Resident Evil 6 - Out Now!

[quote name='masterchief2291']i was on the xbox live game marketplace the other day and decided to dl the trailer for RE6. in the description for the game, it says it takes place in 2013, ten years after raccoon city. now obviously one part of that is false but im inclined to think the ten years is wrong. it doesnt make much sense for them to go and stick 6 in between 4 and 5.[/QUOTE]

Capcom has done it before. Street Fighter IV takes place after Street Fighter II and before Street Fighter III if I remember right.

I finally played RE5 last week. Finished the game Saturday night. I don't know why I waited so long to play it. The game was pretty good.

I'm now ready for RE6. :)

i played like 5 chapters of 5 but just didnt care to much for it for some reason.

i think the main issue had with the game is it just felt like more of an arcade game than a survial horror game. i do really like co-op but for some reason that just doesnt mesh to well because i guess its just one other person and a lot of the scary stuff goes away once ya play with someone else hehe. i also dont like the way they do match making and ya having to restart levels and junk.

4-6 player co-op does sound pretty fun tho. i think they'll probably have the multiplayer muchbetter htis time around but i hope they keep more of the re 4 feel to it. :)

The Great: A demo exists!
The Good: Early access is available when it drops July 3rd of this year!
The Bad: As of now the only way to get in is via code when you pre-order Dragon's Dogma... ugh.

Hopefully that isn't the only way to download otherwise I'll wait along with the general public until our turn comes up. I'm not the least bit interested in that game. Less so if it releases without a demo.

I think July 3rd is the public date, isn't it? I think Dragon's Dogma comes out in May.

Although I do remember the July 3rd one being referred to as a "beta." That could have been wrong though.

Yeah it's all pretty frickin' confusing to me at the moment. There's an advertisement on the dashboard stating copies of DD have an early access code for the demo on that date. The kicker is the code supposedly grants access two months earlier than any other platform so I don't know what to think at this point. Especially when PS3 players have to wait until the 4th to get in as well.

Of course in typical Capcom fashion they haven't clarified a damn thing yet so I'm guessing we won't know the real deal until a week before it surfaces.

Some new info dropped today. Sadly not much to speak of that weren't already told besides confirmation of shooting while moving, evade rolling and (hopefully) a more fluid cover system. I can already tell J'avos are going to be a pain in the ass to deal with in public co-op.

For those of you who bought Dragon's Dogma early access to the demo is now live. I'm downloading mine right now. The code for the token is on the back of the DD manual and you need the game in order to download the demo. Hyyyyyyyyppppeeee!

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']For those of you who bought Dragon's Dogma early access to the demo is now live. I'm downloading mine right now. The code for the token is on the back of the DD manual and you need the game in order to download the demo. Hyyyyyyyyppppeeee![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder...I knew it was sometime in July but didn't know it was this early...cant wait to try this out.

Just finished up my initial run of Redfield's section:
Pros
- A much more polished albeit action based RE5 experience.
- Partner AI is somewhat improved though the demo difficulty is clearly on Easy.
- Partner AI doesn't seem to pick up items at all. Thank goodness.
- Drunk Chris is a f*cking BOSS. I repeat drunk Chris is a f*cking BAWSE. Moar plz.
- Death animations for enemies are f*cking sexy. Huge improvement.
- Breaking item boxes now can be done with any weapon equipped by pressing RT.

- Melee combos are freestyle now and no longer dependent on hit confirm for certain areas on enemies. You can spam it to your heart's content for a guaranteed combo.

- Health regenerates Ala ME3. Complete block loss requires pills/herbs to heal, but everything else regens automatically. Feels weird but normal for the pace the campaign seems dead set on maintaining. I'm cool with it for now.

- Item drops from enemies return and are greatly improved from RE5. Much more likely to grab something you need than not. Of course the usefulness of the drops seems dependent on the number of enemies you kill. Either way I was never in a bone dry ammo position.

Cons
- Aim sensitivity is rather high and there doesn't seem to be a way to tweak it.
- Red dot is WAY too light to the point it disappears at random. Irritating.
- Partner AI is equipped with a damn Sniper Rifle with a tendency to wander off. Ew.
- Hit detection is either off or enemies tend to eat a substantial amount of bullets.
-^Either that or the recoil for both firearms is pretty f*cking high.
- Speaking of the guns they feel and sound like toys in my opinion. A little floaty.
- Pausing the game does NOT actually pause the f*cking game. Ugh.
- The icons are way too small. Took me a while to realize I could pop pills and herb heal pressing RB.

- Melee is a little too spammable in my opinion. Not an auto win button but I sincerely miss the old combo system. Hopefully the other campaigns have brought it back.

- The menu style is beyond annoying. Same for items though tolerable in time. The streamlined approach is going to confuse the utter hell out of you at first.

- The fact health regenerates period though I pray this is either exclusive to easier difficulties, contained to this campaign, or properly balanced by an increase in overall difficulty.

- The cover system might as well not be there in my opinion. Fast but not very fluid. You have to hold Hard Aim then press 'A', but you can't lock in without holding LT. Awkward. Press forward with the analog stick to peek out and shoot. Any other action will result in leaving cover. Meh.

- The entire section felt dangerously close to being a little too action based in my opinion, but we'll see how the other two fair before I seriously weigh in on it.

I'm going to take a second crack at Jake's soon. Let's just say the camera angles at the very beginning are VERY RE/Capcom to the say the least. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Just finished up my initial run of Redfield's section:
Pros
- A much more polished albeit action based RE5 experience.
- Partner AI is somewhat improved though the demo difficulty is clearly on Easy.
- Partner AI doesn't seem to pick up items at all. Thank goodness.
- Drunk Chris is a f*cking BOSS. I repeat drunk Chris is a f*cking BAWSE. Moar plz.
- Death animations for enemies are f*cking sexy. Huge improvement.
- Breaking item boxes now can be done with any weapon equipped by pressing RT.

- Melee combos are freestyle now and no longer dependent on hit confirm for certain areas on enemies. You can spam it to your heart's content for a guaranteed combo.

- Health regenerates Ala ME3. Complete block loss requires pills/herbs to heal, but everything else regens automatically. Feels weird but normal for the pace the campaign seems dead set on maintaining. I'm cool with it for now.

- Item drops from enemies return and are greatly improved from RE5. Much more likely to grab something you need than not. Of course the usefulness of the drops seems dependent on the number of enemies you kill. Either way I was never in a bone dry ammo position.

Cons
- Aim sensitivity is rather high and there doesn't seem to be a way to tweak it.
- Red dot is WAY too light to the point it disappears at random. Irritating.
- Partner AI is equipped with a damn Sniper Rifle with a tendency to wander off. Ew.
- Hit detection is either off or enemies tend to eat a substantial amount of bullets.
-^Either that or the recoil for both firearms is pretty f*cking high.
- Speaking of the guns they feel and sound like toys in my opinion. A little floaty.
- Pausing the game does NOT actually pause the f*cking game. Ugh.
- The icons are way too small. Took me a while to realize I could pop pills and herb heal pressing RB.

- Melee is a little too spammable in my opinion. Not an auto win button but I sincerely miss the old combo system. Hopefully the other campaigns have brought it back.

- The menu style is beyond annoying. Same for items though tolerable in time. The streamlined approach is going to confuse the utter hell out of you at first.

- The fact health regenerates period though I pray this is either exclusive to easier difficulties, contained to this campaign, or properly balanced by an increase in overall difficulty.

- The cover system might as well not be there in my opinion. Fast but not very fluid. You have to hold Hard Aim then press 'A', but you can't lock in without holding LT. Awkward. Press forward with the analog stick to peek out and shoot. Any other action will result in leaving cover. Meh.

- The entire section felt dangerously close to being a little too action based in my opinion, but we'll see how the other two fair before I seriously weigh in on it.

I'm going to take a second crack at Jake's soon. Let's just say the camera angles at the very beginning are VERY RE/Capcom to the say the least. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Nice recap, man. Thanks for that. I might see if I can bum a copy of Dogma from work to try RE out for myself.

Edit: Got one. Playing this shit tonight.

Alright I finished up Jake and Leon's sections.

Jake:
Pros
- Seems crystal clear to me this is going to be the marquee campaign of RE6. If you loved RE5 you'll feel right at home here. The boss fight is pretty routine but fun. Also... DAT MAGNUM.

- Troy does an amazing job voicing Jake. Truly talented. He manages to strike a perfect balance between opportunistic jackass and nonchalant badass without overacting or phoning any of the dialogue in. I'm looking forward to his interaction with the rest of the cast.

- The slide mechanic is Bisquick buttery biscuit smooth. Simply hold the run button then hard aim to initiate a gorgeous slide. You can cancel it anytime you want but holding LT locks you in to aim + fire. The best part was dropping a block of C4, dodging a split second before the boss attempted a tackle, dodge rolling past then blowing his ass up into confetti.

The Albert Wesker swag is strong with this one.

- The menu system is much less of a strain on the eyes and easier to navigate than Redfield's campaign. The PDA sounds are a real nice touch. Reminds you that you're playing a video game and not a living work of "art" which I can appreciate.

- Sherry's AI doesn't seem to f*ck around. A couple minutes into the game she taser batoned the everloving shit out of a possum playing zombie off screen that I didn't even see. She also held her own in the boss fight. Neither much help nor hindrance, but I didn't have to babysit. Lack of that equates perfection to me.

- The boss had a claw arm. F*cking doooooppppe.

Cons
- The initial camera angle at the start of the level is going to be the source of some cheap deaths. Unexpected and annoying. Thankfully you can overcome it.

- Although being chased and fired upon by mercs is a welcomed change from the facepalming hero zombies of RE5, I still would prefer a healthy variety of monstrosities over bland humans with guns. Chris already has that covered.

- Sadly the health regen seems to be a permanent mechanic in ALL campaigns. Meh.

- The boss had a comb over. LOLWTFJAPAN?

- Way. Too. Short. I want more. So much more.

Leon:
Pros
- This is the closest OG RE fans going to get to sating their appetite for a more authentic survival horror experience. Much slower paced, a nod to the old games sprinkled here and there, scarce ammo, tolerable QTEs wrapped in a conveniently creepy atmosphere. Tons of potential.

- Helena's VA is phenomenal. Seems to suit the character's demeanor and background perfectly. It's going to be interesting to see just how connected she is to the outbreak and how Leon will react to it.

- I realized there's an in-game option to tweak the Hard Aim zoom. Initially I thought it was changing the fire type of the gun, but it didn't work for the hand gun in this campaign. I'll have to test it in the others. Anyway... pressing 'Y' while hard aiming while change the angle to something a bit more tolerable. Thank God.

Cons
- The initial beginning was painfully slow screaming "Look at me! I'm so linear!" every waking moment. I came dangerously close to losing interest because the walking speed was killing me.

- The lack of item boxes though welcome is a bit disconcerting. I ran out of ammo toward the end, but I suspect it was part of the scene.

- Since I never got a chance to play RE4 I'm nowhere near as attached to Leon like the rest of you. My initial impression of the guy is... well... an overrated boyscout.

All and all it's still a day one purchase for me. I'm pretty content with what I've seen thus far.

If you haven't played RE4, I couldn't recommend it enough. Played it on GC, PS2, Wii and bought it on 360 (haven't had the time for an older game lately) and loved every playthrough. Its a great game in every sense of the word. The 360 version looks a little harsh due to the upscaling but its still tolerable.

this game look good i wasted $60+ tax at best buy for the last one that just came out it didnt play very well nad i got less than half of that when i traded it in. the employee said i made a bad mistake but i dont care i had credit anyway so i will preorder this with my remaining money and if it s not good then i am not happy and i stil have to get to resident evil 5 on the ps2.

[quote name='advanced']If you haven't played RE4, I couldn't recommend it enough. Played it on GC, PS2, Wii and bought it on 360 (haven't had the time for an older game lately) and loved every playthrough. Its a great game in every sense of the word. The 360 version looks a little harsh due to the upscaling but its still tolerable.[/QUOTE]

I second this by a huge margin.

Now that we're several years removed from the previous generation, I think I can say that RE4 was my favorite game of ~2001-2006. It blew me away from beginning to end and it's one of the few lengthy (over 10 hours) games that I've played through multiple times.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']For those of you who bought Dragon's Dogma early access to the demo is now live. I'm downloading mine right now. The code for the token is on the back of the DD manual and you need the game in order to download the demo. Hyyyyyyyyppppeeee![/QUOTE]

After u download the demo, do you still need the DD disc?

[quote name='MSUHitman']After u download the demo, do you still need the DD disc?[/QUOTE]

No my friend, you can find RE6 in recent game section of the dashboard, take that bitch to Bestbuy for $30 credit after Unlocked/100% trade promotion.

[quote name='Poor2More']No my friend, you can find RE6 in recent game section of the dashboard, take that bitch to Bestbuy for $30 credit after Unlocked/100% trade promotion.[/QUOTE]

^What he said. DD is only required to download it. After that you can launch it from the dashboard like any other game. NeoGAF users also ripped and uploaded the demo files amongst themselves. Apparently the mods have no problem with it so people have been transferring them to USB sticks to play that way.

I have no clue if that method will get you banned however so research at your own risk.

I just started the Demo (Leon) and noticed right off the bat that the game sceneray is much more grim and scary, is their intention to go back to their survival Horror roots? If so fucken awesome

OMG teh screen tearing makes me want to rip my eyes out!! I tried the 720p trick, did not work like it does with Dragon Dogma. Hopefully this is same case like RE5 where demo had screen tearing but retail release did not. Btw is Leon K. wearing chapstick? cause his lips are very shiny. This game just jumped to my #1 most wanted game this year.

[quote name='Poor2More']I just started the Demo (Leon) and noticed right off the bat that the game sceneray is much more grim and scary, is their intention to go back to their survival Horror roots? If so fucken awesome[/QUOTE]

Well the game is supposed to be split into three different campaigns offering a little bit of variety for everyone.

Leon and Helena = Classic RE
Chris and Matt Damon's Cousin = RE5 On Steroids a.k.a. RE5: Boulder Punch Edition
Jake and Sherry = Classic RE5/RE4 & 5 Hybrid

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Well the game is supposed to be split into three different campaigns offering a little bit of variety for everyone.

Leon and Helena = Classic RE
Chris and Matt Damon's Cousin = RE5 On Steroids a.k.a. RE5: Boulder Punch Edition
Jake and Sherry = Classic RE5/RE4 & 5 Hybrid[/QUOTE]

Interesting, sounds fair enough. I enjoyed all of those formulas. Can Capcom actually be listening to their fans? or is this a trick to bend us over no lube with DLC?

Any word on approximtly length of each campaigns?

so re6= re for dummies basically. so re is pretty much laughable now. im sellin my re6 demo code. i got rid of dd, couldnt stand that crap

[quote name='Poor2More']Interesting, sounds fair enough. I enjoyed all of those formulas. Can Capcom actually be listening to their fans? or is this a trick to bend us over no lube with DLC?

Any word on approximtly length of each campaigns?[/QUOTE]

It's probably both knowing Capcom's affinity for nickle and dime campaigns.

As for length I haven't heard anything concrete yet. I'm guessing the entire game is probably a little longer than RE5, but not by much. I think there's footage of a boss fight with Chris or Leon pairing up with a member of one of the other two groups so the hours of gameplay each campaign offers can't be that long.

[quote name='Poor2More']Any Mercs multiplayer? or competive?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine both. Mercenaries is the only confirmed mode returning from RE5 for now. I think it's safe to say some variant of Slayers and Survivors will return as well given their competitive nature and Capcom's claims of 2 - 8 player multi. Either way I hope I can full achievement score this when it comes out. I gave up on RE5 since the Slayer and Survivor achievements would have taken forever. I was so damn close too. ;\

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I would imagine both. Mercenaries is the only confirmed mode returning from RE5 for now. I think it's safe to say some variant of Slayers and Survivors will return as well given their competitive nature and Capcom's claims of 2 - 8 player multi. Either way I hope I can full achievement score this when it comes out. I gave up on RE5 since the Slayer and Survivor achievements would have taken forever. I was so damn close too. ;\[/QUOTE]

I got RE5 Gold on PS3, thinking about lighting up the multiplatyer for Trophies, since I never tried any of the multi before.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']It's probably both knowing Capcom's affinity for nickle and dime campaigns.

As for length I haven't heard anything concrete yet. I'm guessing the entire game is probably a little longer than RE5, but not by much. I think there's footage of a boss fight with Chris or Leon pairing up with a member of one of the other two groups so the hours of gameplay each campaign offers can't be that long.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember where I read this, and keep it mind it was probably coming from Capcom so it may be bullshit, but I heard each of the three campaigns is roughly 80% as long as RE5 was.

I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed in a demo. I played through the Leon/Chris campaigns and it was fucking painful. The fact that they thought this demo was worth sharing with the public scares the crap out of me. fucking garbage through and through. Literally could not be more disappointed. The person I was playing with wanted to quit halfway through the Chris campaign because it was so fucking terrible.

[quote name='Trakan']I don't remember where I read this, and keep it mind it was probably coming from Capcom so it may be bullshit, but I heard each of the three campaigns is roughly 80% as long as RE5 was.[/QUOTE]

Oh how I would LOVE for this to be true. Thanks for the heads up. There's a rumor floating around from some demo hackers
that Ada Wong has her own playable campaign or is at the very least a playable character.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that as well.

For the amount of people shitting on this game, I was expecting much worse. It's definitely not one of the worst games I've ever played, but it needs some work. The camera and general movement is pretty wonky. I actually prefer the old tank controls. The recoil in this game is very odd also. Like the gun stays completely still but your reticule bounces up. The segments they chose for the demo were pretty poor in my opinion. Leon walking down hallways is not going to sell this game. It seems like they changed a lot of stuff that didn't necessarily need it. I find the menus much more clunky this time around than in RE4 or RE5. Also, why is everyone's HUD different? Bizarre design decisions. I guess I hate Leon's HUD the least, but it still looks bad in comparison to previous RE games.

That being said I still think the game will be fun to play through with a friend, but some stuff definitely needs tweaking and I doubt I'll pay $60 for it. I feel bad for the people who bought Dragon's Dogma for this.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']- Since I never got a chance to play RE4 I'm nowhere near as attached to Leon like the rest of you. [/QUOTE]

Uh, what? I just happened to beat RE4 for 360 the other day and it is still one of the best games I've ever played. Forget about RE6, and go buy 4.

[quote name='Trakan']For the amount of people shitting on this game, I was expecting much worse. It's definitely not one of the worst games I've ever played, but it needs some work. The camera and general movement is pretty wonky. I actually prefer the old tank controls. The recoil in this game is very odd also. Like the gun stays completely still but your reticule bounces up. The segments they chose for the demo were pretty poor in my opinion. Leon walking down hallways is not going to sell this game. It seems like they changed a lot of stuff that didn't necessarily need it. I find the menus much more clunky this time around than in RE4 or RE5. Also, why is everyone's HUD different? Bizarre design decisions. I guess I hate Leon's HUD the least, but it still looks bad in comparison to previous RE games.

That being said I still think the game will be fun to play through with a friend, but some stuff definitely needs tweaking and I doubt I'll pay $60 for it. I feel bad for the people who bought Dragon's Dogma for this.

Uh, what? I just happened to beat RE4 for 360 the other day and it is still one of the best games I've ever played. Forget about RE6, and go buy 4.[/QUOTE]

i bought DD for the demo lol and i cant even sell it now :( do u need to have Dragons Dogma in the disc tray to dl the demo? cause i dont have it anymore, i just have the re6 code

[quote name='snakemaster2389']i bought DD for the demo lol and i cant even sell it now :( do u need to have Dragons Dogma in the disc tray to dl the demo? cause i dont have it anymore, i just have the re6 code[/QUOTE]

Yes u need DD After you redeemed download token, because you have to install RE6 demo from dragon Dogma main menu, but after that you will no longer need DD.

So I downloaded this demo and expected to cum buckets, but I was somewhat disappointed. I played through part of Leon's campaign and while I liked the mood it was setting, I didn't really get to enjoy it as I
got attacked during the elevator and wasn't quite sure what to do with the stick prompt, I died,
and it kicked me all the way out to the menu. Kind of dumb, but I'll play through it again at some point.

Chris on the other hand, seemed really bad. Granted I had no idea what was going on in the story, but the combat seemed unfinished and frankly, was painful. Also didn't understand why after I switched the aiming speed to about 5, it was fine for Leon, but for Chris it seemed like it did nothing at all, and I had to bump it up to 8, as well as increase the camera speed.

Didn't try the third guy's campaign yet. I'm sure I'll have fun with a friend, but this is almost as bad as the first time I played Operation Racoon City, at least for Chris' part. FYI I loved 5, so I'd have no problems if it played just like that

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Since I never got a chance to play RE4...[/QUOTE]

lol.

This is the single worst demo I have ever played.

I'm assuming most people will start with Leon's, since he is the most popular and the first option. They couldn't have picked a more boring section of the game to highlight. I was bored to tears before I even got to my first zombie. And I guess the game is locked on "baby" mode. Zombies were a joke/push over. And oh my God! The SCREEN TEARING! THE SCREEN TEARING! This it the worst example I have ever seen of a AAA game with such a huge technical issue. The game itself is gorgeous, when you aren't touching the controller. The second you move, the game turns into an un-vertically synced mess of trash.

Then there's Chris's campaign...talk about sporadic and retarded. This section really highlight how bad the FOV is. The camera is way too zoomed in. Also, the aiming reticle moves way too quick. All of the characters and weapons lack any "weight". Everything feels floaty. The enemies were lame, and made me miss the Africans.

The one highlight of the demo I thought was Jake's boss fight. That was at least somewhat interesting. I do hate the way all the characters run with their arms at their sides. It's super Japanese.

This game went from one of my highest anticipated games of the year, to making me think we have a new Lost Planet 2 on our hands (y'know? Where Capcom goes and shits on a great franchise with a fucking super Japanese, shitastic sequel.

This went from a "must play" to a "I'll probably Gamefly." So disappointed.

[quote name='Trakan']Uh, what? I just happened to beat RE4 for 360 the other day and it is still one of the best games I've ever played. Forget about RE6, and go buy 4.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll get to it when I'm good and ready. The obnoxious amount of overhype surrounding it is starting to turn me off on the idea in general. People felt the same way about ME2 and I personally still hate the game to this day. I'm not exactly in a rush for a repeat performance with RE4.

I need to repurchase RE4 again. I sold my digital copy and only have my ps2 disc copy left but unfortunately my ps3 is not backwards compatible. Just want to do Ada's part.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Alright I finished up Jake and Leon's sections.

Jake:
Pros
- Seems crystal clear to me this is going to be the marquee campaign of RE6. If you loved RE5 you'll feel right at home here. The boss fight is pretty routine but fun. Also... DAT MAGNUM.

- Troy does an amazing job voicing Jake. Truly talented. He manages to strike a perfect balance between opportunistic jackass and nonchalant badass without overacting or phoning any of the dialogue in. I'm looking forward to his interaction with the rest of the cast.

- The slide mechanic is Bisquick buttery biscuit smooth. Simply hold the run button then hard aim to initiate a gorgeous slide. You can cancel it anytime you want but holding LT locks you in to aim + fire. The best part was dropping a block of C4, dodging a split second before the boss attempted a tackle, dodge rolling past then blowing his ass up into confetti.

The Albert Wesker swag is strong with this one.

- The menu system is much less of a strain on the eyes and easier to navigate than Redfield's campaign. The PDA sounds are a real nice touch. Reminds you that you're playing a video game and not a living work of "art" which I can appreciate.

- Sherry's AI doesn't seem to f*ck around. A couple minutes into the game she taser batoned the everloving shit out of a possum playing zombie off screen that I didn't even see. She also held her own in the boss fight. Neither much help nor hindrance, but I didn't have to babysit. Lack of that equates perfection to me.

- The boss had a claw arm. F*cking doooooppppe.

Cons
- The initial camera angle at the start of the level is going to be the source of some cheap deaths. Unexpected and annoying. Thankfully you can overcome it.

- Although being chased and fired upon by mercs is a welcomed change from the facepalming hero zombies of RE5, I still would prefer a healthy variety of monstrosities over bland humans with guns. Chris already has that covered.

- Sadly the health regen seems to be a permanent mechanic in ALL campaigns. Meh.

- The boss had a comb over. LOLWTFJAPAN?

- Way. Too. Short. I want more. So much more.

Leon:
Pros
- This is the closest OG RE fans going to get to sating their appetite for a more authentic survival horror experience. Much slower paced, a nod to the old games sprinkled here and there, scarce ammo, tolerable QTEs wrapped in a conveniently creepy atmosphere. Tons of potential.

- Helena's VA is phenomenal. Seems to suit the character's demeanor and background perfectly. It's going to be interesting to see just how connected she is to the outbreak and how Leon will react to it.

- I realized there's an in-game option to tweak the Hard Aim zoom. Initially I thought it was changing the fire type of the gun, but it didn't work for the hand gun in this campaign. I'll have to test it in the others. Anyway... pressing 'Y' while hard aiming while change the angle to something a bit more tolerable. Thank God.

Cons
- The initial beginning was painfully slow screaming "Look at me! I'm so linear!" every waking moment. I came dangerously close to losing interest because the walking speed was killing me.

- The lack of item boxes though welcome is a bit disconcerting. I ran out of ammo toward the end, but I suspect it was part of the scene.

- Since I never got a chance to play RE4 I'm nowhere near as attached to Leon like the rest of you. My initial impression of the guy is... well... an overrated boyscout.

All and all it's still a day one purchase for me. I'm pretty content with what I've seen thus far.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I was really looking forward to RE6. I loved RE5, but after seeing some bad opinions of the demo, I may just wait for the reviews to come in on the full game before I run out and buy it. :(

I wish the public demo coming out was the ones from Comic Con/Gamescom. Capcom changed the camera angle a bit since E3. I think it's 20-25% zoomed out.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I wish the public demo coming out was the ones from Comic Con/Gamescom. Capcom changed the camera angle a bit since E3. I think it's 20-25% zoomed out.[/QUOTE]

I heard it was definitely different from the Dragon's Dogma one. Or did they change it a third time?

I finally got around to playing through the Public Demo (never tried the Dragon's Dogma version) and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I played through all 3 sections with a buddy and the whole time I wished it controlled more like RE5/RE4. I understand that they are trying to evolve the gameplay, listening to fan feedback by making the heroes more mobile/agile, but it just doesn't feel as polished as it could have been.

From the 3 sections, I gathered that you can now dive/evade (shoot from a laid back position/move forward or back in said position), roll, duck, and choose to go into cover if possible. Your character seems to always move in auto-run mode depending on how much pressure you put on the thumb sticks. Although, there seems to be a full sprint option in wide open areas allowing you to do a flying dragon kick with Leon on unsuspecting enemies. I'm sure all heroes have something similar to that though. All of this sounds awesome in theory, however, the way it is implemented in the demo seems a bit forced and out of place.

The camera and character movement definitely feels very wonky. It took a while (mainly because of the terrible HUD design) for my buddy and I to get accustomed to it after fiddling around with the sensitivity settings for each, but even then it just didn't feel right. Aiming was a bit awkward since your weapon stayed still, but your reticule kept moving. However, switching to the classic laser sight from the reticule seemed to alleviate the issue; or at least that's what I think. I do like how you can switch shoulder views on the fly now; something which should be standard in all 3rd person shooters.

Combat felt a bit hit or miss at times. Hopefully this demo was set to Easy or Normal because you could just simply run up and roundhouse the shit out of any enemy as Leon or go guns blazing with Chris with the excessive amount of ammo given to you. I was hoping to use the combat strategy found in RE4/RE5 where stunning an enemy with a shot to the kneecap/shoulder/head would allow for a close quarters melee either from the front or the rear and your partner could follow up with their own. I always thought that was a fun and effective way to conserve ammo/resources, but it doesn't seem to be the case in this demo. Most times it was just random from mashing the melee button. I'm hoping the money found in this game is used to purchase upgrades, not just to restock your equipment. I didn't see any type of modifications on any weapon in your inventory, so I am unsure where the developers are going with that.

I have never actually played Operation: Raccoon City (only seen countless review videos), but it seems to me that RE6 is leaning towards that style of play. I'm crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't turn out that way in the end. I'm still hoping that they polish some of the controller settings/combat in the final product, but I think it's just wishful thinking at this point. I'll probably still go out and pre-order it for now, and wait for the reviews before actually purchasing it though.

One final note, please don't play this game by yourself. I think that's the main reason why most people didn't like RE5 in the first place. I loved RE5 and having a co-op partner over an AI companion makes a huge difference in terms of fun and combat. I guess that's just my opinion though.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I finally got around to playing through the Public Demo (never tried the Dragon's Dogma version) and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I played through all 3 sections with a buddy and the whole time I wished it controlled more like RE5/RE4. I understand that they are trying to evolve the gameplay, listening to fan feedback by making the heroes more mobile/agile, but it just doesn't feel as polished as it could have been.

From the 3 sections, I gathered that you can now dive/evade (shoot from a laid back position/move forward or back in said position), roll, duck, and choose to go into cover if possible. Your character seems to always move in auto-run mode depending on how much pressure you put on the thumb sticks. Although, there seems to be a full sprint option in wide open areas allowing you to do a flying dragon kick with Leon on unsuspecting enemies. I'm sure all heroes have something similar to that though. All of this sounds awesome in theory, however, the way it is implemented in the demo seems a bit forced and out of place.

The camera and character movement definitely feels very wonky. It took a while (mainly because of the terrible HUD design) for my buddy and I to get accustomed to it after fiddling around with the sensitivity settings for each, but even then it just didn't feel right. Aiming was a bit awkward since your weapon stayed still, but your reticule kept moving. However, switching to the classic laser sight from the reticule seemed to alleviate the issue; or at least that's what I think. I do like how you can switch shoulder views on the fly now; something which should be standard in all 3rd person shooters.

Combat felt a bit hit or miss at times. Hopefully this demo was set to Easy or Normal because you could just simply run up and roundhouse the shit out of any enemy as Leon or go guns blazing with Chris with the excessive amount of ammo given to you. I was hoping to use the combat strategy found in RE4/RE5 where stunning an enemy with a shot to the kneecap/shoulder/head would allow for a close quarters melee either from the front or the rear and your partner could follow up with their own. I always thought that was a fun and effective way to conserve ammo/resources, but it doesn't seem to be the case in this demo. Most times it was just random from mashing the melee button. I'm hoping the money found in this game is used to purchase upgrades, not just to restock your equipment. I didn't see any type of modifications on any weapon in your inventory, so I am unsure where the developers are going with that.

I have never actually played Operation: Raccoon City (only seen countless review videos), but it seems to me that RE6 is leaning towards that style of play. I'm crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't turn out that way in the end. I'm still hoping that they polish some of the controller settings/combat in the final product, but I think it's just wishful thinking at this point. I'll probably still go out and pre-order it for now, and wait for the reviews before actually purchasing it though.

One final note, please don't play this game by yourself. I think that's the main reason why most people didn't like RE5 in the first place. I loved RE5 and having a co-op partner over an AI companion makes a huge difference in terms of fun and combat. I guess that's just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself. I actually canceled my pre-order. I mean, I still want to play it, but it's just not a day one purchase to me.

As many complaints as I had about it, i'm still going to get it. It's not perfect by any means, but I had fun with it...which at the end of the day is what I care about.

Do you have to be in party chat to be able to talk to someone when doing co op? It's that or nobody i've played with had a mic hooked up.

Wouldn't be a resident evil thread without a bunch of thread crappers.

I can't think of any franchise that gets scrutinized this much.. not even Halo or COD.

bread's done
Back