot.

The franchise does have shirts made up for Guitar Hero & Smash Bros. tournaments. I can design some myself but if it does have the logo, i need to get it approved. Having characters on them will be a no-go because you would have to license it.

I don't know what sort of deal that Gametrailers.com have with EB/Gamestop. I know they have their own instore videos and they always seem to rotate in which format they are played or by who.

I honestly don't know right now if I will be opened for those BIG name titles, finding a location is taking longer than I expected. There might be a possiblity that we might wait to see if there is a new plaza opening somewhere. Here are a few things I am looking for as far as location...

- Supermarket Plaza
- Neighboring stores that will benefit from: no law offices or things like that. Pizza shop is a plus.
- Near a school, prefer possibly a High School.
- Nice area, plaza that is not run down.[/QUOTE]

The only plaza that I'm pretty certain would have a spot up for rent that has a supermarket is Chestnut Hill Plaza which I believe is near Brookside. They have a ShopRite and Staples anchoring it and lots of other little things, I'm not sure if a BlockBuster would be competition with you or not (hell, not sure if it's still there). I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know how it looks these days. Don't particularly know if it is very close to a school, it could be. It is near Vince's Sports so you could play off of that I guess. And I'm not sure that they don't have any law offices in the area.
You've probably checked it out though or at least have gotten advice for that area.

I'd probably do what you are, wait for a new plaza. New Castle County is growing steadily last I checked, there's bound to be a new plaza struck soon.

I just got back from Wildwood/Cape May for the day, and I've been noticing how much location plays a part in these stores. I went in a shop that had video games (forget the name, some Mom N' Pop store. I think it was just plain called The Game Store). That really isn't a prime location (a beach/family area) for a video game store, especially one buried in with all the other more attractive beach stores.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yeah I would love to run a comic book store but I just don't see the upside to it. I honestly don't know how much money they generate and it seems the market is on a decline as everyone expects trades and digital comics to be the future. I would like a very good chain comic book store but it just seems most are the same old thing

They just don't look new and modern. Really comic fans just expect too little, they just want their books and sometimes a good conversation which is nice but when you want to attract new customers that are not already into comics it doesn't help.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking and doesn't help that it's pretty run down. :lol:

However, it's not really a comic shop per se, but rather a comic / card shop that leans more towards the card side. Trading Card Games are pretty hot at the moment, what with Yu-Gi-Oh!, Naruto and even Magic The Gathering are all big sellers currently.

I was actually thinking about the possibility of a pseudo Comic / Card / Video Game shop.

[quote name='Flyersfan']The only plaza that I'm pretty certain would have a spot up for rent that has a supermarket is Chestnut Hill Plaza which I believe is near Brookside. They have a ShopRite and Staples anchoring it and lots of other little things, I'm not sure if a BlockBuster would be competition with you or not (hell, not sure if it's still there). I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know how it looks these days. Don't particularly know if it is very close to a school, it could be. It is near Vince's Sports so you could play off of that I guess. And I'm not sure that they don't have any law offices in the area.
You've probably checked it out though or at least have gotten advice for that area.

I'd probably do what you are, wait for a new plaza. New Castle County is growing steadily last I checked, there's bound to be a new plaza struck soon.

I just got back from Wildwood/Cape May for the day, and I've been noticing how much location plays a part in these stores. I went in a shop that had video games (forget the name, some Mom N' Pop store. I think it was just plain called The Game Store). That really isn't a prime location (a beach/family area) for a video game store, especially one buried in with all the other more attractive beach stores.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what shoping center you are refering to. I know that Blockbuster has a exclusivity agreement with most landlords to prevent a store like mine from opening in the same shopping center. That is why I am having a problem even though Blockbuster is not what it used to be. What other things are near it?

[quote name='bingbangboom']Not sure what shoping center you are refering to. I know that Blockbuster has a exclusivity agreement with most landlords to prevent a store like mine from opening in the same shopping center. That is why I am having a problem even though Blockbuster is not what it used to be. What other things are near it?[/QUOTE]

You caught me just before I was going out because it's so nice out there. Going for a jog.

Blockbuster isn't there, I just checked with their store locator. I was thinking of another center.

Staples, Shoprite, Taco Bell, Eckerds Drugs, T- Mobile, a Chinese restuarant come to mind. I think they do have a bank in the center, Citizens Bank. It's not a Huge shopping center on par with say, Gov. Square, so that may be a factor. It is on Route 4, it's actually not that far away from UD's campus but far enough away that there won't be a drastic fall come summer months.

Chestnut Hill isn't far away from the shopping center I was talking about earlier, the one with Chic-Fil-A. You said you lived near it. You can either take Walther Road down to Old Baltimore Pike, then Salem Church Road and you are basically there. Or you can take 896 down to it from 40

I believe one or two of those store buildings in between Staples and Shoprite is available for lease, at least it was a month or so ago. I'm not sure if the link to the map works right so let me know. Do you have an idea of how much sq. feet you'll need?

Give me a few hours to think about/talk to friends to see if they can recall any more stores in the area. I have a friend that works at the shoprite as a front end manager, Maybe I'll give him a call.

Edit*

The map didn't work, try going here:

http://maps.google.com/maps

and type in this:

Chestnut Hill Plaza Shoprite Delaware

Click on hybrid on the maps upper left hand corner and zoom in on B.

Edit #2

The store I thought was Blockbuster is a Hollywood Videos, which I believe is owned by Blockbuster. Damn.

May I suggest the new shopping center on Rt. 58/Churchman's Crossing, near the Christiana Hospital? There are some great new stores opening up, but I think that the lease price may be a bit more than usual for the area. Sure it is near the hospital, but it is in a great shopping center area and even within reach from the Christiana Mall and even I-95. The chain restaurants may seem to have the most attention over there, as well as the Borders and TRU up the road, but since it is a new shopping center, of course it will attract attention.

[quote name='Superstar7']May I suggest the new shopping center on Rt. 58/Churchman's Crossing, near the Christiana Hospital? There are some great new stores opening up, but I think that the lease price may be a bit more than usual for the area. Sure it is near the hospital, but it is in a great shopping center area and even within reach from the Christiana Mall and even I-95. The chain restaurants may seem to have the most attention over there, as well as the Borders and TRU up the road, but since it is a new shopping center, of course it will attract attention.[/QUOTE]

Whats in the center? Can you recall?

I can't believe I never noticed it. Probably have and just cannot remember the location.

Don't forget how close that would be to Delaware Park, and DelTech's Stanton campus too.

[quote name='Flyersfan']You caught me just before I was going out because it's so nice out there. Going for a jog.

Blockbuster isn't there, I just checked with their store locator. I was thinking of another center.

Staples, Shoprite, Taco Bell, Eckerds Drugs, T- Mobile, a Chinese restuarant come to mind. I think they do have a bank in the center, Citizens Bank. It's not a Huge shopping center on par with say, Gov. Square, so that may be a factor. It is on Route 4, it's actually not that far away from UD's campus but far enough away that there won't be a drastic fall come summer months.

Chestnut Hill isn't far away from the shopping center I was talking about earlier, the one with Chic-Fil-A. You said you lived near it. You can either take Walther Road down to Old Baltimore Pike, then Salem Church Road and you are basically there. Or you can take 896 down to it from 40

I believe one or two of those store buildings in between Staples and Shoprite is available for lease, at least it was a month or so ago. I'm not sure if the link to the map works right so let me know. Do you have an idea of how much sq. feet you'll need?

Give me a few hours to think about/talk to friends to see if they can recall any more stores in the area. I have a friend that works at the shoprite as a front end manager, Maybe I'll give him a call.

Edit*

The map didn't work, try going here:

http://maps.google.com/maps

and type in this:

Chestnut Hill Plaza Shoprite Delaware

Click on hybrid on the maps upper left hand corner and zoom in on B.

Edit #2

The store I thought was Blockbuster is a Hollywood Videos, which I believe is owned by Blockbuster. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did check that area out... something about it just didn't seem that great and I am sure Hollywood Video has an exclusive agreement on that plaza.

[quote name='Superstar7']May I suggest the new shopping center on Rt. 58/Churchman's Crossing, near the Christiana Hospital? There are some great new stores opening up, but I think that the lease price may be a bit more than usual for the area. Sure it is near the hospital, but it is in a great shopping center area and even within reach from the Christiana Mall and even I-95. The chain restaurants may seem to have the most attention over there, as well as the Borders and TRU up the road, but since it is a new shopping center, of course it will attract attention.[/QUOTE]

Ignore my last post, I have been to that area before.

Another thing you could do would be to print out the top orders of the last week (or month if that's easier) that were purchased at your store. People always latch onto the popular things. Put it near the checkout register so customers can read it while waiting. Might get them to get another game or two. It wouldn't really be for the regular customers, more of the holiday/gift/young kids/parent crowd.

wow bingbangboom. that's a hot-looking store. if you have some attractive female employees that will help your business alot as well since both guys and girls are more likely to buy items if you have good employees

[quote name='WiiGame']wow bingbangboom. that's a hot-looking store. if you have some attractive female employees that will help your business alot as well since both guys and girls are more likely to buy items if you have good employees[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand how shallow we as gamers have become because so many want me to hire tits to sell them videogames. They are not going to fuck YOU! Get over it, get porn.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't really understand how shallow we as gamers have become because so many want me to hire tits to sell them videogames. They are not going to fuck YOU! Get over it, get porn.[/QUOTE]

As sad as it is, for some people, just plain talking to a girl would be the highlight of their day/week/month.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't really understand how shallow we as gamers have become because so many want me to hire tits to sell them videogames. They are not going to fuck YOU! Get over it, get porn.[/QUOTE]
I'd much rather deal with attractive people than less-attractive people.

Of course, knowledge, friendliness, and helpfulness are more important factors, but attractiveness, hygene, etc are factors too. Perhaps regretably so.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I'd much rather deal with attractive people than less-attractive people.

Of course, knowledge, friendliness, and helpfulness are more important factors, but attractiveness, hygene, etc are factors too. Perhaps regretably so.[/quote]

Same for me. Most the time I got to my local GS/EB, the employees look like they havent taken a shower in a week. Pretty disgusting.

I'm not going to hire a shit monster. Infact I was considering a pretty strict dress code but I am not too sure. They do have officail polo shirts, but I might just go with regular ones with a name badge.

BTW, im off to training in Cali for a few days. Hopefully that will really get the process started and I really hope to work hard myself and nail down a location in the next month, that is my goal.

Thanks, just got back and learned a few things. There is a high possibility that I will not open my store before 2008. There are a few reasons why this is the case...

- Finding a location is still at 0%
- Finding the right and best location is the key.
- If I am opening right at the holiday season, there will be a number of factors.
-- What time in the holiday season would we open.
-- Ordering product will be almost doubled and will not fit into the business plan I currently have.
-- Staff will not be fully trained up to standard and it might actually be too overwhelming for them.

So, we will wait and see right now, just have to be patient with the process.

Is the holiday season for store business owners (un)officially over on December 25th, or does it extend a few days past that?

I've always wondered that.

Do you also have to contact reps from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo for them to stop in your store? I've read about that on here a few times about reps coming into a place someone was working to make sure the display stands and games in their system were up to date. How does that work if you don't mind sharing?

[quote name='Flyersfan']Is the holiday season for store business owners (un)officially over on December 25th, or does it extend a few days past that?

I've always wondered that.

Do you also have to contact reps from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo for them to stop in your store? I've read about that on here a few times about reps coming into a place someone was working to make sure the display stands and games in their system were up to date. How does that work if you don't mind sharing?[/QUOTE]

The holiday season doesn't really end till around the week of New Years. Basically this is because people returning stuff they don't want. Also alot of people get gift cards that they want to use. I figure that the used game business extends through the whole month of January. This is mainly because people get more games aka more games to trade in.

Currently there are no contracts signed with the big three. There are plans to work with them down the road in different arrangements then you typically see. The main issue is that with these consoles that are at Gamestop, Toys R Us and Best Buy. They are provided by the manufacture and owned by them. This means that if Nintendo wants you to play Excite Bike... you are playing Excite Bike. If Microsoft wants you to play Fusion Frenzy 2, then well... your not playing that.

They want to control the content. This is also because that soemtimes they do have demos and want to push certain NEW games for the platform. Having an older game in there just doesn't help them as long as they figure. One problem that is happening is there are currently no stations for cradling the Nintendo DS or PSP. You could have just one each though and do what Gamestop does. Turn over your credit card or drivers license and you can hold on to the DS or whatever. Typically I would say both.

You do get marketing items through the vendor that provide you with games. Typically for the store design you don't want to put too much of these things up. If anything... a stationary picture saying Pre-Order whatever isn't as good as say possibly running the videogame trailer advertising the game in a slick way.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned yet or doesn't already have one a website would also be very helpful for customers. Being able to find out if a game is in stock before calling or going to the store is helpful, also being able to order games online is becoming, if not is, the main way games are purchased now.

[quote name='ighosty']I haven't read through the entire thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned yet or doesn't already have one a website would also be very helpful for customers. Being able to find out if a game is in stock before calling or going to the store is helpful, also being able to order games online is becoming, if not is, the main way games are purchased now.[/QUOTE]

I think he has asked if anyone knows a website designer before.

It would be a good idea, it's just hard to find someone who can create what you want. He could also put out an online newsletter to customers through the website, like what gamestop does, only not as "extravagant." Maybe a once a month newsletter to tell people what new games you have in stock at your store/new promotions/trade in prices. I don't know how hard to would be to start/update, however.

Yeah, the website is something I really want to do and will get done. Actually the PlayNtrade site does have the ability to check stock of any product inside the store. So I am sure I could just link to that feature. The thing is that I don't beleive it gives a price basically as incentive to come instore or call.

I can do a montly newsletter or even weekly. It is possible to record someone's email also. I might just offer it to 10-10-10 members as a bonus and send out coupons or special pricing on certain games.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't really understand how shallow we as gamers have become because so many want me to hire tits to sell them videogames. They are not going to fuck YOU! Get over it, get porn.[/quote]

Look at the popularity of booth babes at the old E3. Look at the appearance of every female on G4TV. Look at the appearance of basically every female character in video games. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the society we live in. Not sure that it'd make much of a difference in sales, but I'd put money on the fact that a large percentage of teenage guys would happen to spend more time looking around in the store if an attractive female was working.

bread's done
Back