Renew your Gamer's Club Unlocked Membership and get 250 RZ Points ($5)

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I haven't seen anyone else post this so I thought I'd just mention it since many of us signed up the first day we could last year and our subscription is almost up.

Got an email about a week ago stating that if we renew our Gamer's Club Unlocked membership "before it expires" that we will receive 250 Reward Zone points ($5) for doing so. Effectively making the yearly membership only $10 (an even sweeter deal for those of us paying for the membership with trade in credit). There didn't appear to be a special link or anything like that, and the easiest way to renew would probably be when you are already buying something else (if your membership is almost expired it will prompt the cashier to ask if you would like to renew when you use your RZ card while checking out). Remember to grab a copy of this month's issue when you do!

A nice bonus for singing up for an already great program.

[quote name='io']Hmmm - I never got this email and mine expires in less than a week.

I'm not sure if I want to renew. The only thing I use it for is the magazine coupons. It definitely was worth it last year, but I just have a feeling the coupons won't be as great going forward. I dunno...

It just seems that paying cash to renew is just, well, wrong, you know? Renewing GS PUR Pro is a no-brainer because it is all credit and I get that back many times over just from trades. But Best Buy made some random decision in Dec/Jan that I couldn't trade any more (I think I hit their undisclosed limit of 50 or 100 games traded in - of course they can't give me a definitive reason) so I haven't had credit there for a while. As a result shop there much less - only when there's something like the current BF3 coupon/Witcher 2 RZ deal.[/QUOTE]Is there any other better reason? I used flips 2 payoff my subs long ago though. Gotta be honest though the coupons aren't going to get worse they're using them as "stock clearing devices" & they having huge success with it. The cycle will continue b/c it's profitable. Right now it's clear the BF3 coupon was timed to get them off the shelves so the premium edition will have no competition.
But let's say over the next 10 issues only 4 of them have games that make you buy a mag that's $20 right there & with the price BB has it could be 4 games LOL. Do 1 flip & you got the $15.

I renewed mine yesterday. At the store I went to they seemed to lose their dedicated gaming person because every time I am in there it's someone covering more than one area and they have no clue about gaming or how to do anything. Yesterday I had to ask the guy 3 times to renew my membership and it was almost like he was trying to "forget" because he didn't know how to do it. He had to call a bunch of people on the radio because he didn't know how to do it. Today it shows that my membership is renewed until 9/14/13 so I guess they figured it out.

A year into this and Best Buy still has major growing pains with it's trades. I trade at least once a month and if it doesn't take 15-20 minutes then I'm not at Best Buy. GameStop still has the process down better/quicker but obviously I am trading at Best Buy because it's more advantageous.

I've bought enough used, not a bunch, but enough I probably paid off the membership with that 10%. I know I've more than paid off the membership through trades with the 10% bonus. I've paid off the membership many times over with the magazine coupons, so much that sometimes I even purchase additional copies of the magazine to maximize profits.

[quote name='io']Hmmm - I never got this email and mine expires in less than a week.

I'm not sure if I want to renew. The only thing I use it for is the magazine coupons. It definitely was worth it last year, but I just have a feeling the coupons won't be as great going forward. I dunno...

It just seems that paying cash to renew is just, well, wrong, you know? Renewing GS PUR Pro is a no-brainer because it is all credit and I get that back many times over just from trades. But Best Buy made some random decision in Dec/Jan that I couldn't trade any more (I think I hit their undisclosed limit of 50 or 100 games traded in - of course they can't give me a definitive reason) so I haven't had credit there for a while. As a result shop there much less - only when there's something like the current BF3 coupon/Witcher 2 RZ deal.

I would renew it if this $5 RZ deal was a guarantee - but it seems like maybe it was only offered to some people? The odd thing is that up till a few weeks ago they bugged me every time I checked out to renew my Gamers Club since a message popped up on the register letting them know I was about to expire. When I bought Kid Icarus today I noticed that not only did they not ask me to renew, it never even popped up a message saying I was part of GCU let alone that it was about to expire. I should still be good through Sept. 11 and I did get the last magazine in the mail (yep - just checked RZ online and it says Sept. 11).[/QUOTE]

don't forget if you're pre-ordering any of the big games coming up this fall & you're rewards unlocked you get a $20 reward zone cert, well worth renewing right there

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']I renewed mine yesterday. At the store I went to they seemed to lose their dedicated gaming person because every time I am in there it's someone covering more than one area and they have no clue about gaming or how to do anything. Yesterday I had to ask the guy 3 times to renew my membership and it was almost like he was trying to "forget" because he didn't know how to do it. He had to call a bunch of people on the radio because he didn't know how to do it. Today it shows that my membership is renewed until 9/14/13 so I guess they figured it out.

A year into this and Best Buy still has major growing pains with it's trades. I trade at least once a month and if it doesn't take 15-20 minutes then I'm not at Best Buy. GameStop still has the process down better/quicker but obviously I am trading at Best Buy because it's more advantageous.

I've bought enough used, not a bunch, but enough I probably paid off the membership with that 10%. I know I've more than paid off the membership through trades with the 10% bonus. I've paid off the membership many times over with the magazine coupons, so much that sometimes I even purchase additional copies of the magazine to maximize profits.[/QUOTE]
One of the many Gamestop paid promoters on this site! Bravo!!! :lol:

It just seems that paying cash to renew is just, well, wrong, you know? Renewing GS PUR Pro is a no-brainer because it is all credit and I get that back many times over just from trades. But Best Buy made some random decision in Dec/Jan that I couldn't trade any more (I think I hit their undisclosed limit of 50 or 100 games traded in - of course they can't give me a definitive reason) so I haven't had credit there for a while. As a result shop there much less - only when there's something like the current BF3 coupon/Witcher 2 RZ deal.

I would renew it if this $5 RZ deal was a guarantee - but it seems like maybe it was only offered to some people? The odd thing is that up till a few weeks ago they bugged me every time I checked out to renew my Gamers Club since a message popped up on the register letting them know I was about to expire. When I bought Kid Icarus today I noticed that not only did they not ask me to renew, it never even popped up a message saying I was part of GCU let alone that it was about to expire. I should still be good through Sept. 11 and I did get the last magazine in the mail (yep - just checked RZ online and it says Sept. 11).[/QUOTE]

So many Gamestop paid promoters on this site! Bravo Gamestop!!! :lol:

[quote name='leopaw']So many Gamestop paid promoters on this site! Bravo Gamestop!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I get where IO's coming from. I was hesitant to go full GU but after I bought two mags, I bought the membership and it was worth it. So not only did I made full use of the coupons but the 10% trades helped get my BB credit past $400 just by flipping GS credit. So I keep both PUR and GU and just stack bonuses as I trade between the two.

However, if you don't have much BB credit like IO seems to imply, it might not be worth the cash to pay for GU or if you're in the other boat, PUR.

I would renew if my current subscription wasn't good until June of next year. Renewing would be gambling that Best Buy will still be in business in mid-2014. I mean, I sure as hell hope it will be, but I feel like it's a 50/50 chance.

I haven't gotten my 250 pts either and I renew on August 1st before any emails were sent out, as my membership was set to expire in mid September. It updated my expiration date almost instantly after I checked a few days after renewing. The guy at the register basically just scanned the generic Gamer's Club Unlocked barcode they use for new subscriptions because that's all he had but it renewed it nonetheless. I'll probably wait a little longer then give BB a call.

[quote name='shiro13']I got the email but every time I click the link, it just sent me to bestbuy.com[/QUOTE]
I fell for that too. You have to renew in-store.

[quote name='Captain Andreas']don't forget if you're pre-ordering any of the big games coming up this fall & you're rewards unlocked you get a $20 reward zone cert, well worth renewing right there[/QUOTE]

Meh, after the fiasco of their buy 5 games deal last year I'm hesitant to do that. I have a couple of the qualifying games already preordered at Amazon where I can, once again, use credit as opposed to cash. So even though it costs a bit more it is worth it.

[quote name='leopaw']So many Gamestop paid promoters on this site! Bravo Gamestop!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Damn - that reminds me, GS is late with my check this month ;). I suppose you can add Amazon to my list of sponsors after my previous comment too. Actually, I'm just kind of anti-Best Buy more than pro-GS or Amazon. Both GS and Amazon have a much much better run trade-in program. Trade-in limits are perfectly fine - Amazon has them in place, for example. But they need to be applied before they accept games, not afterwards. In other words, don't ban people randomly without telling them the parameters of your trade-in program or they may not look favorably upon your operation as a whole. GS would never, ever, do this and I've traded at least 10x (if not more) the amount of stuff to GS as I ever did to Best Buy. So, yeah, I'll give them my business when I can over Best Buy any day. I still have a ton of credit there (and a lesser amount at Amazon) vs. zilch at Best Buy.

And to top it off, I have noticed the exact same thing that PhoenixAZ noticed above - that the dedicated gaming guy is never there any more and some random dude is always covering the gaming section. The guy that used to be there nearly every time I went in was a hardcore gamer and would talk about all sorts of games with me. If he was still there, I'd probably have renewed already and maybe even dropped a preorder or two. But the half-assed coverage they have now does not inspire any purchases beyond the loss-leader coupon deals.

[quote name='bob330i']
However, if you don't have much BB credit like IO seems to imply, it might not be worth the cash to pay for GU or if you're in the other boat, PUR.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I have a hard time plunking down $15 in cash for a GCU membership, even though I know I will probably get that back just in coupons.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that successfully renewed a current subscription in-store, what did you do? When I was there and they scanned my RZ card, it asked if I wanted to renew and "yes" was the only option - but when the person clicked it, nothing changed and there was no extra amount due...? Nothing has changed on the MRZ website either.

They have to scan the barcode from the pamphlet about the club. Really screwed up. I mean, why prompt the cashier to ask, give them the ability to click "yes" or "no" and then do nothing... sigh, Best Buy's tech department, what can you do?

[quote name='BudzMcGee']They have to scan the barcode from the pamphlet about the club. Really screwed up. I mean, why prompt the cashier to ask, give them the ability to click "yes" or "no" and then do nothing... sigh, Best Buy's tech department, what can you do?[/QUOTE]

Is it any sort of special barcode, or is it the same barcode as if I was joining up for the first time?

Actually, IO, I'm banned from trading at GS even with a current PUR card. No explanation given. I traded a ton of stuff in and think I know the jr detective that got me.

so can i renew if my subscription expires in june of next year? Im not sure if they would add an addtional year or if you can only renew when your subscription expires soon

[quote name='bringerofdeath']so can i renew if my subscription expires in june of next year? Im not sure if they would add an addtional year or if you can only renew when your subscription expires soon[/QUOTE]They just add more time on your sub.

[quote name='FadeToOne']I wonder if I will actually get a welcome kit this year... never got one last year.[/QUOTE]Did you tell them?

[quote name='bob330i']I get where IO's coming from. I was hesitant to go full GU but after I bought two mags, I bought the membership and it was worth it. So not only did I made full use of the coupons but the 10% trades helped get my BB credit past $400 just by flipping GS credit. So I keep both PUR and GU and just stack bonuses as I trade between the two.

However, if you don't have much BB credit like IO seems to imply, it might not be worth the cash to pay for GU or if you're in the other boat, PUR.[/QUOTE]Yeah, that's thing people wait to long until they already pay most of the $15 in towards single issues before just joining. I also would say it's smart to keep both since the flips help get points/credit on both ends which pays for both subs.

There's times where I buy games @ BB just to flip to GS b/c the credit is so much then reverse it back to BB but I got all the RZ points on the front end. Generally, though if you're buying alot of games the credit will build @ BB anyways not to mention the games that come with credit every 30 days points should be hitting but I'd still say spennding $10 cash for a game is better than $30 credit b/c if you know how to use it the $30 credit can become $60 credit.

[quote name='knight19']For those that successfully renewed a current subscription in-store, what did you do? When I was there and they scanned my RZ card, it asked if I wanted to renew and "yes" was the only option - but when the person clicked it, nothing changed and there was no extra amount due...? Nothing has changed on the MRZ website either.[/QUOTE]You can get a printout from the gaming kiosk for subs once scanned it'll automatically re-up you.

[quote name='io']Damn - that reminds me, GS is late with my check this month ;). I suppose you can add Amazon to my list of sponsors after my previous comment too. Actually, I'm just kind of anti-Best Buy more than pro-GS or Amazon. Both GS and Amazon have a much much better run trade-in program. Trade-in limits are perfectly fine - Amazon has them in place, for example. But they need to be applied before they accept games, not afterwards. In other words, don't ban people randomly without telling them the parameters of your trade-in program or they may not look favorably upon your operation as a whole. GS would never, ever, do this and I've traded at least 10x (if not more) the amount of stuff to GS as I ever did to Best Buy. So, yeah, I'll give them my business when I can over Best Buy any day. I still have a ton of credit there (and a lesser amount at Amazon) vs. zilch at Best Buy.

And to top it off, I have noticed the exact same thing that PhoenixAZ noticed above - that the dedicated gaming guy is never there any more and some random dude is always covering the gaming section. The guy that used to be there nearly every time I went in was a hardcore gamer and would talk about all sorts of games with me. If he was still there, I'd probably have renewed already and maybe even dropped a preorder or two. But the half-assed coverage they have now does not inspire any purchases beyond the loss-leader coupon deals.[/QUOTE]
After the way I was treated by Gamestops' local DM where I was accused of stealing shit from them and by their definition 'taking advantage of the system'(read: being a smart consumer than their usual customers and only trading in shit that benefited me;):evil:) I won't give GS a penny of real cash EVER again.

Which reminds me I need to call on this old e-Rewards gc, since for some reason the remaining balance is no longer coming up even in GS' system. I don't think it was much really, but every penny helps, especially when I only intend on spending what's on the gc's and nothing more.

On topic, since BB has started to spam me with 'extra' offers like telling me I'll get RZ points if I sign up for a cruise from one of their 'partners', I've been deleting most of the BB emails without reading them anymore. Hopefully I didn't delete the one like this one, since my GCU is up in less than a month. But at this point I think I have $4 and change on a trade credit gc and nothing more there right now. So unless I blow through Prototype 2 and trade that in before the 100% promo ends, I don't see me renewing the GCU.

Of course it doesn't hurt that my @Gamer sub is supposedly going on for much, much longer than my GCU sub according to the @Gamer site. So as long as I keep getting the issues of the mag after the GCU expires, I'll just use them with the free Gamers' Club whenever there's a deal going that I want to get in on.

But like you, I forsee the magazine coupons getting much worse. As it stands, this months' is pretty horrible for someone like me who is a one platform gamer right now who never buys the overpriced 'premium' headsets or games on PC or Mac.

I renewed today....however, the Best Buy employee just scanned the Gamer Unlocked pamphlet. I paid the $14.99...but was that the correct way to do it?

[quote name='doubledown']I renewed today....however, the Best Buy employee just scanned the Gamer Unlocked pamphlet. I paid the $14.99...but was that the correct way to do it?[/QUOTE]

I hope so. That's how I did it.

[quote name='confoosious']I hope so. That's how I did it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is exactly how the renewal is supposed to be done. Check your RZ account within the next week and you should see the "RZ Gamers Club Unlocked through" date update. It is right underneath your name and member number.

i got my welcome package from BB the other day and one of the coupons i got was a buy 2 get 1 deal on new games valued at 39.99. Does that mean i have to spend atleast 40$ on a brand new game? so i can get three 60$ games? or i can only buy games that are 39.99?

My Reward zone status is updated, but damn it, I don't see the @gamer magazin subscription reflecting the change. It still says expired September 2012.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I haven't seen anyone else post this so I thought I'd just mention it since many of us signed up the first day we could last year and our subscription is almost up.

Got an email about a week ago stating that if we renew our Gamer's Club Unlocked membership "before it expires" that we will receive 250 Reward Zone points ($5) for doing so. Effectively making the yearly membership only $10 (an even sweeter deal for those of us paying for the membership with trade in credit). There didn't appear to be a special link or anything like that, and the easiest way to renew would probably be when you are already buying something else (if your membership is almost expired it will prompt the cashier to ask if you would like to renew when you use your RZ card while checking out). Remember to grab a copy of this month's issue when you do!

A nice bonus for singing up for an already great program.[/QUOTE]

I renewed last week. I better have received my bonus points.

[quote name='dc delta90']Yes, this is exactly how the renewal is supposed to be done. Check your RZ account within the next week and you should see the "RZ Gamers Club Unlocked through" date update. It is right underneath your name and member number.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, I did already do that and it said 2013. Totally forgot I did that. :D

Drugs take their toll, kids.

Yep, mine updated to 2013....now, I wonder if I will get the $5 bonus. I did get an email stating to RESTART MY QUEST, but I didn't see anything about a $5 RZ cert. Maybe I will e-mail in a few days to "inquire".

[quote name='kouleefoh']My Reward zone status is updated, but damn it, I don't see the @gamer magazin subscription reflecting the change. It still says expired September 2012.[/QUOTE]

Same here, has anybody's @gamer magazine account been updated since they renewed?

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Same here, has anybody's @gamer magazine account been updated since they renewed?[/QUOTE]

oh wait, misread it.

Let me double check the @gamer site.

So, I just got silver applied to my account...Is the 60 day pm window retroactive? Are my points retroactive for this year? Is there a CAG silver thread?

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Same here, has anybody's @gamer magazine account been updated since they renewed?[/QUOTE]
Mine still hasn't. I'm pretty sure they'll just give you a new subscription. My hope is that it won't be a 2 month wait.

[quote name='slowdive21']So, I just got silver applied to my account...Is the 60 day pm window retroactive? Are my points retroactive for this year? Is there a CAG silver thread?[/QUOTE]
unless the rules changed in the last year or so, you only get the 60 day window for purchases you made after turning silver. those made earlier in the calendar year don't count. can't hurt to doublecheck since i don't know of any recent rule changes that may have occurred.

I'm going to let mine expire on the 16th and see if they renew it for free. I have a feeling they will offer something rather than lose long time, valued customers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']After the way I was treated by Gamestops' local DM where I was accused of stealing shit from them and by their definition 'taking advantage of the system'(read: being a smart consumer than their usual customers and only trading in shit that benefited me;):evil:)[/QUOTE]
You don't need an account at gamestop to do a trade-in. Banning you is only stopping you from getting the 10% extra... Not a huge deal.

I renewed on the 17th of August, but nothing ever showed up on the website and I got the "restart your quest" e-mail yesterday. Since I needed to price match Madden 13, I decided to ask about the GCU renewal at the same time. Of course, it took 40 minutes and two reps to tend to both situations, and in the end, their system shorted me a week on my subscription. The old expiration date was 09/15/2012, and the new expiration date is showing as 09/08/2013.

no, if gamestop wants they will ban you from trading in.
i can buy whatever i want, but gamestop sunset hills says i can't trade in there ever again, lol.

I renewed yesterday since I wanted to buy another magazine anyway (to get another copy of Battlefield 3) and I figured instead of spending $5 on that, I'd just renew and get the magazine for "free" along with the renewal.

My account reflected the renewal almost right away. When I was home an hour later it already showed my membership going through Sept. 2013 on my RZ account.

I'm not counting on getting the $5 in RZ points, though, and am not sure I'd ever bother calling in about that as I still have no idea where/when this was advertized. I got an email this morning saying "Thanks for reloading". So, anyway, now that I've done that, watch the program go in the tank ;).

I also returned something using the new 60 day window for the first time yesterday. It was nice how I had to explain to the CS rep how that all worked as they initially denied my return for being over 30 days and then again for being over 45 days. It even said the new 60 day policy right on the receipt I had. Gotta love Best Buy!

[quote name='io']
I'm not counting on getting the $5 in RZ points, though, and am not sure I'd ever bother calling in about that as I still have no idea where/when this was advertized. I got an email this morning saying "Thanks for reloading". So, anyway, now that I've done that, watch the program go in the tank ;).

![/QUOTE]
I emailed them the day I saw this thread asking about the promotion and if I'd get the 250 points. Someone emailed back the next day saying that the "promotion doesn't exist", the 250 points is probably a customer satisfaction thing. Then he says no worry, and put 500 points on my account.

[quote name='io'] It was nice how I had to explain to the CS rep how that all worked as they initially denied my return for being over 30 days and then again for being over 45 days. It even said the new 60 day policy right on the receipt I had. Gotta love Best Buy![/QUOTE]

That's my biggest complaint with Best Buy. You have to argue with them about their own fucking sales and promotions, they are clueless about them and they refuse to honor them.

I called today to ask how long it should take for the points to post just cause I had some time to do so. Woman was aware of the offer, but wasn't sure everyone was offered it. She couldn't find an answer as to when the promo points should post. She guessed they would post soon as the purchase of the membership renew post to the reward zone account. Because she couldn't find an answer she just gave me 250 points though. Maybe I'll get lucky and get both.

[quote name='pun123']I renewed Friday 9/7 and points were in today 9/9, sweet.[/QUOTE]
The 250 bonus points???
[quote name='kouleefoh']I emailed them the day I saw this thread asking about the promotion and if I'd get the 250 points. Someone emailed back the next day saying that the "promotion doesn't exist", the 250 points is probably a customer satisfaction thing. Then he says no worry, and put 500 points on my account.[/QUOTE]
I actually received the email promoting the 250 point bonus. Saved it of course so I can say "oh really, then what's this?"

[quote name='klimb22']The 250 bonus points???

I actually received the email promoting the 250 point bonus. Saved it of course so I can say "oh really, then what's this?"[/QUOTE]
I think it might be for selected members only and as usual, the reps don't know what they're talking about. But they are very quick on offering RZ points so it's all good. =)

So i renewed my membership on 8/21 and the account never updated, the date on my account expired, so now my unlocked membership isnt on my account at all even though the transaction for the purchase has cleared. Going to have alot of fun calling in tomorrow.... Best Buy is so frustrating sometimes.

bread's done
Back