Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

So.... is the complete list Street Fighter IV, Indiana Jones Staff of Kings, Halo Wars, Mirrors Edge, Infamous, Terminator Salvation, Wolverine, Killzone, 2 and Star Ocean, Frosty?

Ugh, I think I missed this drop completely. I'm hoping I'll still score some guides tomorrow at BB, but I doubt it. :(

If only I had checked the thread an hour later than I did (I checked around 1:00PM today). I figured that drops usually get posted in the morning and rarely get found after 3... shit...

Nothing I can do now but hope some guides survived.

Any confirmation on other drops, Frosty? I'm going to try to hit BB tomorrow before I pick up Arkham Asylum from TRU and I don't want to miss any good guides. Most importantly, the Fallout 3 LE guide didn't penny did it?

Oh yeah sorry. Was fishing late after stopping in and forgot. I checked a lot of other guides but only the ones mentioned in the main thread dropped. It's weird to me that these ones dropped. Some that were deleted/discontinued recently while there's still some that are deleted/discontinued that have been for over 2 months. I'm talking with a few people tomorrow at work about switching days to get the 7th on. Even though it may be no point.
I only managed an extra Bionic Commando guide. There was a Terminator one left as well.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']So.... is the complete list Street Fighter IV, Indiana Jones Staff of Kings, Halo Wars, Mirrors Edge, Infamous, Terminator Salvation, Wolverine, Killzone, 2 and Star Ocean, Frosty?[/QUOTE]

These are a penny? Already have Killzone and Wolverine

What makes me laugh is that GTAIV hasn't pennied yet at either Gamestop or Best Buy, but yet BOTH Chinatown Wars AND Lost & The Damned pennied out at both Best Buy and Gamecrazy already.

The game's been out over a year now, so it's wayyyy past due to drop, but then again it took forever for San Andreas to drop to .01 .

EDIT: That's correct, ZMonkay. Unless someone reports and someone else can confirm that they both did indeed drop, they haven't as of yet.

thanks for the confirmations. Those would be the only ones I'd go out for. (especially since my BB only has 1 Star Ocean guide...)

Stop getting confused by what I said. Several pages ago I started talking about the status of pennied games. The ones I listed are potential drops because of their deleted or discontinued status. Most guides are Active and most likly won't drop yet.

Alright I did a little more research at work yesterday.
Every penny guide has deleted status. All the recent drops were deleted.

The current list of non-penny guides with discontinued status are: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Godfather 2, Pikmin, FEAR 2, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, LotR Conquest, Street Fighter IV, Prince of Persia (non-ce), Sonic Unleashed, Mirrors Edge, Far Cry 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed and Infamous.

I haven't seen a discontinued guide drop since I started working in February. The guides with the deleted status are: Resident Evil 5 LE, Halo Wars, Prince of Persia CE, Left 4 Dead, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Tomb Raider Underworld, Fallout 3 LE, Lego Batman and Star Ocean.

I believe the deleted ones will drop at some point before the discontinued ones. But hey, on Monday the 7th they could update to deleted and penny.

Other things I noticed. Metal Gear Solid 4, WWE Legends and Pirates whatever are pennied in store but are still on the website. Most of the discontinued guides are on the website still. Hopefully once they disappear they will penny.

That's all I got for now.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Alright I did a little more research at work yesterday.

The current list of non-penny guides with discontinued status are: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Godfather 2, Pikmin, FEAR 2, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, LotR Conquest, Street Fighter IV, Prince of Persia (non-ce), Sonic Unleashed, Mirrors Edge, Far Cry 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed and Infamous.

I haven't seen a discontinued guide drop since I started working in February. The guides with the deleted status are: Resident Evil 5 LE, Halo Wars, Prince of Persia CE, Left 4 Dead, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Tomb Raider Underworld, Fallout 3 LE, Lego Batman and Star Ocean.

I believe the deleted ones will drop at some point before the discontinued ones. But hey, on Monday the 7th they could update to deleted and penny.

Other things I noticed. Metal Gear Solid 4, WWE Legends and Pirates whatever are pennied in store but are still on the website. Most of the discontinued guides are on the website still. Hopefully once they disappear they will penny.

That's all I got for now.[/QUOTE]

Amazing that the Pirates guide is still on the site, considering that it pennied around a year ago.

Also, when the hell did WWE Legends drop?

I would also like some confirmation on WWE Legends of Wrestlemania as Frosty's post is the first time I heard it mentioned so far and I would like to have the guide just to see all the moves for the wrestlers

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Alright I did a little more research at work yesterday.

I believe the deleted ones will drop at some point before the discontinued ones. But hey, on Monday the 7th they could update to deleted and penny.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that these are .01 in the system at Best Buy? Or are you expecting them to drop to .01 very soon? Are there drops each week or just once a month?

Why Mondays? Is the 'system' only updated on Monday or Sunday night on order to be ready for Monday morning?

Penny guides fascinate me and I only recently found out about them. I usually buy guides for all of the games I buy and this is perfect for the games I have already bought and am waiting to play.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Are you saying that these are .01 in the system at Best Buy?[/QUOTE]
No. They are deleted or discontinued. Still in the system just next possible drops.

[quote name='Muthafodder'] Or are you expecting them to drop to .01 very soon?[/QUOTE]
I expect the deleted ones to drop next. No guarantees though.

[quote name='Muthafodder'] Are there drops each week or just once a month?[/QUOTE]
Usually it's the first Monday but sometimes not for 2-3 months or random out of nowhere drops, like last weeks.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Why Mondays? [/QUOTE]
They don't pay me enough to know that.

[quote name='Muthafodder'] Is the 'system' only updated on Monday or Sunday night on order to be ready for Monday morning?[/QUOTE]
I have no idea. I would think it's Sunday at midnight since that's when the new sales start.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Penny guides fascinate me and I only recently found out about them. I usually buy guides for all of the games I buy and this is perfect for the games I have already bought and am waiting to play.[/QUOTE]
Good luck finding them. Careful buying lots though. You make think people will want to trade so you'll grab 1-2-3 guides but then the piles start...

Speaking of
iconbestbuy.gif
time to suit up and get to work. yay...

If you buy a bunch before they take them off the shelves and destroy them, you will get bitched at by some idiots on here.

BTW, I sold a copy of Dead Space online(not on here) for $5!

[quote name='dabamus']If you buy a bunch before they take them off the shelves and destroy them, you will get bitched at by some idiots on here.

BTW, I sold a copy of Dead Space online(not on here) for $5![/QUOTE]

Why would anyone get 'bitched at' for buying a bunch? I mean, I can understand if someone buys EVERY copy of EVERY guide and then comes on here saying 'zomg I'm gonna Egay these and make SOOOOO much money', but the chances of that happening are slim to nil.

I used to do it all the time(grabbing everything), but then my local stores started to really crack down on them. Nowadays, grabbing 'everything' normally amounts to 2-4 guides at most and I still have a 50/50 chance of them saying NO at the register.

As for selling guides, I typically asked $5 per guide on here, which covered the cost of a mailer, postage and delivery confirmation and gave me a little bit when all was said and done.

I was able to pick up everything from BB's recent drop except for Dead Space and Bionic Commando. I've only gone to the 2 BBs that are worth checking out in my area so I may still get lucky. I was able to pick up a few extras to trade but I left behind about 15 copies of KZ2 (among others). One of the BB had Fable 2, MK vs DC and SWFU on clearance for $5 (YMMV).

I still haven't checked any BBVs for penny guides but I might have to get into that habit since they seem to be having more frequent drops.

Yesterday, I passed by a GS that is about 30 miles away from me and found a SO: First Departure guide. :whee:Also, I found a Valkyria Chronicles guide at a nearby GS. I had already checked that store before but I was looking for SO:FD and was surprised to see it there.

Go read the thread in the Deals forum. I got bitched out by a bunch of people for grabbing a bunch of guides, even though I left one or two of most of them at the one store.

[quote name='dabamus']Go read the thread in the Deals forum. I got bitched out by a bunch of people for grabbing a bunch of guides, even though I left one or two of most of them at the one store.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you were wrong. They way it seems now is that most BB are pulling the guides once someone starts buying them. To me it seems harder to find the guides. Better you get them while you can and trade to other CAGs if you want. I can't believe people complain about not getting a penny guide , but wasting time, gas, and paying a penny when they probably wouldn't have bought it int he first place makes it alright.

[quote name='dabamus']Go read the thread in the Deals forum. I got bitched out by a bunch of people for grabbing a bunch of guides, even though I left one or two of most of them at the one store.[/QUOTE]

The people on this forum will vilify anyone who buys more than one of anything. They have this utopian world view of "If I leave some, the next CAG who comes here will get them." That's not how it works. If you leave guides behind they will either get pulled, or wiped out by the next guy. Don't let the people who are bitching at you bother you, they're all just whining because they probably didn't get any guides for themselves.

I got one or two copies of the guides from each of two different stores. They went and pulled them right after I bought them at the first store, so I didn't get a chance to leave any there.

I left one or two of most of the guides at the second store.

Managed to find a Dead Space guide at BB (really the only thing I wanted from this drop). Scanned Fallout 3 LE and it's still $34.99.

Yep. FO3 LE is the one I'm waiting to pounce on. I have some scoped out already for me and friends.(and a CAG or two)

With guides I don't really see much harm in somebody taking a large chunk or all of them (except for alerting a clueless store that something funny is up) but with that being said personally I typically only grab 2 copies of anything good (one for me and one for the tradelist) sometimes I'll grab 3 if it's something better (IIRC I grabbed 3 Mario Galaxy Hardcovers when that dropped). I don't really have much of a use for so many guides as with too many it's a PITA to trade them all and I don't even grab 1 copy of a penny guide for a game I have no interest in ever playing. I don't have a place locally to trade in guides to either so that's out of the question.

I've gotten guides when they dropped right at opening or pretty early only and went back to try and grab a few more during the night shift before to see them pulled or certain guides gone as if they did a sloppy job pulling the penny guides or maybe some other people bought some guides. I think for most stores the window of opportunity is pretty small and now a days very few stores just leave them on the shelves for more then a few hours/days if they ain't prompt with pulling the guides before the store opens.

[quote name='dabamus']...(and a CAG or two)[/QUOTE]
:pray:

Oh no the debate I've been steering clear of found the discussion thread. Oh well here's a BB employees two guides. (Two cents get it!)
I say grab what you can. Most managers are so by the book it's scary. They will pull the guides asap. Usually the inventory crew that comes in at 7am will. If they don't they try to get to them later. If someone starts buying them they will be alerted sometimes. If the cashier just rings them up and it's done then it's usually done and the guides will remain. If a manager is called they will either let you buy them but pull the rest or take them and pull the rest.

I bought some guides from my store with no problems. Some of the inventory crew as worked at BB for 5+ years and there are still penny guides on the shelves. I think it's so low on the priority list it gets passed over for a while.

If you can trade or sell them on CAG that would be great. If everyone managed to get what you got and don't want it sitting around your house take it to Goodwill or make a paper mache Eiffel tower. I

I did see 3 copies of Mirror's Edge CE at BB, too, and was surprised when they rang up full price. For some reason, I had thought that they were pennied out a couple months ago.

[quote name='shieryda']I did see 3 copies of Mirror's Edge CE at BB, too, and was surprised when they rang up full price. For some reason, I had thought that they were pennied out a couple months ago.[/QUOTE]

They were pennied...at Gamestop though.

I think the new day to watch for drops is the fourth Monday of the month. That was the drop day for the last two drops, and I think that will be the drop day this month.

I checked a Killzone 2 at my BB in Honolulu, HI. Still 19.99, oddly enough our guides don't drop at the same time as the mainland.

[quote name='GuardianE']Wow, the Tales of Vesperia guide really took off in price. Think I should unload mine now?[/QUOTE]

I think it had to do with the $15 game price at Amazon recently. I bought mine then. I probably should get a guide somewhere, but that's sitting at the end of my monstrous backlog right now. :bomb:

I have to try and remember my Ebay sign-in and password, since the TOV guide may well be going on there and off of my TL. I've had at least 2-3 people try and get it off of me lately for guides for games I don't own or offer me like $5 shipped for 3-5 guides(including Xenosaga III and TOV).

Apparently 'really good offer' means '$5 shipped' for 3 guides that I could get about $150 for to some folks.

I've made my demands known to those who wanted the guides, but apparently a copy of Ghostbusters for PS3 is more than they're willing to part with for a guide.

Unload them while they're hot. Tales of Vesperia won't have the staying power of FFVII, so its 360 guide won't be as valuable down the road as FFVII's Versus guide is now. Especially when the PS3 version comes out.

They didn't even offer five bucks a guide shipped?

Well, they did say they had other games not on their TL, but I guess Ghostbusters for PS3 wasn't one of them or they weren't willing to part with a $50-60 game for two penny guides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I see both sides of the argument. I certainly wouldn't pay a full priced game for a guide, but I'm not a hardcore collector.

What's your anticipation for this Monday? An earlier poster had an interesting observation that the fourth Monday of recent months has contained drops for Best Buy.

Honestly, with how diligent my local BB stores have been regarding drops anymore, I've all but given up on getting them. But I would say that the drops may still be at their normal time(first Monday).

I'm working the 4th Monday, the 28th I think? I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'll only be closing soon so I won't have any solid info till 4pm or so. That's usually to late but I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='loxthefox']I concur. It seems like Best Buy always has a sizeable drop in October, along with the summer drops being all screwy.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing since I seem to recall them having a good drop late October last year.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently 'really good offer' means '$5 shipped' for 3 guides that I could get about $150 for to some folks.[/QUOTE]
$150 is a bit much. But you can definitely get $60-80.

Actually, I'm getting a mint/complete copy of Ghostbusters for PS3 for the TOV guide, so I'm gonna say I didn't make out too bad on this trade compared with some others I've done before.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I'm getting a mint/complete copy of Ghostbusters for PS3 for the TOV guide, so I'm gonna say I didn't make out too bad on this trade compared with some others I've done before.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Yeah, that's a good swap. Guides aren't worth games to me so I rarely trade like that. I think we've all had some trades that we've looked back on with remorse.

I had found 2 Vesperia guides at BB while an employee was clearing out the pennied guides. I grabbed them and she started to approach me. Luckily at that very moment my wife called me on my cell. I just started yapping and walked away. The employee just turned around and went back to the guides. :D

I had two more TOV guides in my grasp at a further BB that was much better for getting guides from, since the local ones have REALLY cracked down. You practically have to hide in the damn store the night before a drop to get ANYTHING, since the guides that penny are properly pulled anymore before the store even opens.

Unfortunately, I got one of the employees who scanned, cancelled and then rescanned everything, then went off and got a manager, who told her to come back and say she could charge me full price that the .01 price was a 'computer glitch'.

There are aparently some decent employees at GS still.

I went into one today and found the Halo Wars guide and took it to the register.

The guy said he had been looking for it earlier. His fellow employee told him to wait until the fellow employee was done ringing in a trade, and then when the trader left, they just gave me the guide. :)

The second to last Monday is when all the latest BB drops have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if a drop happened today. I'm stuck in school at college until 5:00 today... is anyone else planning to check for drops?

bread's done
Back