RE4 and GC sales

scargums

CAGiversary!
this game seems like it ought to be a system seller, but i was wondering if it is actually moving many GCs out of stores and into homes? i know my neighbors across the hall had never even considered a gamecube (played mostly EA sports games on ps2, no need for a GC) until the day i brought RE4 home and started playing it, and the very next day they bought a GC. i just hope this phenomena is spreading!

also, anyone know any sales numbers yet on RE4, id love to know how it compares to other games in terms of sales!

[quote name='scargums']
also, anyone know any sales numbers yet on RE4, id love to know how it compares to other games in terms of sales![/quote]

Ask this same question in about a month or so...not a few days after release.

While RE4 might have great initial sales, don't look for numbers like those of GTA,Halo 2, etc. The console base just isn't there.

are even the holiday sales even in yet?

all i know is that a week before christmas, I had to go to 6 different stores to find a GC and the one I did find was one someone returned an hour before i got there.

Well last week I got my GC - a Mario Kart bundle (not with the extra controller though). And I bought it primarily because of RE4 (but also because I had $70 in gift cards and it would be a cheap investment).

So it worked for me. Although I went to Best Buy on Sunday and they had no PS2s or Xboxes in stock, but stacks of Gamecubes - even with the MK:DD bundle.

Jeremy

I bought a GC just for RE4.

And Jalu6, what's up with your avatar. Are you trying to make Britney look like an alcoholic? She's drinking Ginseng in that picture.

[quote name='screwkick']I love the RE series, however, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Gamecube to play it.[/quote]

Seriously, especially when it'll be out for other systems in 6 months. I mean, I am sure it will have an impact on sales, but not in the way Mario or Zelda would have.

[quote name='screwkick']I love the RE series, however, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Gamecube to play it.[/quote]

True. There are tons of other great games for GCN that should make you want to run out and buy it.

[quote name='Scorch']And Jalu6, what's up with your avatar. Are you trying to make Britney look like an alcoholic? She's drinking Ginseng in that picture.[/quote]

yes, but shes doing it in front of a liquor store.

So yes, I am.

The game has been selling a lot in my store, but not many systems. Pre-owned GC's are on sale for $59.99 this month, so if anything we are selling though.

[quote name='Scahom1']The game has been selling a lot in my store, but not many systems. Pre-owned GC's are on sale for $59.99 this month, so if anything we are selling though.[/quote]
Yeah I picked up a pre-owned for that price and a bunch of games.
RE4 = teh Awesome

[quote name='thahamburglir'][quote name='screwkick']I love the RE series, however, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Gamecube to play it.[/quote]

Seriously, especially when it'll be out for other systems in 6 months. I mean, I am sure it will have an impact on sales, but not in the way Mario or Zelda would have.[/quote]

It'll be more 6 months, and I can't even begin to imagine how much quality will be lost bringing it to ps2.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='thahamburglir'][quote name='screwkick']I love the RE series, however, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Gamecube to play it.[/quote]

Seriously, especially when it'll be out for other systems in 6 months. I mean, I am sure it will have an impact on sales, but not in the way Mario or Zelda would have.[/quote]

It'll be more 6 months, and I can't even begin to imagine how much quality will be lost bringing it to ps2.[/quote]

from what i hear itll be november or december...RE4 will be old news by then besides looking shittier on ps2. i hope by then the next chapter in the RE serires will be well underway.

[quote name='undyingforce5'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='thahamburglir'][quote name='screwkick']I love the RE series, however, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a Gamecube to play it.[/quote]

It'll be more 6 months, and I can't even begin to imagine how much quality will be lost bringing it to ps2.[/quote]

from what i hear itll be november or december...RE4 will be old news by then besides looking shittier on ps2. i hope by then the next chapter in the RE serires will be well underway.[/quote]

OTOH, PS2 owners aren't lacking for other choices while waiting for that port. The release calendar on the PS2 is just a bit more packed.

Are GameCube owners still pining for GTA, any GTA, while telling themselve their version will look better? I certainly hope not.

At this late date there are way too many used GameCubes available for anyone sensible to bother buying a new one just for RE4. If the entire GC library to date hasn't been sufficient enticement it doesn't seem likely one major title will do job for any great number of consumers. More likely you'll see a situation like what has been common in Japan since the N64. When a title like StarFox 64 came out Nintendo would see a spike in system sale but wouldn't see any corresponding spike in software sales in the following months. It turned out that gamers were buying the hardware just for that hit game and then selling it when they were done playing to their satisfaction. After a while this lead to a huge stock of used N64 hardware in stores and the sales spikes would only happen for those stores dealing in used consoles. Thus Nintendo ended up with a supposed installed based that severely underperformed in software purchases except for a hardful of major hits.

This did really serious damage to Nintendo's standing with third parties in Japan and made the GameCube start life with a serious handicap.

I waited until Resident Evil came out on the PSX before I bought one (was it a year after the PSX debuted? I forget). It was the first PSX game I ever played. I see people all over different forums stating they purchased a GC because of RE4.

And yes, it will be interesting to compare GC console sales between the week it came out and the previous weeks.

I just finally picked up a GC recently, but it wasn't just for RE4. Mainly it's becuase I wanted to play Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, all the AAA hits on the Cube. RE4 coming out helped though, but for me it was Nintendo's exclusive games that sold me on it.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Scorch']I bought a GC just for RE4.[/quote]

Same here. I'm looking to get one just for RE4, as well.[/quote]

Wow Grave!

I would have figured you would have owned a cube by now....

I also bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4. Funny thing is, I bought a Gamecube a few years ago when Metroid Prime was going to come out. After I beat Prime I sold my Gamecube. Now I have one again, good thing too I sure did miss out on some good titles only on Gamecube.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I also bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4. Funny thing is, I bought a Gamecube a few years ago when Metroid Prime was going to come out. After I beat Prime I sold my Gamecube. Now I have one again, good thing too I sure did miss out on some good titles only on Gamecube.[/quote]

That's what the Japanese do. No big story, I'm just saying is all.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='Radioactive_Man']I also bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4. Funny thing is, I bought a Gamecube a few years ago when Metroid Prime was going to come out. After I beat Prime I sold my Gamecube. Now I have one again, good thing too I sure did miss out on some good titles only on Gamecube.[/quote]

That's what the Japanese do. No big story, I'm just saying is all.[/quote]

I see what you are saying, but then I cannot see what you are saying more like reading what you are saying......but if I couldnt see what you are saying then how could I read what you are saying? The question that never get answered.

Just Kidding, I didn't mind at all getting another Gamecube.

The price of a GCN is so affordable, it's almost disposable. I've had mine since launch, and I have two others that I have bought for MK:DD and just for the Holiday bundles, etc. I know have only 2, but I'll probably buy another again once the price falls again. Nothing better than buying consoles and moving them off.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='Scorch']I bought a GC just for RE4.[/quote]

I bought a GC just for REmake, but that was a couple of years ago.[/quote]

So did my cousin, but he then became quickly board of it and sold it.

I belive RE4 did move NGCs, but I doubt it did GTA/ Halo numbers, because like some else said: the user base is just not there.

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='Scorch']I bought a GC just for RE4.[/quote]

I bought a GC just for REmake, but that was a couple of years ago.[/quote]

So did my cousin, but he then became quickly board of it and sold it.

I belive RE4 did move NGCs, but I doubt it did GTA/ Halo numbers, because like some else said: the user base is just not there.[/quote]

I can remember back when GCN and Xbox sales were neck and neck. GCN sales didn't suddenly drop off the charts since then, did they? Nintendo does have a decent installed user base provided that a majority GCN owners actually consider buying a third party game.

Besides the lack of user base, GTA and Halo seem to have more of a universal following.

Don't get me wrong RE has a strong following, I just question if its apeal is limited. I mean stores weren't open to sell the game at midnight like they did for Halo 2, and GTA.

I could just be way off on this though.

yeah, stores give gc games the cold shoulder because they dont see it as being as popular as the XBOX or PS2, which is true. however, im sure that if capcom and nintendo both had spent some serious money hyping and advertising RE4 as was done with GTA and Halo (and their sucessors) stores would have been open at midnight, and i would have been there.

i honestly think of every exclusive game released on GC up to now, this is the one that should have been pushed the most to move to most systems, as this is the game nintendo has needed to sell systems for years; its gameplay is amazing, its story is dark and intense, its heritage lies with the psx fanbase and a mature audience, and it looks better than anything youve seen before on a console. i know nintendo themselves dont seem to care much about visuals in games, but most normal people do, and most normal and hardcore gamers alike want everything that this game offers. its the complete package, and best of all, it doesnt make nintendo look like dumbasses for not supporting online because it doesnt have anything that would potentially require online functionality anyway as its entirely single player.

i cant say that i will be surprised if sales are not monumental, but i can say that they honestly should be, and nintendo execs ought to fire themselves if it doesnt perform, because if this doesnt sell gcs and increase their fanbase, nothing will.

OTOH, PS2 owners aren't lacking for other choices while waiting for that port. The release calendar on the PS2 is just a bit more packed.

Are GameCube owners still pining for GTA, any GTA, while telling themselve their version will look better? I certainly hope not.

At this late date there are way too many used GameCubes available for anyone sensible to bother buying a new one just for RE4. If the entire GC library to date hasn't been sufficient enticement it doesn't seem likely one major title will do job for any great number of consumers. More likely you'll see a situation like what has been common in Japan since the N64. When a title like StarFox 64 came out Nintendo would see a spike in system sale but wouldn't (Bla bla bla bla bla)

This did really serious damage to Nintendo's standing with third parties in Japan and made the GameCube start life with a serious handicap.

Pointless post? Why...yes.

(Bought GC for Re4)

bread's done
Back