Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare out now!

[quote name='enufs8d']ylod playing rdr. looks like im down for a while. suggestions? 60g ps3.[/QUOTE]

damn that sucks, i know how you feel mine died in april 80gb : /

Finished up the SP. I have to say the last section was a chore to get through. They basically killed all the momentum in the game.

This game is getting a lot higher praise than I think it deserves. (People are calling it the best game this gen, WTF?) They made some big improvements from GTA but let's be honest it's still the same basic formula. I enjoyed playing through most of the missions but there's still a great deal of tedium that Rockstar likes to insert in these games.

[quote name='Darknyss']Finished up the SP. I have to say the last section was a chore to get through. They basically killed all the momentum in the game.[/QUOTE]
Was just coming to post this since I hated the ending. It was completely unnecessary to drag the game on like that for the finale, but I understand why they did it. Really takes the wind out of your sails though. I don't understand why reviewers seem to lose all reason when it's a R* game, but they sure turned a blind eye to a myriad of flaws. The game is definitely worth playing, if just for the vistas, but it was far from polished.

If anything, my biggest complaint would be the horse. I think he was purposefully programed to get you killed by spawning super far away when you whistle and then RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU when you try to mount. fuck the horses in this game right in the ass.
[quote name='SEH']Christ does this game start slow. Been playing for over an hour and I'm ready to fall asleep.[/QUOTE]
Wait til you get to Mexico; the entire place is just filler and does nothing to advance the story.

[quote name='Jodou']Was just coming to post this since I hated the ending. It was completely unnecessary to drag the game on like that for the finale, but I understand why they did it. Really takes the wind out of your sails though. I don't understand why reviewers seem to lose all reason when it's a R* game, but they sure turned a blind eye to a myriad of flaws. The game is definitely worth playing, if just for the vistas, but it was far from polished.

If anything, my biggest complaint would be the horse. I think he was purposefully programed to get you killed by spawning super far away when you whistle and then RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU when you try to mount. fuck the horses in this game right in the ass.

Wait til you get to Mexico; the entire place is just filler and does nothing to advance the story.[/QUOTE]

because if theyed told the absolute truth most of us would have waited and gotten this used. i know i would have damn they got over on alot of people with those videos. matter of fact if i remember correctly you never see anybody climb on anything in those vids and i hate the way your character cimbs it just seems weird. this will be the last time i pay full price for a rockstar product.

of course if you could kill off some of the annoying people in the game like
bonnie
id forgive them. serioulsy shes the most annoying judgemental bitch ive ever seen in a game.

[quote name='lokizz']matter of fact if i remember correctly you never see anybody climb on anything in those vids and i hate the way your character cimbs it just seems weird.[/QUOTE]
I can't remember, but I think there's actually a climbing tutorial for one of the last missions of the game lol. It's so incredibly awkward too, but I guess that's why you do very little of it. My first try I ended up leaping off the cliff just because I was moving at the time. It's stupid shit like this that makes the game incredibly frustrating and just kills the fun.

Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb tweeted.

[quote name='Ryan Davis']"There is some cool stuff in this game, but Red Dead Redemption is one of the most buggy-insane retail games I've seen in years."[/QUOTE]

Currently in Mexico and decided to finally be bad and go on a killing spree. Only up to a $5,000 bounty so far, this will be my "BADMAN" save file. Wanna know the funny part? The perfect camping place is inside a Church. Religion be damned.

Anybody who actually learned how to play the game and wants to enjoy some hardcore tdm hit me up. The competive multiplayer is really fun if you are any good and you don't get kicked. It is really sad to see people playing competively with auto aim if they have any hand eye cordination at all. The only problem i have is that the highpowered pistol and the automatic pistols seem to have the range of a rifle which is just stupid. I don't like the levels where you don't get a rifle from the start but they give everyone a semi auto pistol. The thing is bascially like a machine gun and you can go running around like rambo. After a few days playing i got used to it but a handgun shouldnt be the best weapon in the game.
Sadly my ps3 constantly goes into rocket mode with this game. When i tried to give it some relief by placing it vertical it just got louder and i could hear the disc even more, almost like a grinding noise on my brand new ps3.:cry:
I'd love to hear what games people like over this one cause i find it rather funny when people complain about the fun factor in this game.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Anybody who actually learned how to play the game and wants to enjoy some hardcore tdm hit me up. The competive multiplayer is really fun if you are any good and you don't get kicked. It is really sad to see people playing competively with auto aim if they have any hand eye cordination at all. The only problem i have is that the highpowered pistol and the automatic pistols seem to have the range of a rifle which is just stupid. I don't like the levels where you don't get a rifle from the start but they give everyone a semi auto pistol. The thing is bascially like a machine gun and you can go running around like rambo. After a few days playing i got used to it but a handgun shouldnt be the best weapon in the game.
Sadly my ps3 constantly goes into rocket mode with this game. When i tried to give it some relief by placing it vertical it just got louder and i could hear the disc even more, almost like a grinding noise on my brand new ps3.:cry:
I'd love to hear what games people like over this one cause i find it rather funny when people complain about the fun factor in this game.[/QUOTE]
It makes my PS3(slim) and my one friends' families(fat 40gb) PS3 run in 'rocket mode' too, so I think it does that universally across all models of the PS3.

As far as the multiplayer goes, I haven't even tried the other modes besides Free Roam and I doubt I will since it seems like Rockstar simply cloned most of the GTA modes for RDR.

LOL There always has to be ONE person to say the fan on their system doesn't kick into overdrive when playing a game that many others say does cause that issue.

How far away from your PS3 do you sit though, SEH? I ask because when I play I'm sitting literally maybe 3-5 feet from the PS3, so maybe it just sounds louder to me, though even the GTA Episodes have done this to my PS3(and God Of War 3).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL There always has to be ONE person to say the fan on their system doesn't kick into overdrive when playing a game that many others say does cause that issue.

How far away from your PS3 do you sit though, SEH? I ask because when I play I'm sitting literally maybe 3-5 feet from the PS3, so maybe it just sounds louder to me, though even the GTA Episodes have done this to my PS3(and God Of War 3).[/QUOTE]

mine doesnt for single player but it always does for multiplayer.

Quick question. I hope someone in this thread has an answer for it.

If I use the Deadly Assassin/soundtrack code ONLY on Rockstar's website, can I still trade the Deadly Assassin outfit portion of the code voucher to someone else and have it work on their PS3 to allow the unlocking of the outfit.

I'm probably going to shoot Rockstar an email regarding this as well just to be on the safe side, but I want the soundtrack and hopefully if I can get the tracks downloaded I can get a friend of mine to make me a physical CD version of the soundtrack.

I just want to know that I wouldn't be screwing myself and another CAG over by using the code on the R* website and possibly voiding it completely.

[quote name='Darknyss']Finished up the SP. I have to say the last section was a chore to get through. They basically killed all the momentum in the game.

This game is getting a lot higher praise than I think it deserves. (People are calling it the best game this gen, WTF?) They made some big improvements from GTA but let's be honest it's still the same basic formula. I enjoyed playing through most of the missions but there's still a great deal of tedium that Rockstar likes to insert in these games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SEH']Christ does this game start slow. Been playing for over an hour and I'm ready to fall asleep.[/QUOTE]

Ritalin, give it a try!

Just got this game. Definitely wasn't expecting what I got and see myself wasting a lot of time on this game with some buddies.

Anybody got any of the exclusive codes dispatched in e-mail? I bought it spur of the moment so I didn't take advantage of any deals :( (IE: Golden guns/outfit/etc) Just shoot me a pm

[quote name='wealthyassgamer']Just got this game. Definitely wasn't expecting what I got and see myself wasting a lot of time on this game with some buddies.

Anybody got any of the exclusive codes dispatched in e-mail? I bought it spur of the moment so I didn't take advantage of any deals :( (IE: Golden guns/outfit/etc) Just shoot me a pm[/QUOTE]

theres a post with people tradin those items in the master trade list forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262370

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL There always has to be ONE person to say the fan on their system doesn't kick into overdrive when playing a game that many others say does cause that issue.

How far away from your PS3 do you sit though, SEH? I ask because when I play I'm sitting literally maybe 3-5 feet from the PS3, so maybe it just sounds louder to me, though even the GTA Episodes have done this to my PS3(and God Of War 3).[/QUOTE]

I'm literally about two feet away from the PS3 when I play.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ritalin, give it a try![/QUOTE]

I have plenty of patience. The game starts slow as hell though. In the first hour, you probably play for a total of 15 minutes while the other 45 is spent listening to people talk. I get that they're setting shit up, but a little more interactivity would've been nice.

[quote name='SEH']I'm literally about two feet away from the PS3 when I play.[/QUOTE]

As am I. I have my PS3 slim the same place I used to have my PS3 phat, up on top of a wooden table, with all sides exposed to the open air to provide for alot of ventilation.

Yet I still get the high speed fan on RDR and the GTA games, as well as God Of War 3 when I had it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As am I. I have my PS3 slim the same place I used to have my PS3 phat, up on top of a wooden table, with all sides exposed to the open air to provide for alot of ventilation.

Yet I still get the high speed fan on RDR and the GTA games, as well as God Of War 3 when I had it.[/QUOTE]

Weird. Mine sits on top of my display shelf right under the TV. Like yours, all the sides are open so it gets plenty of air. I've never once had my PS3 go into "rocket mode" for any game.

I have an old 40GB fatty and it doesn't do it for me. I also sit about 2-3 ft away from my ps3.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But it hasn't happened to me :/

So I think this game is slowly killing my PS3. I have devoted an ungodly amount to it and have actually played for 4-5 hours straight (which is a lot for me). Now the game freezes all the time.

I'm not sure if it's just the general glitchiness of the game or if it's my PS3. On Saturday, for instance, I could not "travel" via the campfire without the game crashing.

Looks like a Slim may be in my future.

When you're playing this game on your PS3, does the fan kick on really, really high speed? I ask because several of us with slim PS3's have noticed this on this game(as well as God Of War 3 and other games too).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']When you're playing this game on your PS3, does the fan kick on really, really high speed? I ask because several of us with slim PS3's have noticed this on this game(as well as God Of War 3 and other games too).[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've heard that is the case. However, my fans don't really turn on full blast. (Maybe that's my problem).

rant warning.

Am I the only one that is REALLY annoyed that some of the houses have mirrors, but they don't cast reflections? I mean, i didn't know this was about vampires...

Seriously though-- every 3D game I can think of has working mirrors (Mario64, Resident Evil, etc) if you don't want to program a game to reflect things properly-- don't put mirrors in the rooms. I wouldn't have missed them!

the game is flawed in alot of ways yeah the sp can be fun but depending on your mood you can either look past the mistakes or get annoyed by them. btw what did they do for memorial day?

[quote name='nbballard']rant warning.

Am I the only one that is REALLY annoyed that some of the houses have mirrors, but they don't cast reflections? I mean, i didn't know this was about vampires...

Seriously though-- every 3D game I can think of has working mirrors (Mario64, Resident Evil, etc) if you don't want to program a game to reflect things properly-- don't put mirrors in the rooms. I wouldn't have missed them![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just noticed that while I was doing free roam and clearing out Tumbleweed. In the mansion, there is a mirror that reflects the room as you pan the camera but not my gringo. Kinda weird but no biggie.

Speaking of free roam, am I missing something? I did 3 hideouts and about 10-12 journal challenges and I'm at a loss as to what to do, exactly? Is that all, apart from competitive multiplayer? I mean, we just keep doing challenges (like in SP) and re-clear hideouts? What's the appeal? I'm lvl 12 and I must be missing something since there isn't a whole lot to do.

On a side note, I stopped playing sp since I am currently experiencing the "infamous" Mo Van Barr not spawning glitch for the Deadly Assasin outfit. R* is apparently aware of the problem and is working on a patch. Anyone else manage to actually get it, or are you missing it as well? I'm trying not to get pissed but I'm really tired of pre-order bonuses not working the way they're supposed to (or at all...I'm looking at you Fable 2). I'm not going to let that shit sway my decision anymore. I should have gone with the warhorse or the golden guns.

[quote name='carbontiger']Yeah, I just noticed that while I was doing free roam and clearing out Tumbleweed. In the mansion, there is a mirror that reflects the room as you pan the camera but not my gringo. Kinda weird but no biggie.

Speaking of free roam, am I missing something? I did 3 hideouts and about 10-12 journal challenges and I'm at a loss as to what to do, exactly? Is that all, apart from competitive multiplayer? I mean, we just keep doing challenges (like in SP) and re-clear hideouts? What's the appeal? I'm lvl 12 and I must be missing something since there isn't a whole lot to do.

On a side note, I stopped playing sp since I am currently experiencing the "infamous" Mo Van Barr not spawning glitch for the Deadly Assasin outfit. R* is apparently aware of the problem and is working on a patch. Anyone else manage to actually get it, or are you missing it as well? I'm trying not to get pissed but I'm really tired of pre-order bonuses not working the way they're supposed to (or at all...I'm looking at you Fable 2). I'm not going to let that shit sway my decision anymore. I should have gone with the warhorse or the golden guns.[/QUOTE]

alot of the mp challenges are ust the same thing only slightly diff. theres a version 1 and a version 2.last time i played it i was doin the version 2 part of the one where you have to clear out 2 specific hideouts without dying.hard to do alone for some , especially that cheapass mine, but yeah it all kinda comes off as busy work with no real meaning. especially the plant collecting.

[quote name='lokizz']the game is flawed in alot of ways yeah the sp can be fun but depending on your mood you can either look past the mistakes or get annoyed by them. btw what did they do for memorial day?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought the co-op missions were supposed to come out yesterday? I saw they added the trophies for them already.

[quote name='lokizz']alot of the mp challenges are ust the same thing only slightly diff. theres a version 1 and a version 2.last time i played it i was doin the version 2 part of the one where you have to clear out 2 specific hideouts without dying.hard to do alone for some , especially that cheapass mine, but yeah it all kinda comes off as busy work with no real meaning. especially the plant collecting.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, that's how ALOT of games(GTA games seemed to start it though, I think)seem to pad their completion hour numbers to say that they have a ton of stuff to do.

I liked the swimming in San Andreas to collect the hidden items at the bottom of the ocean, since they were challenging, but many of these seem to just be fluff side missions and quit tiresome and boring after a while.

So I started making up my own mini games, like seeing if I can get my horse to crush me when it comes flying over the side of the canyon when I whistle for it at the bottom.;)

Yes. It's sadistic, but do you know how many times one of my horses has ran past me when I was on the walls of the canyon and trotted to its death?:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately, that's how ALOT of games(GTA games seemed to start it though, I think)seem to pad their completion hour numbers to say that they have a ton of stuff to do.

I liked the swimming in San Andreas to collect the hidden items at the bottom of the ocean, since they were challenging, but many of these seem to just be fluff side missions and quit tiresome and boring after a while.

So I started making up my own mini games, like seeing if I can get my horse to crush me when it comes flying over the side of the canyon when I whistle for it at the bottom.;)

Yes. It's sadistic, but do you know how many times one of my horses has ran past me when I was on the walls of the canyon and trotted to its death?:cry:[/QUOTE]

the fucking horses in this game are retarted. ive shot plenty of them in rage because when you need them the most they go off and do whatever the fuck they want. especially when i was doing the mp animal hunting. theres nothing worse than being stuck in that cabin surrounded by bobcats or stuck in bear country with your horse way off in the distance ignoring your whistle.

which i think its odd that you cant whistle for them if your in a building but they can magically find you anywhere you are. and why cant you climb on top of the bobcat cabin? or why is it your horse can jump fences but he has to go around rocks on the round or he cant jump down but so far without dying?

[quote name='lokizz']the fucking horses in this game are retarted. ive shot plenty of them in rage because when you need them the most they go off and do whatever the fuck they want. especially when i was doing the mp animal hunting. theres nothing worse than being stuck in that cabin surrounded by bobcats or stuck in bear country with your horse way off in the distance ignoring your whistle.

which i think its odd that you cant whistle for them if your in a building but they can magically find you anywhere you are. and why cant you climb on top of the bobcat cabin? or why is it your horse can jump fences but he has to go around rocks on the round or he cant jump down but so far without dying?[/QUOTE]

I agree about the horses. I dismounted to check something out and when I turned around my horse had magically warped off to where I had to whistle for him again and he had to come running up.

Then he ran past me by about 200 feet and I had to run after him. So I've started spamming the triangle button to hop on while he's still moving and it works about 40% of the time.

As far as the cougars go, I had like 4-6 of them on my ass the one night. They come out of nowhere and just stalk you and will keep following you forever if you keep just barely ahead of them.

The other night my one friend who I hopped on to play some mp with had like 5-7 bears chasing him while he was on his horse. It was insane.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately, that's how ALOT of games(GTA games seemed to start it though, I think)seem to pad their completion hour numbers to say that they have a ton of stuff to do.

Yes. It's sadistic, but do you know how many times one of my horses has ran past me when I was on the walls of the canyon and trotted to its death?:cry:[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did yesterday. I was hunting elk near tall trees and decided to climb to the highest snow peak I could find then I decided to fling myself over the side over and over again (there is a challenge for that..fall to your death 25x). Sometimes with my horse. Gawd, I miss San Andreas.

The bears in this game are genuinely scary. I though cougars were bad. Sheesh. I was looking for elk and someone on gamefaqs mentioned that he saw a lot near the Bearclaw Camp. So I head over there. Needless to say, there's a reason its called bearclaw camp. I think I hightailed it out of there with 5 bears chasing me.

You just seemed to be really enjoying Free Roam so I though I was missing some other things to do. I guess I'm not alone. They definitely have the carrot on a stick/WoW system in place to gain levels, earn skins and mounts. Its the only reason to keep going.

[quote name='carbontiger']Thats what I did yesterday. I was hunting elk near tall trees and decided to climb to the highest snow peak I could find then I decided to fling myself over the side over and over again (there is a challenge for that..fall to your death 25x). Sometimes with my horse. Gawd, I miss San Andreas.

The bears in this game are genuinely scary. I though cougars were bad. Sheesh. I was looking for elk and someone on gamefaqs mentioned that he saw a lot near the Bearclaw Camp. So I head over there. Needless to say, there's a reason its called bearclaw camp. I think I hightailed it out of there with 5 bears chasing me.

You just seemed to be really enjoying Free Roam so I though I was missing some other things to do. I guess I'm not alone. They definitely have the carrot on a stick/WoW system in place to gain levels, earn skins and mounts. Its the only reason to keep going.[/QUOTE]
My one buddy was playing this last week and he went to do the end of the American Appetites missions. Then he stopped off to pick some pretty flowers.....and got mauled by like 4 cougars out of nowhere.

So every time the game was really, really quiet I'd yell cougar and make him jump and pan the camera around.:lol:

The cougars took down his horse first, then they ganged up on him. It was pretty sick.

I wish there were a trophy for falling to your death in GTA, since I did that ALOT. I would get bored of doing cop rampages, so I'd bail out of my car and see if I could faceplant my avatar into an oncoming cars grill.:lol:

speaking of Bears, anyone see that half demolished cabin up in tall trees?
I got ambushed by a bear and my horse got killed shot him and then two more came so I ducked into that and soon there were more bears circling the place like sharks.. it was like being on a raft.. easy to shoot but if you tried to whistle for your horse you got one of those "Sorry you horse doesn't see you in the location warning"

funny the Bears also couldn't enter the door way but clearly they fit through the hole guess they're claustrophobic

[quote name='Romis']speaking of Bears, anyone see that half demolished cabin up in tall trees?
I got ambushed by a bear and my horse got killed shot him and then two more came so I ducked into that and soon there were more bears circling the place like sharks.. it was like being on a raft.. easy to shoot but if you tried to whistle for your horse you got one of those "Sorry you horse doesn't see you in the location warning"

funny the Bears also couldn't enter the door way but clearly they fit through the hole guess they're claustrophobic
[/QUOTE]

same thing happens at the cabin where theres tons of cougars. you can go inside and shoot at them from there but they never come in even though they can easily fit inside.

you know what this game really needs? freakin zombies. itd be fun to kill zombies on horseback.

Anybody get all the treasures yet? I think I'm stuck on lvl 8 - says it's in a place called nuevo (something) but I can't find it on the map anywhere. :(

EDIT:
Oh also, what are the PS Home unlockables, besides the Sombrero?

it sure seems like they have set up the game to were it is hard as H#LL to find that one animal you need to complete your challenge, and usually they are all over the place..

I can't find any more armadillos.. not in even near Armadillo.. and I can't get to Mexico yet not that far in the SP..

It's almost as if there's some sort of 'Secret Underground Armadillo Hideout" they're all in cause they know I'm gunning for 1 more of their fellow brothern

[quote name='Sinistar']Anybody get all the treasures yet? I think I'm stuck on lvl 8 - says it's in a place called nuevo (something) but I can't find it on the map anywhere. :([/QUOTE]
That 'Nuevo' place is all of Mexico.
[quote name='Romis']It's almost as if there's some sort of 'Secret Underground Armadillo Hideout" they're all in cause they know I'm gunning for 1 more of their fellow brothern[/QUOTE]
If you zoom out the map to a certain point, it shows good hunting grounds for each animal. I felt pretty stupid once I figured that out since I just assumed it was part of the map as decor. . .

So playing through free roam, just grinding legendary+ and this dude hops on my mount. Super cool story I know, except that I was on it at the time lol. We end up clipping through each other and BOTH having control of the horse. Eventually I wonder what would happen if I killed the horse, but of course it kills the other guy and I end up losing control of the horse all together. Next thing I know, this horse rockets towards where he spawns and I end up being flung about halfway to Mexico. This game has some of the most hilarious bugs I've ever seen lol.

BTW, is anyone doing trophy boosting? It's harder than you'd think to find a free roam full of 8+ people, let alone getting them all to join your posse right quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else think it is crazy how the police just put a bullet in the head of the criminals when you bring them to them alive (random mission to return/kill runway criminals)? I stopped hogtie'n them up and just drag them behind the horse up to their death by deputy lol.

Also I was trying to give a woman a ride back to town (no clue why it choose the FURTHER town from where I was...) and bandits kept attacking. Finally she jumped off screaming because I "threatened her"??? What was up with that..? I was killing the bandits, mainly.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Anyone else think it is crazy how the police just put a bullet in the head of the criminals when you bring them to them alive (random mission to return/kill runway criminals)? I stopped hogtie'n them up and just drag them behind the horse up to their death by deputy lol.

Also I was trying to give a woman a ride back to town (no clue why it choose the FURTHER town from where I was...) and bandits kept attacking. Finally she jumped off screaming because I "threatened her"??? What was up with that..? I was killing the bandits, mainly.[/QUOTE]

i lost a stranger mission like that didnt even know he was there when some coyotes attacked me so i pulled out my gun to kill them when i hear this guy whining about me threatening him and he ran off.

I personally don't care if I 100% the game, as I'm just having too much fun just roaming around the vast open spaces in between missions. Well....except for when 4-6 cougars or bears maul my horse to death and then do the same to me. That still sucks.

[quote name='Jodou']BTW, is anyone doing trophy boosting? It's harder than you'd think to find a free roam full of 8+ people, let alone getting them all to join your posse right quick.[/QUOTE]

We should set up a CAG night for this. :)

[quote name='Sinistar']We should set up a CAG night for this. :)[/QUOTE]
I'm down whenever; just need the two PvP trophies and the posse up one to plat.

bread's done
Back