Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkslime']I'm almost always able to sell them to a local store that buys guides for $.50-$4.00 each in trade credit. There are 3 different locations, so one almost always takes them.

Or a mom & pop shop will buy them too, but they're a last resort because I feel bad ripping them off, since they're so nice, and give me great deals on CDs.

There are a couple guides that I haven't been able to get rid of though, madden 08 for example. There are 24 in my shed. I sold a few a week before madden 09 came out for 5 bucks in credit each but got more right after it came out and nobody will buy them.[/quote]

I wish my local stores gave me that much for my guides, though I was happy enough to just be rid of all of them in one shot. I think I got like .25 each for most of the guides I dumped off on them, which was still 24x more than I paid for them.

You'll get sick and tired of seeing them sitting there, collecting dust, and one day you'll just dump those 24 Madden 08 guides for next to nothing. Although I doubt most stores would take them, since sports guides are like sports games, once the newest one comes out the older ones are virtually worthless.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wish my local stores gave me that much for my guides, though I was happy enough to just be rid of all of them in one shot. I think I got like .25 each for most of the guides I dumped off on them, which was still 24x more than I paid for them.

You'll get sick and tired of seeing them sitting there, collecting dust, and one day you'll just dump those 24 Madden 08 guides for next to nothing. Although I doubt most stores would take them, since sports guides are like sports games, once the newest one comes out the older ones are virtually worthless.[/quote] They wouldn't take them, even for next to nothing. >_>

I'll probably just end up giving them away slowly, or hauling them all the the fat guy at the swap meet and saying you can have them for a dollar or something. XD

[quote name='KABUKISTAR'] I also checked a 2003 guide for an X-box game, that still wasn't pennied for some reason.[/quote]

I'm guessing that was Ghost Recon: Island Thunder. It was $4.99 when I checked a couple of weeks ago. You didn't lose out on much lol.

I put my guides up on here for trade, use them, or give them to friends who own the games.
I also know of a small game store that takes guides for about $10-$12 apiece (less for sports games) in-store credit. I feel bad about trading in too much there, though >.>

[quote name='shoe478']I'm guessing that was Ghost Recon: Island Thunder. It was $4.99 when I checked a couple of weeks ago. You didn't lose out on much lol.[/quote]
Yup, that was it.

Found a couple of oldies yesterday @ GS, Heroes Of Mana, Dawn Of Mana, Wild Arms Alter Code F! Really shocked to get them because I know there are other CAGS in NJ! Also grabbed a PSone combo for $30.:bouncy::bouncy::hot:

For turning guides in, most pawn shops will take them. I usually just trade 3-4 guides for a game or two. They will give you next to nothing for 'em though.

Last time I traded in 6 of my penny guides for 3 nes games (death race included woot!) and a wario world guide! Also bought a FF VII for 3.50 this summer.

[quote name='shelisheli']whats in the combo? :D[/quote]

I believe he's talking about the PSone/LCD screen combo that Sony came out with. I ended up picking up one of those from a local Kmart for about $10 when they were clearancing them out a few years ago.

Thank God for oblivious Kmart employees back then who would just stuff everything that was bigger into the bottom case, since that's where the bundle was, crammed behind some PS2's.

[quote name='animemaniac14']^^ the PS1 GAME FFVII? or a guide for it?[/quote]

The game. They just have the same prices for all games up to xbox/ps2. $2.50 a game, but it had multiple disks so I got charged more. Death Race for nes is worth about ~$50.00.

pawn shops and goodwills are goldmines sometimes, but 8/10 times you go you dont find anything worth while.

Just had a weird experience at BB. Not sure if this has been posted, but PES 008 rang up 3 cents and Burnout Paradise rang up 39 cents. Odd numbers for them.

Before that I went to CC and had a great haul, even with probably every employee in the store there, it seemed. Came up with a great new story for getting guides. I went with the usual "I have a friend that says these are clearanced and sent me a list", but purposefully said "He said they were ringing up clearanced for just pennies". The girl who rang me up and the guy standing there both were surprised but didn't question the price like I've gotten before (usually they say, "Yeah they're clearanced but this seems too low!" and get someone else). I think telling them they are going to be pennies makes it easier to take. Anyone see a downside to this strategy?
The Army of Two guide wouldn't ring up, so I said don't worry about it, but she just said I could have it.

My CC Haul:
Army of Two
Rock Band x2
Rainbow Six Vegas
DMC4 (need to maybe go get some more of these, they had like 5 but I had heard mixed things on the price)
Viva Pinata
Super Paper Mario
Yoshi's Island DS

And is Halo 3 pennied? Can't remember he official ruling on that, and they had one there.

BB seemed more organized than usual, but still had plenty of guides from previous drops, and most of this drops guides (Condemned 2, Burnout Paradise, and PES).

Halo 3 at CC is pennied. And at 1 BB PES 2008 is .03 and Burnout Paradise is .39. Where do you guys dump this guide? Will GS take this guide?

Most of us actually *gasp* use them! Some collect them and trade with others here for ones they can't find locally. If you're just trying to work a quick buck these won't work for you. No retailers want them (except the occasional indy) and the resale value, quite honestly, is very low.

[quote name='neocisco']Most of us actually *gasp* use them! Some collect them and trade with others here for ones they can't find locally. If you're just trying to work a quick buck these won't work for you. No retailers want them (except the occasional indy) and the resale value, quite honestly, is very low.[/quote]

Yea, there is no profit in them whatsoever. I tried to sell a couple on eBay for $5 a piece. There is only moderate demand and after fees, shipping and packaging I made about $2 per which in my opinion was not even worth the time it took me to bundle them up to ship.

(BTW, I'm not a hoarder, I swear! I ended up with 6 copies of Army of Two from multiple trips weeks apart to the same store. Obviously no other CAGs around or no one wanted them)

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']Yea, there is no profit in them whatsoever. I tried to sell a couple on eBay for $5 a piece. There is only moderate demand and after fees, shipping and packaging I made about $2 per which in my opinion was not even worth the time it took me to bundle them up to ship.

(BTW, I'm not a hoarder, I swear! I ended up with 6 copies of Army of Two from multiple trips weeks apart to the same store. Obviously no other CAGs around or no one wanted them)[/quote]

They could have still been there because other people keep running into clerks that won't sell them (referring to CC). It took me two tries to get out with one each of the penny guides there at one close to me for my collection. Heh, I didn't even try getting an Army of Two guide either because I remember it not coming up in the system when scanned my previous time (and I didn't wanna seem too suspicious telling them exactly how to ring it up as a penny).

This fails.

I went to the far away CC, and grabbed the Rock Band guide they have left.

Went up to the register, and the guy rang it up, and in a few seconds pressed a button and told me that'll be $9.99 + tax. I asked him if it should be clearanced, and he said it rings up as a penny but I'm not allowed to sell it to you at that price. I said that I'd bought a bunch from here before at the price and they're on clearance, and he said that was a mix up and the manager won't let us sell them anymore. >_<

Looks like CC penny guiding is over for me, with both stores in the city refusing to sell them.

[quote name='darkslime']This fails.

Went up to the register, and the guy rang it up, and in a few seconds pressed a button and told me that'll be $9.99 + tax. I asked him if it should be clearanced, and he said it rings up as a penny but I'm not allowed to sell it to you at that price. I said that I'd bought a bunch from here before at the price and they're on clearance, and he said that was a mix up and the manager won't let us sell them anymore. >_<

Looks like CC penny guiding is over for me, with both stores in the city refusing to sell them.[/quote]

That's weird because they are supposed to destroy the guides when they are pennied right? They will probably still get credit and $9.99, sounds like double dipping or something.

It might be worth it to swing by there and try to get a new employee who doesn't know. Just give time for people to forget, seems like the managers would have more important things to worry about.

[quote name='darkslime']This fails.

Looks like CC penny guiding is over for me, with both stores in the city refusing to sell them.[/quote]

maybe its cuz as youve indicated in other posts that you "take all of them that are pennied" and make it incredibly obvious that you visit CAG.. they probably know who u are and wont sell it to u.

You made your own bed for buying in bulk.. I never take more than one guide at a time, for respect for myself and others.

Regardless of how old you are, its better for you to learn this lesson now and learn from it lol :(

[quote name='gi60']Halo 3 at CC is pennied. And at 1 BB PES 2008 is .03 and Burnout Paradise is .39. Where do you guys dump this guide? Will GS take this guide?[/quote]

Back when EB Games was a seperate company and hadn't merged with Gamestop, they did take used guides in and resold them for $1-5 or so each. I found many great guides that way.

Sadly though, as Neo said, no one outside of independent shops takes them anymore and most won't give you very much for them. Forget about Ebaying them as well, since as soon as a guide drops to .01 Ebay is FLOODED with them, making their value exactly nil for 90-95% of those sellers.

For those who DO sell them, they make maybe a buck or two and have to put up with the hassle of fees and packing and shipping the damn things.

How do I know all of this? It's simple really. When I first joined CAG, I had this grandiose idea that I was gonna make a mint by hoarding as many guides as I could get my hands on. After amassing a massive tradelist worth of mostly worthless guides, I then decided it was time to sell.

I sold a couple lots here and there, even traded 40 or so guides for an Xbox on here, but I never came close to what I thought I was going to do with them.

So, they collected dust and more dust and more dust and more dust. Occasionally I sold a couple here or there or traded for ones I wanted, but these things take up more room than they're worth. Just recently, I sold the bulk of my leftover guides(350 or so) to a local shop for twenty five cents each(they weren't even doing THAT much on Ebay). So save yourself the trouble and only grab one guide for your collection and maybe 1-2 for trading/selling on here. Take it from me, you won't become a millionaire on penny guides.

while cheapest is right, some of us have been lucky enough to score a few things from these penny mags. i've bought over a hundred penny mags in the last 6-8 months and have sold about 30 mags and flipped that into an 8gb micro sd card for my cycloDS and still got about 30 bucks left in paypal. but yes, your NOT gonna make mad loot off penny mags.yes it is a hassle with shipping, yes many mags do stack up in your room, and yes many people dont buy these mags in the first place. so this is really it or miss. but good luck to all people who buy penny mags with the goal of fliping.

Well here's my justification on hoarding, I'm fairly sure there are no other CAGs in my area who know about this and I'd rather have them in my house than a landfill. Worst comes to worst I donate em to charity for the tax writeoff. And some guides (usually NP ones) turn out to be worth a pretty penny after a while.

[quote name='darkpice']while cheapest is right, some of us have been lucky enough to score a few things from these penny mags. i've bought over a hundred penny mags in the last 6-8 months and have sold about 30 mags and flipped that into an 8gb micro sd card for my cycloDS and still got about 30 bucks left in paypal. but yes, your NOT gonna make mad loot off penny mags.yes it is a hassle with shipping, yes many mags do stack up in your room, and yes many people dont buy these mags in the first place. so this is really it or miss. but good luck to all people who buy penny mags with the goal of fliping.[/quote]

I mean, yeah. Even if you buy 100 guides, that's one dollar. Plus tax (depending on how many you bought at a time).

Selling one of these on Amazon will net you a profit for the 100 bought. It's not much, but it doesn't hurt to try as long as room is not an issue. Enjoy some guides and try to sell the others.

[quote name='GuardianE']I mean, yeah. Even if you buy 100 guides, that's one dollar. Plus tax (depending on how many you bought at a time).

Selling one of these on Amazon will net you a profit for the 100 bought. It's not much, but it doesn't hurt to try as long as room is not an issue. Enjoy some guides and try to sell the others.[/quote]

I tried that for like 2 years or so, kept bumping my TL with my massive list of mostly shitty guides and only AFTER I dumped 90-95% of them did I end up having people ask me about X or Y guide, aside from those who bought bundles of them from me before I dumped them.

Don't get me wrong, I made the money I put into getting all of them back, but my one friend who went in with me was out lotsa time and lotsa money for traveling expenses. We were both on unemployment at the time, so we both threw in, but I wasn't getting much. I was hoarding not just in my own state, but NY and NJ too(and CT one time). Hell, I almost went into MD on the one trek as well, but stopped about 20 miles from the border.

Every time my friend and I went on a day trip, that was my excuse to scour the area for Gamestop, Best Buy and TRU stores to clean out. I can actually still recall the one trip to Atlantic City with them, where a 3 hour trip to get to AC took 8-9 hours because I stopped at MANY exits to check Kmarts, Best Buys, malls, you name it.

I can still recall hitting on the one exit down in Philly area(Springfield) and coming out of a Best Buy with no less than 70 guides. Another time, I hit up Middletown(NY) and went back a second day. I scored about 80-100 guides over two days there.

As long as you remain in your own area and don't run out of space should your local stores have a ton of pennied guides, hoarding isn't so bad, but when you're going 2-3 hours from home to grab them, then you know you have a problem. I used to anyway.....lesson learned.

i think we all have tried to make money doing penny guides but all have found out that there's not much of a profit doing that and the reason to go get penny guides is if you are a collector like i am and the only reason to "hoard" or grab some extra copies is for trading for guides you dont have....trust me and like others when you grab a stack of 10 or 20 of the same guides they end up collecting dust and after a year or two you end up giving them away to goodwill or the salvation army!

making money off of game guides is truly dead. With website such as gamefaqs.com that offer user submitted guides and maps plus the addition of YouTube for finding those Halo 3 skulls. I worked for gamestop for a short time when our guides whould get pennied out emploees whould take them home no money and no questions asked the ones that were left over the DM told us to trash. Guides are great but with the internets growing gameing sites anymore guides just take up to much room on the self. That's not me saying all guides are crap just certain ones yes i will always buy a guide for games like Elder Scrolls,KOTOR, Mass Effect due the indepthness of the game but other guides like the ones i've seen for need for speed underground .... please you need a book to tell you that you have to play the game to unlock things.

There's another problem though, is that many guides(Oblivion being one of them) have had numerous, numerous versions and each one contained just a little extra info over the older versions. I myself had 6-8 copies of the Oblivion guide(the original for ONLY PC) and due to it being the original version, those even sat in my collection, even though not much was really changed between the PC and 360/PS3 versions that I noticed.

Guides for games like the GTA series, where they had hidden packages at one point that would become nearly impossible to locate after you found 90% of them, were invaluable because even though the internet versions were readily available not everyone has their game system right next to their PC.

That's the main reason I still get some guides at full price, another reason being that when they penny the local stores may choose to be a bunch of fucknuts and actually try and enforce the 'we can't sell them' rule and then I'll have to try and find a trade on here.

I'm still trying to locate a few guides, but the age of most of my wants means that the chances of finding someone with them by now is slim to nil and leaning heavily towards nil.

Yea you are better off selling guides and use that money instead of looking to get a trade.

Also I dont get why publisher print a few RPG guides but many for Madden and NFS. I cant imagen any store carrying 30 maddne guide is ever able to sell more than a few. Yet they carried 2 or 3 copeis for a RPG guide that will likely sell before being pennied.

[quote name='62t']Yea you are better off selling guides and use that money instead of looking to get a trade.

Also I dont get why publisher print a few RPG guides but many for Madden and NFS. I cant imagen any store carrying 30 maddne guide is ever able to sell more than a few. Yet they carried 2 or 3 copeis for a RPG guide that will likely sell before being pennied.[/quote]

When I started getting penny guides, I was trading a lot for ones I didn't have or for a better condition one. As of lately, it's kind of been nothing at all in the way of guide trades. :cry:

EDIT: I'm not big on selling though unless I have over 3 of something. I'm sure I'll hit that point of just trying to get rid of guides in bundles and sell them sometime soon though if it doesn't pick up.

That's what happened with me, Antic. I would actually get people wanting to trade/buy in spurts, then nothing for a LOOOONG time, then repeat the cycle. Then one day, it just dried up completely.

Of course, it does help that the one local shop opened a second store right near me and they have some guides that weren't with the stacks and stacks I sold them.

My rationale was to try and trade first, then sell what no one seems to care about.

Even if I got $1 per guide, someone gets what they want, rather than letting them get thrown away.

I get a little $$ for my time, so everyone's happy.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Guides for games like the GTA series, where they had hidden packages at one point that would become nearly impossible to locate after you found 90% of them, were invaluable because even though the internet versions were readily available not everyone has their game system right next to their PC.

That's the main reason I still get some guides at full price, another reason being that when they penny the local stores may choose to be a bunch of fucknuts and actually try and enforce the 'we can't sell them' rule and then I'll have to try and find a trade on here.[/QUOTE]

I used to think that way about RPG and GTA guides, but after buying so many penny guides after the last year-and-a-half, or so, it was impossible to get me to fork over $20 for the GTA IV guide.

It made it a LITTLE more cumbersome finding the pigeons and stunt jumps, but it was worth it to save $20. Besides, if I'm only spending $20 for 5 or 6 useful pages in the guide, then it really isn't worth it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what happened with me, Antic. I would actually get people wanting to trade/buy in spurts, then nothing for a LOOOONG time, then repeat the cycle. Then one day, it just dried up completely.

Of course, it does help that the one local shop opened a second store right near me and they have some guides that weren't with the stacks and stacks I sold them.[/quote]

I have one local place around me that could buy some of the guides from me, but the person that said he'd give me money for them is hardly ever working when I walk in. The other people there don't bother with guides, but he does. I literally have a stack in my car of one of each ready for it, but he never is there. >_<

The only reason I get penny guides though is for collecting and my personal use. The few extra of each I have are for acquiring other guides.

At least y'all can find guides for a penny. We have shops here that will buy any guide for $2 so the BB employees buy them out and trade them in the day they get pennied out. Then us regular folks have to pay $6-8 to get them if we want them.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I used to think that way about RPG and GTA guides, but after buying so many penny guides after the last year-and-a-half, or so, it was impossible to get me to fork over $20 for the GTA IV guide.

It made it a LITTLE more cumbersome finding the pigeons and stunt jumps, but it was worth it to save $20. Besides, if I'm only spending $20 for 5 or 6 useful pages in the guide, then it really isn't worth it.[/quote]

I had a bunch of FYE credit that I used to grab a copy of the GTA IV guide the day the game came out and I used the rest of my amassed FYE credit to knock down the price of a PS3 to play the gameon that I bought earlier in the morning(literally like 12:10 am the day it came out from Wally World).

Mind you, getting all of the pigeons just wasn't worth it for the bonus you get, since you get the Annihilator, which is a gimped version of the Apache type chopper from Vice City with chain guns but NO rockets.

I really wish they'd kept the packages like in prior games, 100 of those, scattered all over creation in LC and gave you a weapon pickup at either your apartment in Bohan or Roman's cab depot for each 10 like in the prior trilogy.

[quote name='Jeoff']At least y'all can find guides for a penny. We have shops here that will buy any guide for $2 so the BB employees buy them out and trade them in the day they get pennied out. Then us regular folks have to pay $6-8 to get them if we want them.[/quote]

That's what the one former Best Buy employee used to do, except she used to grab every guide that dropped and Ebay them for $1-5 each. I know that because I ended up picking up a copy of the one guide I couldn't find locally from her.

[quote name='gi60']Halo 3 at CC is pennied. And at 1 BB PES 2008 is .03 and Burnout Paradise is .39. Where do you guys dump this guide? Will GS take this guide?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that PES2008 rang up as $.03 and Burnout Paradise was $.39 at the BB in Mankato, MN. Condemned 2 was still $.01 though.

i just gave up like the rest of you. i pick up 2 or 3, if a game i wont play i get none except if a free dvd or something in it. ebay is a pain in the ass to sell guides through, shipping will kill all chance of real money

In regards to ebaying guides, it just has to be the right guide. Lego Star Wars:TCS and Animal Crossing:WW both go for decent prices. I just sold the SH 1, 2, 3, & 4 guides for over $200, so there's definitely a market for certain guides. Also, if it's bundled with the game (I often sell the game with guide when I'm done with them), that helps you get a good price.

Well I actually scored last week at a CC around here. Got the following:

Metroid Prime 3 x2
Super Paper Mario x2
Tomb Raider:A x2
Yoshi's Island x2

I think I picked up a few more, but I'll have to check again. Army of 2 showed up as out of system and they wouldn't sell it to me. Splinter Cell they said they could only sell it to me with the "bundle" which I'm sure is long gone. DMC4 rang up 19.99 :cry:. The entire transaction was a complete cluster eff, the clerk didn't know what to do, called the manager over and he didn't know what to do, then he just set the register up to start searching the system for prices for the pennied guides. The manager left and the guy just rang me up on another register because the search basically froze up that register and there was a huge line forming behind me (I know, not possible in a CC ;)).

I hit another store and they had changed everything over to the new style "The City" stores and didn't have any older guides at all. :cry:

My final CC had Ao2 and DMC4 and they rang up at a penny, but the checkout girl brought up the web-browser on the register and was finding the retail prices for the guides on the CC website and was entering those full retail prices in for the penny guides! I asked her what she was doing and she said that they look up the price on the website if it shows up pennied and charge that. I told her I didn't want them then, thought about asking for the manager, but ended up just bouncing because I was on lunch at work and didn't want to waste an hour arguing.

Oh well, at least I scored some guides!

[quote name='slowdive21']

So are the Ninja Gaiden wall graffix .01 or are they still .99?[/QUOTE]

They are one cent, but I can't find any store around Chicago that still carries them. Time to check the far & away burbs, I guess.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK'] The manager left and the guy just rang me up on another register because the search basically froze up that register and there was a huge line forming behind me (I know, not possible in a CC ;)). [/quote]

Actually, there was a line forming behind me at both of my local CC stores when I first checked them for pennied guides and they had to enter the AOT guides manually. All I was getting was a cross between dagger stares and eye rolls from the lady behind me, who was paying full price for some shitty cd. I returned the eye roll and continued to watch the clerk fumble to get the guides to come up.

The clerk went over, asked a manager type about them, came back and entered in the AOT guides manually and then fumbled with one of the other guides(I forget which).

All in all, I was amused and bewildered at the same time, especially since they were ringing me out at one of the actual registers that they never seem to use anymore at at least one of the two local stores.

Can someone answer me why Circuit City has done away with traditional registers? Are they trying to be trendy or something? It's the stupidest business practice for an electronics store I've seen.

[quote name='GuardianE']Can someone answer me why Circuit City has done away with traditional registers? Are they trying to be trendy or something? It's the stupidest business practice for an electronics store I've seen.[/quote]

I don't know, but since they're not using them at a good 50% of their stores I've been to, you'd at least think the manager types would ask corporate if they could rip out those registers and put in more shelves there to hawk more goods. :roll: Then again, nothing that some of these chains do makes any sense to me already, so why should they do something that might increase their $$$ now?

[quote name='GuardianE']Can someone answer me why Circuit City has done away with traditional registers? Are they trying to be trendy or something? It's the stupidest business practice for an electronics store I've seen.[/quote]

I haven't seen a register open at all since I've started shopping there for deals. They're physically there, but it's always just someone only at the Customer Service sort of part of CC.

I don't even know how they stay open honestly. There are more associates on the floor than there are customers usually.

So I hit BB and CC today. At Best Buy (South Setauket, BB/Target/Home Depot center), I really wasn't looking for guides, though I did see a stack of Pro Evo Soccer guides. And I did price check Phantom Hourglass blue hardcover, $14.99 like everyone has said, and the last Ninja Gaiden 2 guide hidden behind some other guides for $19.99 (I'm guessing Gatsby hid that one). I did leave with 2 of the Ninja Gaiden wall stickers for 1 cent each. They had about 6 more in the 360 aisle.

Then i went to CC (Lake Grove, with Funcoland and Trader Joes), and saw a couple of DMC4s. They rang up a penny, but I was told that they were only to be sold bundled with the game. :(

[quote name='Chronis']So I hit BB and CC today. At Best Buy (South Setauket, BB/Target/Home Depot center), I really wasn't looking for guides, though I did see a stack of Pro Evo Soccer guides. And I did price check Phantom Hourglass blue hardcover, $14.99 like everyone has said, and the last Ninja Gaiden 2 guide hidden behind some other guides for $19.99 (I'm guessing Gatsby hid that one). I did leave with 2 of the Ninja Gaiden wall stickers for 1 cent each. They had about 6 more in the 360 aisle.

Then i went to CC (Lake Grove, with Funcoland and Trader Joes), and saw a couple of DMC4s. They rang up a penny, but I was told that they were only to be sold bundled with the game. :([/quote]Wait...the Ninja Gaiden 2 guide dropped @ Best Buy? I totally missed that drop. :hot:

[quote name='Vader582']Wait...the Ninja Gaiden 2 guide dropped @ Best Buy? I totally missed that drop. :hot:[/quote]

The Ninja Gaiden 2 wall scrolls dropped, not the guide to the best of our knowledge. However, I didn't list that as having dropped because it's not a guide perse.

If anyone gets a chance, you could probably snag some copies of the cd soundtrack that came with the pre-order case for Mercenaries 2, since the game came out officially on August 31st, as well as the other cases/bonuses for other games that have come out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back