Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
Four BBs in an hour, all of them having none of the guides, and at least one of them showing signs that they had been there previously.

For the St. Louis CAGs, stores in question were Manchester & 141, Crestwood, Gravois Bluffs and South County.

More proof that BBs around here are back in the clean-up mode in advance of the drops.

I went to 5 BBs, none had pulled any guides by the time I was there.
I found everything except Final Fantasy XIII LE and Lego Universe.
I grabbed doubles of all CEs, hoping someone here would have found extras of Final Fantasy XIII LE and be willing to trade.
Time to update the tradelist.
Thanks again, lox!

When I was at work I did a quick scan of random districts and very few had the FFXIII LE. I think one store may of had 2 but most districts had 1. Most of Florida and some of Alabama are out of stock :(

I thought nothing of Lego Universe but it seems to be hard to find as well.

As for when the guides get pulled, most stores do it before the store opens. My store has a by the books inventory fella that checks everything and makes sure they are pulled. Some stores around are more lax but never for more then a few days.

Went to 4 bestbuys, three of them pulled, the last one however did not but they didn't have all on the list. I did manage to grab Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE, Medal of Honor CE, Sly Collection, Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, Sonic Colors, Resident Evil 5, Super Scribblenauts, and Assassins Creed II.

I grabbed 2 of each so I have doubles for trade, hoping to hit up another bestbuy and find a Final Fantasy XIII LE, but I won't be able to go until tomorrow sadly. Weather is bad here, must have passed 20 car accidents during my trip today.

Made out good at one store, struck out at three others. Also saw two Dragon Age softcover guides (not Awakening) that I should have picked up even through they were probably full price. Looking it up on Amazon/Half.com seems like they go for a good amount (or I can also just sell the hardcover copy I've been using and just keep the softcover).

My local store had never pulled guides on a drop before last time, and they pulled from both the PC and console areas. They did leave the guides out this time but had put a sticker over half of the bar code. However, they only did this for the console guides only and left those in the PC section alone.

Thus, I took a small pile of guides from the PC section to the counter today, and the security guy at the front door rushes over and says I'm hoarding guides and can only have one of each.

Actually, there were only three guides I had taken more than one each of, and I only had two each of those. Still, I was glad to get anything after they prepulled stuff last time.

The clerk at the register said that security guy was tripping and that he would have let me have everything. They only had one register open though, and I guess security guy had nothing better to do.

[quote name='shrike4242']Four BBs in an hour, all of them having none of the guides, and at least one of them showing signs that they had been there previously.

For the St. Louis CAGs, stores in question were Manchester & 141, Crestwood, Gravois Bluffs and South County.

More proof that BBs around here are back in the clean-up mode in advance of the drops.[/QUOTE]

that sucks sorry to hear Shrike. I know you haven't had much luck with BB's in recent memory.

I'm going to hit some up soon in the West Coast. I'm sure I'll run into some CAGs since it's a holiday and all. If anybody hits up San Jose stores please leave at least 1 guide there for the next fellow.

Picked up two guides from store pickup online orders today. Went promptly at 10 am, just got Sly & Medal of Honor LE. Thanks again to loxthefox and Ultragamer for the information, much appreciated. :applause::applause:

[quote name='dabamus']Props to the guy on SD who took the cart that they pulled the guides into and checked out with it![/QUOTE]

Wow, wonder how the employee's felt at that location after that.

[quote name='dabamus']Props to the guy on SD who took the cart that they pulled the guides into and checked out with it![/QUOTE]
lmao seriously? that's pretty ballsy

Pic? Where can I see this??? Sounds incredibly epic! I haven't been able to get a penny guide for AGES!!!!

[quote name='Ultragamer']Wow, wonder how the employee's felt at that location after that.[/QUOTE]
Dunno. I would have loved to have been there when the employee went back to get his cart tho. :D

Just got back from the Albuquerque, NM store. I didn't have any problems picking up 24 guides. There are still a bunch left, though there was a cart in the area, so maybe they were getting ready to pull them. I can't remember all that's left. Scribblenauts, 007, Evolved, Iron Man 2, tons of Resident Evil 5. Maybe some others, too, though I picked up the last DR2 and SMG2 guides (one copy each).

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to snag SMG 2 CE, DR2 CE, and LoZ: Spirit Tracks. Got in the store at about 10:01 and they had already piled most of the guides onto a cart. Luckily, whoever was tending them disappeared for a bit, and was able to snag a few. Ended up meeting a fellow CAG at the store (didn't know there were more of us in the area :)), and had a nice little chat. I don't want to blow our cover, but I'm sure he knows who he is. Hit me up sometime, maybe we can compare some notes, or do some trading.

WDE

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Is this a big enough drop to warrant a 30 minute drive to try? I don't want to waste gas...[/QUOTE]

Depends on if there are any guides on the list your looking for. If there are no guides of interest to you probably not worth the trip.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Depends on if there are any guides on the list your looking for. If there are no guides of interest to you probably not worth the trip.[/QUOTE]

Where can I find the list?

(Prepares self for flame attack!)

Went to two BBs, got shutdown at the register by a nosy employee who went and ratted me out to someone and came back to void the transaction before the cashier could check me out. This BB even had the $0.01 stickers by the guides. At the other Best Buy got pretty much everything I was looking for DR2 LE, SMG 2 LE, MoH LE, Sly collection, Lost Planet 2

[quote name='dabamus']
Page 4

;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man!

The LE's are pretty good ones, but the likelihood of me getting any is small enough to void the trip. Thanks again!!

Also, could you post a link to the SD guy? I'd love to see that!!!

I'm still waiting for my "order ready" emails before heading out (PST here), and I'm not looking forward to the hunt since Sacramento is so damn spread out. Back in Oregon I could hit 4 stores in an hour, here it may be 2 if I'm lucky. Oh well...at least I don't start my new job until 2 Mondays from now, so this drop worked out for me :D

Went to 2 BB's, they had pulled. It was clearly evident based on the all the holes in the racks. Went to a third and they had 70% of the guides. Only grabbed a few doubles, may go back for more.

Thank you to Lox and everyone who contributes here. I had success buying my first penny guides today -- just singles of ones I wanted. I bought more guides in five minutes than I've bought the past 20 years.

Ordered a few that were in stock at the store to be picked up at store. No confirmation email yet ... while I should probably just drive and see myself its over an hour away and dont want to waste the trip less I'm 100%

Anyone have any luck w/ in store pickup?

The BB near the Streets at Southpoint (Durham, NC) pre pulled, but I did find a Super Mario Galaxy 2 (left 1 on the shelf) and AC2 at the New Hope Commons location. I almost didnt make it out with those as the cashier hesitated after they rang up one cent, but I threw out the "I heard they were on clearance" line. The other employee standing next to her chimed in and said to her "yeah, they all eventually drop down to one cent". Then she flashed me the "I got you" smile. I could barely contain my relief.

I've had the best luck at the BB near my place, but won't be able to get to that one until late this afternoon :(

2 Pulled and scored at 2 others. One pulled the guides and left them up at front register and in shopping cart for people to take if they wanted them. Final haul was the following

Assasin's Creed II
Castlevania Lord of Shadows X3
Dead Rising 2 CE guide X6
Enslaved Guide X2
Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light X2
Front Mission Evolved X4
Medal of Honor CE Guide X7
Resident Evil 5 X3
Sly Collection X4
Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE X3
Super Scribblenauts
Zelda Spirit Tracks

I'll have to work on my trade list later

Thanks to lox and everyone that posted the info about todays drops, I was able to score my first penny guides! Was deffinately a thrill! I got:
enslaved x1
ghost of sparta x2
super scribblenauts x2
spiderman shatterd dimensions x2
lost planet 2 x2
medal of honor LE x2
FFXIII LE x1

these were the only guides on the shelf that were on the list. Was really hoping to find castlevania, but none to be seen. Enslaved and FFXIII there was only 1 of each of those on the shelf, the others all had multiple copies so I got dupes in hopes of trading.

Just tried the store closest to my house, they had already removed them

and haven't gotten anything back on my in store pick up yet.

But im trying to get a 4 heroes of light guide and a FF13 CE guide.

if someone get extra's i could pay for the shipping maybe a little more

First off happy Guide day everyone. Its been too long!

Went to 2 of the 4 local BBs and everything was pulled. However luck changed as both of the other 2 BBs were fully stocked. Grabbed a few of everything. Should hold me over until the next drop.

Thanks again to Lox and contributors.

got 3 mario galaxys and 4 sly coopers. they had 1-5 of almost everything on the list just sitting there but i didnt want to press my luck. Just picked up 1 each of the two. manager had to come "approve" it. when he did, I asked her if she minded me getting the other copies (thats why I have multiple of just those two guides). walked away happy cause I got the two I really wanted and a couple extra to trade/sell/whatever 9posting from phone sry for ugly post).

Thanks to lox, iatcg, others, etc. hoorah

Thanx to lox and fellow CAGers for all the advance info! I got to my BB store just as they were gearing up to do the pull (lots of associates out with their clipboards and carts). Got one of everything I wanted except Spider Man and Resident Evil. Managed to get a couple of SMG2 CE before the employees got to them to take them away.

[quote name='msriflegirl']The BB near the Streets at Southpoint (Durham, NC) pre pulled, but I did find a Super Mario Galaxy 2 (left 1 on the shelf) and AC2 at the New Hope Commons location. I almost didnt make it out with those as the cashier hesitated after they rang up one cent, but I threw out the "I heard they were on clearance" line. The other employee standing next to her chimed in and said to her "yeah, they all eventually drop down to one cent". Then she flashed me the "I got you" smile. I could barely contain my relief.

I've had the best luck at the BB near my place, but won't be able to get to that one until late this afternoon :([/QUOTE]

Ah, I made that famous, glad I could help someone ;)

i had a pretty decent snag at my BB got a hand full of guides the girl at the register rung the firs guide up a few times and did not know what was going on and i was like oh they are on clearance that's the right price. She was like wow that's pretty cool. we sat there and chatted a little she just laughed the whole time and asked how i knew about it. i was like the internet its a great tool. funny thing is the same girl checked me out in December during the last drop and asked the same thing......guess she had short/long time memory lost.

Thanks lox and iatcg for the work on this list

Alright. I guess I should dig through n find the drop list from like 3 pages ago and update, huh?:razz:

I did notice that the SKU's that were by the guides on the list seem to have been removed last night though, so if anyone has those still listed someplace, feel free to list them here and I'll update the SKU wiki.

Usually the Best Buys where I am are anemic on guide drops... have to drive a bit to find anything. I went to 3 local stores that usually are great at pulling and picked up at least 1 of every single guide in the drop. The store nearest me had 4 FFXIII CE's; I bought 2 and hid 2 to pick up later in case I got denied lol.

[quote name='msriflegirl']The BB near the Streets at Southpoint (Durham, NC) pre pulled, but I did find a Super Mario Galaxy 2 (left 1 on the shelf) and AC2 at the New Hope Commons location. I almost didnt make it out with those as the cashier hesitated after they rang up one cent, but I threw out the "I heard they were on clearance" line. The other employee standing next to her chimed in and said to her "yeah, they all eventually drop down to one cent". Then she flashed me the "I got you" smile. I could barely contain my relief.

I've had the best luck at the BB near my place, but won't be able to get to that one until late this afternoon :([/QUOTE]

yea i checked cary's best buy today and found a bunch but they would not let me buy them :( said there not allowed to sell them.. @ the garner bb i found lost planet 2 the rest had been pre pulled

I've already said it at least ONCE. Take it to the trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

Any more infractions of this and I'm gonna PM for a mod to come in and clean up these kinds of posts.

In other news, I'm gonna have to go back and find the prematurely locked thread and try to cut/paste the wiki posts from that one since they were more concisely edited and try and fix the third post on this one, since all of my abbreviations and editing aren't present and the wiki is missing a bunch of guides.:roll:

Well picked up 2 of about half the list, missed out of Medal of Honor and Mario Galaxy 2, due to LE vs CE confusion on my part. But not to worry I watched el-hordo right behind me grab every single copy of those and everything else on the list. Nice going there you greedy bastard. My only regret is I didn't find a Tron :(

And to anyone thing about hitting the Costa Mesa store, they pulled everything so don't waste your time.

Damn they had all the guides I wanted except SM: Galaxy II LE and Dead Rising 2 LE. I asked the cashier if I was the first to buy the penny guides today and she said yes, but she did tell me that the employees in the gaming department bought a few earlier. Can't they lose their jobs for buying penny guides?

I had an epic day with this. I'll do my best to sum it up.

I went to bed at around 4-5AM. Woke up just around 9 and got dressed and headed out. Got to BB like 5-10 minutes before they opened and waited with like 4-5 other people. Went inside and headed straight for the guides. As soon as I got there I knew they pulled em but decided to look and perhaps find a few. I found 3 in total (MoH CE, 007 Blood Stone, and Castlevania. I was interested in the MoH and Castlevania ones, but not really Blood Stone, but I figured what the heck. I bring em to the front, she scans em and asks for 3 cents...I give her a nickel and tell her I don't need the pennies.

Now is when the best part happens. A month or so ago I drove to a BB 30 minutes away to get Fable 3 CE when it dropped when I was there I figured I would check to see if there was anything there. I was lucky and found 3 old guides from the October drop (GoW3, Alan Wake, and LoZ ST CE) so I decided to try again today. I got in there expecting to strike out because it was already 11:00 or so. When I saw what was there...I was shocked. Everything was still there...I grabbed one of everything I wanted (DR2 CE, SMG2 CE, FME and so on). I then found 4 guides from the October drop that I guessed I missed (PoP Forgetten Sands, SCC, AC2,and SSF4). I had about 14 guides in total and I decided to get a $20 PSN card to offset the 14 cent total. I went up there and paid the cashier no questions asked beyond the "I guess these are for the older games". I asked her if I could go back and get a few for a friend of mine (which is 100% true) so I got another 3 or 4 for my friend.

I then went to the car and called another one of my friends who I tried to get the last GS drop and had zero success. He wanted a few for himself so I said I'd try, but if they say no I'm sorry. I went and got them and went to the cashier, she said "Back again?" to which I replied "Yeah another one of my friend wants these few". She then replied with something that completely shocked me.

She asked "Are there any others you want", I said "Yeah but they're ones I won't really use or are duplicates and I don't want to be greedy.". What she said next was epic, "Go and get em, we just gotta toss em soon anyway", "Are you serious?" I asked, and she was. So I grabbed a cart and proceeded to get every last penny guide I could find. In total I got around 60 guides today and a few are going to friends for free or a minor cost just to cover shipping and the rest are going on here for trade fodder.

Overall REALLY happy with what happened today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back