Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
The list mentioned before looks spot on...all of these rang up full price:

Borderlands GOTY
Dragon Quest 9
Pokemon HG&SS
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Fallout New Vegas CE

I only got Crysis 2, which is the only guide I really wanted.

Was really hoping to find the Fable 3 CE for a penny, but my local BBY had no copies. Ended up getting the vanilla version. Got quite a few others as well that were on the list. They have an Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood CE guide which I'm hoping drops soon as I really want that.

Picked up Red Dead Redemption, Thor, Killzone 3, Kingdom Hearts PSP, Dragon Quest VI, LBP2. Passed up Halo Reach since the back cover was all torn up. Checked Donkey Kong Country Returns, and it is NOT pennied. Still want Fable 3 and LA Noire. Thanks PatelKing for the confirmations.

Another drop The 3rd Birthday
I went to 3 stores really quick before closing. 1 store was a bust but the other two were great. I can confirm everything on the drop list except I couldn't find Fable III CE or Kingdom Hearts.

Here's what I can confirm besides the two I couldn't find. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Cheat Code Overload Winter 2011
Crysis 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Duke Nukem Forever CE
Dragon Quest vi
F.E.A.R. 3
Fable III
Fable III CE - couldn't find this one
Halo: Reach
Killzone 3
Kingdom hearts - couldn't find this one
L.A. Noire
LittleBigPlanet 2
Marvel vs capcom 3
Portal 2
Red dead redemption
The 3rd Birthday
Thor: God of Thunder

I think I got doubles of everything. I'll put them up for trade sometime next week. School is killing me right now because all my professors are cramming in a lot of presentations and assignments before Thanksgiving.

Hit 3 of my local BB quick before they closed tonight. None of them had pulled yet. Awesome haul. Usually some of the BBs around me pull early. Found pretty much 1 of everything. Really wanted a Duke CE and found a couple at the last store.

However as I predicted, I would come home and find 2-3 more guides would be found. Ill have to go back and grab 3rd Birthday and Fear 3 in the morning tomorrow. The funny thing is, both of the guides I looked at thinking they should have been on the list from earlier...

As always thanks to those who uncovered this drop. It had been too long since the last.

Couldn't find anything at my local store except Fable 3 CE and Cheat Code Overload Winter 2011. Was hoping for F.E.A.R. 3 / Portal 2 / MvC3 / LA Noire but those must have been pulled early. Will probably check the other store in the area tomorrow or something.

[quote name='xDerekRx']
However as I predicted, I would come home and find 2-3 more guides would be found. Ill have to go back and grab 3rd Birthday and Fear 3 in the morning tomorrow. The funny thing is, both of the guides I looked at thinking they should have been on the list from earlier...
[/QUOTE]

Happens everytime. I have a feeling there are a couple more that we haven't found yet. I should have price checked dead space 2 because I feel like that one should be pennied. I was in a rush to get home and work on school projects. I skipped class just to go to BB :oops:

The only reason that I found out about 3rd birthday was because my store had all the guides tagged with .01 cent stickers. They weren't tagged to the books themselves, but to the shelves. I think they had everything from the drop list tagged except black ops, Fable CE, and kingdom hearts.

I forgot to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this fact finding mission. You guys are awesome. I'm so thankful people are paying attention to the BB website because I forget to check every week.

see, this is what happens when people ask about drops when there are none. When there actually is a drop, i ignore the thread. Doh!

I need to get that Portal 2 guide. And maybe La Moore.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Happens everytime. I have a feeling there are a couple more that we haven't found yet. I should have price checked dead space 2 because I feel like that one should be pennied. I was in a rush to get home and work on school projects. I skipped class just to go to BB :oops:[/QUOTE]

I saw Dead Space 2 at a store that had all of the other guides pulled so I have my doubts about that one. Just a heads up.

Others that are still full price when I checked:
Dragon age 2 CE
Mortal kombat (vanilla and KE)
Dead space 2
Final fantasy 13
Borderlands goty hardcover
Red dead redemption hardcover
Fallout new Vegas hard cover

Really want that fable 3 CE and know 1 store that has 1 not sealed but I won't be that way until late Friday. If anybody gets an extra and is willing to trade, please PM me. I got most of the guides on the list. TIA

[quote name='supaet']only got two duke CE guides, this particular store has all the guides scattered and put them with the games. also picked up ac brotherhood ce (the game, not the guide) for $24.99 ymmv clearance

also checked sims 3 ce, homefornt ce, full price[/QUOTE]
The AC Brotherhood CE(and vanilla edition) was on a one day sale today at BB. So that price is good until most likely 1am EST.

Either way, motherless fucking shit!!!! I was outta town for work today and near a BB store, but I was short on time and I figured 'eh nothing likely dropped'.:roll: Oh well. At least I scored at a Target outta town since I never score cheap game deals here at Target.

I'll probably check tomorrow at the other local BB where the one lady manager is a total (rhymes with punt) towards me n threatened to ban me from the store if I try for guides there again.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I'll probably check tomorrow at the other local BB where the one lady manager is a total (rhymes with punt) towards me n threatened to ban me from the store if I try for guides there again.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Lol, I'm not gonna lie man, between the story of you getting banned from Gamestop and now this, I find it hilarious. I applaud you, sir.

[quote name='Luxuria']Lol, I'm not gonna lie man, between the story of you getting banned from Gamestop and now this, I find it hilarious. I applaud you, sir.[/QUOTE]

You find it hilarious probably as long as you're not IATCG. If BB bans IATCG for trying to purchase guides, I might send him my guide collection. I'll also help form a letter writing campaign to BB corporate to get that "rhymes with punt" fired. :) Trading countless hdmi cables isn't that bad in my opinion and neither is buying items that are for sale at BB.

[quote name='stoned99']I wonder how many hdmi cables is considered bad, I'm up to about 7 in a 1 month period[/QUOTE]
:lol: So long as you don't try doing 35 within like a week or two(which is what I did:rofl:) and you're only doing em 1-2 at a clip and at different stores, then you should be ok.

I can't remember the name of the PC game, but tonight my one cousin(who I'm training in the ways of the cheapass....and hoping he'll be my trading mule;)) found a pack of old as dirt PC games on the shelf at an out of town GS store.

He brought up three of them that had 2007 listed on their price sticker as the date they arrived in stock at that store:shock:, yet only one(an expansion pack for one of the other two games brought up) was coming up as pennied.

The games:

Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich(from 2005)
Some MMO RPG, starts with a D
Expansion pack for said MMO RPG, which DID come up a penny....

EDIT: I'll update the appropriate posts in a bit. Anyone get the SKU's from the guides that dropped by any chance?

Still glad I don't work there any more but bummed I missed this. Talked to my friend earlier and he saw all the guides pulled in the warehouse already. I'm gonna try the next two stores and then hit up my old store and try to sweet talk some friends. Wonder where lox has been hiding?

Tried to pick up some guides today at one of the Best Buy that I knew had couple guides exist. I only tried to get a few pennied guides, one of each, as that is pretty much all they had for pennied ones. But got denied because the sales person was not sure why the guides ring up as penny each. Left without the guides as not sure where he took them.:roll:

Shit fuck god damn, I was at my store for 20 minutes today. Guess who didn't read CAG today or check the guides... this guy. Holy hell am I pissed.

Of course there's a drop at best buy when I don't check cag. Think I just died inside a little :whistle2:#. Guess I'll swing over there tomorrow to see if I can get anything....

Hit up 2 stores and scored at both. Got Portal 2 from the one I expected to find a bunch at and everything else from the one expected to find nothing at; go figure lol. ... I think they prepulled a bunch at the one store because there was no dedicated guide section any more that I could find, and someone else must've grabbed what was left cause the cashier mentioned something about it.

Anyway, pretty happy with my haul.

IMG_20111115_233503.jpg

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']You find it hilarious probably as long as you're not IATCG. If BB bans IATCG for trying to purchase guides, I might send him my guide collection. I'll also help form a letter writing campaign to BB corporate to get that "rhymes with punt" fired. :) Trading countless hdmi cables isn't that bad in my opinion and neither is buying items that are for sale at BB.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to come off as a dick or anything, it's just funny how Gamestop was so scared of him using their own trade-in system to make a profit and now Best Buy seems to be doing the same with their guides. It's not like they are really losing much on anything in the end, but still want to be whimps about it.

All the respect for ya' IATCG.

On topic: I'm surprised the Fallout: NV and DS2 guides haven't dropped. That and Homefront, considering it did at Gamestop. Should have seen the faces of the BBY employees when I asked to get the prices checked of the guides I bought and when I bought 'em (Which, BTW, I was able to get Fable 3, Duke CE, KH: BbS, DQVI, and L.A Noire). Their mouths remained open throughout the whole thing as if I had done some sort of witchcraft. :bouncy:

Went back this morning to my local store. All guides are gone. I know they were there last week but didn't pay attention yesterday. The supervisor helped me and couldn't find them anywhere, even in warehouse.

What does best buy do with these guides? I know GameStop tosses them and walmart sends them back for credit.

[quote name='JSD']Hit up 2 stores and scored at both. Got Portal 2 from the one I expected to find a bunch at and everything else from the one expected to find nothing at; go figure lol. ... I think they prepulled a bunch at the one store because there was no dedicated guide section any more that I could find, and someone else must've grabbed what was left cause the cashier mentioned something about it.

Anyway, pretty happy with my haul.

IMG_20111115_233503.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You are really struggling to get through Fable III huh?

well hit up a store last night and you could clearly tell they were all pulled, stopped by one today, and I'll say everything was pulled except L.A. Noire, which makes me think they missed it completely. I was scared it may have not pennied. Brought 2 up to the register and the clerk didn't even flinch. Went and grabbed the rest.

And I wanted to get in on the hoarding pics too! If anyone needs one, hit me up!

[quote name='Romeo']
What does best buy do with these guides? I know GameStop tosses them and walmart sends them back for credit.[/QUOTE]

Similar to any magazine or print media, stores send them back from credit from the vendor.

Im actually a magazine vendor for Walmart/Tops/Wegmans/Rite Aid etc. I go around changing out their magazines each week and putting up the new ones. Old ones get sent back for credit and recycling. Unfortunately I dont deal with Video game strategy Guides at any of my stores yet.

I read somewhere earlier in this thread that someone has a 3rd party vendor do the guides at their Best Buy. It would be funny if my job started doing best buys. Would be easy guides then :)

Heading back to Best Buy right now to get the 3rd Birthday guides I left...

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Happens everytime. I have a feeling there are a couple more that we haven't found yet. I should have price checked dead space 2 because I feel like that one should be pennied. I was in a rush to get home and work on school projects. I skipped class just to go to BB :oops:

The only reason that I found out about 3rd birthday was because my store had all the guides tagged with .01 cent stickers. They weren't tagged to the books themselves, but to the shelves. I think they had everything from the drop list tagged except black ops, Fable CE, and kingdom hearts.

I forgot to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this fact finding mission. You guys are awesome. I'm so thankful people are paying attention to the BB website because I forget to check every week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah now that most of our Best Buy insiders have left the company it takes a cag community effort to find the complete guide lists. But its worth it.

Dead Space 2 makes sense but again even at the 1 store I went to that pulled they were sitting there. Maybe Ill check it anyway today when I go back to grab 3rd Bday.

[quote name='Luxuria']Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to come off as a dick or anything, it's just funny how Gamestop was so scared of him using their own trade-in system to make a profit and now Best Buy seems to be doing the same with their guides. It's not like they are really losing much on anything in the end, but still want to be whimps about it.

All the respect for ya' IATCG.

On topic: I'm surprised the Fallout: NV and DS2 guides haven't dropped. That and Homefront, considering it did at Gamestop. Should have seen the faces of the BBY employees when I asked to get the prices checked of the guides I bought and when I bought 'em (Which, BTW, I was able to get Fable 3, Duke CE, KH: BbS, DQVI, and L.A Noire). Their mouths remained open throughout the whole thing as if I had done some sort of witchcraft. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion. I don't think u sounded dickish. I agree the whole thing is ridiculously comical.

I had a similar experience yesterday with a BB cashier. It was his first day working the register and he was super shocked about the prices. I offered to let him keep whatever guides he wanted for himself if there was something that caught his eye.

Picked up 2 DNF CE, 2 DNF, 2 KZ3, 2 Crysis 2. Left plenty of the non CE ones. Only 1 store DID NOT pull. The other 2 had nothing at all. Thx for the heads up, guys...

People should stop hoarding the guides. It's one thing to get one copy of something but another to get 10 of the same guide.
I collect video game guides and i have no problem buying them at full price. If i find a guide that i wanted and it's been pennied out, that would be epic, but i'll still grab only one for myself and that's it.

I find that its better to grab dem shiz and trade them to fellow CAGS instead of just leaving them to be "shipped back to the warehouse" aka thrown in the garbage

[quote name='Hinoshiko']People should stop hoarding the guides. It's one thing to get one copy of something but another to get 10 of the same guide.
I collect video game guides and i have no problem buying them at full price. If i find a guide that i wanted and it's been pennied out, that would be epic, but i'll still grab only one for myself and that's it.[/QUOTE]

Most people do it for trade. Some flip to Half Price Books, etc. I generally don't buy guides at full price, because I've never actually used one outside of maybe maps or the FFX grid. Some I just really like having, like my Star Ocean guides. I paid more than MSRP for one them even.

I do regret not buying the Fallout 3 GotY CE when I saw a stack of them though....

[quote name='Dahk']I find that its better to grab dem shiz and trade them to fellow CAGS instead of just leaving them to be "shipped back to the warehouse" aka thrown in the garbage[/QUOTE]

From your feedback, you are true to your word and do trade guides. However, we have a bunch of hoarders who claim to do this but ... never do.

I've got 120 copies of the Haze guide! Wooooot!

----

Oh and luxuria? BB does lose money on those guides. We are lucky to get them and most veterans of this thread understand that.

I was a day late at Steelyard Commons in Cleveland. There were just a bunch of empty spots where the guides were. Employee told me they were still on the floor yesterday.

[quote name='confoosious']From your feedback, you are true to your word and do trade guides. However, we have a bunch of hoarders who claim to do this but ... never do.

I've got 120 copies of the Haze guide! Wooooot!

----

Oh and luxuria? BB does lose money on those guides. We are lucky to get them and most veterans of this thread understand that.[/QUOTE]

The trade thread has been rather dead lately. I am sitting on a huge pile of old guides that is about to go to some used bookstore somewhere...

Excellent! I was able to snag fear 3, Crysis and Kingdom Hearts. The first couple stores were all pulled. These three guides were in difficult to find places (i.e. under other guides, away from the normal racks, etc). It was certainly a lot harder this time around.

[quote name='crupp']Excellent! I was able to snag fear 3, Crysis and Kingdom Hearts. The first couple stores were all pulled. These three guides were in difficult to find places (i.e. under other guides, away from the normal racks, etc). It was certainly a lot harder this time around.[/QUOTE]

Same here the racks were empty, I got DNF CE and Crysis 2 because they were near the games and not in the rack with the rest.

[quote name='hellmutt']The trade thread has been rather dead lately. I am sitting on a huge pile of old guides that is about to go to some used bookstore somewhere...[/QUOTE]

If you're feeling generous, you could just give em away to CAGs. (active cool ones, not lurkers.) I did that a while ago with some guides I was never gonna use or had duplicates of. Instead of making $1 after fees on amazon, I just put em up for free. People sent me shipping labels so I didn't even have to do anything but shove em in a box.

It was pretty satisfying. Except for like a couple of people who never even bothered to thank me. Helping out fellow cags is cool. I've had a few people offer me up some guides for free since then but never took them up on their offer.

Lately I've been only grabbing guides I'm actually gonna use instead of just grabbing every penny guide. I mean really, what am I gonna do with this Bionic Commando guide.

Santana row, curtner, and blossom hill have nothing.

Sunnyvale had multiple DNF, 1 halo, and 1 kh:bbs as of yesterday. I suspect that there might have been a DNF CE due to the gap in the guides, but I didn't take anything.

If anyone has better luck at mountain view or milpitas, please let me know (or grab a DNF CE, or la noir for me)!

Checked the two stores by my office. One looked like it was pre-pulled because none of the dropped guides could be found.

The second store on the other hand had tons. I could have brought tons of attention to myself by trying to get several multiples, but thought better of it.

I ended up getting one of each of these:
RDR (1 left)
KZ3 (last one)
Fable III (shit tons left)
Portal 2 (last one)
L.A. Noire (1 more left)
LBP2 (at least 3 more left)
MvC3 (3-5 left)

Saw but did not get:
DNF (Std and CE**)
FEAR 3 (only copy I saw was beaten to shit)
Halo Reach
Thor

**fuck DNF CE was pennied too? I saw a few but didn't bother 'cause I thought only the standard pennied. My fault for not paying closer attention. :bomb: Guess I'll try again later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back