Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strait edge follower']yea i was shocked lol. i walked into the gamestop today to mop up more penny guides from yesturdays drops and he just handed those guides that dropped today and said ”here are some new drops”. wonder if even more are gona happen this week[/QUOTE]

Do you know that guy really well? He just gives them to you when you come in? Wow.

Scratch that SH Downpour request :)

Took one of the kids to karate and said want to stop at GS ( of course he did ! )
Sure enough my galpal was there and had some guides on the side for us

SH DP
DOA 5
NSMB 2 X 2
ZOMBIE U
Sleeping Dogs
Skyrim x 2
WWE 13 x 2

Damn that elusive Lego Batman 2 ! Was thrilled!

Darksiders II guide pennied at GameStop.

Funny that I found out while returning it. CSR did the return then just gave it to me because it took a bit to do the return since the guide was pennied.

[quote name='coopscohen']Darksiders II guide pennied at GameStop.

Funny that I found out while returning it. CSR did the return then just gave it to me because it took a bit to do the return since the guide was pennied.[/QUOTE]

INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for those who can't get free guides, could this be a workaround

Buy a guide that might be pennied soon, and as soon as it is pennied do a return and possibly get your money back and keep it for free

Doggy says:

"did someone say penny guides at gamestop??"

imagehaq.jpg

To add an addendum to my post yesterday regarding missing the guide drop, I did miss it at my local store. I'm out of town today and visited some other gamestops and some old friends were glad to take care of me. I only asked for one of each though there were plenty. I missed out on anything not scene in the above photo, still trying to figure out what I missed besides Skyrim and PS All Stars, the two I wanted most.

[quote name='Romeo']Hmm... me?[/QUOTE]

Just everyone in general. Our store had about 40 that got pennied out.

I even found some Dragon Age 2 guides that were pennied out months ago and never thrown out.

[quote name='sasukekun']Just everyone in general. Our store had about 40 that got pennied out.

I even found some Dragon Age 2 guides that were pennied out months ago and never thrown out.[/QUOTE]

What did you take for yourself? I only take one of each, only dupes if a friend wants one specifically. If they want/need one and there's only one available, it's theirs.

OP is updated. I really didn't want to go back out yesterday, even knowing that I would get them. I guess I am just lazy. I might run by today and see if they haven't pulled them.

Well, I've been blacklisted from a Gamestop. A few days ago I went in and bought up a few pennied guides. The cashier was adamant about not selling them. So I called corporate and spoke to someone who approved my purchasing them. Today when I went, the same guy was there and would hear nothing of it. He treated me with absolute contempt. Made my stomach turn. I won't be going back.

[quote name='Fukurou']Well, I've been blacklisted from a Gamestop. A few days ago I went in and bought up a few pennied guides. The cashier was adamant about not selling them. So I called corporate and spoke to someone who approved my purchasing them. Today when I went, the same guy was there and would hear nothing of it. He treated me with absolute contempt. Made my stomach turn. I won't be going back.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to get much sympathy around here with a story like that. Calling corporate is how the deal gets killed for everyone.

[quote name='Fukurou']Well, I've been blacklisted from a Gamestop. A few days ago I went in and bought up a few pennied guides. The cashier was adamant about not selling them. So I called corporate and spoke to someone who approved my purchasing them. Today when I went, the same guy was there and would hear nothing of it. He treated me with absolute contempt. Made my stomach turn. I won't be going back.[/QUOTE]#-o

The first rule about penny guides is that you don't talk about penny guides.

The store has no right to sell them to you and calling corporate just screwed anyone who might have gotten them at that store because they were friendly with a store rep. Now that you called, that store was eyeballed by the DM/RM and the store manger probably was read the riot act about selling/giving away penny items.

All you did is screw yourself and everyone else around you. Good job.

Once in a while when there is a guide I'd like to pickup I just go by my local gamestop and ask if a single copy is available. The manager at my local gamestop is pretty awesome. He knows that I know about penny guides and he says he isn't suppose to sell them, then he asks me if I could help him out by throwing one away ;)

I see. That was my mistake. Well I won't be calling corporate about this ever again. The person I talked to on the phone knew nothing at all about pennied guides, and I'm sure she already forgot about me and this incident.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8587&pictureid=29362

Had to do a surprise office review visit out of state. Asked around the office if there was a gamestop nearby. Sure enough it was like a remote cabin in the woods. Long story short . I chatted up the manager during my lunch break and she let me grab these from the back. I love gamestop managers who are flirty and could care less about pennied items. Dadly no LB 2 or DS II. They too had 20-25 copies of H4 AC III and COD BO II HC. How many copies did GS order?

:-({|=:-({|=:-({|=[quote name='shrike4242']#-o

The first rule about penny guides is that you don't talk about penny guides.

The store has no right to sell them to you and calling corporate just screwed anyone who might have gotten them at that store because they were friendly with a store rep. Now that you called, that store was eyeballed by the DM/RM and the store manger probably was read the riot act about selling/giving away penny items.

All you did is screw yourself and everyone else around you. Good job.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

What he said !!

[quote name='spacegundam0079']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8587&pictureid=29362

Had to do a surprise office review visit out of state. Asked around the office if there was a gamestop nearby. Sure enough it was like a remote cabin in the woods. Long story short . I chatted up the manager during my lunch break and she let me grab these from the back. I love gamestop managers who are flirty and could care less about pennied items. Dadly no LB 2 or DS II. They too had 20-25 copies of H4 AC III and COD BO II HC. How many copies did GS order?[/QUOTE]
Nice find on those UMvC3 guides.

[quote name='Fukurou']Well, I've been blacklisted from a Gamestop. A few days ago I went in and bought up a few pennied guides. The cashier was adamant about not selling them. So I called corporate and spoke to someone who approved my purchasing them. Today when I went, the same guy was there and would hear nothing of it. He treated me with absolute contempt. Made my stomach turn. I won't be going back.[/QUOTE]

What area are you in?

[quote name='godsmack13']Cheapest, that you?[/QUOTE]
Talking to me? Of course I'm not Cheapest. Do I really come off as being like him?

Now that I think about it, it was Cheapest that was blamed for the stop of pennied guides in Best Buy. I know now that calling Gamestop wasn't a smart thing to do, but I don't think talking to some random grunt on the phone will have a serious impact. Still, I won't try it again. Better I miss out on 90% of the pennied guides rather than having everyone miss out on 100% of the pennied guides.

[quote name='godsmack13']Cheapest, that you?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fukurou']Talking to me? Of course I'm not Cheapest. Do I really come off as being like him?

Now that I think about it, it was Cheapest that was blamed for the stop of pennied guides in Best Buy. I know now that calling Gamestop wasn't a smart thing to do, but I don't think talking to some random grunt on the phone will have a serious impact. Still, I won't try it again. Better I miss out on 90% of the pennied guides rather than having everyone miss out on 100% of the pennied guides.[/QUOTE]

I thought you may have been IATCG, but after that post, I realize otherwise.

[quote name='slowdive21']I thought you may have been IATCG,[/QUOTE]

Another one? That's not nice, Cheapest was a real pain.

[quote name='slowdive21']but after that post, I realize otherwise.[/QUOTE]

That's... a little better? Well, as long as people don't think I'm him.

Checked the new list from my haul, I'm missing:

Silent hill
Darksiders 2
Pokemon
Skyrim
PS all stars
Lego batman
Zelda skyward sword

[quote name='maxpower0965']Just got back from BestBuy and they had a few of the collectors Ed. Guides bundled with games. There was a sign buy a game get guide for free. My bestbuy has been doing this with all guides that have deleted skus. I saw RE 6 and Mass effect 3 Final Fantasy Uncharted 3 collectors Ed. Guides. I don't know if all the those guides have deleted skus. No one around to check price.[/QUOTE]

That would be so cool if that became the norm.

And to the person asking before about Skyrim, it is the vanilla guide that was pennied as the revised one is still online and in-store, but GS is no longer buying it (de-listed in their system) so whatever is in the chain now is all there will be.

Thanks to this thread, I got my first ever penny guides. :)

1 x NintendoLand
1 x PS AllStars
1 x NSMB2
1 x SWTOR
1 x Witcher 2
1 x Tekken Tag Tourn
1 x Darksiders 2
1 x Batman 2 DC
1 x Mass Effect 3
1 x Ghost Recon
1 x MOH Warfighter
2 x FF 13-2 Collectors

Didn't see anyone else in this thread pick up FF13-2 Collectors. Did I get lucky?

[quote name='strait edge follower']wait ff 13-2 and the witcher 2 dropped ? !!! those must have just happened today[/QUOTE]

I don't really buy guides and first time getting penny guides, so don't know what they were selling at 'earlier'. But they both jumped out at me since I didn't see either of them on the OP's list. Grabbed those suckas quick.

Don't see SWTOR on the OP's list either.

[quote name='Teeboner']I don't really buy guides and first time getting penny guides, so don't know what they were selling at 'earlier'. But they both jumped out at me since I didn't see either of them on the OP's list. Grabbed those suckas quick.

Don't see SWTOR on the OP's list either.[/QUOTE]

i hope i can get three final fantasy 13-2 guides. two to dump to amazon fo some quick credit and one to keep. my gamestops have a few witcher 2 copys that can get me quick credit too

[quote name='strait edge follower']i hope i can get three final fantasy 13-2 guides. two to dump to amazon fo some quick credit and one to keep. my gamestops have a few witcher 2 copys that can get me quick credit too[/QUOTE]

Are you f'in serious dude? Flipping is why stores don't give away guides really anymore.

You know the deal... Flipping = you don't belong here.If you get extra you owe it to the community, to help others out who couldn't get in on the drops.

[quote name='Romeo']Are you f'in serious dude? Flipping is why stores don't give away guides really anymore.

You know the deal... Flipping = you don't belong here.If you get extra you owe it to the community, to help others out who couldn't get in on the drops.[/QUOTE]

do you know how many copys my gamestop tends to have with these guides ? like at least 4 + each lol, just chill bro :D. i just dump some quick on amazon cause their tiv drops extremly (and i mean really extremly) fast

[quote name='Romeo']Are you f'in serious dude? Flipping is why stores don't give away guides really anymore.

You know the deal... Flipping = you don't belong here.If you get extra you owe it to the community, to help others out who couldn't get in on the drops.[/QUOTE]

That's wishful thinking with a dash of bullshit.

[quote name='Fukurou']Talking to me? Of course I'm not Cheapest. Do I really come off as being like him?

Now that I think about it, it was Cheapest that was blamed for the stop of pennied guides in Best Buy. I know now that calling Gamestop wasn't a smart thing to do, but I don't think talking to some random grunt on the phone will have a serious impact. Still, I won't try it again. Better I miss out on 90% of the pennied guides rather than having everyone miss out on 100% of the pennied guides.[/QUOTE]

Nah, never really thought you were IATCG, was just giving you a hard time in reference to the whole BB guide fiasco.

Also hadn't seen the post you made just before mine yet. Definitely not him. Like neocisco said, he never could admit when he was wrong.

Kinda miss him sometimes tho, some of his rants were classic :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']i got one witcher 2 guide just now. as we speak im looking for a final fantasy 13-2 guide. if anyone finds one let me know cause i have a ton of guides to trade ![/QUOTE]

I have an extra FF 13-2 CE guide from when it came out that Piggyback sent me for free since the one amazon sent me was missing like 50 pages.

Do you have a trade list?

[quote name='cgxcswim']I have an extra FF 13-2 CE guide from when it came out that Piggyback sent me for free since the one amazon sent me was missing like 50 pages.

Do you have a trade list?[/QUOTE]

ill inbox you, my list isnt updated :)

I'm seeing a lot of posts of penny guides from GameStop. Does Toys r us have a time when they penny out guides or you just have to go out there price scan them your self to find out? Just curious cuz I've seen post made by peopl that know what guides are being pennied at GameStop.
Thanks

Had an amazing haul at (2) GameStops today but more importantly I may have found out that Best Buy penny guides might be back.

I went to a store that I had never visited before and I remember someone had mentioned that it appeared as if there store did a pull. So I came across the Witcher 2 Guide and thought to check it as it was the oldest one I saw. Sure enough it rang up a penny. And that's where the good news stops for me.

The CSR tells me that's amazing and if there are anymore to grab them. I run back to the guides and grab the other Witcher 2 guide. She rings both up and as I'm about to pay, she says that she should probably check with her manager. Manager is a complete *!@#hole and tells me that he can't sell them to me or they will get fined. He goes on to say that it's obviously a mistake because Best Buy wouldn't sell anything for a penny. I tell him I've bought guides from other stores and online for a penny in which he responds that I probably got a lot of people fired. So I say well how about if you just let me have them. He tells me he can't do that and they have to be sent back. I relented as I could tell he wasn't going to let me have them. First time that I ever got denied at a Best Buy.

In any event, hope the penny guides are back because I know my local stores won't have a problem selling them to me for a penny.

[quote name='coopscohen']Had an amazing haul at (2) GameStops today but more importantly I may have found out that Best Buy penny guides might be back.

I went to a store that I had never visited before and I remember someone had mentioned that it appeared as if there store did a pull. So I came across the Witcher 2 Guide and thought to check it as it was the oldest one I saw. Sure enough it rang up a penny. And that's where the good news stops for me.

The CSR tells me that's amazing and if there are anymore to grab them. I run back to the guides and grab the other Witcher 2 guide. She rings both up and as I'm about to pay, she says that she should probably check with her manager. Manager is a complete *!@#hole and tells me that he can't sell them to me or they will get fined. He goes on to say that it's obviously a mistake because Best Buy wouldn't sell anything for a penny. I tell him I've bought guides from other stores and online for a penny in which he responds that I probably got a lot of people fired. So I say well how about if you just let me have them. He tells me he can't do that and they have to be sent back. I relented as I could tell he wasn't going to let me have them. First time that I ever got denied at a Best Buy.

In any event, hope the penny guides are back because I know my local stores won't have a problem selling them to me for a penny.[/QUOTE]

Should've just taken the one guide....

bread's done
Back