Record of Agarest War Naughty Edition for Xbox 360 - $56.57 (price drop)

[quote name='mxpowar']J/SRPGs=grinding. That's just a fact. For those of us who love JRPGs (like myself), it's something we have to learn to love or even just find workarounds for. Personally, when I come upon a point where I can see I have some serious grinding to do, I just take a break from the game and play something else that can be beaten quickly (action/adventure games like Heavenly Sword, etc.).

When you come back to the RPG, it feels a little more fresh and the grinding doesn't seem as tedious.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I don't mind grinding nearly as much in more traditional JRPGs as I do in SRPGs. I think it's because in a more traditional JRPG, there's also the exploration, quests, and such to break things up, whereas SRPGs tend to be more along the lines of battle-cut scene-battle-cut scene. That's why my preference has always been more toward JRPGs, but I'm really trying to give SRPGs a try because I enjoy the strategy aspect, and a lot of traditional JRPGs are kind of lacking in that.

[quote name='arcane93']It's funny, I don't mind grinding nearly as much in more traditional JRPGs as I do in SRPGs. I think it's because in a more traditional JRPG, there's also the exploration, quests, and such to break things up, whereas SRPGs tend to be more along the lines of battle-cut scene-battle-cut scene. That's why my preference has always been more toward JRPGs, but I'm really trying to give SRPGs a try because I enjoy the strategy aspect, and a lot of traditional JRPGs are kind of lacking in that.[/QUOTE]
If you haven't already, you should try Enchanted Arms. That game has a very good balance between traditional JRPG and SRPG. I also recommend Wild Arms 4 and 5 in the same vein. I heard that Cross Edge has a similar battle system, but I can't recommend it since I haven't played it yet.

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, that's disappointing to hear. AI is pointless if it's not smart enough to actually be able to win. Oh well, if it can at least take care of some of the more boring grinding, that's a bonus.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely useful for grinding (and farming!) How I found it was that, if you're over the enemy's level, you'll win 80% of the time.

If you're roughly equal to the enemy's level, it's about 40-60%. The ally AI pulls some good moves every now and then.

If you're weak, you're 80% going to lose.

328543934262601f4555o.gif

[quote name='mxpowar']If you haven't already, you should try Enchanted Arms. That game has a very good balance between traditional JRPG and SRPG. I also recommend Wild Arms 4 and 5 in the same vein. I heard that Cross Edge has a similar battle system, but I can't recommend it since I haven't played it yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendations. Figures, I was looking at Enchanted Arms when they had it at the local FYE that was closing last month, but I skipped it because of the poor to mediocre reviews (and because the stack of games I was looking at buying was totaling up to twice as much as I felt ok about spending and I needed to weed some out!). I guess maybe I'll pick it up when I find it for a decent price again.

I do have Cross Edge, though I haven't played it much yet either. My main impression of it so far is that it's incredibly unintuitive. I actually had to look up online how to save my game, because it's not at all obvious in the game and there's nothing about it in the manual. Of course that was after having to lose all of the progress that I'd made in it (in the 40 minutes or so that I'd played) because the girlfriend was getting impatient about waiting for me to go to dinner (I actually thought, since I couldn't find a save option anywhere, that maybe it was just auto-saving, but I was wrong). That was frustrating enough that I haven't gone back since, though I will at some point.

[quote name='mxpowar']If you haven't already, you should try Enchanted Arms. That game has a very good balance between traditional JRPG and SRPG. I also recommend Wild Arms 4 and 5 in the same vein. I heard that Cross Edge has a similar battle system, but I can't recommend it since I haven't played it yet.[/QUOTE]

Enchanted Arms had an acceptable battle system, but it got stale very fast despite its sprinkling of strategy elements. This would've been tolerable but the story was just so awful. I really couldn't recommend Enchanted Arms to anyone, honestly. I'd take the graphics hit and play a PS2 game you missed instead.

Cross Edge was more enjoyable for me. It got God-awful reviews, but I got all the way through it and enjoyed it pretty well. The battle system is tough to get a hold on, and the menus and UI sucked, but it had a lot of depth in the places I cared about. Agarest is pretty much more of the same, so unless you really liked Cross Edge, I wouldn't pay full price for Agarest. Battle system's different and story's better, but it drags more because of the slow combat and there are some nice features missing that were in Cross Edge.

[quote name='artego']Cross Edge and Agarest Senki's battle systems are completely different.

Cross Edge is turn-based-row-position-active-confusing battle system that really turns you off from the game.

Agarest is a standard SRPG 2-phase (Move, Attack) style battle system with customizations, such as making chain attack combos with characters, Arts (hidden combos that are activated when skills are used in a certain order), special attacks, and Overkill where you can inflict more damage for more bonuses.[/QUOTE]

I really have to disagree with this. Anyone who's played both games extensively will see the similarities. As a matter of fact, the attack names and animations are in some cases identical from one game to the other (Trick Hit, Double Edge, and a few of the more complicated attacks come to mind)

Cross Edge has chain attacks, arts (combos), special attacks, overkill and break. Agarest has... chain attacks, combos (arts), special attacks, overkill, and break.
Is anyone NOT seeing the simlarities yet? Heck, you equip 1 weapon, 1 armlet, 1 accessory in both games. In both games you have the exact same set of base statistics (STR, LUK, etc) which affect the exact same set of extended statistics (Attack, Hit, Resist, etc). Even AP is in the same realm: Characters will start with about 16 AP which amounts to two simple attacks in a single turn. Later you'll have them up to 35-40 AP and can do many simple attacks or a few better ones in a single turn. The character customization menus look almost identical, including equipment selection and so forth. About the only major difference in terms of character statistics and customization is that in Agarest your characters have a MOV stat (in Cross Edge you could jump from any part of your grid to any other).

I... I'm sorry, if you can't see the striking similarities between the two games, you didn't play one of them very long.

Point in case: If you thought Cross Edge's battle system was overly convoluted, Agarest might not be your favorite game. You're still going to have to discover 4- and 5-attack combinations to get decent decent damage special attacks later in the game. In Cross Edge to accomplish this you worked backwards in a skill tree of sorts (two simple attacks make one medium attack, two more simple attacks make a second medium attack, and those two medium attacks make a big-fancy-awesome attack), while in Agarest you can just put in the component attacks in any order before starting your attack chain.

So, yes, the battle systems are different, but the similarities are astounding, and if you really hated one, you're probably not going to like the other.

Wait... a pillowcase? Like one of those "this is my girlfriend" pillowcases?

This is probably not a collection anybody would want to get used.

[quote name='Esoteria']I really have to disagree with this. Anyone who's played both games extensively will see the similarities. As a matter of fact, the attack names and animations are in some cases identical from one game to the other (Trick Hit, Double Edge, and a few of the more complicated attacks come to mind)

Cross Edge has chain attacks, arts (combos), special attacks, overkill and break. Agarest has... chain attacks, combos (arts), special attacks, overkill, and break.
Is anyone NOT seeing the simlarities yet? Heck, you equip 1 weapon, 1 armlet, 1 accessory in both games. In both games you have the exact same set of base statistics (STR, LUK, etc) which affect the exact same set of extended statistics (Attack, Hit, Resist, etc). Even AP is in the same realm: Characters will start with about 16 AP which amounts to two simple attacks in a single turn. Later you'll have them up to 35-40 AP and can do many simple attacks or a few better ones in a single turn. The character customization menus look almost identical, including equipment selection and so forth. About the only major difference in terms of character statistics and customization is that in Agarest your characters have a MOV stat (in Cross Edge you could jump from any part of your grid to any other).

I... I'm sorry, if you can't see the striking similarities between the two games, you didn't play one of them very long.

Point in case: If you thought Cross Edge's battle system was overly convoluted, Agarest might not be your favorite game. You're still going to have to discover 4- and 5-attack combinations to get decent decent damage special attacks later in the game. In Cross Edge to accomplish this you worked backwards in a skill tree of sorts (two simple attacks make one medium attack, two more simple attacks make a second medium attack, and those two medium attacks make a big-fancy-awesome attack), while in Agarest you can just put in the component attacks in any order before starting your attack chain.

So, yes, the battle systems are different, but the similarities are astounding, and if you really hated one, you're probably not going to like the other.[/QUOTE]
Huh, I just played Spectral Souls on the PSP and the battle system is pretty similar to what you're describing. I guess Idea Factory doesn't change their battle system much from game to game.

Is the interface in Agarest any more intuitive than Cross Edge, though? In what I played of Cross Edge, anyway (and admittedly I didn't get far yet, mostly because I got frustrated about losing the progress that I'd made), I didn't so much mind the complicated battle system. What I did mind was that other basic functions (like saving the game) were unintuitive and impossible to find. I mean, geez, you get to something called a "save point" and it's not actually the place to save your game? You have to go through multiple levels of menus to actually find the save option? And there's nothing about any of this in the manual even? It's ridiculously poorly designed.

[quote name='artego']It's definitely useful for grinding (and farming!) How I found it was that, if you're over the enemy's level, you'll win 80% of the time.

If you're roughly equal to the enemy's level, it's about 40-60%. The ally AI pulls some good moves every now and then.

If you're weak, you're 80% going to lose.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds like the verdict is that it's good for farming/grinding, but not for getting past tough parts.

[quote name='mxpowar']Huh, I just played Spectral Souls on the PSP and the battle system is pretty similar to what you're describing. I guess Idea Factory doesn't change their battle system much from game to game.[/QUOTE]

Among RPG afficionados, Idea Factory is not known for its ability to produce new ideas.

[quote name='Esoteria']So, yes, the battle systems are different, but the similarities are astounding, and if you really hated one, you're probably not going to like the other.[/QUOTE]
The point is the battle system itself, not the mechanics. The battle system in Cross Edge was anything but intuitive, and it played out in a side-turn based way that was cumbersome to play. At least with Agarest it's a standard SRPG format, so there's not much to confuse there, which is the entire point. Accessibility.

Sure you can get up into arms about the mechanics that are common to most SRPGs (combos, equipping, stats, AP) but the point is Cross Edge tried to dress up an SRPG mechanic in a turn-based normal JRPG's clothing and failed. Agarest is a more conventional and intuitive SRPG, so people who are going to play will know exactly how to play and will not be frustrated by the learning curve.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Wait... a pillowcase? Like one of those "this is my girlfriend" pillowcases?

This is probably not a collection anybody would want to get used.[/QUOTE]

its a small pillow case lol

in for one lol

SRPGs are technically my favorite genre, but it's such a time sink. I loved the system in Suikoden Tactics, and can't get more than 10 hours in it because of how slow the animation is. The auto-battles will grinding a ton, I'm sure. Already pre-ordered two copies of this weeks ago, and planning on keeping one sealed.

I put in a order for the game, dont know a whole lot about it, but I've got 2 months to figure if i want to go ahead with the order or cancel it.

Afflicted, the OP simply abandoned this thread (it was only that price for a couple of days at most), and sadly nobody has updated it since.

If anyone else is interested gamestop has a deal right now to get 25% off if you purchase $100 or more worth of stuff. Good way to get this with a little discount if your thinking of getting anything else soon. Personally I grabbed this, the Sakura Wars Prem edition and tossed in State of Emergency just to get my total over $100 and with taxes it cost me $81. Not bad at all.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If anyone else is interested gamestop has a deal right now to get 25% off if you purchase $100 or more worth of stuff. Good way to get this with a little discount if your thinking of getting anything else soon. Personally I grabbed this, the Sakura Wars Prem edition and tossed in State of Emergency just to get my total over $100 and with taxes it cost me $81. Not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I might do this with Monster Hunter Tri or another game. I really shouldn't be spending anymore money though :cry:

[quote name='chickenbutt']Thanks for the trailer. I thought it was really lame until the end. I was expecting that the whole time! Btw, what's S&Gs?[/QUOTE]

Shits and Giggles.

[quote name='Virgil_Leone']Don't care for the pillow or mouse pad but I like the outer box and game discs. That boob mouse pad thing must be a new fad because jlist had the same type of mousepad but with one piece characters. Also, how is it "t" for teen?[/QUOTE]

Boobiemats have been around in Japan for years, official studios are just now getting into it. Me sad I had to cancel the Nami boobiemat, I also want the Robin and Hancock. :(

Hmm, mine is preordered at Amazon for $56 shipped but perhaps I will cancel that, spend 25 more dollars, but end up with a $40 game instead at gamestop... Thanks MunchLax...

For those with prime, check your order status. Mine is listed as shipped and it looks like I'll get it tomorrow. The game wasn't even eligible for release day shipping, but it looks like I'm getting it any it on release day anyway. :bouncy:

My prime ran out, but still getting it with (somehow) free two-day shipping on Wednesday. Weird, as of late 2-day shipping from Amazon has been counting from Monday instead of Tuesday (release).

[quote name='Traitorious']My prime ran out, but still getting it with (somehow) free two-day shipping on Wednesday. Weird, as of late 2-day shipping from Amazon has been counting from Monday instead of Tuesday (release).[/QUOTE]
Any order placed while you have prime you still get the shipping speed selected when order was made. Also mine is being prepared for shipping, does that mean it should show up tomorrow? or in 3 days? Not sure, said 2 days shipping.

EDIT: Also is there no regular 360 version of this game shipping out?

Damn, must be nice. GameStop is listing mine as "backordered" -- I'm not terribly worried, because I've seen that happen with pre-orders through them on the day before release before, only to then have them shipped on release day. But still, that means I won't be seeing it until Thursday or Friday at the earliest.

Not a huge deal, though, because there's no way that I'd get around to playing it before then anyway (hell, I'll be lucky if I get to it by June). And it's a trade-off I'm willing to accept in return for the 25% off from the GameStop coupon. :D

[quote name='Traitorious']My prime ran out, but still getting it with (somehow) free two-day shipping on Wednesday. Weird, as of late 2-day shipping from Amazon has been counting from Monday instead of Tuesday (release).[/QUOTE]

Out of the past 15 or 20 pre-orders from amazon, every single title but like 3 have shipped out monday and gotten to me wednesday, using 2day prime shipping. Those few late ones seem to have been delayed all around like Yakuza 3 as I read gamestop didn't have on release till midday or the next. It's certainly a nice bonus and makes sense if they're already shipping the release day delivery pre-orders, why not get rid of the rest at the same time.

[quote name='arcane93']Damn, must be nice. GameStop is listing mine as "backordered"[/QUOTE]

Same here. I don't mind waiting on this game, but the box better be in good condition.

Gamestop has listed my order status as "verifying." They seem to be verifying the rest of my pre-orders too I put together along with Agarest Wars.

I'm not too much in a rush to get the game (still slogging through FFXIII) as long as I get it.

I would've gotten mine for $46 shipped from Amazon but I ended up calling CS and canceling it when it went into preparing to ship... I don't know if I can justify paying that much for this game when the PSN version is so much cheaper.

If the LE had an artbook or something, it'd be a different story but I don't really want a dakimakura or an oppai mouse pad -.-

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I don't know if I can justify paying that much for this game when the PSN version is so much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I thought about it because I don't care all that much about the pillow cover (note that, for whatever it actually matters, it's not a dakimakura, it's for a standard-sized pillow) or the mousepad either, beyond whatever collector's value they might have later on down the road, but I decided to go with the 360 version for two reasons:

1. I refuse to pay $39.99 for a download-only game. Regardless of how inevitable it may be, I don't want to do anything to support the market going in that direction. For that much money, I want physical media. I like collecting it and I feel more secure about it (a hard drive can crash or a system can fail, and there's no guarantee that the game will be available for re-download later; a disc is much more permanent). Not to mention that if I end up hating the game and don't want to keep it, I can at least trade or sell a disc, but with a download I'm screwed. As far as I'm concerned, the little bit more that I paid for the 360 version ($44.99 with the GameStop coupon) was paid to have it on a disc, and to make the statement that I still want my games on disc.

2. Even if I weren't adverse to downloads otherwise, isn't it supposed to be something like 10gb? Even though my internet connection is reasonably fast, I don't feel like dealing with that.

[quote name='arcane93']I thought about it because I don't care all that much about the pillow cover (note that, for whatever it actually matters, it's not a dakimakura, it's for a standard-sized pillow) or the mousepad either, beyond whatever collector's value they might have later on down the road, but I decided to go with the 360 version for two reasons:

1. I refuse to pay $39.99 for a download-only game. Regardless of how inevitable it may be, I don't want to do anything to support the market going in that direction. For that much money, I want physical media. As far as I'm concerned, the little bit more that I paid for the 360 version was paid to have it on a disc, and to make the statement that I still want my games on disc. (Not to mention that if I end up hating the game, I can at least trade or sell a disc, but with a download I'm screwed.)

2. Even if I weren't adverse to downloads otherwise, isn't it supposed to be something like 10gb? Even though my internet connection is reasonably fast, I don't feel like dealing with that.[/QUOTE]

Well... I'm assuming it's shareable b/c I'm not paying $40 for it either... I don't think iF/Compile Heart is that good of a dev to care about buying every one of their games. I popped in a 500gb HDD and have a decent connection so 10gb isn't too bad for me.

As for the pillow... that's probably worse if it's for a normal sized pillow. Why would you want to use it and ruin it versus just staring at a dakimakura lol :/

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']As for the pillow... that's probably worse if it's for a normal sized pillow. Why would you want to use it and ruin it versus just staring at a dakimakura lol :/[/QUOTE]

Haha, well, either way, I won't be using it, it will be staying stored nicely in its box for whatever collector's value it may eventually have (probably none, but whatever). Heh, even if I wanted to use it, my girlfriend would almost certainly throw fits. Hell, I'm probably taking a risk by even getting this game at all. ;)

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I'm getting this, if only for the titty mousepad.

I can sell the rest of the swag off on here or eBay (the pillow cases are pre-selling for 12,600 yen - $139) . Not sure about the game, if it's good, that's just an additional bonus.

Ordered.[/QUOTE]

lol smart move...well everyone knows titties are ergonomic so the mouse-pad is def worth the $20.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
I don't really want a dakimakura or an oppai mouse pad -.-[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy!

Mine shipped today with Prime, yay!

Mine says shipped with estimated arrival of the 28th, still 2 day shipping but shipped out a day before release to get here the day after.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, even if I wanted to use it, my girlfriend would almost certainly throw fits. Hell, I'm probably taking a risk by even getting this game at all. ;)[/QUOTE]

See, my girlfriend actually really wants to play this game with me. This is why I love my gal. :D

Guess I'll wait for that phone call tomorrow to tell me that my GameStop has my reserve ready to be picked up. Excited!

[quote name='arcane93']
1. I refuse to pay $39.99 for a download-only game. Regardless of how inevitable it may be, I don't want to do anything to support the market going in that direction. For that much money, I want physical media. I like collecting it and I feel more secure about it (a hard drive can crash or a system can fail, and there's no guarantee that the game will be available for re-download later; a disc is much more permanent). Not to mention that if I end up hating the game and don't want to keep it, I can at least trade or sell a disc, but with a download I'm screwed. As far as I'm concerned, the little bit more that I paid for the 360 version ($44.99 with the GameStop coupon) was paid to have it on a disc, and to make the statement that I still want my games on disc.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with your point about downloads not really being ownable. If you download the game, hate it, and would like some value back? You. R. SCREWED.

At least a hard copy has some promise of collector's value, and can be traded if buyer remorse sets in.

[quote name='mitnosi']Any order placed while you have prime you still get the shipping speed selected when order was made. Also mine is being prepared for shipping, does that mean it should show up tomorrow? or in 3 days? Not sure, said 2 days shipping.

EDIT: Also is there no regular 360 version of this game shipping out?[/QUOTE]
Oh no no, I get that I still get the shipping speed I selected, but say last year after my 1-month trial of prime ended in mid 09 games that were shipped with 2-day speed weren't been sent out until Tuesday. The past month since my 3-month trial ran out though has seen Amazon shipping out the games on Monday instead.

Probably won't be any regular copies of the 360 version until the next run of prints.

[quote name='Vortextk']Out of the past 15 or 20 pre-orders from amazon, every single title but like 3 have shipped out monday and gotten to me wednesday, using 2day prime shipping. Those few late ones seem to have been delayed all around like Yakuza 3 as I read gamestop didn't have on release till midday or the next. It's certainly a nice bonus and makes sense if they're already shipping the release day delivery pre-orders, why not get rid of the rest at the same time.[/QUOTE]
I think you're correct. Amazon must have just said "Screw it. Start sending non-release date delivery shipped copies out on Monday too."

bread's done
Back