Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gauu']off to my gamestops in a few to see if i can get at least the one guide i want the most which is tactics ogre as im still playing the game.[/QUOTE]

The stores in my area tossed them last night at closing. I doubt stores will have them today.

[quote name='Romeo']The stores in my area tossed them last night at closing. I doubt stores will have them today.[/QUOTE]
All of them, eh? That sucks. I know the one by Target down the line was usually pretty lax at times, but now they only have one guide rack out now.:whistle2:#

Got two guides, he said he would give me those two, but had to destroy the rest. Got DKCR and DNF. They had a bunch of inFamous 2, Tactics Ogre, one Epic Mickey, one WoW Cataclysm, and a bunch of the others. But at least I got two instead of none.

Meh turned down for Fallout guide. Really wanted it for my collection too. The guy helping me just had to go on a huge rant on why they can't sell them and how they could lose their job.

"What stores let you have them?"
"I'd rather not say, white knight."

[quote name='Brenex']Meh turned down for Fallout guide. Really wanted it for my collection too. The guy helping me just had to go on a huge rant on why they can't sell them and how they could lose their job.

"What stores let you have them?"
"I'd rather not say, white knight."[/QUOTE]

They can't sell them to you. They give them to you. If they say otherwise they are liars and I'd say that to their face.

All books get tossed in dumpsters. ALL. The employee would rather be a prick to you instead of lightening his load to the dumpster anyway.

My advice is to make friends in your area. I picked up nearly every guide yesterday and have some extras so if someone would like to trade feel free to PM me.

While it might be fun to think employees are out to be dicks to you, the truth of the matter is that they are not supposed to give or sell them to you and could lose their job.

So don't be a dick yourself.

[quote name='confoosious']While it might be fun to think employees are out to be dicks to you, the truth of the matter is that they are not supposed to give or sell them to you and could lose their job.

So don't be a dick yourself.[/QUOTE]

So someone can lose their job by not throwing something in the dumpster and handing to you?

Perhaps I live I'm the twilight zone but the DM, store managers, and reps around me aren't insane. They actually have decency.

[quote name='Romeo']So someone can lose their job by not throwing something in the dumpster and handing to you?[/QUOTE]

Um, yea? It's fraud. If you steal a pack of gum instead of a car, it's still theft.

[quote name='elessar123']Um, yea? It's fraud. If you steal a pack of gum instead of a car, it's still theft.[/QUOTE]

Uh... um... giving away garbage isn't stealing. Not computing with me at all.

I'm not trying to get into any type of debate. My point is this:

The guides are considered trash. They often get shredded and always tossed in a dumpster.

At least in my area and under my GM, employees get to choose what guides they want. The rest get put on the floor in the trash pile at the end of the night for whoever to take the trash out to the dumpster. End of story.

Had a great GS experience. I put in an order for the Fallout:NV guide last night online, make it to the store this morning and show my confirmation email. The manager just starts laughing as he pulls the guide out from under the counter and hands it to me. We start to BS on games, he proceeds to print me out the DLC codes for Batman AC (without me even asking) after I tell him that I already bought it at Toys R US during B2G1. We then get to talking DCUniverse Online going F2P and he looked in his system for any of the GS that still had the PS3 copy that pennied earlier in the month and started to call and see if any of them still had them in the back that I could have.

Definately above and beyond.

[quote name='Romeo']Uh... um... giving away garbage isn't stealing. Not computing with me at all.

The guides are considered trash. They often get shredded and always tossed in a dumpster.

At least in my area and under my GM, employees get to choose what guides they want. The rest get put on the floor in the trash pile at the end of the night for whoever to take the trash out to the dumpster. End of story.[/QUOTE]

There is no debate. Therefore you can't not try to start one. it's been well established around here by gamestop employees and other CAGs that they are not supposed to give you guides. They are supposed to destroy them. If they give them to you, consider yourself lucky that you're getting them and thank the hell out of the GS employee instead of acting like a little entitled brat.

If they don't give them to you, it's not because they are being dicks. If you insist on it or "call them a liar to their face", it's you who is the dick.

[quote name='Romeo']Uh... um... giving away garbage isn't stealing. Not computing with me at all.

At least in my area and under my GM, employees get to choose what guides they want. The rest get put on the floor in the trash pile at the end of the night for whoever to take the trash out to the dumpster. End of story.[/QUOTE]
I can't go in your house and take your garbage. Until they throw it out, it's their property, it's not garbage and it is up to them if they want to give it to you or not. Does that compute with you now?

[quote name='confoosious']There is no debate. Therefore you can't not try to start one. it's been well established around here by gamestop employees and other CAGs that they are not supposed to give you guides. They are supposed to destroy them. If they give them to you, consider yourself lucky that you're getting them and thank the hell out of the GS employee instead of acting like a little entitled brat.

If they don't give them to you, it's not because they are being dicks. If you insist on it or "call them a liar to their face", it's you who is the dick.[/QUOTE]

I'm not dear sir. I've just never experience just... rudeness before. I'm very close with the GM and managers of GameStop in my area. Everything I stated above is exactly what happens and I personally wouldn't expect anything different. Perhaps my area is different though that's what I've come to know.

[quote name='kouleefoh']I can't go in your house and take your garbage. Until they throw it out, it's their property, it's not garbage and it is up to them if they want to give it to you or not. Does that compute with you now?[/QUOTE]

See above. I'm always offered the guides. Reps even save the guides and put them on the side for me if they are ones they know I had an interest in.

[quote name='Romeo']See above. I'm always offered the guides. Reps even save the guides and put them on the side for me if they are ones they know I had an interest in.[/QUOTE]
Good and they are doing you a huge favor. They don't have to do it.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Good and they are doing you a huge favor. They don't have to do it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And yet Romeo says that someone who doesn't do it should be called a liar to their face.

But he's not being rude or anything.

Gah kids today.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Good and they are doing you a huge favor. They don't have to do it.[/QUOTE]

I know they do not. That is what friends are for. They take care of me and vice versa.

[quote name='confoosious']Exactly. And yet Romeo says that someone who doesn't do it should be called a liar to their face.

But he's not being rude or anything.

Gah kids today.[/QUOTE]

I would bet I'm your elder. Look, I'm not here for a debate or fight. Just saying how things work around my part of town.

And yes, I'd call them a liar if they say they can't give them to you as I know they can. I've walked into Gamestop in towns out of my district, not knowing a single person and under a different DM, and they've handed me guides. I'm not trying to sound like I'm entitled to something, it's just something that I'm used to and when you think about it, wouldn't you rather give something to someone than junk it? To me it's just rude.

I take guides that I collect and ones I know friends would love. I called a friend today and told him I got a Donkey Kong guide for me, he flipped shit.

Dude at local GS, straight up told me they went to the dumpster yesterday.

I wanted to badly, but there is like 6 dumpsters there. It would have taken to long to check them. I woulda been embarrased... I am a wuss CAG.

[quote name='Romeo']So someone can lose their job by not throwing something in the dumpster and handing to you?[/QUOTE]From the OP:
Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.
And, yes, I'm aware of a few people in my area who have been fired for selling guides for $0.01 or giving them away. But there are also some managers/DM who aren't as strict on corporate policy.

I was finally able to snag a free guide! I picked up DKC Returns today. The guy just gave it to me. Unfortunately, I already have that one. I'd be interested in a trade (particularly for Dragon Quest IX) if anyone really wants this one.

Found out two potentially useful things today. The store I went to had inventory yesterday and can't do anything with the penny guides for a couple days (the chick that was working said I could come back Sat morning and she should be able to give me one). She also said that the CE of Mortal Kombat pennied quite a while ago. Is it supposed to be the regular version on the list for this drop?

Picked up 1x
Fable 3
Infamous 2
Red dead redemption
homefront CE
Fallout New Vegas CE
SW: FU 2 CE
Epic mickey CE
World of warcraft cataclysm atlus CE

Thanks for the heads up guys. I picked them up at the GS across from my work so it looked awkward with me walking back into my office with a stack of game guides by all of my coworkers. First a Gears Retro Lancer now this. Proof CAG is good for your work image. Good times :(

There was a couple of extra CE copies of the ones i got but left them there.

[quote name='whisper22']Found out two potentially useful things today. The store I went to had inventory yesterday and can't do anything with the penny guides for a couple days (the chick that was working said I could come back Sat morning and she should be able to give me one). She also said that the CE of Mortal Kombat pennied quite a while ago. Is it supposed to be the regular version on the list for this drop?[/QUOTE]

No regular MK does not ring up as 1c

Maybe someone can make sense of this for me:

Went to one of my local GS got RDR; DKCR & Comic-Con book for 0.01 no prob.

Went to another local which I usually could score from, I thought I was all set...brought up MK:CE; WoW Atlas; WoW Cataclysm; Duke Nukem; Homefront ; Epic Mickey CE & another Comic-Con book...they all rang up full price...

Does anyone know why? There was no override performed by the clerk so it wasn't that....

Stopped by 3 gamestops, they did a good job trashing everything all right. I found one guide that was missed, the girl took my penny and I walked out happy!

Bad day. Four gamestops. In each of them I only wanted to purchase a single guide, and I was denied in them all. I took up preowned games with them all too. Ended up backing out on all of'em though.

Kinda did want those games too, but now it's a waiting game, I suppose.

8 guides:

http://i.imgur.com/UHyo3.jpg

Donkey Kong Country Returns strategy guide
Duke Nukem Forever strategy guide
Epic Mickey collectors guide
Fable 3 strategy guide
Fallout New Vegas collectors guide
Infamous 2 strategy guide
Halo Reach strategy guide
Homefront Strategy guide

Might be trading some (non-collectors), trying to work out a deal with a friend but if it doesn't work I'm up for trading Halo, IF2, and Homefront...maybe fable 3.

all from one store

[quote name='jimijumper']Maybe someone can make sense of this for me:

Went to another local which I usually could score from, I thought I was all set...brought up MK:CE; WoW Atlas; WoW Cataclysm; Duke Nukem; Homefront ; Epic Mickey CE & another Comic-Con book...they all rang up full price...

Does anyone know why? There was no override performed by the clerk so it wasn't that....[/QUOTE]

This has happened to me before as well. I would speculate that it might have something to do with the computer system not being updated in the morning, or that there might be a way to "pre-override" prices earlier in the day (unlikely, I know).

Only a current (or former) GS employee/manager knows for sure (or maybe they don't know either!).

[quote name='jimijumper']Maybe someone can make sense of this for me:

Does anyone know why? There was no override performed by the clerk so it wasn't that....[/QUOTE]

This can happen if their local computer system missed the daily morning updates. This can happen from power outages, faulty routers/modems, etc. Stores that don't update their systems miss out on all price changes that day.

At my store, this would happen about 3 times a year, but some stores in my district would have systems issues on a more regular basis, like every third day.

well hit up two gamestops had some really good luck at one and dumpster dived at another.
got mint sealed copies from mall gamestop of these.......
dc universe online x2
medal of honor x7 sealed
dkc returns x7 sealed
world of warcraft cataclysm
world of warcraft cataclysm atlas x2 sealed
fable 3 x 2 sealed

went dumpster diving at the other gamestop which had over 50+ guides but sadly either they were destroyed from the rain last night or shredded to bits from a knife. the only ones decent that didnt get rained on or cut as i found them in a box were
disney epic mickey ce
fallout new vegas ce
tactics ogre
only bad part is they tore out one page in the middle of fallout and tactics ogre and epic mickey they tore out the table of contents. really wanted a nice tactics ogre and fallout new vegas for the collection. will trade lots of the ones i did get minus one fable 3 and dkc returns as im keeping those.

[quote name='Readthepost']2 GS and got these guides and a lot of Halo reach.
Not 100% sure if pennied because they just gave them to me without ringing them up.
This is in reference the World of Warcraft Cataclysm Atlas. I got 2, but wasn't on Ultragamer's list.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the atlas dropped, I managed to get 2 today. Wasn't on the original list I was given for the guide drop.

I agree with you on that. I use to work for Gamestop and our DM never had a problem with us taking guides until about half his store mgr's started taking them to the local used book store and selling them for cash and put them up on ebay. After I left he really started to bring the hammer down and fired a few game advisers for doing it. A buddy that still works at my old store use to get me whatever pennied guide I wanted but after they fired a few guys for it everyone fears for there job and they wont give them out or take them. They go in the dumpster. Its the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

[quote name='jcmeadows']I agree with you on that. I use to work for Gamestop and our DM never had a problem with us taking guides until about half his store mgr's started taking them to the local used book store and selling them for cash and put them up on ebay. After I left he really started to bring the hammer down and fired a few game advisers for doing it. A buddy that still works at my old store use to get me whatever pennied guide I wanted but after they fired a few guys for it everyone fears for there job and they wont give them out or take them. They go in the dumpster. Its the dumbest thing I have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Is that what they call gamestop employees now "Game Advisers"?

:shock: Gamestop has been busy recently! Wouldn't mind finding Infamous 2, Homefront or RDR.... has anyone even seen a copy of RDR recently?

Also, has anyone been able to get a clearanced guide from Meijer? Ran across a copy of God of War III that would not ring up in system. I didn't try getting it because I'm certain I would either be denied or they would manually enter the price on the tag ($19.99).

Not 100% sure if pennied because they just gave them to me without ringing them up.
This is in reference the World of Warcraft Cataclysm Atlas. I got 2, but wasn't on Ultragamer's list.

[/QUOTE]
:shock:Wow. That's a LOT of guides, both in the foreground and in the background. You have a varitable bookstore worth of guides in your house.;)

I wish the clerks at my GS stores were that nice around here.

Anyway, I'll add in the WOW Cataclysm Atlas now. Anyone have the SKU for it by any chance?

The second post has now been COLOR CODED(RED for Gamestop and BLUE for Best Buy), so there should be no more confusion about what has dropped and where.

Thanks to neocisco for the suggestion.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The second post has now been COLOR CODED(RED for Gamestop and BLUE for Best Buy), so there should be no more confusion about what has dropped and where.

Thanks to neocisco for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up! Looks great!! Hopefully I will have more luck this afternoon on the new GS drops

[/QUOTE]

Damn what a haul. The only hardcover I got was for Fable 3 and one Epic Mickey. I wish I was ale to grab the others like you did though ot even employees got dibs... The stores didn't have any at all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:shock:Wow. That's a LOT of guides, both in the foreground and in the background. You have a varitable bookstore worth of guides in your house.;)

I wish the clerks at my GS stores were that nice around here.

Anyway, I'll add in the WOW Cataclysm Atlas now. Anyone have the SKU for it by any chance?[/QUOTE]
Thanks...Almost all of the guides in the background are for trade, but it's hard to trade because when check their "have" lists, I usually have them already or the guides are for really one games.
I haven't sold guides anywhere yet, but I might have to...I'm running out room.

Here's the sku.
[quote name='Readthepost']World of Warcraft Cataclysm Atlas is also pennied. 870031[/QUOTE]

Can you help out? I want to add a CML button to my avatar area. I have a post on the "Strategy Guides - Buy, Sell, and Trade" Post #91.

Thanks

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The second post has now been COLOR CODED(RED for Gamestop and BLUE for Best Buy), so there should be no more confusion about what has dropped and where.

Thanks to neocisco for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

But I wanted yellow for BB. YELLOW! YELLOW!!!

I'll be OK. Thanks for doing that.

[quote name='neocisco']But I wanted yellow for BB. YELLOW! YELLOW!!!

I'll be OK. Thanks for doing that.
[/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome. But I figured people would be getting blinded by YELLOW for the BB drops, which was why I settled on BLUE.;) At least I actually implemented a decent change w/o being like a two year old and asking 'Why' incessantly, huh?:booty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back