Retro City Rampage Vita and PS3 free for PS+ XMAS

If you didn't grow up knowing many of the video games, tv shows, movies that RCR parody's , then this game isn't for you to begin with. I think it is an awesome game, especially when you get chased by the ninja turtles at the beginning.

[quote name='HyperG']If you didn't grow up knowing many of the video games, tv shows, movies that RCR parody's , then this game isn't for you to begin with. I think it is an awesome game, especially when you get chased by the ninja turtles at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

Chased by Ninja Turtles, the A-Team, and Tubbs and Crockett!

See, now since I was a late 80's kid that's as far as my knowledge goes lol. Either way I love the idea of the game, brought back many memories and no other game has really done it well enough like this one as far as parody's go.

[quote name='exceed19']Wow... Just my opinion here but I would not of paid $2 for this game. I grew up on 8bit gaming, and I do not need the flashiest graphics - But I just cant get into this game. I played for about 20 minutes, am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

Lmao. I thought the same thing whenever I tried the demo. I'll try this, again, though....

Thanks for the correction there Frisky! I guess it was the winter games sale which is ending on 12/30 as per the ps blog post. No mention of RCR being no longer available after that date.

I agree with everyone who thought RCR reminded you of River City Ransom. The devs must'ah've used River City as the blueprint. lol.

I also agree with everyone who has come to the conclusion that there really is no need to purchase PSN games if you have PS+ since almost everything that is released on PSN eventually becomes free for PS Plus. The ONLY vita game I've bought since the ICG was announced for Vita was Resistance:BS which I picked up for $10 and I've been holding off on buying Journey (even with it having gone on sale recently) because I'm CERTAIN it'll end up in the ICG someday. Thanks to PS+, I'm just buying AAA retail disc based games these days. It's not that I have a problem with buying something off the PSN that I really, really want but my back catalog of games is so big right now that I figure whatever game I'm looking at buying should be something I want to play right now or else it'll end up being offered for free by the time I get around to playing it. Is not like these games on the PSN go away (with the exception of Chessmaster Art of Learning for PSP that I bought and has since disappeared entirely and I'm still po'ed about that) after they're published on the PSN. I dare say that Sony's practice of giving away games on PS+ immediately after having offered the same game with a deep discount on sale has contributed greatly to this attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HyperG']If you didn't grow up knowing many of the video games, tv shows, movies that RCR parody's , then this game isn't for you to begin with. I think it is an awesome game, especially when you get chased by the ninja turtles at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

I'm an 80's kid and I picked up on some of the references. The problem with the game for me is that the story and tutorial are flashing by so quick that I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it.

One second I'm robbing a bank and the next I'm time travelling in Bill and Ted's phone booth to what appears to be the same city at the same period in time?! Then I'm destroying everyone with a rocket launcher and then a tank then given a fetch quest. No idea WTF is going on other than that.

The tiny 8bit graphics don't help the problem and make it even worse. I'm going to keep going for another hour or so, but so far its not doing it for me.

I've never messed with cross-play before. I'm assuming both the PS3 and Vita versions of these type of games share the same trophies?

[quote name='barrit']I've never messed with cross-play before. I'm assuming both the PS3 and Vita versions of these type of games share the same trophies?[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different, but this one shares a list.

I played the demo a week or so ago on the Vita and dug it. Was waiting for it to go on sale, but this is even better. :D

Guess this game is just not for everyone.

[quote name='admiralvic']Everyone is different, but this one shares a list.[/QUOTE]

So some cross play games do not share a trophy list? How odd. So sometimes it may be in your best interest not to use the cross-play function. For example.. you play the PS3 version of a game and are about to unlock a trophy that takes hours to get (let's say a trophy to reach level 100 in whatever game). So if you get level 99 on the PS3 version, then switch over to the Vita version and level to 100, you'd unlock it on the Vita version only, then have to start all over on the PS3 version and reach level 100 again. Ack.. that would really suck for those that like to platinum games.

[quote name='barrit']So some cross play games do not share a trophy list? How odd. So sometimes it may be in your best interest not to use the cross-play function. For example.. you play the PS3 version of a game and are about to unlock a trophy that takes hours to get (let's say a trophy to reach level 100 in whatever game). So if you get level 99 on the PS3 version, then switch over to the Vita version and level to 100, you'd unlock it on the Vita version only, then have to start all over on the PS3 version and reach level 100 again. Ack.. that would really suck for those that like to platinum games.[/QUOTE]

Easy fix....Upload save to cloud/USB drive. Transfer to other system, get trophy, go to original system re-download save...get trophy.

bread's done
Back