Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

I am hoping to go in a little while and buy it but I don't have the highest of hopes of finding it. I am excited to get it though. Looks like an amazing game.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you shouldn't have a problem finding this game[/QUOTE]

That's not what Gamestop told me four months ago. They said I'd never find Red Dead Redemption if I didn't preorder it. Same for Alan Wake, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Street Fighter IV...

Wait a minute... ;)

well, for games like 3D Dot Game Heroes that have a limited release, they are actually right for once, but that would be the exception to the rule.

I do know some GS managers that will purposely NOT sell day one to people that do not have it preordered. If I know I want a game day one, I will preorder the game just so I don't have to go searching.

That being said, when has ANYONE had a problem finding a rockstar game when it comes out?

Anyone care to explain Free Roam a little better? The reviews so far have done a shit job of doing so, simply calling it a "lobby" of 16 people who then can take part in a bunch of activities, etc. My question is: by lobby, do they just mean a typical game, or can people actually leave and enter the game at their leisure as long as the host doesn't leave? I wouldn't be all that impressed with Free Roam if once a person left no one could replace him.

My copy has shipped from gamestop.com and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow even though I chose free shipping. Nice. Now the question is will it arrive early or late? Typically we get UPS shipments late, so I guess that. I might take off work on Thursday....

[quote name='ProggleRock']Anyone care to explain Free Roam a little better? The reviews so far have done a shit job of doing so, simply calling it a "lobby" of 16 people who then can take part in a bunch of activities, etc. My question is: by lobby, do they just mean a typical game, or can people actually leave and enter the game at their leisure as long as the host doesn't leave? I wouldn't be all that impressed with Free Roam if once a person left no one could replace him.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive its drop-in/drop-out

Yeah, in free roam people are allowed to drop in and out.
You can try to team-up with other players who join in, to take
on some of the tasks or you can go it alone. In every free roam
I join there is always one person who is just going around killing everyone. This is
an option also, but not much gets accomplished that way

Does anyone know if the old switcheroo will work? I bought copies from Amazon and Best Buy, I already opened my Best Buy copy and the Amazon copy is due to arrive today. I was reading online that the UPC's may be a tad different for store's pre-order game, if so I am absolutely fucked.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']well, for games like 3D Dot Game Heroes that have a limited release, they are actually right for once, but that would be the exception to the rule.

I do know some GS managers that will purposely NOT sell day one to people that do not have it preordered. If I know I want a game day one, I will preorder the game just so I don't have to go searching.

That being said, when has ANYONE had a problem finding a rockstar game when it comes out?[/QUOTE]
3D Dot Game Heroes I have seen around, but in small numbers for sure. It will be a niche game that got great reviews and had a solid following, but will eventually be more than it's current $40 price tag down the line.

As for the GS managers not selling extra copies to someone who didn't pre-order. That's ground for getting fired at Gamestop, when I worked there we were always told sell a copy of the game to anyone who walks in to pick it up at midnight, reserve or not.

We were also told to lie and tell people they had to pre-order games otherwise we wouldn't have enough copies. I actually got in trouble for telling someone the truth by saying we would have extra copies of Madden one year. The only time I would assure people they wanted to pre-order was with collector editions or any sort of Atlus game or any other niche title.

[quote name='Khondor']Yeah, in free roam people are allowed to drop in and out.
You can try to team-up with other players who join in, to take
on some of the tasks or you can go it alone. In every free roam
I join there is always one person who is just going around killing everyone. This is
an option also, but not much gets accomplished that way[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks!

[quote name='Sigma']
We were also told to lie and tell people they had to pre-order games otherwise we wouldn't have enough copies. I actually got in trouble for telling someone the truth by saying we would have extra copies of Madden one year. The only time I would assure people they wanted to pre-order was with collector editions or any sort of Atlus game or any other niche title.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. Seriously. That's retarded of them to make their employees lie like that. I would've done the same.

[quote name='GenPirate']Does anyone know if the old switcheroo will work? I bought copies from Amazon and Best Buy, I already opened my Best Buy copy and the Amazon copy is due to arrive today. I was reading online that the UPC's may be a tad different for store's pre-order game, if so I am absolutely fucked.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll have a problem. The only UPC that is likely different is the Gamestop Limited Edition version. All others should be the same.

At worst, you can throw the thing up on Craigslist. I'm sure you'd get a buyer who'll pay $55 for it.

Well when I went to pick it up the girl seemed overly apologetic to me about the wait almost as if she wanted a mustache ride, so maybe I will be able to pull the unethical switcheroo.

Nuts.
Just got an email reminder from GS that USA Value shipped packages don't have a track & confirm feature.

Guess I should have gone last night.

I accidentally went straight into the multiplayer when I loaded up the game. Two seconds after I spawned, someone was already shooting at me.

Anyone know if the Rockstar code servers are working yet?

Any CAGs want to do multiplayer? I'm going to jump straight into multiplayer right off the bat if it's possible to get some laughs in.

Hopefully I'll be on as soon as 4:30 PM PST. fucking traffic.

[quote name='KrizB']Nuts.
Just got an email reminder from GS that USA Value shipped packages don't have a track & confirm feature.

Guess I should have gone last night.[/QUOTE]

That's nonsense. I ordered Wii Fit Plus and some other games and used the Free Value shipping and I have a tracking number for my shipment. Should be here later today. :)

[quote name='KrizB']Nuts.

Guess I should have gone last night.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? The link they provide is to USPS, but they are shipping UPS. Copy the tracking number and paste it at ups.com. If the numbers starts: 1Z... it's UPS, I believe. It's just a dumb thing their system does - send you a USPS tracking link even when it's UPS.

I can confirm that Best Buy, GameStop, and Amazon all have UNIQUE UPC codes for the game.
(You can tell by the number on the spine too.)
Gamestop: 39813
Best Buy: 39821
Amazon: 39574

Can anyone that picked up the Best Buy or Amazon versions with those numbers verify that the exclusive codes are actually in the package?

[quote name='youbastards']I can confirm that Best Buy, GameStop, and Amazon all have UNIQUE UPC codes for the game.

Can anyone that picked up the Best Buy or Amazon versions with those numbers verify that the exclusive codes are actually in the package?[/QUOTE]

The copy I got from Best Buy have the exclusive pre-order code inside the game case on an insert.

[quote name='GenPirate']The copy I got from Best Buy have the exclusive pre-order code inside the game case on an insert.[/QUOTE]

Was there anything on the front of the case that indicated a Best Buy exclusive?

Can't wait to play tonight after work. First game I've bought at release in along time, thank you Amazon GC and guns code lol. :)

I also did a Walmart switcharoo as usual. Amazon game comes Thursday...

Walmart UPC ends 39574

also free deck of cards. Plain wrapper no stickers on game case. Cards are a under the counter freebie.

[quote name='youbastards']Was there anything on the front of the case that indicated a Best Buy exclusive?[/QUOTE]

Nothing on the case or plastic wrap indicating it was a Best Buy exclusive.

Yeah I pre-ordered from BestBuy and my buddy pre-ordered from GameStop. The GS one came with a slip cover and said special edition on it but the BestBuy one came wtih a regular PS3 case.

Just played for about 2 hours. Game is so fucking badass and great change of pace for the sandbox genre.

I spent half an hour of that time playing poker and won 100 bucks.

[quote name='wwe101']just played for a couple of hours. didnt experiance any auto aim. is it off be defualt?[/QUOTE]
Try changing aiming mode to Casual in options

[quote name='Eyecue']I cannot get my code for the war horse to work. I keep getting a "Failed to connect to Rockstar" msg :([/QUOTE]

Eyecue, PM that code to me and I'll check it out for ya ;)

yeah its after work and i still didnt get my package yet, come on amazon/UPS dont fail me now. when i ordered splinter cell it was waiting with bells on. watch them dick around and make me the last stop so it'll be like 7pm. the suspense is literally killing me guys. in the mean time i need to free up some HD space so i can install it, i can imagine because its the GTA4 engine that it sounds like your disc drive will explode from spinning so much. im getting some beers and this will be my whole night.

[quote name='TheJerseyKush']just got mine in the mail, how did you guys who bought from amazon receive your code? was it via e-mail?[/QUOTE]

open the box or the case.

Anybody else having problems with free roam? I cant get on and it keeps giving me error message that you have been disconnected. Taking forever.

There was also an updated today when I loaded up the game the second time.

Amazon emails the codes.

Free roam loading screen has been loading for 2 minutes now.

5 minute wait now to get into free roam. Multiplayer is glitched so far. Rockstar better fix this quick. fucking bullshit.

Well if you do not get a code from Amazon after a couple of days, email CS and complain. Usually they will send the email or offer a refund.

I waited 10 minutes to get into free roam before quitting. Seems like an absolute fucking mess so far.

[quote name='youbastards']I can confirm that Best Buy, GameStop, and Amazon all have UNIQUE UPC codes for the game.

Can anyone that picked up the Best Buy or Amazon versions with those numbers verify that the exclusive codes are actually in the package?[/QUOTE]

My Amazon copy is 39825. Bonus code included in the case. (XBOX)

bread's done
Back