Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warboss zorbag']Got a resident evil archives for a penny. Left a huge stack of raccoon city, lol.[/QUOTE]

Can you grab one of those raccoon city for me and send it?

They had already gotten rid of Amular and RE:Archieves which was a bummer, I just hope the kid that did it at least had the foresight to take them. I did, however, snag RE:6, FFXIII-2 CE, BL2 CE, Dragon's Dogma, and MW3 for less than 40, so that was okay with me.

Went 1/2 today.

At the first store I found a GOW 3 LE, DQM: Joker 2, Syndicate and Darkness II. Took the guides up to the register and the cashier was like this is your lucky day. Then he said let me check with my manager first before I sell you these. When he said that I knew I would be leaving without anything and sure enough, he came back out and said he couldn't sell them to me.

At the second store, I managed to grab Fallout: New Vegas and Game of Thrones without any hassle.

Neither store had any of the new drops on the rack.

[quote name='coopscohen']Went 1/2 today.

At the first store I found a GOW 3 LE, DQM: Joker 2, Syndicate and Darkness II. Took the guides up to the register and the cashier was like this is your lucky day. Then he said let me check with my manager first before I sell you these. When he said that I knew I would be leaving without anything and sure enough, he came back out and said he couldn't sell them to me.

At the second store, I managed to grab Fallout: New Vegas and Game of Thrones without any hassle.

Neither store had any of the new drops on the rack.[/QUOTE]

Some still have the FO: NV guide? I wanna check for that one.

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Wiki has been updated with the latest drops.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I alphabetized them and added them to the master list!

[quote name='Zolor23']Some still have the FO: NV guide? I wanna check for that one.[/QUOTE]

It's all luck based. I found an Iron Man 2 guide a few months ago at Best Buy. You never know what you'll find.

Went to pick up my guide and was sitting in line. Then i noticed the guide just sitting on top of a Ninja Gaiden III CE (on top of a pile of stuff on the floor). So I picked them both up. Didn't intend on NG but also didn't know it was only $40.
Told the dude I was there to pick up my guide and he walks over to where I grabbed my guide from and looked confused. I told him I grabbed what was in my hands from there and he was like "Oh, yea that was yours". Nevermind that it was confirmed last night....

So now I'm thinking maybe I bought someone else's NGIII CE? Oh well. :whistle2:$

Are the NG3 CE getting that rare?
I saw like 5 at some of the game stops I visited today.

Was waiting for $20 but... Perhaps I'll move sooner.

21263d1305120619-necro-thread-necro.jpg

[quote name='crazedracerguy']
21263d1305120619-necro-thread-necro.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Why did mine and straight edge follower's posts get deleted, but this one didn't?

Does anyone know a way to check inventory for KoA:R on GS's site? It seems to have been removed but I'm wondering if there's a workaround.

Bizarre day with penny guides for me. I was in an area that I'm not normally in and went into a Best Buy. Grabbed a Rage and Disney Universe guide and took it to the cashier. She tried to scan them and the message " Item Not Available For Sale" popped up. The last time I tried to grab a guide at Best Buy where the sku had been deleted, it said "Unable to Add Item." So the cashier told the manager and he said that he couldn't sell it and had to return it to. The new message makes it a bit more difficult to get lucky with a guide at BB now IMO.

So I stop by a GameStop across the street to see if they have anything. I grab (9) guides that are confirmed a penny on the rack and in this box next to the register that I was told I could look at. The CSR rings up the first guide and it comes up a penny. She looks at the girl at the other register asking is that right and the other girl tells her it is and that "she has to sell it to me." Ended up leaving with my best haul ever and might consider making the drive out to that store more often.

Found Fallout: NV, and Kid Icarus today at a GameStop. The very pregnant lady (at least, I hope) working told me that they had already been accounted for and "trashed", so she just gave them to me, because if they were to sell them it would actually minus stock from the zero amount they already had. So yeah, productive day.

Also, I hope I don't get people excited with this Wednesday post.

Gah! You tease! Thought there would be another drop! Will admit im buying more guides with the 50% + 10% when buying a game. It doesnt come close to penny guides but it is close enough :)

[quote name='Dark Rider']Found Fallout: NV, and Kid Icarus today at a GameStop. The very pregnant lady (at least, I hope) working told me that they had already been accounted for and "trashed", so she just gave them to me, because if they were to sell them it would actually minus stock from the zero amount they already had. So yeah, productive day.

Also, I hope I don't get people excited with this Wednesday post.[/QUOTE]

You knew what you were doing... ;)

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Gah! You tease! Thought there would be another drop! Will admit im buying more guides with the 50% + 10% when buying a game. It doesnt come close to penny guides but it is close enough :)[/QUOTE]

No drops today that I was informed of, already checked with a source earlier. I doubted there would be with a guide sale going on anyway.

Scanned the guides at TRU the other day and noticed the only penny guide they had on the shelves was the Bakugan: Battle Brawler one.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']So if I find a penny guide at GS and they refuse to sell junked out guides can I just take it and walk out with it, like it was those ad flyers ...?[/QUOTE]

You can do that with any item they sell, not just penny guides. Where have you been?!?

[quote name='Josef']Scanned the guides at TRU the other day and noticed the only penny guide they had on the shelves was the Bakugan: Battle Brawler one.[/QUOTE]

I bought that for a penny a while back. I consider it packing material for a penny if I'm ever short on newspaper. lol

[quote name='strait edge follower']feed me more penny drops !!!!!! lol[/QUOTE]

We need a penny guide app! Scan the barcode and instantly know if it's a penny or not!

Got lucky last night picking up a reserved guide. Had the guy print out a list and saw some penny guides. Asked if i could get them, and he let me. Nothing I really wanted, but got the Pokemon one that'll cover my buying the Borderlands 2 LE.

Picked up something at GS today, and scored a FF : Xiii-2 CE for $6.50....had a label for the normal guide on it and employee said it was my lucky day.

Does Best Buy not drop guides to 1 cent anymore? Seems like forever.

Lucked out after the umpeenth time at my local Gamestops. They just refuse to sell them anymore. They just confiscate them and say they arent allowed to...that is to say probably keep them for themselves.

[quote name='Number83']Does Best Buy not drop guides to 1 cent anymore? Seems like forever.

Lucked out after the umpeenth time at my local Gamestops. They just refuse to sell them anymore. They just confiscate them and say they arent allowed to...that is to say probably keep them for themselves.[/QUOTE]

One of the GS I've gotten guides from they do that, I rarely get lucky there.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Got lucky last night picking up a reserved guide. Had the guy print out a list and saw some penny guides. Asked if i could get them, and he let me. Nothing I really wanted, but got the Pokemon one that'll cover my buying the Borderlands 2 LE.

Picked up something at GS today, and scored a FF : Xiii-2 CE for $6.50....had a label for the normal guide on it and employee said it was my lucky day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the 1/2 off sale is extended through this week, so you can grab that or the other FFXIII guide for 1/2 of 14.99 plus your 10% Edge discount. Now the ROCKIN deal would be to find the Dark Souls guide for $4.99 plus the sale and discount. :D

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Yeah the 1/2 off sale is extended through this week, so you can grab that or the other FFXIII guide for 1/2 of 14.99 plus your 10% Edge discount. Now the ROCKIN deal would be to find the Dark Souls guide for $4.99 plus the sale and discount. :D[/QUOTE]

No no no, the lucky day comment was because it should have been tagged at $24.99 instead of $14.99 so i saved the $5 ;)
I have 2 Dark Souls being sent to my local store from a not local store, so hoping they show up soon.

[quote name='Pookymeister']No no no, the lucky day comment was because it should have been tagged at $24.99 instead of $14.99 so i saved the $5 ;)
I have 2 Dark Souls being sent to my local store from a not local store, so hoping they show up soon.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why the clerk told you that, because 14.99 is the standard price (marked down from 24.99) for the FF XIII and XIII-2 guides. Anyway congrats on finding some Dark Souls guides.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I don't know why the clerk told you that, because 14.99 is the standard price (marked down from 24.99) for the FF XIII and XIII-2 guides. Anyway congrats on finding some Dark Souls guides.[/QUOTE]

He was talking about getting the CE guide for the price of the regular guide because it was tagged wrong.

Syndicate guide at BB had its SKU deleted. After about 20 minutes and four people getting involved, they just gave it to me. Oddly enough I found a Fear 3 guide and it still rang up for a penny.

Not all good news though. I found a Disney Universe CE guide at another store and thought it would ring a penny as it was one of the last guides to penny at BB. Unfortunately that may be the reason why it didn't ring up as a penny because its SKU was deleted and they wouldn't let me have it :cry:

Lastly, Madden 12 guide was pennied at TRU.

[quote name='FOnewearl']FWIW

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fallout...bolsp-app06-28?id=1218116794539&skuId=9510969

I don't remember how many guides they had online before but they have 66 guides for sale now (including the sold out penny guide) and I want to say they had about 10 to 20 more a few days ago.[/QUOTE]
From what I see, that Fallout guide is the only pennied one online...weird. Can anyone make some inventory stock checker using that?

[quote name='Zolor23']Thanks, unavailable everywhere.[/QUOTE]Not that it helps, but "Unavailable" just means anywhere from 0 to 2 copies. :\

[quote name='Vigilante']Not that it helps, but "Unavailable" just means anywhere from 0 to 2 copies. :\[/QUOTE]

Would just a wild goose chase since I believe it's been pennied a looooong while ago

Was able to get Syndicate x 2, and that Disney guide (can't remember the name now).

Sadly, this was at a store that is closing in 3 weeks.:cry:

[quote name='outcast529'] several penny guides @ BestBuy

Disney Universe Collector's Edition (Game Guide)
Resistance 3 (Game Guide)
White Knight Chronicles II (Game Guide)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Game Guide)
RANDOM HOUSE/PRIMA GAMES - Shadows of the Damned (Game Guide)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Game Guide)
Brink (Game Guide)[/QUOTE]

Thanks but more than half are in store pick up only now :(

bread's done
Back