Resident Evil 5 CE (PS3) $44.99 at Newegg

[quote name='Wolfpup']Where is anyone bashing anything?

That's awesome! Hmm...only catch is you need the patch, and probably can't back this up separately. So I still need to decide on whether I get this, or wait for a Greatest Hits version that's hopefully pre-patched.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if the game is patched or not, the data file can be read by any version. All that is removed is the lock restriction.

Finally gave in and bought me a copy... This wouldve been a day one purchase for me otherwise but have a massive backlog. Worth it for the steelbook... The rest of the crap will stay boxed up probably

Not bashing here... I own a PS3 as well... but since someone asked me why I only buy multiplatform games for 360... here is my answer:

1.) No mandatory install... and even if I choose to install it takes alot less time to install on the 360 than on the PS3...

2.) The 360 can display all games in 1080i/p regardless of whether the game supports it or not... if a game doesn't support 1080i/p on the PS3 it will automatically display at 480p(!!!) on my 57" TV... major turnoff!

3.) I have tons more friends on Xbox Live than on PSN... for multiplayer games... nuff said.

4.) Most games just plain RUN better on 360 than on PS3...

Therefore, I only buy console exclusive games for the PS3... and if they don't support 1080i/p than I'd only buy them cheap/used...

[quote name='UjnHunter']Not bashing here... I own a PS3 as well... but since someone asked me why I only buy multiplatform games for 360... here is my answer:

2.) The 360 can display all games in 1080i/p regardless of whether the game supports it or not... if a game doesn't support 1080i/p on the PS3 it will automatically display at 480p(!!!) on my 57" TV... major turnoff!

[/QUOTE]

i have my ps3 set on 1080P and tv set to 1080p, if the game doesnt support 1080p, it runs at 720p.

must be a prob or setting on ur tv.

anyways whats the deal with this save thing regarding the game? i havent played this game yet.

[quote name='technole']Doesn't matter if the game is patched or not, the data file can be read by any version. All that is removed is the lock restriction.[/QUOTE]

Iiiiinteresting. Thanks! Hmm...that would still mean theoretically if I couldn't get it patched anymore I could at least still use my save files, but not the new ones I created...well, that's not so bad I guess.

Any idea if they fixed Street Fighter 4 too? I avoided that because:

-Xbox one I'd need a new pad for sure, and would have to pay to play it online
-Playstation one has locked saves
-and, well honestly part of it is it's supposed to be way more technical than the earlier games, so I don't know that I'd like it

[quote name='Furashu']i have my ps3 set on 1080P and tv set to 1080p, if the game doesnt support 1080p, it runs at 720p.

must be a prob or setting on ur tv.

anyways whats the deal with this save thing regarding the game? i havent played this game yet.[/QUOTE]

My TV does not support 720i/p signal, only 1080i/p 480i/p... PS3 does not upscale like the Xbox 360 does... so yes while it is my TV that will not display 720... it is the PS3 which can not output anything worthwhile. Therefore I'm force to either play in 480p or buy the Xbox 360 version which will run in 1080i/p even if not officially supported...

[quote name='UjnHunter']1.) No mandatory install... and even if I choose to install it takes alot less time to install on the 360 than on the PS3...[/quote]

Many PS3 games don't install, and I install ALL Xbox games, since it's so loud otherwise. Moot point for me either way.

Guess this was addressed below, but it sounds like you don't have an HDTV, just an older monitor that doesn't support all the resolutions an HDTV does. In that case, yeah, makes sense to get the Xbox version. That's the one really good thing the Xbox does. I mean strictly speaking they shouldn't have to support that, but there are apparently a lot of older TVs sold as "HD ready" or "HD monitor" that aren't actually HDTVs and so don't support all the resolutions.

Now this one's not true. There's a ton of games that run better on Playstation than Xbox. It seems practically random at this point. Most are so similar a lot of reviews don't even mention it anymore, but there are definitely a lot that look/run better on PS3 (and vice versa, particularly at first).

[quote name='Furashu']anyways whats the deal with this save thing regarding the game? i havent played this game yet.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox version has a corruption bug that can ruin the save file. The Playstation version doesn't have that, but used to lock the save file to your system. I just found out in this thread from another poster that Capcom patched that out because of complaints, so with the patch you CAN copy your save file to another system now.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Now this one's not true. There's a ton of games that run better on Playstation than Xbox. It seems practically random at this point. Most are so similar a lot of reviews don't even mention it anymore, but there are definitely a lot that look/run better on PS3 (and vice versa, particularly at first).[/QUOTE]

Could you name some? I'm genuinely curious. The only game that I've heard of that runs better on the PS3 is Tomb Raider Underworld.

[quote name='UjnHunter']Not bashing here... I own a PS3 as well... but since someone asked me why I only buy multiplatform games for 360... here is my answer:

1.) No mandatory install... and even if I choose to install it takes alot less time to install on the 360 than on the PS3...

3.) I have tons more friends on Xbox Live than on PSN... for multiplayer games... nuff said.

Therefore, I only buy console exclusive games for the PS3... and if they don't support 1080i/p than I'd only buy them cheap/used...[/QUOTE]

I on the other hand prefer buying ps3 version of games if they're multi-platform or if 360 version is a lot cheaper. For the one reason that many probably already encountered, RROD. Mine just RROD about 2 weeks ago, I'm still waiting to get it back.

[quote name='GuardianE']Could you name some? I'm genuinely curious. The only game that I've heard of that runs better on the PS3 is Tomb Raider Underworld.[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard of that one (guess I'm lucky I got the PS3 version then! Got it totally arbitrarily because it was the one on sale at Amazon around launch)...but off the top of my head some include Oblivion, Mercs 2, Bioshock, GTA 4 (going by reviews, though insane fanbois claim otherwise), Burnout Paradise, and Dark Sector. Most though it's supposed to be so close they don't even bother listing it in reviews.

One weird recent case where the Xbox one is better is apparently Ghostbusters-the Playstation one actually uses less textures than the Xbox version, from the thread about that here (apparently from a developer on the game)! I think it's Terminal Reality's first current gen game though?

(EDIT: Also weird, even though Oblivion runs much better on Playstation, weirdly Fallout 3 is supposed to run better on Xbox! THAT'S one I really wasn't expecting, since it's the same developer I would have expected the reverse...but I bought the PC one since FINALLY we got a big title without activation).

[quote name='nhatkthanh']I on the other hand prefer buying ps3 version of games if they're multi-platform or if 360 version is a lot cheaper. For the one reason that many probably already encountered, RROD. Mine just RROD about 2 weeks ago, I'm still waiting to get it back.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned earlier about my current one...this whole situation, I just don't know what to make of it. Part of me does wonder if I'm making a mistake, but right now I'm just kind of going on "well, either Microsoft's fixed it with jasper, or they will before the system's life is over, so sooner or later I'll have one that lasts".

damn! i knew this day would come and i really wanted the collector's edition around this price area! but too bad i already rented this game and dont see a point in buying it now (ending kinda sucks ass!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Haven't heard of that one (guess I'm lucky I got the PS3 version then! Got it totally arbitrarily because it was the one on sale at Amazon around launch)...but off the top of my head some include Oblivion, Mercs 2, Bioshock, GTA 4 (going by reviews, though insane fanbois claim otherwise), Burnout Paradise, and Dark Sector. Most though it's supposed to be so close they don't even bother listing it in reviews.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion and Bioshock were year old ports with improvements and added stuff, so that's understandable.

Mercs 2, Burnout Paradise, and Dark Sector are very possible because those are games that I've never considered purchasing.

GTAIV is interesting, and the only one in the list that peaks my interest, but like you noted I've heard the arguments go both ways.

It just seems like every game I'm interested in gets a neutered PS3 version where something's missing or the textures aren't as good. The two big Capcom titles this year are indicative of this: Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5. It frustrates me as a multiplatform gamer.

[quote name='GuardianE']It just seems like every game I'm interested in gets a neutered PS3 version where something's missing or the textures aren't as good. The two big Capcom titles this year are indicative of this: Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5. It frustrates me as a multiplatform gamer.[/QUOTE] PS3 ports aren't nearly as bad as they were a couple of years ago. I would say that SF4 is just slightly inferior on the PS3 due to the game jumping to a lower rez for close-ups. However, the one thing that the PS3 version of RE5 has going for it is that it's v-locked, where as the 360 version isn't but has better AA. Programmers are finally able to wrap their heads around the PS3's complicated hardware.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
[quote name='UjnHunter']2.) The 360 can display all games in 1080i/p regardless of whether the game supports it or not... if a game doesn't support 1080i/p on the PS3 it will automatically display at 480p(!!!) on my 57" TV... major turnoff!
[/QUOTE]

Guess this was addressed below, but it sounds like you don't have an HDTV, just an older monitor that doesn't support all the resolutions an HDTV does. In that case, yeah, makes sense to get the Xbox version. That's the one really good thing the Xbox does. I mean strictly speaking they shouldn't have to support that, but there are apparently a lot of older TVs sold as "HD ready" or "HD monitor" that aren't actually HDTVs and so don't support all the resolutions.[/QUOTE]

I own a 57" CRT Projection HDTV, just because a TV doesn't support 720 mode doesn't mean it's not an HDTV, the same way you couldn't say a Plasma or LCD that ONLY supports 720 modes isn't an HDTV even though they cannot display the proper 1080 HD mode. NO CRT TV displays 720i/p... NONE. It may accept the input, but it will convert to 1080 either way... 1080 is a higher definition than 720... PS3 is incapable of outputing 1080 if the game doesn't support it... unlike the 360 which has it's own scaler. The PS3 DOWNSCALES games to 480p EDTV resolution. Unacceptable. Like I said... these are the reasons why *I* don't buy multiplatform games for the PS3... if you can display 720i/p games, and you don't want a superior 1080 display... so be it...

[quote name='UjnHunter']I own a 57" CRT Projection HDTV, just because a TV doesn't support 720 mode doesn't mean it's not an HDTV, the same way you couldn't say a Plasma or LCD that ONLY supports 720 modes isn't an HDTV even though they cannot display the proper 1080 HD mode. NO CRT TV displays 720i/p... NONE. It may accept the input, but it will convert to 1080 either way... 1080 is a higher definition than 720... PS3 is incapable of outputing 1080 if the game doesn't support it... unlike the 360 which has it's own scaler. The PS3 DOWNSCALES games to 480p EDTV resolution. Unacceptable. Like I said... these are the reasons why *I* don't buy multiplatform games for the PS3... if you can display 720i/p games, and you don't want a superior 1080 display... so be it...[/QUOTE]

First of all, I have no idea why this thread turned into a PS3/360 discussion. Either buy the game or not, simple.

To that guy I just quoted, it sounds like your TV is old as fuck and lacks an upscaler; don't try and knock the PS3 just because it doesn't cater to your old ass television. You sound like you have a TV that only does 1080i (not P; I highly doubt your tv can do 1080p but not 720p) or 480p, and it's arguable if 1080i is even any better than 720p, so I wouldn't run around saying "it's higher definition!" when your TV can't even support the higher definition.

And beside all that, why did you even have to come in here and muck up the thread with this shit. "If you don't want superior display, so be it..." Seriously? gtfo

[quote name='lolwut?']First of all, I have no idea why this thread turned into a PS3/360 discussion. Either buy the game or not, simple.

To that guy I just quoted, it sounds like your TV is old as fuck and lacks an upscaler; don't try and knock the PS3 just because it doesn't cater to your old ass television. You sound like you have a TV that only does 1080i (not P; I highly doubt your tv can do 1080p but not 720p) or 480p, and it's arguable if 1080i is even any better than 720p, so I wouldn't run around saying "it's higher definition!" when your TV can't even support the higher definition.

And beside all that, why did you even have to come in here and muck up the thread with this shit. "If you don't want superior display, so be it..." Seriously? gtfo[/QUOTE]

Somehow every thread turns into a PS3v360 discussion, if you can call it that.

Boy guys, I sure am excited to play some Resident Evil 5!
Aren't you guys excited?
About the Resident Evil?

[quote name='sendme']I bought an oem bd/hd combo drive from them and in a week it and the retail version went down in price. What I paid for the oem was what they wanted for the retail. It was 30-50 bucks that the took off the price. I sent them an e-mail telling them that it was with in days and I had not even received the item yet. By the time they got back with me the drive had come but they did give me the money back. It is no longer policy to do that but if you get a good customer service rep you might be able to get that money back.[/QUOTE]

Following the others advice I contacted Newegg and asked them if a credit of the difference was possible and got back a reply that seemed like a no. The first few paragraphs(yes it was more than 3 paragraphs) was about their policies and inventory fluctuating but the very last one said that they will make an exception for me since I am a valued customer,BUT I don't get my $10 back. Instead I get a credit of $10 on my next order as long as I let them know next time I order..which seems fair, they just can't start competing against themselves to make everyone happy but now I have to find a deal on Newegg that doesn't have me losing money on a credit.

[quote name='Nameless One']Can't wait for the regular version to be 30![/QUOTE]
Amen on that one. I don't care about the crap that comes with the CE, (except for the metal case...which I can get on ebay?) I just want to play a really good action game. After watching my roomate play the entire game last year, I got hooked and joined in co-op!

You can snag some Ebay deals for regular PS3 RE5, I was looking into it, and saw a few at about $34, brand new sealed and shipped...if you have an Ebay account and all. It's not $30 shipped, but maybe if you hunt enough, you'll find that...

Newegg did the same thing for me with the credit thing, I had to let them know after I ordered again, and they applied $10. It was on some RAM I believe a few months ago that dropped.

[quote name='UjnHunter']My TV does not support 720i/p signal, only 1080i/p 480i/p... PS3 does not upscale like the Xbox 360 does... so yes while it is my TV that will not display 720... it is the PS3 which can not output anything worthwhile. Therefore I'm force to either play in 480p or buy the Xbox 360 version which will run in 1080i/p even if not officially supported...[/QUOTE]

I still must imagine this is going to be fixed at some point. Games that support 1080i on the PS3 have no issue (coding it to display/scale in the game software itself) and DVD's/PS1/PS2 games had upscaling added quite awhile back in a firmware update. I'd have to imagine they are working on it for the PS3 games, as for now it seems like it's in the hands of developers.

Also scaling doesn't make the game "run" in that resolution, it just fits the image to the picture. Which is why the listings of 1080p on the back of a lot of games, and pretty much almost ALL (outside of 6) 360 games is just marketing BS, because it's scaled to 1080p not native. Though I do believe for games to be listed as 1080p on Sony's PS3 boxes, it has to be native, unlike Microsoft having games listed at 1080p when they are not. Hell games listed at 720p aren't even necessarily 720p either.

Edit: I also have to add, that your TV is inferior. It is a fact. It's not just inferior, but in today's world, it is obsolete when considering HD programming. It's technology, when it hits market it's practically obsolete so why are you arguing this? The only reason you would even be able to display HD programming is due to the fact set-top boxes have scalers built into them, due to the fact cable/satellite can't neglect potential customers due to the fact there sole business is built on providing broadcasts to people's televisions.

Lastly, who the hell is nitpicking RE5 and SFIV for the PS3? All the games are identical. Can you notice the switch when playing the PS3 version of SFIV, no. Even side by side it's hard, and then you would only notice looking for it and not be playing the game.

RE5 are you kidding me?

All multi-plat games are basically identical now, the only one's that have any subtle slight upper hand are games being built on the PS3 then ported to the 360, like Burnout: Paradise. If anything going forward all games will be identical to the naked eye or possibly be slightly better on the PS3 due to either development first being on that system or the fact that devs are now used to the machine and continue to unlock more and more out of it. And don't pull GT video bullshit out, that site is full of garbage, the only good thing on it is ScrewAttack, their comparison videos are screwed up not to mention they've been caught numerous times bashing one thing over the other while actually praising footage of the game for the thing they are bashing (anyone remember the infamous GRID incident, lauding the 360 and showing an "inferior" PS3 version, when in fact the "better looking game" they showed that was supposedly the 360, was in fact PS3 footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what happened with you guys, but I did a live chat with a Newegg rep and requested a $10 refund. They gave it to me, mostly because I said I would request RMA if they don't, and that the shape the box came in was less than satisfactory.

[quote name='GuardianE']Oblivion and Bioshock were year old ports with improvements and added stuff, so that's understandable.[/QUOTE]

Not really, since they didn't have any extra development time, it wasn't concurrent development. (Though it is weird if Fallout 3 ended up worse!)

[quote name='SuppaMan']Edit: I also have to add, that your TV is inferior. It is a fact. [/quote]

And it's not an HDTV. I've gotten into this before, and some people can't accept that "HDTV" has a specific meaning. I'll bet nowhere on that TV's packaging does it say "HDTV". You've got to be able to support 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i to be an HDTV.

Regarding the game, I probably would have gotten it, but was super busy last night :whistle2:/

But that's okay, hopefully the greatest hits version will be pre-patched and I'll just get that. Hopefully this'll teach Capcom a lesson...

Sorry, I asked this before, but you guys seem to know about RE5, so anyone know if the save file problem on Street Fighter 4 was patched too?

Wow... Ordered yesterday... Came in today... Box was dented on one side, looks like there was too much paper in the box for cushioning... Everything inside was intact... Damn that's a crappy figurine... Oh well, it will all stay boxed up except the game anyway...

[quote name='zman73']Wow... Ordered yesterday... Came in today... Box was dented on one side, looks like there was too much paper in the box for cushioning... Everything inside was intact... Damn that's a crappy figurine... Oh well, it will all stay boxed up except the game anyway...[/QUOTE]

Mine came today as well, totally nuts. But my box was in perfect condition.

Does anyone else have any trouble removing BDs from steelbook cases? The only two I own are this and Devil May cry 4, and it always feels like the disc will snap in half before I get it out.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not really, since they didn't have any extra development time, it wasn't concurrent development. (Though it is weird if Fallout 3 ended up worse!)

And it's not an HDTV. I've gotten into this before, and some people can't accept that "HDTV" has a specific meaning. I'll bet nowhere on that TV's packaging does it say "HDTV". You've got to be able to support 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i to be an HDTV.

Regarding the game, I probably would have gotten it, but was super busy last night :whistle2:/

But that's okay, hopefully the greatest hits version will be pre-patched and I'll just get that. Hopefully this'll teach Capcom a lesson...[/QUOTE]

Why are you waiting for the game disc to already have the patch on it? No online??

No, it's just that way I don't have to worry about playing it years from now if the patch is gone or whatever. If I end up liking it, I'll want to save it, 'cause I've got Resident Evil 1 (Director's Cut) through 4 all sitting on my shelf.

i got my copy today already woo
box is mint.

all this collectors crap is not worth it at all.
the chris redfield figure is fucken the size of a pack of gum.
the steelbook is cool though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No, it's just that way I don't have to worry about playing it years from now if the patch is gone or whatever. If I end up liking it, I'll want to save it, 'cause I've got Resident Evil 1 (Director's Cut) through 4 all sitting on my shelf.[/QUOTE]

I'm still confused, if you are talking about getting the PS3 version, the only thing that was an issue was the fact saves were locked. The patch corrected this. The save bug corruption issue is only on the 360 as far as I know.

And why would the patch be gone? I'm still just really confused with what you are saying as an explanation for waiting. If anything the discs shipped will never change. The only way disc info will ever change here on out is when game's have a serious issue (GH3 on the Wii only having mono, LPB with the idiotic complaints from overzealous religious people...which was actually patched out of the discs that made it to market with the issue, etc).

They'll probably include the patch when the greatest hits one ships, if not sooner. At least I assume they still do that.

It's a remote possibility sure, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I might as well just wait for a fixed one, since it's something that if I enjoy it as much as Dino Crisis 2 or the first four Resident Evil games I'll want to hold on to forever.

Man chris renfield got his arm broken off in the shipment lame! :(

Not sure what to tell the stupid ppl at newegg... they told me to call the manufacturer :p grrrrr

I wasn't aware there was a restriction on the use of the term HDTV? What's your source for this? I'm under the impression it's a generic term for a variety of standards. I see know reason why a TV capable of only one HDTV signal isn't an HDTV. But maybe you can point me in the right direction of the appropriate licensing and standards body.

The only restriction I know of in the US is that anything sold as a TV must have a digital tuner....thats why some are sold as HD capable monitors without a tuner to save cash on assembly.

It's no different than calling a monitor a TV in the old days. To be an HDTV in the U.S., you've got to have an ATSC tuner, and be capable of displaying all the appropriate resolutions at an HD resolution.

If someone sold something as an "HDTV" that couldn't do that, they'd be opening themselves up to legal trouble. I doubt you'll see the term "HDTV" used anywhere on the packaging for your TV. If it says anything, it's probably "HD Monitor", or "HD Ready", as those were commonly used terms. (Though maybe if you go back far enough before this stuff was regulated companies were calling them that when they weren't, I don't know for sure.)

Paid $22.50 at my local Best Buy for the game 2 weeks ago. They had it on the 75% off rack and no, it wasn't a mistake. I purchased PS3 Resident Evil 5 CE ($89.99), PS3 Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway CE ($29.99) and Xbox 360 Tales of Vesperia ($29.99) all at 75% off that day. Total was $40.48 after tax. Went in this Wednesday (6/24) and on the 75% off rack was the Xbox 360 Viva Pinata Party Animals/Wireless Controller bundle ($44.99) which I proudly paid $12.14 for after tax. I don't care about Viva Pinata Party Animals, but a new official wireless controller for $12 is pretty sweet. It's going to cost me more to get the recharge kit. Those shelves are pretty picked over but i do get lucky once in a while. The only other thing on the rack right now that woul be worth it to me would be PS3 Singstar 2 with mics. As always YMMV.

Dang, that's crazy! Now that's a no brainer if I ever heard one :)

99% of the time my Target and Best Buy never have anything. Only deals I've gotten recently were Haze and Quantum of Solace, though even there they act a bit weird about the coupons.

Got mine in pristine condition, mailed in a foam peanut insulated box. I really liked that that the bonus disc was in 1080p blu-ray high def. great deal.

[quote name='Wolfpup']They'll probably include the patch when the greatest hits one ships, if not sooner. At least I assume they still do that.

It's a remote possibility sure, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I might as well just wait for a fixed one, since it's something that if I enjoy it as much as Dino Crisis 2 or the first four Resident Evil games I'll want to hold on to forever.[/QUOTE]
Greatest Hits?!?! I see that being a WAYS off. Ratchet and Clank finally made it to greatest hits. When do you expect you "fixed" greatest hits version to hit shelves. As much of a fan of the series you are I'd just pick it up. They wont take away a patch that fixes something ya know.

bread's done
Back