Resident Evil 6 (X360/PS3) $19.99 Best Buy sale is now live (Amazon too)

[quote name='whoknows']That article is old and wrong. No gold edition has been announced. I don't know what the other guy is talking about.[/QUOTE]

Well that's probably the article I read. I didn't know it was just a rumor. Anyway, its Capcom so I expect a rerelease regardless. Confirmed or not, its still not worth the $20 imo.

Went ahead and got it through Amazon. I can only judge it based on the 3 hours of Leon's campaign, but my initial dislike of the game gave way to an appreciation and enjoyment of it the more I played, enough to buy it, especially since it offers a fair amount of content.

And contrary to one of the previous posters, I think I have good taste. And I'm old enough to have played the first RE when it was brand new and shiny. (And I curse myself for selling the long box version I had). I like that Capcom is changing it up. They did a good job with the 3DS RE game, too.

and RE Michael Bay, so far that critique doesn't quite apply to RE6 -- it's big, but not that big. And although I think nowadays his movies are childish (obviously, kids 6-17 seem to be the demographic), let's not forget he made The Rock and, to a lesser extent, Armageddon. When those movies came out, there was a new and exciting aesthetic to them.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']In my opinion, the only game ANYONE should be playing is Rocksmith, since it teaches an actual skill. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time playing games. Go get a fucking job. Thanks and have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='CaoPi']good luck on not getting a chipped disc[/QUOTE]

I'll be fine, I've bought over 100 games from Gamefly over the years, only 2 did not work.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']In my opinion, the only game ANYONE should be playing is Rocksmith, since it teaches an actual skill. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time playing games. Go get a fucking job. Thanks and have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Both your argument and the one you replied to is ignorant. If you are telling us to get a job is the only way to prove adulthood because games are for kids, why play Rocksmith? So it teaches a skill, ever heard of Kinect or Leapfrog for kids? You people try too hard to down people for hobbies they love.

And for RE6, no its not the same thing. Take Resident Evil from the title and you would have a solid game with flaws. I enjoyed the story, thought it was pretty sad at points with the things that happened, but overall I had fun beating the campaigns.

What I don't enjoy is assholes bashing the game for the title and the company. That's just stupid

[quote name='etcrane']Game is awful ... not worth $20, probably not worth $10. The story is awful, even RE 5 had a better story. You can tell the creator of RE wasn't involved with this game at all. The only good thing about RE6 is that it's going to force Capcom to reboot the series because it sold so poorly and was panned by 90% of the critics who played it. The game is garbage ... and it's an affront to true RE fans. If you want a good RE game, play Revelations on the DS or save the money you would spend on this for the console version coming out later this year.

To those who are going to tell me I'm wrong, I don't care ... You have poor taste and this game is crap. Thanks and have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Nice elitist snob attitude there, that immediately makes your opinion mean nothing to me, even if I agreed with it. When someone is so quick to treat the opinions and feelings of others like dirt, that just shows they have nothing to teach me.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Lol hillarious that the name was supposedly Final Hope. As if its their only hope to save the franchise lol[/QUOTE]

Hey, that approach seemed to work for Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive. ;)

Don't listen to these trolls, I enjoyed it especially if you loved mercenaries mode, you'll enjoy that mode in this one too! This one will take a while to platnium too as you need to collect the emblems and such.

To me it was like this Leon>Chris>Jake when it came to story mode. The story all ties in at the end of each chapter. Given that Ada's story was an extra was just lacking.

The music is really upbeat in Urban Chaos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

Last edited by a moderator:
How did I know that the four pages of posts were going to be of people bashing/defending this game?

This game is not anywhere near as bad as anyone makes it out to be. It may not upper-echelon, but I can't understand why anyone would pass it up at $20 if they're interested in this genre.

I can understand people not liking the game; that goes with differing tastes. But saying this game is horrible leads me to one of the following conclusions: 1) You're a troll, 2) You didn't play much of the game, or 3) You're an idiot. There are plenty of games that I don't like, can't stand even, but that doesn't make them poor in quality.

If you have a friend to play through this with, it probably could be a lot of fun. I played through it solo and found the AI partner to be inconsistent with how aggressive and defensive they'd be. Sometimes they'd move in and take on enemies without me even having to target them. Other times they'd seem to stand beside me while I'd be getting shot or beaten.

Your first play through the game may be rough, depending on the difficulty level, but you gain points from both the Campaign and Mercenaries mode to unlock abilities; from stronger weapons, to quicker reactions, better health or stronger melees, as well as many others. This allows you to customize how you'd take on higher difficulties, and you can have different 'loadouts' that you can swap to during your game, just by pulling out your in-game phone. You can have a setup for boss battles and another for overwhelming enemy numbers, so you're not stuck with just 1 option the whole game. You get up to 8 loadouts of 3 specific 'perks,' so you can have a big variety, if you want.

This is more of an action thriller game than survival horror, but, after 4 and 5, this shouldn't be too surprising. At $20+, you do get 4 lengthy campaigns, full cooperative play (even in Ada's after the update), agent hunt mode (where you can go in and play as an enemy in other peoples games; just be warned, some people abuse this with high powered weapons and just kill you repeatedly because it gives them higher points for unlocks...they'll then quit the game, causing you to get no credit for you playing, while they get their points still) and a fun mercenaries mode.

The only reason I'd say not to buy it is for the potential gold edition, that would probably come with everything else.

[quote name='AZR43L']Well that's probably the article I read. I didn't know it was just a rumor. Anyway, its Capcom so I expect a rerelease regardless. Confirmed or not, its still not worth the $20 imo.[/QUOTE]

There really isn't enough content currently for a re-relase anyways. Some mercenaries maps that cost $1 each and the multiplayer modes that are currently 360 only.

Besides, $20+the current DLC is cheaper than a $60 re-relase a year from now.

[quote name='Earthbound_X']Nice elitist snob attitude there, that immediately makes your opinion mean nothing to me, even if I agreed with it. When someone is so quick to treat the opinions and feelings of others like dirt, that just shows they have nothing to teach me.[/QUOTE]

images

6a00d8341c30e853ef00e553892eb68834-800pi

[quote name='Confidance']Both your argument and the one you replied to is ignorant. If you are telling us to get a job is the only way to prove adulthood because games are for kids, why play Rocksmith? So it teaches a skill, ever heard of Kinect or Leapfrog for kids? You people try too hard to down people for hobbies they love.

And for RE6, no its not the same thing. Take Resident Evil from the title and you would have a solid game with flaws. I enjoyed the story, thought it was pretty sad at points with the things that happened, but overall I had fun beating the campaigns.

What I don't enjoy is assholes bashing the game for the title and the company. That's just stupid[/QUOTE]

images

[quote name='RollingSkull']It's a game with solid fundamentals. The dodge is fantastic. The enemy variety should be good. But nothing comes together and works. It is a game that is a giant chore to play and a waste of everyone's time, but it is hard to say why simply because the components are so polished, and yet so ineffectual.[/QUOTE]

That's a very even-handed and mature way to express your opinion about the game. Thanks man. Also, Tyler's perspective is good too. Neither of you mentions co-op, and from everything I've read that's the best way to enjoy this game.

It does sound like the part of RE5 I liked best - basically becoming invincible after grinding enough - might not be in this one? Or are the better skills supremely awesome?

[quote name='etcrane']To those who are going to tell me I'm wrong, I don't care ... You have poor taste and this game is crap. Thanks and have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Etcrane, I really expected better from you. This is just an ignorant thing to say and you've reiterated it like you're not joking and think your opinion is fact. Nobody should speak that way to others.

[quote name='eastx']That's a very even-handed and mature way to express your opinion about the game. Thanks man. Also, Tyler's perspective is good too. Neither of you mentions co-op, and from everything I've read that's the best way to enjoy this game.

It does sound like the part of RE5 I liked best - basically becoming invincible after grinding enough - might not be in this one? Or are the better skills supremely awesome?[/QUOTE]

Co-op is decent fun but fails to save it largely because I still have RE5 Mercs, Shank 2, FEAR 3, and the whole litany of 360 shumps to ALSO pick from. A game that's a chore alone remains a chore in co-op.

Note I did sink a ridiculous amount of hours into the game because there is a lot of game here. Part of what makes this so polarizing is that it is one of those "almost good" games that fails in unusual ways.

Another thing to mention is how scripted everything feels. It shows in enemies that take far more damage than usual as you're working toward their next phase, and other similar pain in the ass moments where you are just waiting for the game to break the floor and send you to the next area before you should bother even attacking the boss.

As far as superpowers go, flatly no. Your weapons cannot be upgraded. There is no way to make the Hydra a cannon like it was in RE5. The skills you get, you can only equip three per time and their power boost just isn't enormous. Plus, inventory cannot be reset, managed, or sold at all but it is persistent, so once you've completed the campaign, you can't ever really sim a low-tier play again, not that you'd really want to. (Except with the other character who must go through each lower level to unlock the weapons if he/she wants to stand a chance.)

Mercenaries is alright but too much has changed. The melees aren't as satisfying. The coup-de-gras and counter systems are just as misguided as Nero's buster charge was in DMC4 and since you MUST do them to clock respectable scores the whole shebang is just less fun than RE5's Mercs was. I couldn't get my co-op buddies to make the jump and I don't blame them.

That's not to say RE5 Mercs didn't have some retarded score choices either though.

If I had to blame one thing that RE6 ruined, I'd say just the way the levels play. There are moments that are almost exciting, like when you're given a boss or midboss to fight (The ones that are more entertaining than "Oh, he'll instant kill you if you walk near him hope you saved rifle ammo lol") but there's only about two or three of those that are all that memorable, one of whom gets repeated four times throughout Jake's campaign, but the pacing is just wrecked by the constant need for QTEs, vehicle segments, and just an unwillingness to make a level with point A, point B, monsters in between, go. Half of the levels that do that? Machine gun and sniper rifle fights! Even ORC's controls would have worked better.

Also, the "Collect the 5 macguffins while being stalked" levels all use the same stalking enemy who isn't any fun to fight and is only even remotely a challenge when six of them all spawn around one of the macguffins.

god damn ... look at all the RE6 apologists in this thread ... like a bunch of god damn Uncle Leon's up in this cabin ...

[quote name='whoknows']There really isn't enough content currently for a re-relase anyways. Some mercenaries maps that cost $1 each and the multiplayer modes that are currently 360 only.

Besides, $20+the current DLC is cheaper than a $60 re-relase a year from now.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's why I'd rent it if anything.
I'm not saying someone will regret buying this game now (its just 20 bucks anyway). What I'm saying is that the game just isn't a must-have in my opinion and I honestly wouldn't mind the wait. There are much better games out there right now and coming soon (including RE: Revelations). I'd only recommend RE6 to someone looking for a game with couch co-op and that's because there aren't many to begin with.

[quote name='eastx']Etcrane, I really expected better from you. This is just an ignorant thing to say and you've reiterated it like you're not joking and think your opinion is fact. Nobody should speak that way to others.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_mcvo5vH6rh1r96x1xo1_400.png

[quote name='AZR43L']Yea that's why I'd rent it if anything.
I'm not saying someone will regret buying this game now (its just 20 bucks anyway). What I'm saying is that the game just isn't a must-have in my opinion and I honestly wouldn't mind the wait. There are much better games out there right now and coming soon (including RE: Revelations). I'd only recommend RE6 to someone looking for a game with couch co-op and that's because there aren't many to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I played 2/4 campaigns on my own first time through. The AI is handled in a great way where it's not a hassle to play alone like it was in RE5. IMO RE6 is still one of the better third person shooters to come out. Love the dodging and the countering is so satisfying. Especially when playing mercenaries and you're countering one enemy after another. Speaking of which it has the best version of mercenaries out of all the RE games because of the gameplay style IMO. I've spent a lot of time playing that mode. I've spent 70 hours with the game which is a lot more time than any other game in a long long time.

I do love the people though who say this game sucks yet they've played through it at least once. Maybe I'm just weird because I stop playing games I'm not enjoying instead of spending 20+ hours with them.

I am a huge resident evil fan but I bought 6 knowing it sucks just like I knew Final Fantasy XIII sucks when I bought it. Its because im a super troll and I want them to keep making bad games.

jk

I bought it partially because even though I know its bad, I want to see how bad it actually is first hand. I could always sell it/trade it in after the fact if it is indeed that horrible. Yes I know I could rent it, but for $20 why not? its not that much money to me, I spent more on a pizza today than that.

PS3 version is back up to $29 on Amazon, out of stock online(and not in any stores near me) on Bestbuy. Guess fate doesn't want me to have this game. Not gonna lose any sleep over it.

I didn't like the game at all. And I love RE. It was a chore to play. No apologies for that. If you liked it, cool. I didn't.

[quote name='happydogs']PS3 version is back up to $29 on Amazon, out of stock online(and not in any stores near me) on Bestbuy. Guess fate doesn't want me to have this game. Not gonna lose any sleep over it.[/QUOTE]

huh? that was quick, Amazon changed the price since bestbuy no longer shows this available for shipping....

[quote name='happydogs']PS3 version is back up to $29 on Amazon, out of stock online(and not in any stores near me) on Bestbuy. Guess fate doesn't want me to have this game. Not gonna lose any sleep over it.[/QUOTE]

Then, I'm glad yesterday I finally decided and bought two Ps3 copies, one for me and one for a good friend so we can coop the story mode.
A year ago most $20 games were an instant buy for me, now my price point is $15-$10.

Wouldn't buy from Amazon even if they match with Best Buy. I'm getting 5% back from Discover, free shipping with no minimum, and Best Buy reward points that Amazon can't even match.

i priced matched my copy at wal mart with the ad from the sunday paper.
for 20$ its still not a good game but the wal mart version came with stickers.
so at least i got stickers.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Great game, 35 hour campaign, the stories intertwine and its a lot of fun. Was worth it at release and definitely at this price.[/QUOTE]

That must have included side quests right? 35 hrs is pretty long

I went to 2 Best Buys yesterday around noon, the first which is usually stocked to the brim with games was completely depleted of stock. It seemed like post-black friday. No RE6 at all. I went to the next BB which online showed as "available". I go to the racks, and no RE6s or even the RE6 white price dividers.

I asked the game guy and he's like "hmm, we should have some..." then disappears for 15 minutes "in the back" and returns with just my copy. The site showed available which should mean a decent amount were in stock so he should have put them on the floor. I'm guessing employees were hiding them for themselves.

It's not the first time I've heard first hand from employees saying they hide games they want to make sure they can buy later.

It shows availble for shipping (Ps3 and 360) and in stock at almost every BB I have checked at their site.

[quote name='Donut2922']That must have included side quests right? 35 hrs is pretty long[/QUOTE]
No side quests. You have 4 campaigns with 5 missions each and they'll take more than an hour per for your first playthrough. 30-35 hours is a good estimate, that's why even at $40, this game was a pretty decent deal and at $20, it's a steal.

Let me start off by saying I have never been a Resident Evil fan.I have only played Resident Evil 1,5 and now 6. So me and a friend decided to buy RE:6 because we needed a new coop game to play and we have been having alot of fun with RE:6. We have only played half way through the Jake campaign and its been pretty fun and crazy with that Boss with claw chasing us. I still dont see why it gets so much hate,but maybe its because I never got into the RE series.

PS: We hated the snow level in the Jake campaign I believe its 2-1.

[quote name='dohdough']No side quests. You have 4 campaigns with 5 missions each and they'll take more than an hour per for your first playthrough. 30-35 hours is a good estimate, that's why even at $40, this game was a pretty decent deal and at $20, it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow that is a good deal. My co-op partner and i have yet to open up our BB copy. Thanks!

[quote name='FerDK']It shows availble for shipping (Ps3 and 360) and in stock at almost every BB I have checked at their site.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't have bothered to check again.

I've only got two stores within 30 miles of me, the closest of which is about 15 miles away, and neither of them had it in stock. Besides, when you figure in the cost of gas, it rarely makes sense to ship to store, when you're driving out of the way to get there.

[quote name='happydogs']Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't have bothered to check again.

I've only got two stores within 30 miles of me, the closest of which is about 15 miles away, and neither of them had it in stock. Besides, when you figure in the cost of gas, it rarely makes sense to ship to store, when you're driving out of the way to get there.[/QUOTE]

Then ship it to your place, it's still available and free.

[quote name='FerDK']Then ship it to your place, it's still available and free.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what i did. Last night when i checked, it was only available for pickup.

[quote name='Donut2922']Oh wow that is a good deal. My co-op partner and i have yet to open up our BB copy. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I *loved* the game in local co-op, hope you will too.

Do I miss the old Resident Evil? Yes I do.
Did RE6 fail to achieve a good mix between horror and action? Yes it did.

But I do feel Capcom did not deserve the overwhelming hatred, because it considered the action perspective because it did not have a choice, seeing how action games such as COD rake in the majority of the U.S. market. The modern youth's video game taste has accelerated the demise of the old RE, very much like the direction of today's pop music. If Japan was a comparable market to the U.S., we would perhaps see a different evolution of RE.

Everything above is only personal opinion.

I agree as well and there were a bunch of recycled missions, but it makes sense considering the way the story is told...not saying it isn't kinda lazy though. Then again, you wouldn't see the same kind of value for play time if it was a linear story told form one perspective. 30+ hours on the first playthrough is still very rare in gaming, especially in this genre, unless we're talking rpg's.

[quote name='dohdough']I agree as well and there were a bunch of recycled missions, but it makes sense considering the way the story is told...not saying it isn't kinda lazy though. Then again, you wouldn't see the same kind of value for play time if it was a linear story told form one perspective. 30+ hours on the first playthrough is still very rare in gaming, especially in this genre, unless we're talking rpg's.[/QUOTE]

They weren't whole missions IIRC. The only parts you repeat are a couple points where you meet up with other characters and can play online with other people.

You may be in the same areas as some of the other characters in the story were/are at during certain points, but you aren't doing the same thing at all.

I agree about the playtime though. I loved that the game offered so much. Something that I would hate to see go in future games.

[quote name='whoknows']They weren't whole missions IIRC. The only parts you repeat are a couple points where you meet up with other characters and can play online with other people.

You may be in the same areas as some of the other characters in the story were/are at during certain points, but you aren't doing the same thing at all.

I agree about the playtime though. I loved that the game offered so much. Something that I would hate to see go in future games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, some locations collide, but only for a small portion of each campaign.

For those who have not yet played the game, one way to play it is to play each campaign, finishing with Ada's (which is essential that you finish Ada's last and do indeed play through Ada's campaign).

There is another "chronological" way of playing it too, mixing the chapters.

bread's done
Back