Ready to get my first car! Any suggestions?

[quote name='the_deej']no kids first car should be worth $15k, especially not $20k
and your parents buying it for you doesn't make it any better...[/QUOTE]

yea thats ridonk... how long have you even had your license like a year and a half at best?

20g's would be nice for a mortgage payment...

my first car was a 1978 Datsun B-210 I bought when I was 17 with my own saved up money from working at Target.

I can offer no advice.

I agree w/ getting a used car. 5 years from now, you'll be getting a new, better car. Plus, you'll be a much better driver then.

Ofcourse, I doubt you'll listen to us. Every young dude wants a fast, sexy, sports car for the chicks

[quote name='BasketCase1080']yea thats ridonk... how long have you even had your license like a year and a half at best?

20g's would be nice for a mortgage payment...[/quote]

haha no, im actually getting my license in March (when i turn 17). probably will get a car around summertime, just looking around right now. And id appreciate it if you guys would stop flaming me and offer some brotherly advice

Went I graduated high school and left for college, I got my parents old car (2000 Toyota Camry) and they bought a new one (2004 Toyota Camry).

I think that's the best way to go.

[quote name='ispeshaled']Went I graduated high school and left for college, I got my parents old car (2000 Toyota Camry) and they bought a new one (2004 Toyota Camry).

I think that's the best way to go.[/quote]
dont most colleges not allow freshmen to have a car on school grounds? How does that work? - what did you do with your car?

[quote name='omgu8myrice']dont most colleges not allow freshmen to have a car on school grounds? How does that work? - what did you do with your car?[/quote]

My school allowed it. You just have to buy a Residents parking permit for the garages. They were ridiculously expensive and hard to get though.

[quote name='ispeshaled']My school allowed it. You just have to buy a Residents parking permit for the garages. They were ridiculously expensive and hard to get though.[/quote]

otherwise..you leave the car at home, and make payments on it while you dont even get to use it? :cry:

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']A friend of mine does own a tC and it seems to be a very nice car. Took a deer straight to the driver side door and took virtually no damage as well.

P.S. If you can talk your parents a little bit up beyond $20k, here is what I would go for:

http://www.modernracer.com/history/dodgecalibersrt4history.html[/quote]

DO NOT buy a friggin' Dodge or pretty much any US made car. Dodge's do not hold their value, have crappy warrantees, and just overall suck compared to the rest of the market.

Go with the tC, but buying a car and having a payment is the WORST idea ever for a kid your age

[quote name='crushtopher']DO NOT buy a friggin' Dodge or pretty much any US made car. Dodge's do not hold their value, have crappy warrantees, and just overall suck compared to the rest of the market.

Go with the tC, but buying a car and having a payment is the WORST idea ever for a kid your age[/QUOTE]

Yes, because a Toyota 3-yr warranty is much better than a Dodge lifetime warranty...

And the only American cars that don't hold their value are cheap ones, such as Neons. (No offense to Neons, but you gotta admit, they're not expensive)

[quote name='Deathmonkey']Get an old Mercury Grand Marquis or a Ford Crown Victoria in white. It's the safest car on the road because no one will come anywhere near you much less try to race you.[/quote]

:lol: I don't have too many suggestions, but maybe a Lancer? They are in your price range (except for the EVOs) and seem to fit what you are looking for.

And I don't think there's any need to crap on the OP. He seems responsible enough, and if his parents are willing to do this for him, then that's their business. I also echo the advice of buying used.

[quote name='nikelecious91']I'm also looking for a car..just not a 20k one. Basically I want manual and less than 5k if possible :cry: Any suggestions?[/quote]I bought my car for 2,200 at an auto auction.I think that's the best way for me to go since I actually bought the car with my own money.For being 17(16 when I got the car) and in high school,I think it looks sexy.Well,my dad is a super mechanic and knows EVERYTHING about cars so he helps me with my car when I need help.I hate it when he just does it because I want to learn why and what was the problem...etc.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']thats another question i have, should i bother learning how to drive a stick?[/quote]
You only need to learn stick if you buy a car with one. And I'd say since you're into looking to buy a sporty car a manual transmission is a great way to deliver on that. I loved driving stick. Last 10 years was on a 1994 Honda Accord. Never had any trouble with that car.

The Accord was fun, but everytime I hit rushhour bumper to bumper traffic it was such a pain in the ass to clutch every 10 seconds and inch along. Wifey asked that the new car be automatic so she won't worry about driving it; I picked up a 2007 v6 Camry XLE. Insanely comfy inside, and its got some giddy-up.

While in the Toyota showroom I checked out the Scions next door and I thought the tC looked great. Not big enough for me and the fam on the inside, but it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm curious about the customizations to the car you've got planned. Are you going to do them or have them installed professionally?

Op, get yourself a fairly used dodge neon. Those fuckers go for cheap but at the same time those things last (mine is a plymouth neon but same brand) and it is a 2000 with 106k miles and it runs like a beauty. Should also have enough left over for some mods.

As with any car, with great power comes great responsibility. Get a decent car for your first. If you're into cars, get something used and work on it a bit. Don't make the mistake of getting a fast car and wrecking it.

What about a Tiburon, OP? It would be a nice first car. A new Tiburon GT (performance model) is around 20k, but like everyone else said, BUY USED, and a used 05-06, but excellent condition GT would be right there in the 15-18k range.

[quote name='Braskley']
I'm curious about the customizations to the car you've got planned. Are you going to do them or have them installed professionally?[/quote]
Well, scion actually dealer installs accessories, they have a ton of options, im not planning to go overboard though. their reasonably priced and they dont void the warranty, which is nice.

tiburon is a maybe, ill look into it, but i think it might be a little too small for my needs, a tC can fit 4-5 fairly comfortably, in case i never need to haul friends around

wow, your parents are buying you a brand new 16,000 dollar car? lucky you, my first was a 93 saturn SL2, as crappy as it was I love that thing. It was a standard (which I couldn't drive when I got it) but my dad said "heres a car" I had no choice, only took me a few days to master it, and after you do you'll thank yourself later. trust me!

I just helped my sister buy a car with the same budget you are talking about, they went with a Mazda 6 sedan (found an 07 left over that had 2500 cash back, and after haggling got it for a little over 16,000. GREAT car!

They originally went to buy a Mazda 3 (which I highly recommended) but with the deal they had on the 6, it was almost the same price for about $4,000 more car.

could also look at base model accords, I'd stay away from the civic (I HATE the new ones) or VW golfs/GTI's (they make them 4 door)

I'd suggest buying a beater first. Older Corolla's, Civics (that haven't been messed with), Hyundai, etc. You need to learn how to drive before getting a new car. I'm a Body Shop office manager and see kids with cars that I can't afford here all the time. I have one kid who's been here 3 times in the last 4 months with a Mazda 3, twice being her fault = 2 deductibles = 2 surcharges = lots of fucking insurance payment. I have another one who's been here multiple times with a Scion and another with a Mustang GT. I question parents who would buy their kids these potential death machines.

RC

[quote name='omgu8myrice']Well, scion actually dealer installs accessories, they have a ton of options, im not planning to go overboard though. their reasonably priced and they dont void the warranty, which is nice.

tiburon is a maybe, ill look into it, but i think it might be a little too small for my needs, a tC can fit 4-5 fairly comfortably, in case i never need to haul friends around[/quote]

If you put one of those coffee can mufflers on any car then you shouldn't drive. Take a look at a Chevy Cobalt (coupe) for a sporty car at a great price.

bread's done
Back