Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

Hey another question, does anyone who works at a Gamestop know typically how much money they spend on ordering a year in products, I can adjust it month to month, just need that kinda figure.

After reading all of this thread and all the gripes about the various companies I have a couple of things to say.

-- Most of you all have been bitching about the fact that Gamestop has their "new release" used games for only $5.00 cheaper. Well last time I checked my Edge card that I purchased saves my 10% on all used games. So if the game is $59.99 new and $54.99 used I will only have to pay $49.49 for the game. So if my math skills are right I will save $10.50 on that game. Thus beating your guys argument in the ground.

-- The new games that are opened. Grow up people. Just because its been opened does not mean its been played. I have bought many games over the years that are opened because it was the stores last copy. And you know what its only new for that 5 seconds it takes you to pop it in your machine because after that its a used game. Thats a lot of money to waste on that five seconds. And the guys at my local store always show me the disc on the new games that are opened just to show me that its not used.

-- Customer Service. If I walk into a store and no one says anything to me that makes me feel like my business is unwanted at a store. People need to be greeted when they walk in. It makes them feel welcomed. And whenever I am shopping if I can walk into a store tell the employee what I am looking for and they get it for me immediately I call that a successful trip. Nothing worse than browsing when you have employees just talking and not helping out.

-- All of your ideas are great in theory for your store and I hope you do well but what kind of guarantees can you have for the new games coming out. From what I have heard about other lesser video game stores they have a hard time getting in games on launch day due to their small size. How can a lone ranger like yourself promise your customers the newest games on launch day. And have you even started talking to Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc about being able to land systems. Your last post about trying to figure out how much I think product Gamestop orders in a year just proves that you are in way over your head.

Yes I am an EB loyalist and will always be one but these issues need to be addressed for your store. You can call your store the "Anti EB and Gamestop" but you have to be able to beat the competition on a day in and day out basis and one store cant do that.

Video games are not a hobby anymore like most people think. Usually those are the people who hate the big box companies, i.e. Gamestop. Video Games are mainstream entertainment that generates billions a dollars a year now.

[quote name='THoward7382']
-- The new games that are opened. Grow up people. Just because its been opened does not mean its been played. I have bought many games over the years that are opened because it was the stores last copy. And you know what its only new for that 5 seconds it takes you to pop it in your machine because after that its a used game. Thats a lot of money to waste on that five seconds. And the guys at my local store always show me the disc on the new games that are opened just to show me that its not used. [/QUOTE]

Wrong.

It's a well known fact the gutted games are played and "rented out" to the employees to "try".

We have someone who got a "new" game that was clearly used, I got sold a "new but opened" GBA game that, when I took it home, had no manual or insert because I took the guys word that "it had everything it should come with if it was new" (I was in a rush too), and I've seen countless gutted copies have fucked up cases with tons of stickers, and scratched disc's.

If it was as simple as it having no shrinkwrap, it would be a lot simpler, but since I sell my games when I'm usually done with them, it sucks for me to be getting a new game where the case looks like someone played hockey with it and the manual has been flipped through 50 times.

Hell, they tried to sell me a "new" Wii Play where it looked like someone had literally stepped on the outside box.

[quote name='THoward7382']After reading all of this thread and all the gripes about the various companies I have a couple of things to say.

-- Most of you all have been bitching about the fact that Gamestop has their "new release" used games for only $5.00 cheaper. Well last time I checked my Edge card that I purchased saves my 10% on all used games. So if the game is $59.99 new and $54.99 used I will only have to pay $49.49 for the game. So if my math skills are right I will save $10.50 on that game. Thus beating your guys argument in the ground.

-- The new games that are opened. Grow up people. Just because its been opened does not mean its been played. I have bought many games over the years that are opened because it was the stores last copy. And you know what its only new for that 5 seconds it takes you to pop it in your machine because after that its a used game. Thats a lot of money to waste on that five seconds. And the guys at my local store always show me the disc on the new games that are opened just to show me that its not used.

-- Customer Service. If I walk into a store and no one says anything to me that makes me feel like my business is unwanted at a store. People need to be greeted when they walk in. It makes them feel welcomed. And whenever I am shopping if I can walk into a store tell the employee what I am looking for and they get it for me immediately I call that a successful trip. Nothing worse than browsing when you have employees just talking and not helping out.

-- All of your ideas are great in theory for your store and I hope you do well but what kind of guarantees can you have for the new games coming out. From what I have heard about other lesser video game stores they have a hard time getting in games on launch day due to their small size. How can a lone ranger like yourself promise your customers the newest games on launch day. And have you even started talking to Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc about being able to land systems. Your last post about trying to figure out how much I think product Gamestop orders in a year just proves that you are in way over your head.

Yes I am an EB loyalist and will always be one but these issues need to be addressed for your store. You can call your store the "Anti EB and Gamestop" but you have to be able to beat the competition on a day in and day out basis and one store cant do that.

Video games are not a hobby anymore like most people think. Usually those are the people who hate the big box companies, i.e. Gamestop. Video Games are mainstream entertainment that generates billions a dollars a year now.[/QUOTE]

Its not so much of being a "anti Gamestop or EB Store" but being a gamers store. THere is alot of emotion toward those kind of stores from alot of games. As much as they do well, there are things they don't do well. You must really understand the industry and your compeitors if you go into making your own store. It is the compitition, so any edge you can offer you will take to get a loyalty based. Again, my experience of EB and Gamestop has been completly wonderful to downright horrible. I had one time where they gave me a game for free... and then other cases where I am just a ghost while two associates talk about pizza.

Again, I have talked to a manager and it really depends on the DM. One said they can do anything they want basically as long as they have their numbers. I do understand setting goals and reaching them. They are not customer focused and not gamer focused. Until you really have a different experience in a retail establishment, any of them... I don't just mean the previous mentioned but I mean everything from Wal-mart to Best Buy, it is really hard to imagine something better.

There is no reason you can't shop at EB and my store at all.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Have you put any thought into advertising yet?

It may be early to think about that, I don't know. Just wondering.[/quote]

I saw a playntrade ad on this website.

Yes, it would be local advertising. There is another Play N Trade store that is opening up in the area so I would try to work with the, as far as splitting cost and not double advertising. Radio ads, tv spots, newspaper ads, that kind of thing.

I didn't read the whole thread so perhaps this has been mentioned before.

One gripe I have with EB/GS is that they put the same price on a game that is missing the manual / case & the disk is scratched as a game that includes everything and the disk is in perfect condition.

There really should be 2 price levels for both buying & trading based on how complete / damaged the game is.

I personally will not buy a used game if it does not include the original case and manual.

Second, I find myself more and more going to EG/GS because of my investment in the Edge card. I paid for the discount, so I feel that I'm obliged to bring my business there for the discount. The fee can be nominal, and it's a good hook.

Just read the entire thread, lots of really good ideas here. And it sounds like you've thought things up pretty thoroughly which is important. A lot of small businesses fail and I think a lack of planning and research are the cause of that.

It's already been beaten to death, but competitive prices are the key. I think the five most important things to consumers are price, price, price, selection, and customer service. Look at Wal-Mart, no one shops there because of the great customer service or wonderful atmosphere, they shop there because it's cheap. People may bitch and complain about poor customer service, but the majority still speak more loudly with their wallets that price is all they really care about.

On the flip side, I'd take a close look into the economics of things. It's easy to look at it and think that selling a used game for $40 instead of $45 and buying for $25 instead of $20 still leaves plenty of profit, but I'm not sure how much room there really is there to be more price friendly before it becomes hard to make money once you figure in rent, utilites, employee pay, etc. As consumers I think we tend to think there's more money to be made because all we see is the price a store will buy a game for and what they sell it for and don't really take into account how many expenses there are. I'm sure it's possible to be profitable selling for less than Gamestop does and buying for more, but at what point does it start to cause you to lose money?

The one thing I'd recommend, if you haven't already, is to get into contact with another owner using the same franchise. I'd imagine they could give you good information about what has worked and what hasn't. The opinions here are mainly that of the hardcore gamer, which represents a rather small percentage of the market. Maybe import games, while they sound great to the people here, in reality aren't worth the cost and shelf space. I have no idea, it seems like a good idea to me, but I really wouldn't know if it'd be profitable or not. I think they'd also be the best resource for the questions you've had about ordering products and so on. I would think a bank would be impressed if part of your plan included "here's the typical expenses, revenues, and so on for a store of the same franchise operating in a similar market."

Last thought on marketing, and the franchising company or other frachisees (if that's a word) would probably again be the best resource, but I would think you'd want to make sure to differentiate from EB/Gamestop, etc. That sounds really obvious, but my first thought seeing that it's a major company and the picture of the store is that it's a typical corporate Gamestop clone with high prices and poor service.

[quote name='THoward7382']
Yes I am an EB loyalist and will always be one
[/quote]

So you're loyal to a company? Wow, that's just............wow !!
You'll get lots of respect on this forum I'm sure :roll:

To the dude opening the game store, just give people more for their second hand stuff than EB Games and sell the pre-owned stuff a bit cheaper. Sure your profit margins won't be as big but lots of people will trade and buy from you.

I couldn't be bothered reading the rest of this thread but I'd be amazed if someone hadn't already suggested that.

Worked well for a store in the UK called Gamestation, until they got bought out by Game (the UK version of EB/GS) :cry:

Pricing is an issue but it is not a main issue because other companies can lower prices on their software. You really want to make it something special other than pricing. I know as CHEAP ass gamers we all want the best deal, but sometimes that may mean more than just saving a few bucks but rather enjoying your shopping experience.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Hey another question, does anyone who works at a Gamestop know typically how much money they spend on ordering a year in products, I can adjust it month to month, just need that kinda figure.[/quote]

I am also in the process of looking at investing in a PnT franchise just up 95 into Phila. I have a Wharton MBA and my partner is a reformed EB DM so we have a bunch of numbers to share. We're also looking at the area development franchise. Have you already purchased your franchise and do you have an area developer in Delaware?

Have you reviewed the Gamestop 10k? They are a public company and additionally disclose their revenue and gross product by category (HW, SW, used SW and Acc/other) You can model your revenue and gross profit on a per category basis. The average GS store sells $ 1.1 million of stuff per year. EB disclosed one year that the average mall stores has 1.3 million average sales and the average strip store has almost 900k. I would expect first year sales to be lower. The newer stores are in super and strip malls and actually sell less but have higher gross margins than the mall stores. This is because they sell more used stuff. I think the UFOC says you should expect to start with 20-35k in inventory but the Gamestop 10K says they start with about 60K in inventory.

The 5 year average sales distribution for GS/EB is roughly 15% HW, 40% New SW, 25% used SW and 20% Acc/Other. I'd use these sales percentages if I were you.

No I am sorry, currently it is just retail establishment only. It is possible that down the road this could happen, I really don't know. Online ordering does present certain obstacles such as shipping.

I PMed this message to the OP, but thought it should be shared with others. Maybe (although it's highly unlikely) a Gamestop or EB Games manager will read it. I doubt they even play video games.

1. You need to offer something that people can't find anywhere else. Devote a section of your store to obsolete games. A very cost-effective way of doing this is to post a large sign in your shop with a list of all your obsolete gaming merchandise. This is the stuff that will rarely come in and consequently is less commonly bought and sold. Stash all of this in the storeroom, but make sure your customers are well-aware that it exist. Accept (to a limit in terms of volume) anything that people bring in simply for the sake of being able to say you carry games that can't be found anywhere else. This may not generate a lot of money, but it will make your store different than any other. Did you know Gamestop no longer even carries PS1 or N64 games? What makes Gamestop any different than Best Buy other than the fact you can pick up Grand Theft Auto 3 for five bucks? I'd rather go to a shopping center with a Best Buy and Circuit City together (and they are everywhere!)

2. Hire people who have a passion for video games. How many times have I walked into a Gamestop where the 21 year-old girl who works beind the desk has never played a PS1 game or even heard of a Dreamcast? Young nerdy guys -no offense- with a passion for video games are a dime a dozen (and they literally cost about that)

3. Make an effort to CLEAN YOUR MERCHANDISE!!!!! I walk in Gamestops and EB Games all the time while the employees are simply goofing off while half the store merchandise is covered in old glue (buy some Goo-Gone and keep it in your shop at all times) and the controllers are coated in grime. How attractive do you think a game controller with dirt caked into all the creavices is to me? What do you think I do with them as soon as I get home? I spent ten minutes cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and Goo-Gone! Should I really have to do this while your employees spend half their time just goofing off on the clock?

4. Tell your employees to be honest. Gamestop frowns down on their employees admitting that a game is less than steller. It is a widely accepted fact that some games are better than others. It's not your fault X-Squad sucks! Besides, how can I establish a relationship with your employees knowing they will lie to me?

5. Find innovative ways to promote video game education. Not that it has any real value to the community, but it's always fun to learn something new.

6. Listen to your customers. Address thier complaints and give them what they want. Pay attention to what sells on Ebay (and consequently what is in demand). Never ignore a customer's complaints.

[quote name='steve_k']I PMed this message to the OP, but thought it should be shared with others. Maybe (although it's highly unlikely) a Gamestop or EB Games manager will read it. I doubt they even play video games.

1. You need to offer something that people can't find anywhere else. Devote a section of your store to obsolete games. A very cost-effective way of doing this is to post a large sign in your shop with a list of all your obsolete gaming merchandise. This is the stuff that will rarely come in and consequently is less commonly bought and sold. Stash all of this in the storeroom, but make sure your customers are well-aware that it exist. Accept (to a limit in terms of volume) anything that people bring in simply for the sake of being able to say you carry games that can't be found anywhere else. This may not generate a lot of money, but it will make your store different than any other. Did you know Gamestop no longer even carries PS1 or N64 games? What makes Gamestop any different than Best Buy other than the fact you can pick up Grand Theft Auto 3 for five bucks? I'd rather go to a shopping center with a Best Buy and Circuit City together (and they are everywhere!)

2. Hire people who have a passion for video games. How many times have I walked into a Gamestop where the 21 year-old girl who works beind the desk has never played a PS1 game or even heard of a Dreamcast? Young nerdy guys -no offense- with a passion for video games are a dime a dozen (and they literally cost about that)

3. Make an effort to CLEAN YOUR MERCHANDISE!!!!! I walk in Gamestops and EB Games all the time while the employees are simply goofing off while half the store merchandise is covered in old glue (buy some Goo-Gone and keep it in your shop at all times) and the controllers are coated in grime. How attractive do you think a game controller with dirt caked into all the creavices is to me? What do you think I do with them as soon as I get home? I spent ten minutes cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and Goo-Gone! Should I really have to do this while your employees spend half their time just goofing off on the clock?

4. Tell your employees to be honest. Gamestop frowns down on their employees admitting that a game is less than steller. It is a widely accepted fact that some games are better than others. It's not your fault X-Squad sucks! Besides, how can I establish a relationship with your employees knowing they will lie to me?

5. Find innovative ways to promote video game education. Not that it has any real value to the community, but it's always fun to learn something new.

6. Listen to your customers. Address thier complaints and give them what they want. Pay attention to what sells on Ebay (and consequently what is in demand). Never ignore a customer's complaints.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments. Especially the cleaning on, I have never worked in a brand new store ever so I know how it can fall apart over time. But alot of great ideas and such.

Goodluck dude in your business. I was a part owner of store like this when the PS1 and Saturn were around.

You need a knowledgeable staff. I agree with the above message. I mean I dont want to hear from a 300lb guy telling me how much Gundam game kick ass, and I dont want to see cute piece of ass 21yr girl who got hired because of chest say she doesnt know what i'm taking about when I am looking for a Dreamcast game.

The typical stereotype gamer I described above can NOT work with the public. And sure the sweater muffin girl might bring in the gawkers, but not sell your products and your knowledgeable ones will hate them both.

Also agree with cleaning. At no time should people just be playing games for hours. Sure every once and awhile, but pieces of paper, grime, and fingerprints on screens are a big no no.

First off, if you are going to have kiosks limit the time frame. You will quickly have people (ok kids) just coming in looking around faking they want ot buy things and they no intrest in buying or even any money. They just stand there at the kiosk playing and puts your actual customers at risk of not being able to try before they buy, or honestly hate kids if they are adults.

Speaking of kiosks...have one for EVERY system you sell games for if possible. I mean an NES, SNES, GENESIS, etc. Let people try out a used game before they buy it. There might be a fear of losing a sale if a somone plays a Milon's Secret Castle for the NES and it's horrible, but if he plays an RC Pro-Am and finds out it's a cool game and buys it there ya go.
"Hey this is kinda fun...I'll take it". Having a kiosk for NeoGeo for instance is not needed, even if sell the games, etc people looking or buying that stuff know what they want and are getting. And the fact you will have a NeoGeo taking up a kiosk space, stupid.

Price your used games slighty above what you would take the game in for credit. We even kept the credit prices up to the management. I was the go to person for associates. They come to me with what to offer. Or you could have a assistant or asociate who you trust, knows games and knows what a game is worth, and how to price it accordingly. That's how we ran the used side. I mean if someone walked in with a good game for SNES we would give them $30 for a Secret of Mana for instance, then in turn sell it for $45 or $50 if it had the box & instructions. Knocking off a few bucks for no box & instructions is a OK thing to do. I mean current consoles are DVD/CD system.
Handhelds, do what you wish.

Madden - refuse to even take them. Trust me, any older sports game just dont even waste your space. Everyone just gave them to us and we gave them for free with a system purchase.

Don't start importing things. We did a few times for the Japanese Saturn version of X-Men vs Street Fighter. That was the biggest game NEVER to come out int he US. It was the only version to have the tag team gameplay intact. The memory cartridge/game action replay trick worked most of the time though. Anyway, it's not likw that anymore so stay away and save your trouble.

I'll think of more stuff, but there ya go.

Hey just wanted to give you an update. We are ready to take our business plan to a lender so that is pretty good. Hopefully that process won't take too long. Thanks for all your comments and the support.

Please at least take the advice on cleaning, it takes me HOURS to clean out controllers at home, hint, if you clean them in a large batch it takes less time, just make sure that if your taking them apart and washing them like I do that you know which buttons and parts go with which controller. For example you could clean a batch of 10 genesis controllers but just make sure its the same kind of controller so you don't have to worry about mixing up the buttons and other parts. You wouldn't want to clean a pile of interact genesis controllers mixed with first party genesis controllers as that would be a hassle to put back together. The buttons for each controller only go into their respective slots on the controller so its pretty idiot proof.

Its much faster to wash all the parts in a sink then let them dry as opposed to other methods of cleaning, again if you do a huge batch of controllers it will save you time in the long run, its ok if its still a little wet before you put them back together. But this is the only way to really get them clean and get all the grime off the inside and outside. Be careful not to lose the screws.

I realize this is a bit more meticulous than you probably intend to get but its what I do with all my controllers as soon as they come into the house, but its definitely necessary to at least wipe off the grime so its not visibly there. Storing each controller in a ziplock bag can prevent dust from further building up on it.

Have parts on hand, lots of parts, such as 72 pin connectors for the NES, plastic screen lenses for the gba, extra gba battery covers etc, you will need to refurbish systems that come in or else customers will not buy them, no one wants a gba with a scratched screen, instead dock the guy trading in the scratched up gba a parts fee, if its in good saleable condition they get more trade in value.

I didn't read the entire thread, cause I'm lazy. However, I used to own a traditional games store, so I'll give what advice I can.

1. Build A Community.

First off, it establishes a great base of people who have loyalty. These people wont be the greatest source of profit, but you can count on these guys to keep you afloat if shit goes bad. Have tournaments regularly, I would suggest weekly. You really want to have a great group of guys who show up regularly. They'll typically end up helping people, demoing games, etc, just because they love the place. They're also a great resource of personnel if you need workers.

2. Have games being played *constantly* That You Sell .

This is the main reason my store failed. We put in some computers, because the core group was into Everquest at the time. They stopped playing what we stocked and played EQ all day long, making the store feel dead.

Keep interactives up with full games that you have in stock. If you have 3 guys hanging out and playing VF5 all day, this is not a bad thing. People will see how much fun they are having and want to join in, making the sale a lot easier. Instead of being told how cool Eileen is, they'll look over and see a guy playing Eileen just destroy a Sarah Bryant player. Make sure that your community knows that if someone wants to join, you let them. Don't ever let the community become exclusive.

And make sure you can sell that game. Nothing sucks more than getting hyped up and then not being able to get it. If you don't sell Magic: The Gathering cards, don't ever let anyone play in the store.

3. Make a friendly atmosphere.

This ties into the first two. You want a store that people feel comfortable in, and are having fun. Don't get angry if someone comes in and doesn't buy anything. Make them feel comfortable, so they'll want to come back when that hot new game comes out. I like the look of the store, it's nice and bright, but still has a slight edgy feel to it. Since you're franchise, I don't know just how far you can push this, but do what you can. If you have the opportunity to put up some giant screens and a few chairs for people to play, do it.

4. KEEP THE STORE CLEAN.

Nothing throws away customers like a disgusting store. If your carpet is nasty, clean it. If something stinks, Febreeze that shit right quick. If someone from the community requires a shower, throw them out and do not let them back in until they're clean. (They'll typically be a little angry, but they'll come back. All their friends are there.)

Near the end of my store, one of my partners had lost his home and was living in the store. It smelled absolutely nasty. There was a marked downturn in new customers and sales. ALWAYS KEEP THE STORE CLEAN.

I really don't know how much freedom you have, but for a smaller chain or a mom-n-pop style store, the community is key.

Good luck man, and don't get discouraged.

[quote name='Logain8955']I didn't read the entire thread, cause I'm lazy. However, I used to own a traditional games store, so I'll give what advice I can.

1. Build A Community.

First off, it establishes a great base of people who have loyalty. These people wont be the greatest source of profit, but you can count on these guys to keep you afloat if shit goes bad. Have tournaments regularly, I would suggest weekly. You really want to have a great group of guys who show up regularly. They'll typically end up helping people, demoing games, etc, just because they love the place. They're also a great resource of personnel if you need workers.

2. Have games being played *constantly* That You Sell .

This is the main reason my store failed. We put in some computers, because the core group was into Everquest at the time. They stopped playing what we stocked and played EQ all day long, making the store feel dead.

Keep interactives up with full games that you have in stock. If you have 3 guys hanging out and playing VF5 all day, this is not a bad thing. People will see how much fun they are having and want to join in, making the sale a lot easier. Instead of being told how cool Eileen is, they'll look over and see a guy playing Eileen just destroy a Sarah Bryant player. Make sure that your community knows that if someone wants to join, you let them. Don't ever let the community become exclusive.

And make sure you can sell that game. Nothing sucks more than getting hyped up and then not being able to get it. If you don't sell Magic: The Gathering cards, don't ever let anyone play in the store.

3. Make a friendly atmosphere.

This ties into the first two. You want a store that people feel comfortable in, and are having fun. Don't get angry if someone comes in and doesn't buy anything. Make them feel comfortable, so they'll want to come back when that hot new game comes out. I like the look of the store, it's nice and bright, but still has a slight edgy feel to it. Since you're franchise, I don't know just how far you can push this, but do what you can. If you have the opportunity to put up some giant screens and a few chairs for people to play, do it.

4. KEEP THE STORE CLEAN.

Nothing throws away customers like a disgusting store. If your carpet is nasty, clean it. If something stinks, Febreeze that shit right quick. If someone from the community requires a shower, throw them out and do not let them back in until they're clean. (They'll typically be a little angry, but they'll come back. All their friends are there.)

Near the end of my store, one of my partners had lost his home and was living in the store. It smelled absolutely nasty. There was a marked downturn in new customers and sales. ALWAYS KEEP THE STORE CLEAN.

I really don't know how much freedom you have, but for a smaller chain or a mom-n-pop style store, the community is key.

Good luck man, and don't get discouraged.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments. Does anyone know typically how many customers make purchases a month at a videogame store. I could only find an Average Order Value for websites selling videogames and that was $141.

Some positive news, I got approved for my loan and now have a franchise. Thanks for all of your comments and I will be sure to use them in the future. Will keep you guys updated.

Something that I'm sure has been mentioned is that you should make sure your employees aren't bags of douche. Make sure that they're knowledgable in what they're selling, and that they're generally pleasant to be around.

Not going to read the whole thing so maybe this has been mentioned, but nothing turns me away from a store quicker than seeing tip top EBAY prices on everything.

There is a reason that ebay gets top notch prices, it is a world market. Local video game stores are NOT a world market. Price accordingly.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Some positive news, I got approved for my loan and now have a franchise. Thanks for all of your comments and I will be sure to use them in the future. Will keep you guys updated.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!

Now you need to upload some pics of the store :D

Well the store is not opened yet. I just got a credit approval, hopefully by the end of the year. I did go to a new store that just opened up in the area and was sort of disappointed. It was their first day and I was actually their first sale. It might have been their soft opening which means their grand opening could be in a few weeks, so these issues could be corrected.

- Lack of total product: I have more software in my house then they did in the store. That gave off a very bad first impression of not having the ability to fully stock the shelves. Software orders needed to be tripled. This also effected Used games as they only had 5 360 games.

- Weird choice of games for units: You would think that popping in the most popular, newest or best selling games for each console would have been a given... Wii had Happy Feet, Xbox had Superman Returns, PS2 had Prince of Persia 3, 360 had FEAR. I could have asked to play any game of their limited selection, but you figure you would want to show off some of the better games. Not penguins. The Superman game was only $8 new... so what is the point in showcasing that?

- Third Party controllers for displays: The PS2 and Xbox had weird third party units. The PS2 had a logitech which I do like but it was a wireless controller that was wired in. The xbox one was total crap. It is simple to use the first party controller for the consoles.

- Bootleg NES Machine showcased: They had a whole section for those bootleg machines which I always find iffy. Especially if you want to get support from the top hardware companies, pissing Nintendo off by selling a bootleg product is not the way to go.

- No DS or GBA display: Might be an issue on how you exactly set this up or contacting Nintendo reps to install it. But having a DS should be a must.

- Weird layout for checkout: It was a large glass cabinet area, consoles were no wear in site as far as the area is concerned. They were off to the side in the back of the glass cabinet. They did have a Wii though.

- Refund policy: Apparently they had no refunds, looking at the recipet, had a weird wording stating that even if you return a unopened game, you could only get the same game back. I understand for opened software so people don't keep returning product. But sealed games... or used games within a certain time period. I don't see why not. Consoles also had no return policy and had to be taken to the manufacturer.

- Staff not really gamers: Looked like a nice family that really are not gamers. Nice people, but seems like they are novices. Might hurt them down the road by just going with family instead of hiring for qualified people.

The layout was pretty nice although the area behind the register seemed very empty. Me and my brother both thought about putting in a larger projection screen. Although it is brighter than I had originally thought. Again, nice people but this gave me some understanding of what to do right before hand.

I even talked about making sure our store is stocked with product, even if I have to trade in my own games. Or even go down to local big box stores and buy them. If any serious gamer went in there, they would have walked out.

They didn't even have Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. No new games period.

Also it was very quiet... not bad but now I would really want music playing of some sort.

Hehehe, now you know how to fuck up an opening. Was this in the same chain you apped for?

As far as the bootleg NES machines go, the patent on the NES is expired. They may not like it, but it's not illegal. Still, I would hold back from getting this stuff in, you dont wanna piss off your Nintendo rep.

You may not like my type but TRUST ME it'll be key to maintaining a good chunk of your customer base. I am the remorseful buyer.

Don't hassle people about refunds. If someone wants to return something and there's nothing illegally/physically wrong, just do it. Nothing bothers me more than when an employee wants to deter a return out of lazyness/desperation. I may just second guess a purchase or find something else better to do with the money. If you force me to keep it, better hope it was a sale worth keeping because there won't be anymore from me.

Since it goes hand-in-hand, remorseful buyers are also impulse/addict buyers. They'll drop tons of money and not return anything if they feel it was worth it. Most times a remorseful buyer will return something because they feel the price wasn't worth it. Why buy a $15 game now when you can buy that game and two other similarly priced games at Gamestop's B2G1 sale for $10 a piece? It might sound like an immediate loss in profit but compare the options. $30 of a customer's money vs. $0 of a customer's money?

If you have a cheap supplier, N64 games are almost pure profit. Except for sports and obscure titles, you can make a killing off of anything Mario and Zelda. If you don't have a cheap supplier here's an idea that will create a built-in busy period and then bring in the cash:
Have a "Classic Trade-In" event around August/September. Put up tons of posters and talk about the new fall games. That's because there are tons of people who want to flip their old stuff for new stuff but can't because no one takes it. Wanna get Halo 3? Trade in your old stuff. Then have a "Classic Games Sale" in May and December (income tax refunds and Christmas). You use the games/consoles from the trade-ins as sales fodder.

You know what would really set you apart? Find something to do with Gamecubes that makes you money. Nintendo's first ever useless console since they never had backwards compatibility. Maybe an upgrade program for the Wii? Buy a Gamecube and then after 6-12 months be eligible to get a certain amount off of the Wii? Obviously a bigger discount if you buy it new rather than used ($30 off and $20 off?). That way you're getting rid of Gamecubes and setting up built-in Wii purchases.

[quote name='davo1224']You may not like my type but TRUST ME it'll be key to maintaining a good chunk of your customer base. I am the remorseful buyer.

Don't hassle people about refunds. If someone wants to return something and there's nothing illegally/physically wrong, just do it. Nothing bothers me more than when an employee wants to deter a return out of lazyness/desperation. I may just second guess a purchase or find something else better to do with the money. If you force me to keep it, better hope it was a sale worth keeping because there won't be anymore from me.

Since it goes hand-in-hand, remorseful buyers are also impulse/addict buyers. They'll drop tons of money and not return anything if they feel it was worth it. Most times a remorseful buyer will return something because they feel the price wasn't worth it. Why buy a $15 game now when you can buy that game and two other similarly priced games at Gamestop's B2G1 sale for $10 a piece? It might sound like an immediate loss in profit but compare the options. $30 of a customer's money vs. $0 of a customer's money?

If you have a cheap supplier, N64 games are almost pure profit. Except for sports and obscure titles, you can make a killing off of anything Mario and Zelda. If you don't have a cheap supplier here's an idea that will create a built-in busy period and then bring in the cash:
Have a "Classic Trade-In" event around August/September. Put up tons of posters and talk about the new fall games. That's because there are tons of people who want to flip their old stuff for new stuff but can't because no one takes it. Wanna get Halo 3? Trade in your old stuff. Then have a "Classic Games Sale" in May and December (income tax refunds and Christmas). You use the games/consoles from the trade-ins as sales fodder.

You know what would really set you apart? Find something to do with Gamecubes that makes you money. Nintendo's first ever useless console since they never had backwards compatibility. Maybe an upgrade program for the Wii? Buy a Gamecube and then after 6-12 months be eligible to get a certain amount off of the Wii? Obviously a bigger discount if you buy it new rather than used ($30 off and $20 off?). That way you're getting rid of Gamecubes and setting up built-in Wii purchases.[/QUOTE]

No offense, i do hate you :D

But really, the main reason why you can't return opened product is the "fear" of it being copied. That and the fact some games might be so quick to beat. I am sure you have seen people that stay up all night to beat a game. Possibly having a $10 restocking fee on software would stop that.

Returns are strict for that reason though. Recepit, sealed copy, is good to me for a return. Used game, sorry but I am too iffy on that. If it is damaged or something then I would understand. But you can play the games in store.

Focus would not be on selling hardware period, so having a sort of trade in deal with the Gamecubes is not a great idea. and The gamecube didn't fail because it didn't have backwards compatibility. The previous consoles didn't besides the handhelds. Thanks for the ideas

You misunderstood. As long as it's not illegal (opened software) or physically non-redeemable (no package, broken, etc.) THEN it should just be smooth sailing from there. Otherwise, the customer is rightfully and deservedly screwed.

Focus would not be on selling hardware period,
There isn't much profit from just hardware but ask any business owner and they'll tell you that hardware moves the profitable stuff like accessories and games. It's why Wiis and PS3's are only really being sold in bundles right now. It deters Ebayers and ensures profit right off the bat.

so having a sort of trade in deal with the Gamecubes is not a great idea. and The gamecube didn't fail because it didn't have backwards compatibility. The previous consoles didn't besides the handhelds.
Misunderstood me again, sorry. Wii is the first Nintendo console to have backwards compatibility so that negates the Gamecube. Gamecube doesn't support N64, N64 doesn't support SNES, etc. That puts Gamecube in a uniquely lame-duck position. People want to get rid of theirs and if you deny trade-ins on them then you're losing a good number of people. Doing something to get more sales out of that common situation is only good.

I dont care about the little things the Store uses customers to get in. The only thing I care about is if the prices are reasonable (not a dollar over a competitor) if they acctually HAVE all the new titles and not just old GBA games and if the employees are nice.

Just have the newest games! And have verrryy cheap game bins.

[quote name='davo1224']You misunderstood. As long as it's not illegal (opened software) or physically non-redeemable (no package, broken, etc.) THEN it should just be smooth sailing from there. Otherwise, the customer is rightfully and deservedly screwed.

There isn't much profit from just hardware but ask any business owner and they'll tell you that hardware moves the profitable stuff like accessories and games. It's why Wiis and PS3's are only really being sold in bundles right now. It deters Ebayers and ensures profit right off the bat.

Misunderstood me again, sorry. Wii is the first Nintendo console to have backwards compatibility so that negates the Gamecube. Gamecube doesn't support N64, N64 doesn't support SNES, etc. That puts Gamecube in a uniquely lame-duck position. People want to get rid of theirs and if you deny trade-ins on them then you're losing a good number of people. Doing something to get more sales out of that common situation is only good.[/QUOTE]

I think I am even more confused by your comments. Illegal software is not opened software. I think I sort of explained myself with a standard return policy. Software can be 30 days and hardware 14 on unopened products. Must have receipt present otherwise no return and it would only be a trade in. That is why even Gamestop won't take in sealed software without a receipt because most of it is stolen.

I don't exactly beleive that the Gamecube is a lame duck either. The market for them is younger kids and makes a perfect console for beginingers. I think I am just confused by what you mean as far as trade in special for Gamecubes. I would not deny a trade in on a Gamecube, wouldn't make sense to do that.

When I said the focus is not hardware, I meant that I won't have 50 Wiis to sell. Also I would not sell them as bundles exclusive because I don't really think that is right. I wouldn't mind having a special deal with a couple used games that would be a bonus. Bundles are not being sold everywhere exclusively. It is just a preference for businesses to sell them that way. I personally feel it is better to talk to the customer and gage what they may need for their gameplaying experience as far as games, accessories and such. You also get a better one on one time with the customer that I believe they would appreciate.

Another reason that I wouldn't want to focus on hardware is the fact that it is harder to get and keep in stock. I wouldn't want people expecting that I have them as a constant product currently. Down the road will be different, but that might piss off a customer even more. Also I don't think ebayers are really demanding those consoles. There is very little upsell with those systems compared with the pricing. Maybe the Wii but I assume by the time I open my store that would be solved.

I didn't read all 12 pages of this so I don't know if someone already covered it or not.

But I think the biggest factor to make me come in is the prices and the selection.

Don't sell Brand New Xbox 360 games for $59.95 like everyone else. Drop it a little so that you still make a ok profit from it, but that its also cheaper for the gamers.

I think all that other crap(tournaments, kiosks, etc) Isn't good for you. It will just bring in a lot of poor losers who don't have anything to do. I've seen it before, I went to Gamestop I saw some nerd playing some game, then went to the movies with some friends. As I passed Gamestop I saw the same guy playing a different game but still in there two hours later.

But yeah also selling other things than videogames might be a good idea. The bigger name movies. Maybe CDs?Eh whatever.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']I didn't read all 12 pages of this so I don't know if someone already covered it or not.

But I think the biggest factor to make me come in is the prices and the selection.

Don't sell Brand New Xbox 360 games for $59.95 like everyone else. Drop it a little so that you still make a ok profit from it, but that its also cheaper for the gamers.

I think all that other crap(tournaments, kiosks, etc) Isn't good for you. It will just bring in a lot of poor losers who don't have anything to do. I've seen it before, I went to Gamestop I saw some nerd playing some game, then went to the movies with some friends. As I passed Gamestop I saw the same guy playing a different game but still in there two hours later.

But yeah also selling other things than videogames might be a good idea. The bigger name movies. Maybe CDs?Eh whatever.[/QUOTE]

Um... ok? Thanks for the feed back i think.

Hey OP did you by any chance work at Washington Mutual? Let me know, cuz you sound like this guy Alexis I used to work with.

If not, try get some hooks that the other stores don't do. Like my pet peeve-getting games that are already opened at full price >_>. You should keep those or sell them at used price. fuck YOU EB/GS.

Well good luck either way. As it is your store sounds like something I'd visit even less than an EBGames/Gamestop. Nothing to set it apart and it doesn't even have the blessing of being a well known chain.

[quote name='davo1224']Well good luck either way. As it is your store sounds like something I'd visit even less than an EBGames/Gamestop. Nothing to set it apart and it doesn't even have the blessing of being a well known chain.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand. There are quite a few differences.

Incentivize pre-ordering! For every five pre-orders($5 and picked up) give a $20 credit to the customer. That way you can make it known to the customer about pre-orders once, and you don't have to shove it down there throats.

Make buying and selling used games worthwhile for both the store, and the customer. Don't give the customer shitty prices, and sell used games for a significant discount.

Special events. Get your customers involved with the store. Do midnight launches for games, contests, and other stuff along the lines. The best thing to ensure your stores survival is that you grow a community around your store. Word of mouth is the best way to get people to know about your store.

Hope I was helpful. Good luck!

[quote name='snack']Incentivize pre-ordering! For every five pre-orders($5 and picked up) give a $20 credit to the customer. That way you can make it known to the customer about pre-orders once, and you don't have to shove it down there throats.

Make buying and selling used games worthwhile for both the store, and the customer. Don't give the customer shitty prices, and sell used games for a significant discount.

Special events. Get your customers involved with the store. Do midnight launches for games, contests, and other stuff along the lines. The best thing to ensure your stores survival is that you grow a community around your store. Word of mouth is the best way to get people to know about your store.

Hope I was helpful. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments. I still have to look into the pre-order program but having something where you have a card that gets stamped or punched for every pre-order inorder to get a 10% savings or something could work.

I know as a CAG forum everyone wants the cheapest pricing, I can go a little cheaper but realistically I can't go to low. This is still a business and i need to make money. It is very hard to compete based on pricing and one of the few stores that focus on that is Wal-Mart.

As an independent store you simply cannot compete on pricing. You can't run new releases for $30-40 the week they come out like the big chains do.

Instead, you have to compete on service. You have to offer me something I simply can't get at those other stores. As some have suggested, contests, tournaments, etc. are what will get people back. One of the most difficult jobs of any business is just getting people through the front door. Give me a reason to come in, and keep coming back in. I've been in game stores before where the clerk never spoke to me. I realize a lot of gamers are anti-social, but that wasn't a very inviting atmosphere.

[quote name='elwood731']As an independent store you simply cannot compete on pricing. You can't run new releases for $30-40 the week they come out like the big chains do.

Instead, you have to compete on service. You have to offer me something I simply can't get at those other stores. As some have suggested, contests, tournaments, etc. are what will get people back. One of the most difficult jobs of any business is just getting people through the front door. Give me a reason to come in, and keep coming back in. I've been in game stores before where the clerk never spoke to me. I realize a lot of gamers are anti-social, but that wasn't a very inviting atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for understanding :)

You get it, pricing is one thing but service and atmosphere is another. Offering a better experience will get people to come. Typically people tend to buy used games at these stores also so those prices will be very similar. But making something special where you bring a bunch of friends to come down and just have fun. At least thats how I see it.

Well now you know how NOT to open a store, heh.

Seriously though, even with all my other comments, if I walked into a new game store and saw it half empty or stocked with nothing but crappy sports games I would walk right out and head to ebay/amazon/gamestop where at least they stock product. First and foremost you need to have product and a variety of it, and make it displayed in an attractive way so that the customer who is walking in for the first time is attracted to the store rather than turned off from it. As you walk into your store just before opening ask yourself if it is a place you would buy your own console games for your collection at, you might even want to bring in a couple family members or a couple hardcore gamers that you know before opening to give you an opinion. If there is a lot of product to look at then I will stay longer and the longer I stay the more of a chance I am going to buy at least something.

When someone walks into the store make sure they know about the services you are going to offer, you might want to print up booklets or flyers outlining all your services. Gamecrazy does a very poor job of advertising in the store and I didn't even know about their disc repairing service until I read it on here or even about the fact that you can play a game before you buy it. Make sure your customers know about what types of services you offer, if you offer console system repair, what kinds of trade ins you take, if you offer a selection of parts, adaptors and controllers, import games, what systems you carry games for etc..

A time limit on the consoles should keep away any nerds and people who are just using your store, its a place of business, if someone is staying too long you could just ask them to leave. Even the Ebgames by my house asks people to leave if they have been in the store too long just playing the demos. Definitely set up an unsupervised child policy and post it on the door to keep out the riff and the bored kids who just are using your store during the summer.

On trade in's.. DONT REFUSE TRADE IN'S, because you have too much of a product or just don't want it, your better off giving a lower amount for the item even if its 25 cents, if people are dumping stuff to get rid of it they don't want to be sent home with the stuff they intended to get rid of, nothing is worse than having to lug your trade in's back home since the store didn't want it. Of course you can offer the person the choice not to trade it in and take it home if they want but 9 times out of 10 they will just want to get rid of it for whatever you will give.

On the return policy, there needs to be some kind of policy since no one will want to buy a used game if it isn't fully guaranteed, even if its a policy like 3 days return with a receipt only. Yes you can play the games in the store but not everyone will have time to do that especially if they are buying for gifts. If whatever you create for a return policy for you is not working you could always change it if you get a lot of abusers or something happens. You will learn your customer base, if you get too many customers buying a game, beating it overnight then returning it the next day you will know to tighten up the return policy.

I think you already posted this (and I may have posted this question before), but I can't find it.

Where did you say your store is going to be again? I believe you already said you had a location planned out. I see that you got your loan.

It will be in New Castle County, Delaware. I have to work with the franchise on nailing down a location. I have had a few spots in mind but I think that may be off the market now. It is something that I can't say exactly yet because it may change. Once I do have something I will tell everyone.

Return policy will be inline with Gamestop just to compete.

I really don't understand someone playing the consoles all day being labeled as "nerd". I don't really mind someone playing a console for a lengthly amount of time unless someone else wants to play. Having a store look busy is better then it being empty. Also that "nerd" that has been playing a game for a few hours may eventually come in and purchase a ton of product. If it is a disturbance I would ask them to leave but otherwise I really don't see a problem with it.

I do agree with the parent with a child policy. Mainly because I don't want it being a heaven for kids just running in and out of my store because they can. Also don't want to be a babysitter.

I wouldn't refuse a trade in unless I suspected something suspicious like stolen merchandise. Sports games, even older ones can eventually be used as give aways and such. The roster may not be updated but typically the gameplay is pretty much the same.

One thing I am thinking about doing is having the consoles online so people could try out those features. Passwords and such is my only issue with Xbox Live. Possibly even have DDR out also.

I would like to have the following consoles playable on the LCD tvs...

1. Wii
2. Xbox 360
3. PS3
4. Gamecube
5. Xbox
6. Playstation 2
7. Playstation
8. Nintendo 64
9. Dreamcast
10. SNES
11. NES

Now I may not have that many spots open. I might be able to eliminate a few though depending on the demand and stock of the console. I am not sure if I will have 7-9 LCD tvs for game playing. I might have one set up that will have SNES & NES and etc. Especially with the Wii and Gamecube where the Wii can read the Gamecube games.

I would also have to get a skin wrap for a car which I am planning to get a Scion, the boxy looking ones. What should I get on it? I know alot of the stores have Halo graphics on them. I would like something interesting like maybe the evolution of Mario or something with a bunch of characters.

With all these Forza 2 car designs, there are alot of possibilities.

Use backwards capability to save space and money, you are right there. Nintendo systems can also be switched out quick as the N64, SNES and Gamecube use the same AV cords.

Again the console situation should be easy to handle, just use your own judgement. I think the nerds may have been referred to as groups of people who do nothing but hang out at game stores and play the consoles for hours, often these are people who disrupt normal business for those who are actually buying something but again if its interfering or the store is busy you could just ask the person to leave or to let someone else play. This usually happens in mall gamestop locations, and sometimes these stores can get so crowded that you can hardly move or shop in them, thats what makes it unpleasant I think. I have seen these types of people around.

I would definitely appreciate a store that allowed you to fully test out a console before purchasing especially a store that lets you test out even the online features of the console. This may go a long way in selling consoles as well as I know tons of people who are so ill-informed about games that they buy the xbox360 and they don't even know that it can go online! Tons of people still think that game consoles just play games and thats what they buy them for, if you can help people use their purchase to its fullest potential then more sales to you!

I talked to someone about the store I visited was their "soft opening" which I figured. Hopefully when they do have their grand opening, it will be well... grand.

bread's done
Back