Riz-Zoawd - The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road - Out now!

ChibiJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.d3p.co.jp/riz/

Title is an anagram of Wizard-Oz.

I like the character art (Tin Man looks badass). Although, the concept is a frightening thought.

Rizzoawdbox.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the art style is awesome, as is the page music (do I hear Hitoshi Sakimoto?). It's a shame that the US will never see this.

*edit* I am in absolute AWE about this game. So much so that I've sent off a letter to D3 (US) to see what chance there is at getting this one localized. And yes, it is Hitoshi Sakimoto (FFXII, Valkyria Chronicles) and Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms). HOLY LIVING fuck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's an all right chance that this will get released in the US. It has a few things going for it. It's on the DS, and The Wizard of Oz is a beloved American classic. Plus they released Eternal Sonata (twice) which I think would be just as unlikely as this.

Interesting concept - i'd definitely pick this up if it came to the U.S. Hopefully someone is reading this thread........

Curious how you found this......just browsing the D3 website?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button[/quote]

Cool. More text about the game from that site:

MEDIA VISION DANCES ON BAUM'S SPINNING GRAVE WITH RIZ-ZOAWD
L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz passed into the public domain back in 1956, but it took decades for a Japanese game developer to seize upon this and create a DS RPG based on Dorothy's adventures in political allegory. Riz-zoawd, currently in the works at Media Vision (which also made the Wild Arms series), turns the tale into a 3-D RPG. The Scarecrow wields a guitar and the witches look like magical-girl icons, but the whole thing seems a little more faithful to Baum's vision than, say, Dorothy of Oz. Players spur Dorothy along by scratching the DS stylus across a track-ball on the lower screen, and the battles use the familiar first-person view that Dragon Quest will never abandon. There's no word on a U.S. release, but domestic publishers might be tempted by a familiar license that won't incur heavy charges.

Bumping since this game was released in Japan last month. The official site has 3 trailers and 3 commercials on it.

There's talk that XSeed (love them) have expressed interest in bring it to the US. I hope that comes through. It looks beautiful.

This didn't sell shit in Japan, so don't get your hopes up (don't remember the exact numbers, but they were very low). It does look awesome though.

That's a shame. Remember, No More Heroes did poorly in Japan and managed to do surprisingly well in the states, so I guess there's still hope.

[quote name='Squarehard']This relates better in the states since it is after all The Wizard of Oz. Plus, that's one nice axe.[/quote]

Something based on the Wizard of Oz is bound to do better here, but with a title name like it has...well, I would imagine it can be easily overlooked.

Doing laughibly poorly over wouldn't prevent them from coming over here. The art style is gorgeous and I'm sure it would do well enough for them to break even. The scarecrow looks pretty cool (in an insane sort of way), and I like the style that all of them are drawn in. I really hope this comes over here.

The art style and concept sounds cool. I don't know much about japanese tv spots for games ... but those sucked. 'Rub the bottom screen to run' doesn't seem like a great gameplay innovation.

If there was no chance in hell that this was going to be localized then I probably would have imported it already.

Hopefully if it is going to get an English translation that it happens sooner rather than later.

[quote name='Razzuel']If there was no chance in hell that this was going to be localized then I probably would have imported it already.[/quote]

This. I'm just biding my time until (*crosses fingers*) it's announced.

[quote name='Whambamm']Awesome! I didn't think this was going to have a chance.[/QUOTE]

Me neither. Great to see it's gonna make it here. Man, I love XSEED these days. First Retro Game Challenge, I'm planning to get Little King's Story, and now this.

(Still holding out hope for Retro Game Challenge 2..)

The people who have played this on GAF claim that it has the best graphics they've seen on the system. I honestly can't wait to play this, it looks fun and the graphics are :drool:

Is anyone else going to love/hate september as much as I am. With nostalgia out the 15th this the 22nd and Kingdom hearts on the 29th. Seriously, why is it that DS game companies like to release really big RPGs all in the same damn month. Oh, and Mario and Luigi 3 on the 14th. I hate you all xseed, Squeenix, nintendo, and ignition entertainment

The review I read in Nintendo Power only gave it a 65, and the bit they quoted on Metacritic claimed it was easily forgotten. I'm still interested and am first in line at Goozex to get it, when I feel like activating it. Right now, though, I want Kingdom Hearts DS.

I picked up Kingdom Hearts actually, but I think it's the worse game.
(RPGamer really slammed it).
I think I'll sell it and get this instead.

[quote name='dallow']I picked up Kingdom Hearts actually, but I think it's the worse game.
(RPGamer really slammed it).
I think I'll sell it and get this instead.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what are you impressions on this one? Since I'm considerably biased towards the DS and prefer to play games on this than any other platform typically, I figure I'll enjoy it. ...I hope.

I have so many games going on right now and the near future that I'm just going to wait and try to pick it up for $20 or less.

Wow does XSeed want to go bankrupt or something? No hype anywhere for this game, and I have never seen a advertisement which doesn't cost you anything, but not even my friends know about this game or Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga. Not only that It's not exactly well stocked locally.

At least Little King's Story got some advertisement and became a internet hit.

Post your impressions when you can.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow does XSeed want to go bankrupt or something? No hype anywhere for this game, and I have never seen a advertisement which doesn't cost you anything, but not even my friends know about this game or Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga. Not only that It's not exactly well stocked locally.

At least Little King's Story got some advertisement and became a internet hit.

Post your impressions when you can.[/QUOTE]

And they handed off Muramasa to Ignition for some reason, when it was by far their biggest chance at a high-selling game.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow does XSeed want to go bankrupt or something?[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons that I want to pick up this game now, to support XSeed. But, I already have Fragile preordered, so I can let this one slide.

The story itself is public domain now, but the people who own the copyrights to the film might throw up enough of a wall concerning this if they think it's worth it, and the game devs might not believe it worth dealing with a movie studio to release a game that doesn't seem to tie in with the film at all.

But somehow, we'll no doubt see a Michael Bay remake of the film, replacing story with car chases, because good storytelling isn't profitable anymore. And not to ruin the new ending, but "Oz" was all a hallucination concocted by Dorothy hitting her head, as Michael Bay wants to preserve "realism".

The magic of copyrights.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']That's one of the reasons that I want to pick up this game now, to support XSeed. But, I already have Fragile preordered, so I can let this one slide.[/QUOTE]

I'll support them when they release the games I want, like Lunar and Arc Rise Fantasia. I'd buy Retro Game Challenge 2 if they weren't being dicks about bringing it over, but alas.

bread's done
Back