Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
If I buy the Dragon Age CE will this take off $20?
attachicon.gif
gs_guideq.png
Yes.

I am in need of a revelations guide. I don't mind getting a bit fucked in the ass for it but try and at least give me a deal. Just cause its selling for 70 doesn't man you make $70. There are fees involved people.
Are there 2 versions of this guide, 1st for the original 3DS release and 2nd for the console rerelease?

Are there 2 versions of this guide, 1st for the original 3DS release and 2nd for the console rerelease?
I think there's just the one guide that was released at the same time as the console versions, but the author points out that the guide's strategies are still valid for the 3DS version.

I was at a TRU yesterday and WOW. I grabbed:

- Pikmin 3

- LoZ: Link Between Worlds

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Lego City Undercover

- Lego Chima Legends

- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Thanks guys! Been looking for these guides for awhile and to think I was going to buy a few (LCU for example) for $8 at my local Half Price Books!

There's still some left at this TRU in Phoenix...I'm not telling where so do your homework children!

Or you could just kindly ask me in a PM.

Thanks to whoever posted the TRU drop. I was able to find Luigi's Mansion, DKCR 3D, Thief and Halo 4. I got an extra of each for trading purposes. I'm still looking for Pikmin 3 and Zelda: ALBW.

how frequently does TRU penny out their guides? I was lucky enough to have taken my daughter to TRU the first day of this last drop and scan some just because I was there.
Is it still possible to get penny guides at GameStop or are the stores supposed to just trash them?

how frequently does TRU penny out their guides? I was lucky enough to have taken my daughter to TRU the first day of this last drop and scan some just because I was there.
Is it still possible to get penny guides at GameStop or are the stores supposed to just trash them?
They're supposed to destroy them but there are still occasional instances where some people are able to get them. It's pretty rare though.

They're supposed to destroy them but there are still occasional instances where some people are able to get them. It's pretty rare though.
Yeah, depends upon the store and in some cases on the DM. The DM for one of the districts near me instilled the fear of God into some of his stores because the employees had been just keeping the guides and shirts/hats in the back until they pennied out and then taking them home. So all but one of the stores in his district are a dead zone.

So do you all just keep the penny guides or what do you do with them? I managed to get a few to keep and a few extra but not sure what to do with them. Feel like HPB would probably give me a dollar a piece...

So do you all just keep the penny guides or what do you do with them? I managed to get a few to keep and a few extra but not sure what to do with them. Feel like HPB would probably give me a dollar a piece...
Trade with other cags in your area. I usually buy a couple guides from others when we meet up.

I've been helping out CAGs who couldn't find them with the recent TRU drop.

Other than that, what I have left sometimes goes to HPB or whatnot.

CAG meet ups? I would totally participate in something like this. The regional deals section of the site is a dead space. How do these meet ups come to happen?
We try to do it through the regional threads. The Chicago thread is sort of active. We talk about meeting up every year, but it tends to be every 2 years. :grouphug:

Could you imagine what a CAG convention would be like. All of us penny pinching fools in one hall. Live CAGcast episodes with Q&A sessions would be interesting.

I went to a couple of TRU stores today and they must have been pretty good about getting rid of the guides the moment they get cleared out, they had nothing available anywhere.

I actually have a two dragon age guides still and a couple of the dark souls ones. Didn't realize the dark souls ones went up in value.

So who has one of these guys laying around:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Official-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930039/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I remember it never came to the US and was sold out immediately over in Europe so it became highly sought after.

OMGGG the lego marvel super heroes guide is 50+ used is that serious.  my toysrus has like 10+ of them.  i was just their yesterday.  if thats the case im going back tomorrow for sure!!!!

so happy i have a STACK of all of these. i dont sell my pennied guides for a reason. its a penny so hold for years then bank. i did that with harvest moon animal parade. paid 1 cent at gamestop sold it for 100$. think i have 2 or 3 darksouls guides,4 borderlands(never got em for a penny paid 30$ at gamestop but so worth it) dragon age i have 1 or 2 left. sadly i sold them when they were about 50-60$ and now they are crazy.

yea I sold a Mass Effect guide a couple of years ago for like $220 I believe? and the biggest ones I traded into Amazon were Star Ocean Last Hope international x 2 for 70 each and Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility for 40.

so yup guides can sell for a lot.

I just sold an Animal Crossing New Leaf guide for 70 bucks (via Amazon), so yeah the guides can sell for a lot.
Wow, I have one of those guides. Looks like it's going for the same price used. I might have to sell mine for that price. I am going to need to go through my guide collection and start selling some of them off. Since penny guides stopped at most places I stopped collecting them and it might be time to cash out of them.

We might only have 1 TRU in town, but it was a goldmine. The manager basically told the cashier to ring them up, but write the SKUs down so they could pull the rest. There was some Chima guides there too, but I don't like those small guides.

LwYSu6x.jpg

Last 3 are Assassin's Creed IV.

If anyone wants a trade, PM me.

Oh FYI, I also bought 2 Windwaker HD paperbacks, and Evolve to throw them off that I was just there for penny guides.

bread's done
Back