Red Tails: Out now....Also the black actor discussion thread

As a black guy who really would love to see more movies about any minority playing a part in large parts of American history I am dead set on seeing this opening day at primetime just so I can give them as much money as I can.

Hell I might even buy a plush doll.

Uhh, its made from LucasFilms and the trailer is cut in the same way any other action movie is. Thats a pretty harsh comment based on what? Because there is colored folks in it?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Tyler Perry's Top Gun[/QUOTE]

WTF???

[quote name='Soodmeg']Uhh, its made from LucasFilms and the trailer is cut in the same way any other action movie is. Thats a pretty harsh comment based on what? Because there is colored folks in it?[/QUOTE]

LMAO yeah, pitfallharry219 is just one of many ignorant people who will show their true colors (so to speak) on this topic.

Anyway, I am also interested in it due to the content, it's an unknown story that is seldom told. Aaron McGruder also co-wrote the screenplay and I know this story is a passion of his. I love and support all his works.

IMDB states that this is George Lucas' first writing credit since Radioland Murders that is not associated with Star Wars or Indiana Jones. He was also set to direct at one point so I guess that makes him the non-colored Tyler Perry :roll:?

I'll see just about any film that includes Bryan Cranston. Terrence Howard is good at what he does. Not a fan of Cuba Gooding, Jr., though.

I like the connectivity it has with Hart's War, same Tuskegee PoW actors, would be cool if it ended where they first showed up in Hart's War.

Was interested, until I saw Terrence Howard is in it. But it can't be worse than Cuba Gooding Jr., who hasn't been able to act for shit under any other director than John Singleton.

Damnit George Lucas. God damnit. If Spielberg had created this film or had a part in it, it would of been amazing. They should of gone more Saving Private Ryan, than whatever that was that I just watched.

This film could of been amazing. It had its moments. But the editing is awful, the music is awful and the film just doesnt stick together well enough. The fighting sequences are great minus the opening scene which was just terrible; I think it even had some star wars sound effects in it, no joke.

that movie looks like shit and it kills me when it comes to these kinds of flicks they always use the same damn black actors.had no idea lucas was behind it that explains alot.

[quote name='lokizz']that movie looks like shit and it kills me when it comes to these kinds of flicks they always use the same damn black actors.had no idea lucas was behind it that explains alot.[/QUOTE]

Cuba Gooding, Jr. isn't even one of the top seven *black* actors credited in the movie. You need some faces that the masses recognize to bring in the audience, but how are these guys the "same damn black actors":

Nate Parker
Tristan Wilds
Elijah Kelly
Leslie Odom, Jr.
Kevin Phillips
Method Man
Okezie Morro
Ami Ameen

Every one of those guys (and more) are credited before Cuba Gooding, Jr.

[quote name='bburpee']Cuba Gooding, Jr. isn't even one of the top seven *black* actors credited in the movie. You need some faces that the masses recognize to bring in the audience, but how are these guys the "same damn black actors":

Nate Parker
Tristan Wilds
Elijah Kelly
Leslie Odom, Jr.
Kevin Phillips
Method Man
Okezie Morro
Ami Ameen

Every one of those guys (and more) are credited before Cuba Gooding, Jr.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you haven't seen the OFFICIAL POSTER for the movie?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red-tails/

He has the first name on the poster cause he and Terrance are the only famous ones in it. His part in the movie is the smallest of all the others listed. And to anyone who thought this movie was going to be good is just silly. It's got Cuba in it for the love of god! HE IS AWFUL!!! And saying this movie is George Lucas is like saying The Orphanage was Guillermo Del Toro... just cause someone produces/writes it doesn't mean it will have their thumb print on it. Nuff said

Cuba Gooding Jr wasn't that problem. The actors were fine. The writing, editing, music, and overall direction of the film was bad. Not the acting. If anything, the white guys in the bombers were the bad actors.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Perhaps you haven't seen the OFFICIAL POSTER for the movie?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red-tails/[/QUOTE]

not to mention the actual tv trailer its the faces( actors) theyre using to hopefully draw in the people and yes its the same damn black actors they tend to use in hollywood films these days.

[quote name='Thrice5']He has the first name on the poster cause he and Terrance are the only famous ones in it. His part in the movie is the smallest of all the others listed. And to anyone who thought this movie was going to be good is just silly. It's got Cuba in it for the love of god! HE IS AWFUL!!! And saying this movie is George Lucas is like saying The Orphanage was Guillermo Del Toro... just cause someone produces/writes it doesn't mean it will have their thumb print on it. Nuff said[/QUOTE]

he was good in radio and from what ive heard also in jerry mcguire ( never seen that one but oddly enough i know everything there is to know about it) couldnt stand him in boys in the hood or that judgement night movie.

[quote name='lokizz']he was good in radio and from what ive heard also in jerry mcguire ( never seen that one but oddly enough i know everything there is to know about it) couldnt stand him in boys in the hood or that judgement night movie.[/QUOTE]

In the last few years he was basically in a much of direct to DVD movies.

[quote name='62t']In the last few years he was basically in a much of direct to DVD movies.[/QUOTE]

That's what happens when you star in garbage such as Boat Trip and Daddy Day Camp.

Don't forget

snow-dogs-movie.jpg

[quote name='themaster20000']That's what happens when you star in garbage such as Boat Trip and Daddy Day Camp.[/QUOTE]

Never really understood what happened to his career. He won the Oscar for Jerry Maguire, which should've been enough to serve as a launching pad for his career. After, he had some parts in decent movies (As Good as It Gets, Men of Honor, etc.), yet never in any leading role. Then, a few years later, he's relegated to doing movies like Snow Dogs and Norbit. I've often wondered if he just has a horrible agent or does a poor job of picking scripts.

[quote name='Cantatus']Never really understood what happened to his career. He won the Oscar for Jerry Maguire, which should've been enough to serve as a launching pad for his career. After, he had some parts in decent movies (As Good as It Gets, Men of Honor, etc.), yet never in any leading role. Then, a few years later, he's relegated to doing movies like Snow Dogs and Norbit. I've often wondered if he just has a horrible agent or does a poor job of picking scripts.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it obvious? If you're a black man and your name isn't Will, Denzel or Samuel, it's extremely difficult to get the lead in a major motion picture.

From what everyone seems to be saying, it seems like this; [quote name='pitfallharry219']Tyler Perry's Top Gun[/QUOTE] would have been a better movie.

At least then they could have licensed a game to go along with it. Something along the lines of Madea's Family Flight Simulator 1943 perhaps?

[quote name='seanr1221']Isn't it obvious? If you're a black man and your name isn't Will, Denzel or Samuel, it's extremely difficult to get the lead in a major motion picture.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was about to point out something about Samuel L. Jackson specifically. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his acting but his script choices are downright atrocious sometimes. The guy has been in some absolutely garbage movies but yet he can jump right back into a headlining role (Avengers). Then, like someone pointed out with Cuba Gooding Jr., the guy wins an Oscar, makes a couple of questionable script choices, and bam suddenly any headlining role offers are gone.

As for Will Smith, I'm still baffled how that guy went from the goofy main character of Fresh Prince to one of Hollywood's "it" guys. Don't get me wrong, it's not that he doesn't deserve it (I still maintain his acting in the first 1/2 of I Am Legend is amazing) but how the hell he managed that type of career shift is beyond me.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']As for Will Smith, I'm still baffled how that guy went from the goofy main character of Fresh Prince to one of Hollywood's "it" guys. Don't get me wrong, it's not that he doesn't deserve it (I still maintain his acting in the first 1/2 of I Am Legend is amazing) but how the hell he managed that type of career shift is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

He was doing some dramatic stuff in the middle of his Fresh Prince run. I know he got pretty good reviews in Six Degrees of Separation, which came out in 1993 I think. He showed he had range very early on in his career.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']He was doing some dramatic stuff in the middle of his Fresh Prince run. I know he got pretty good reviews in Six Degrees of Separation, which came out in 1993 I think. He showed he had range very early on in his career.[/QUOTE]

Great movie. Shame he gave up acting so that he could ruin scifi classics.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']He was doing some dramatic stuff in the middle of his Fresh Prince run. I know he got pretty good reviews in Six Degrees of Separation, which came out in 1993 I think. He showed he had range very early on in his career.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think this scene in particular from Fresh Prince is what solidified him as an actor at that age. It had the whole live audience in tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MKS4sM1KE&feature=related

[quote name='seanr1221']Isn't it obvious? If you're a black man and your name isn't Will, Denzel or Samuel, it's extremely difficult to get the lead in a major motion picture.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be the case with lead roles, sadly, but he can't even seem to get supporting roles in decent movies anymore.

[quote name='seanr1221']I've heard Samuel rarely turns down a script.[/QUOTE]

And that's helped him become the highest grossing actor of all-time. Go figure.

[quote name='seanr1221']I've heard Samuel rarely turns down a script.[/QUOTE]

his career did drop off for a while and then , like john travolta, they got lucky with pulp fiction and their careers came back to life.i think thats part of why he wont turn down anything because he did hit the bottom and now that hes back up hes like fuck it id rather do anything and get paid then be selective and struggle.

ice t is the same way i remember an interview he did saying something about how youve got to be stupid to turn down 50,000 dollars for doing a movie o matter how good or bad it is ( that was around when he first started acting and was doing alot of direct to video or indie stuff).

theres also alot of rumors that youve got to do things to get ahead in hollywood especially for men.

[quote name='GUNNM']Don't the pilots say slang from this era in the movie as well?[/QUOTE]

i hate when they do that in movies even in comedies its just so fucking annoying. or when they get old people to do it.

[quote name='lokizz']i hate when they do that in movies even in comedies its just so fucking annoying. or when they get old people to do it.[/QUOTE]
Will Smith in Independence day ''awww no you didn't just shoot that green shit at me'' and hes a military pilot. Or his ''welcome to earf'' have always nagged me.

[quote name='GUNNM']Will Smith in Independence day ''awww no you didn't just shoot that green shit at me'' and hes a military pilot. Or his ''welcome to earf'' have always nagged me.[/QUOTE]

that fucker is the worst offender he always does the same damn shit in his films his performances pretty much all feel the same.

[quote name='lokizz']that fucker is the worst offender he always does the same damn shit in his films his performances pretty much all feel the same.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. The only movie that he really impressed me was Six Degrees of Seperation. After that, its the same guy in every movie.

There is another (ahem) rapper-turned-movie star that had the same problem: Mark (Marky Mark) Walburg. He was impressive in Boogie Nights but he is the same fucking guy in every movie afterwards.

[quote name='camoor']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAAbbuEpnw

acting

Oh wait - were you being serious about Boogie Nights?[/QUOTE]

Boogie Nights is great, don't know if Whalberg was. He was pretty good in the Fighter.

The funny thing is, he recently said in an interview if the role came along today, he probably wouldn't take "Boogie Nights" based on his current family situation. :roll:

it's acting for a reason guys.

oh man marky mark is crap i havent seen one movie hes been in that i liked.and on the topic of will smith bagger vance was a good film but mostly because he was dialed back and there wasnt any way for him to shoehorn in some slang. and all the other great actresses and actors didnt hurt things either.

its like with robin williams less , waaaaaaaaaaaay less) is alot more when theyre allowed to just be free and do what they do its hard to watch.

martin lawrence is another offender as well.

[quote name='lokizz']oh man marky mark is crap i havent seen one movie hes been in that i liked.[/QUOTE]

The Departed

[quote name='lokizz']that fucker is the worst offender he always does the same damn shit in his films his performances pretty much all feel the same.[/QUOTE]

He has 3 different roles/types

The Pursuit of Happyness
Wild Wild West/Men in Black
I-Robot/I am legend

[quote name='lokizz']oh man marky mark is crap i havent seen one movie hes been in that i liked.and on the topic of will smith bagger vance was a good film but mostly because he was dialed back and there wasnt any way for him to shoehorn in some slang. and all the other great actresses and actors didnt hurt things either.http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=9313189

its like with robin williams less , waaaaaaaaaaaay less) is alot more when theyre allowed to just be free and do what they do its hard to watch.

martin lawrence is another offender as well.[/QUOTE]

I Heart Huckabees? The Other Guys?? The Departed? Three Kings?? The Fighter?

[quote name='slickkill77']He has 3 different roles/types

The Pursuit of Happyness
Wild Wild West/Men in Black
I-Robot/I am legend[/QUOTE]

Where does Ali fit in there?

bread's done
Back