Retro Gen - Portable Genesis - Preorders $40 @ Gamesboro.net

anji2128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
A good friend of mine who owns a video game store in Statesboro, GA is getting in some new Sega Genesis consoles distributed through Innex. I could sit and try to explain everything to you, but I'll let his post from over at Sega-16 do the talking.

"I finally confirmed pricing with Innex so our preorder is officially up and running on the Retrogen system.

It is actually LESS than I thought it was going to be, $40.00 in fact!

Retrogen preorder

Our site is relatively new, and I'm hoping that the Sega-16 community will support us. We focus on classic gaming, and try to get hard to find items. Over the next couple of days you are going to see more and more items appear on the site. This is our first big preorder move so we are hoping that it is very successfull, it is also the lowest price to be found anywhere on this unit!

Feel free to stop by http://www.gamesboro.net as well and see what our community is up too.

If you have any questions you can PM me or send an email to [email protected] "

He's a pretty cool guy and he's legit. If you have any further questions to ask me feel free to do so.

retrogen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A WORD OF WARNING:

Certain Genesis games WILL NOT work with a 6-button controller. You'll think the game is broken or something, but its because for some reason the game will only work with a 3 button controller. Unless the guys who made this included a function to turn off 3 buttons during games you will not be able to play certain early Genesis games.

[quote name='NutManIV']A WORD OF WARNING:

Certain Genesis games WILL NOT work with a 6-button controller. You'll think the game is broken or something, but its because for some reason the game will only work with a 3 button controller. Unless the guys who made this included a function to turn off 3 buttons during games you will not be able to play certain early Genesis games.[/QUOTE]

oh well, i'll deal with it.

Here is the scoop, I'll know Monday if we are going to have a delay or not. If they are delayed Innex has assured me that it won't be very long, they said that they are waiting for them to come through the port.

If the unit has a mode button then 3 button games will work fine, OR they could have handled this internally through emulation. The only way to know for sure is when it arrives. My "early unit" is being held up the same way the rest of them are. That one will be overnighted to me as soon as its available and I'll have video of it up the same day. So I should be able to still beat the launch of the unit to the punch.

For everyone who pre-orders, I'm including the flyer posted above. (I've had people show interest in the flyer)

[quote name='Beastech']Here is the scoop, I'll know Monday if we are going to have a delay or not. If they are delayed Innex has assured me that it won't be very long, they said that they are waiting for them to come through the port.

If the unit has a mode button then 3 button games will work fine, OR they could have handled this internally through emulation. The only way to know for sure is when it arrives. My "early unit" is being held up the same way the rest of them are. That one will be overnighted to me as soon as its available and I'll have video of it up the same day. So I should be able to still beat the launch of the unit to the punch.

For everyone who pre-orders, I'm including the flyer posted above. (I've had people show interest in the flyer)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update, i'll be checking back for your review.

OK, well its Monday and I got the information. Unfortunately you are not going to like it very much... I've sent out an official statement to all pre-order customers stating this

Retrogen/Firecore/Genesis Portable

Unfortunately due to events beyond my control the new systems listed above will be delayed until 08/14. I was informed by Innex today that this will be the absolute latest that they arrive so it is possible that they show up before then. If this is the case they will be shipped the same day they arrive on location to your homes/offices.

I know this is sad news, as I do not want to be the one who has to tell anyone this, let alone new customers. I hope you will not think less of the company as we truely have no way of getting the systems faster. Our rep at Innex has stated that the Gamesboro order will be handled first, before anyone else.

Again I apologize, and I hope you stay with us and see this through.

well that sucks, I was hoping to have this by aug 13th. I wanted to bring it with me on vacation. It would of been cool sitting on the beach playing streets of rage! Oh well....I'll wait....

GEN Mobile is now also up for pre-order at http://www.gsubooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7087

It's 60 bucks, has 20 games built in PLUS it is officially licensed by Sega. It has a cartridge port as well.

My rep at Hyperkin let me hear this one over the phone (he can't send one to me quite yet) and let me tell you the sound is definately better than on the past AtGames unit. He was playing Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition.

The Retrogen has been delayed, and that goes for my early unit as well. They are working out some last minute kinks. I DO have something else you guys might enjoy as well though for a very similar product coming out around the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8C_e1LYZY

This video is for the GEN Mobile that I was talking about earlier.

We got our early version of the FireCore and the Genesis Portable yesterday and are actually currently splicing together the test video to be posted as I'm typing. We unfortunately didn't receive an early Retro Gen. We're looking at all three models to be ready for shipment sometime next week. This of course all depends on Innex getting them out on time.
As far as the GenMobile and the GenCore go, rumor has it they'll be ready by the end of the month.

Despite all these delays and such, we do have something that I think everyone is ready to finally see...gameplay footage from the built-in games on the FireCore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKCzzQatpQ

[quote name='Jon Bon']that video makes it look like pretty poor emulation[/QUOTE]

Yeah the sound is definitely messed up on Sonic & Knuckles...

So is this thing ever coming out or is the next Phantom? Supposedly today was the release date according to gamesboro after many weeks of delay and videogamecentral has a new expected date of 9/22. Any news on if they actually exist in America yet?

FINALLY! It will be arriving THIS Thursday!

I didn't get a chance to get a preview unit, as once it was in I opted instead to get it shipped in a little faster since everyone has been waiting for so long. I'll have tons of videos once I've shipped out the first run of units.

As others have said, the sound seems way off. It's like certain trademark sounds have been replaced b other effects that don't sound correct. Anyone else notice this?

Some ppl keep mentioning this psp system ... what is it something that no one bought or something?

I like how the system looks ... I think I'd actually have to play one though

[quote name='soonersfan60']Screen seems a little small... I'm disappointed with the huge black border.[/QUOTE]

The black border seems to be just a border, but not part of the actual LCD display itself. From what I could see, each game was shown full screen. It's just that the black border is part of the aesthetic design of the unit, and that's what may be throwing us.

I wish the screen were larger, too, but as long as everything is crisp and viewable in a GBA micro kind of way, I think I could live with it.

I think I'm more concerned about the d-pad. I can't tell if the buttons are segmented or if it's more like a Playstation pad.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']
I think I'm more concerned about the d-pad. I can't tell if the buttons are segmented or if it's more like a Playstation pad.[/QUOTE]

I would be willing to bet that its not segmented.

bread's done
Back