Resident Evil 4 Wii - $19.99 on Black Friday! 750,000 copies sold around the globe!

I've seen lots of death animations. (I suck). (Baghead can kiss my butt.)
Minor spoiler request:
are the "treasures" (spinel, ruby, jewelry, etc.) good for anything except selling for cash? in other words, can I sell them at the next opportunity and not screw myself up? Also, somehow I managed to miss the first shotgun, but I did get the second one.

[quote name='dtcarson']I've seen lots of death animations. (I suck). (Baghead can kiss my butt.)
Minor spoiler request:
are the "treasures" (spinel, ruby, jewelry, etc.) good for anything except selling for cash? in other words, can I sell them at the next opportunity and not screw myself up? Also, somehow I managed to miss the first shotgun, but I did get the second one.[/quote]if it doesn't show up in your breifcase adn you can sell it, do so. Just keep in mind, som etreasure say "Looks like something was placedin here at some point" which means it is missing something that you can put in there. Selling a treasure combined like that is far more money than selling it piece by piece.

What's the big deal about the rifle? So it uses the nunchauk, no big deal, I can still aim it perfectly, never really had a problem with it.

[quote name='Roufuss']What's the big deal about the rifle? So it uses the nunchauk, no big deal, I can still aim it perfectly, never really had a problem with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the rifle aim's well with the analog stick. I usually reserve it for distance/slow & powerful enemies so it doesn't bother me.

I just finished the prison part... I forgot how crazy those huge bugs were.

[quote name='Roufuss']What's the big deal about the rifle? So it uses the nunchauk, no big deal, I can still aim it perfectly, never really had a problem with it.[/QUOTE]
The stick is definitely useable but I just don't understand why they would change the control just for the rifle.

Maybe they thought it would be too powerful with the motion movement.

[quote name='Puzznic']The stick is definitely useable but I just don't understand why they would change the control just for the rifle. [/QUOTE]
I agree. I don't see why people are defending the rifle. Of course it's usable, that's not the point. The point is that this is more than a simple port, it's an attempt to experience an old game with new controls. So why update some controls and not others (especially something as intuitive as scoping around with the rifles)?

OMG, I HATE VERDUGO!!!
I tried many times to beat him but I end up wasting too much ammo and at least 3 heals. I used a combination of broken butterfly, semi auto rifle and striker at the nitrogens. Glad I saved the rocket launcher for his sorry ass.

Man all this talk about this game makes me want to open my copy. Unfortunately I am in like world 5 on Super Paper Mario, I'm addicted to crackdown, and I just started my Managerial Accounting course yesterday (15 week course in 6 weeks). :whistle2:( It's probably not a good idea to have 3 games started at once cuz I'll never finish them.

Well, one year later, different console, still die at the village entrance. :D I will probably always suck at this game. Time to read back through this thread and find out which house I'm supposed to know has a shotgun in it.

At least this time I made it through the first batch of people. The reinforcements got me when I tried to go back and pick up ammo. Oops.

[quote name='gokou36']OMG, I HATE VERDUGO!!!
I tried many times to beat him but I end up wasting too much ammo and at least 3 heals. I used a combination of broken butterfly, semi auto rifle and striker at the nitrogens. Glad I saved the rocket launcher for his sorry ass.
[/QUOTE]

gave me all sorts of trouble too, i even kicked him

[quote name='bmulligan']Why can't I find this game anywhere? There were none today at FYE, Meijer, Target, Gamestop, Gamerush, or EB games.[/quote]
It was sold out at various stores on the second day it was released. Hopefully this and the sells of Manhunt 2 give developers a hint that we would like "mature" games on the Wii as well.

[quote name='yukine']It was sold out at various stores on the second day it was released. Hopefully this and the sells of Manhunt 2 give developers a hint that we would like "mature" games on the Wii as well.[/quote]

Not if the ESRB can help it.

[quote name='bmulligan']Why can't I find this game anywhere? There were none today at FYE, Meijer, Target, Gamestop, Gamerush, or EB games.[/quote]

I couldn't find it either so I took it as a sign not to waste any more money on RE4.

Who am I kidding? I'll pick it up in a moment of weakness eventually.

I think i'm convinced that Wii Normal mode is not the same as GC Normal mode. I don't remember my health dropping so much against regular enemies on the GC. Also,
Regenerators are definitely harder. Apparently they have another plaga on their back, I looked it up and people said they only had that in the GC Pro mode. I never played Pro mode on GC but it sure as hell seem like I am on the Wii.

[quote name='gokou36']I think i'm convinced that Wii Normal mode is not the same as GC Normal mode. I don't remember my health dropping so much against regular enemies on the GC. Also,
Regenerators are definitely harder. Apparently they have another plaga on their back, I looked it up and people said they only had that in the GC Pro mode. I never played Pro mode on GC but it sure as hell seem like I am on the Wii.
[/quote]

RE4 drops the difficulty if you die a lot. If the difficulty seems harder, it may be because you're dying a lot less. These difficulty drops can be tangible, like in the castle
the cage that drops on you and the huge enemy melee... if the difficulty factor is low enough, the garrador (claw guy) won't spawn.
. I also definitely remember at least one of those dudes in your spoiler
having the plaga on his back
in the GC version.

to me it does feel a lil harder, but i am thinking thats because i played through the game a ton on the gc, and most of those times i already had the killer weapons making things a ton easier.

[quote name='javeryh']Who am I kidding? I'll pick it up in a moment of weakness eventually.[/quote] QFT. Two days ago I was like, "I just played through this on the GC last year. I don't need this." Today, I see it for 28.99 on buy.com with free shipping, and I have a $5 gift cert sitting in my account. Feeling....weak....

[quote name='RollingSkull']RE4 drops the difficulty if you die a lot. If the difficulty seems harder, it may be because you're dying a lot less. These difficulty drops can be tangible, like in the castle
the cage that drops on you and the huge enemy melee... if the difficulty factor is low enough, the garrador (claw guy) won't spawn.
. I also definitely remember at least one of those dudes in your spoiler
having the plaga on his back
in the GC version.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that...

Speaking of cage part, I just got to it last night and I forgot about it completely. I walk into the room and bam! The claw guy comes and I die.

The part where I first noticed the scaling on the difficulty (based on the number of continues, I think) is in the first part of the castle, so it's 3-1, when you walk into the room after turning off the firebreathing dogs and run into an assload of monks (with the archers above). If you die a bunch in there, they scale things back by first taking away the archers, then the number of enemies, and so on.

It's the reason why I usually re-load from a save point than continue. On my very first playthrough of the GC, I was in a big hurry to finish so I continued through everything, but as I've played the game since then, I think it's better to play from save points if you die. Otherwise the difficulty just isn't quite right.

The game just kicks ass. There's nothing like a good zombie stomp with all the lights turned out to get the blood flowing. As much as I've played the game, I still get those "holy shit" moments that scare the hell out of me and cause me to waste ammo or otherwise momentarily freak out. Example: I was playing sniper yesterday and I'd thought I'd cleared the whole area even though the music was still going. So I'm looking far into the distance with the scope and I swing the scope to the left only to see a huge, pissed-off zombie mug staring back at me. I leapt out of the couch and nearly pissed myself. It's good fun.

Wow, I had no idea about the difficulty scaling. That's a bit sad because I always just continue because it is a little faster than reloading a save. Almost makes me want to start over...

Just beat the house part. Man, this game is great. The controls add the same flavor to it as they did for Twilight Princess. Not that the game is fundamentally different or even better, per sey, but it's just a hair more submerssive.
After beating the big fish thing, I was frantically hacking at that rope with my remote. ;)

It's almost like the game was designed for these controls and just put ouot before they were available.

Finally beat this just now. Took me 16:30 to do the job.

Saddler is still a bitch in this version. You can just use your handgun to shoot him in his eyes and then stab him until Ada tosses the Rocket Launcher

[quote name='Purple Flames']Finally beat this just now. Took me 16:30 to do the job.

Saddler is still a bitch in this version. You can just use your handgun to shoot him in his eyes and then stab him until Adad tosses the Rocket Launcher
[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. the final boss is a joke.

I actually liked the scaling difficulty. I probably would have never finished it on the GC without it. Took me over 22 hours and 90 some deaths as is. :D

[quote name='Purple Flames']Finally beat this just now. Took me 16:30 to do the job.

Saddler is still a bitch in this version. You can just use your handgun to shoot him in his eyes and then stab him until Ada tosses the Rocket Launcher
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that battle sucked. The real boss battle in the game was the one with
Krauser

Does anyone know how long the Buy.com Google checkout promo will last? I want to pounce on this but I haven't been able to get to the bank to put some money in.

I really can't wait to get this its not a matter of if but when, I enjoyed the GC version so much and I still play mercs to this day.

[quote name='lonestar']Can you use a Gamecube controller with the game?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but why the hell would you want to? The Wii version kicks the shit out of the PS2/Cube controls.

Also, you guys are smoking crack about the difficulty scaling. RE4 never had difficulty scaling and it definitely doesn't in the Wii version. The game is the exact same as the PS2 version, but with the Cube visuals. This has been stated in reviews, previews and officially by Capcom many, many times, yet everyone keeps saying stupid shit like the difficulty adapts to your ability, or there's more ammo in the levels, or that it's been censored. It's all fucking bullshit. The only difference from the PS2 version is that it's on the Wii, with Wii controls, and Cube quality graphics.

Quit spreading your lies.

[quote name='redgopher']Yes, but why the hell would you want to? The Wii version kicks the shit out of the PS2/Cube controls.

Also, you guys are smoking crack about the difficulty scaling. RE4 never had difficulty scaling and it definitely doesn't in the Wii version. The game is the exact same as the PS2 version, but with the Cube visuals. This has been stated in reviews, previews and officially by Capcom many, many times, yet everyone keeps saying stupid shit like the difficulty adapts to your ability, or there's more ammo in the levels, or that it's been censored. It's all fucking bullshit. The only difference from the PS2 version is that it's on the Wii, with Wii controls, and Cube quality graphics.

Quit spreading your lies.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are wrong. I read one of the faqs at gamefaqs and it said there were 4 plagas on the regenerators in normal mode and 5 in pro. RollingSkull even said this. I died a buttload on the GC and I guess the game scaled back which made them only having the 3 plagas instead of 4. The BradyGames GC strategy guide even says once you get to the commando island the game scales to what you have in your inventory so some areas that have the item may or may not have it. I'm not sure if they mentioned about mob scaling but its definitely in the game.

Now, someone on the gamefaqs board said that this version is the same as the Europe version, where mobs are harder and ammo drop is less. This makes sense, because the mobs are definitely harder ever since the beginning and various people have said ammo drop is less.

Edit : And to answer your other comment about it being censored, it was censored in Japan.

Definitely scaling difficulty in the GC version. I had the example noted earlier of the claw guy in the cage not being there after dying and reloading 4 or 5 times and numerous other examples.

I never ruled out the possibility that the Wii version stuck to the PS2 version's lighter on the ammo gameplay balance. The fact that the difficulty scales to the number of times you continue, however, is indisputable.

Thank God for the scalling, I recall having trouble on the PS2 version and I recall it being way harder for me. But on this Wii version I am racing through almost too fast. Its so much fun!

[quote name='Snake2715']Wait it gets easier? That sucks.[/QUOTE]

You can reload your saves rather than continuing if you don't want it to scale the difficulty.

As I said before, I liked the idea personally as it kept the game challenging for me without making me want to chuck my controller through the TV.

But I freely admit that I suck at games and don't like hard games. :D

I caved. $30 is less than a sushi dinner for me so what the hell. Anyway, I'm finding the controls hard to get used to. The first dude in the shack got a piece of me because I tried to knife his punk ass after popping him in the knee. He was all like "un forastero!" and I'm all like "put that axe down bitch before I use it to cut off your zombie balls" and the fucking guy tried to bite me. What a dick.

[quote name='javeryh']I caved. $30 is less than a sushi dinner for me so what the hell. Anyway, I'm finding the controls hard to get used to. The first dude in the shack got a piece of me because I tried to knife his punk ass after popping him in the knee. He was all like "un forastero!" and I'm all like "put that axe down bitch before I use it to cut off your zombie balls" and the fucking guy tried to bite me. What a dick.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='javeryh']I caved. $30 is less than a sushi dinner for me so what the hell. Anyway, I'm finding the controls hard to get used to. The first dude in the shack got a piece of me because I tried to knife his punk ass after popping him in the knee. He was all like "un forastero!" and I'm all like "put that axe down bitch before I use it to cut off your zombie balls" and the fucking guy tried to bite me. What a dick.[/quote]

:rofl:

:lol:

Shoot em in the knee, then walk towards them till a big green 'A' button appears on your screen (that was for the GC version, I dunno what the Wii command would be) when you see that, hit the button and you will roundhouse kick their head right off their shoulders. No muss, no fuss, no fumbling around with the Rambo knife.

[quote name='javeryh']I caved. $30 is less than a sushi dinner for me so what the hell. Anyway, I'm finding the controls hard to get used to. The first dude in the shack got a piece of me because I tried to knife his punk ass after popping him in the knee. He was all like "un forastero!" and I'm all like "put that axe down bitch before I use it to cut off your zombie balls" and the fucking guy tried to bite me. What a dick.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I just use the buttons to knife enemies... I don't bother doing the swinging motion.

Thank you Gokou!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc[/media]
Eh, what the hell....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMvAzYH1xHM[/media]

And what could have been...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGRZwypXMFg[/MEDIA]

That last clip (the original RE4) looks pretty awesome. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says,

"This version was reportedly so scary that Shinji Mikami himself warned the gamers with a famous quote "Don't pee your pants" prior showing the initial trailer at E3. Gameplay footage of this version was featured in the Biohazard 4 Secret DVD released in Japan only. This version was scrapped for being far too paranormal for the Resident Evil plot."

I saw the 3rd one before and for some reason I thought it was this one. I wonder how many people actually play like this.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nCTKIqfmiWo[/media]

[quote name='Staind204']That last clip (the original RE4) looks pretty awesome. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says,

"This version was reportedly so scary that Shinji Mikami himself warned the gamers with a famous quote "Don't pee your pants" prior showing the initial trailer at E3. Gameplay footage of this version was featured in the Biohazard 4 Secret DVD released in Japan only. This version was scrapped for being far too paranormal for the Resident Evil plot."[/QUOTE]

I don't even know if the GC could handle a game that looked like that. Anyway, those killer dolls freaked me out.

bread's done
Back