Road to Wrestlemania that points at the Wrestlemania sign Wrestlemania XXVIII thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chase']If the Big E were to add another title, my vote would be for a TV title. Makes the most sense. They could market the champion by having him booked on various TV shows. That would be a modern way to get over a rising star and another way for WWE to set its hooks into the entertainment industry.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting a TV title for years, but sadly the US Title is being treated like it lately (even though it's not being defended EVERY week...)

I do like the idea of the Jack Brisco 15 championship in FCW. I know I'll never see it on RAW, but it would be fucking awesome to see it utilized on Smackdown or even NXT.

Not adding a title but I like the bit on Antonio Cesaro's FCW page about winning the US title and throwing it away in favor of the European title...sounds like a great way to get some heat for a new (to WWE) guy.

[quote name='Demolition Man']In other news... yeah.... Randy Orton will be in The Marine 3.

Discuss?[/QUOTE]

He'll go to the papers if he has to.

[quote name='Demolition Man']In other news... yeah.... Randy Orton will be in The Marine 3.

Discuss?[/QUOTE]
Many years ago, I worked with a former Marine who said he served with him. He said he remembered Orton was a clown and all he'd do was whine and talk about was how his father was some hot shot famous wrestler and one day Orton just went AWOL which was what led to his dishonorable discharge.

It was memorable for my former Marine buddy because he used to get teased along with Orton because their names were pretty similar and he thought it was hilarious that he went into wrestling cause he acted like a little b****.

I may not have all the details exactly right, but unfortunately, I can't go back and ask him more because he passed away a few years back. He was known to have a sense of humor, but for as long as I knew him, he wasn't the type to tell tall tales.

If I served in the MC or I bothered to watch movies from WWE films, I think I'd have mixed feelings about RO playing a Marine.

The best name change on a title was when Lance Storm won the hardcore and US title in WCW and I think renamed them the Canadian championship and something else for the hardcore championship.

The hardcore title was renamed the Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title. He's confirmed that it was only named that because Russo thought the fact it was abbreviated SHIT was hilarious. Go figure.

[quote name='TheRock88']Looks like they did change the design of the cell. Looks like its made of metal instead of chain link and its curved around the sides.

Mania.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Did they change the design because of the logistical problems they would have setting up the cell outdoors? Typically they have lowered the cell down from the rafters, but being in Joe Robbie (or whatever it is called now) renders that impossible.

Does everyone forget they usually have a huge setup around the ring for lighting at these Wrestlemania shows? I know they haven't shown that time lapse footage of them building the WM set in a while but damn people...

That being said I like the new cell. Although I doubt they would have anyway, it looks like it would be a bitch to climb on top of it.

[quote name='masked lemon']

That being said I like the new cell. Although I doubt they would have anyway, it looks like it would be a bitch to climb on top of it.[/QUOTE]

Just as long as Homicide stays away from it they should be fine.

[quote name='musha666']Just as long as Homicide stays away from it they should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for obscure yet hilarious reference.
What did that add, like 5 extra minutes to that match?

I'll hold some judgment on the supposed cell re-design, but it looks like it will obscure the crowd's view of the match - so they'll have to watch it on the big screen.

Is it live or is it memorex?

Also, thanks to whoever posted the Punk interview in the Chicago Tribune yesterday. The more I read interviews with him, the more I'm inclined to think he's entirely self-absorbed, like all the prominent wrestlers in years and decades past. Flair, Hogan, HBK, Bret Hart, Triple H - people who got to where they are by being egocentric powerwhores who, once they get a hold of power, use it largely to only their benefit. That's why Punk hasn't changed a thing in the program despite his rebellion of last year (which, in reading interviews, he seems to think more highly of that angle's influence in hindsight than most others do - it was a great angle, but again, it's done nothing but make Punk a star on a show that's exactly as it was a year ago). He sounds like he's kind of a massive jerk to people, and then acts affronted if people are jerks to him. Again, this is all conjecture just from reading interviews with him, but he's totally the crybaby who can dish it out, but can't take it.

Oddly enough, Cena is looking really good this year so far, yet it seems CM Punk, internet and indy wrestling darling, is the one deserving of the "same old shit!" chants.

The part of the article that really irked me was the part about the servers at the bar being his own personal bouncers. A guy who really cared about the fans wouldn't be so averse to spending a minute or two with them. I understand that even celebrities need their personal time, even in the public, but to hold such utter contempt for the fans in the way Punk seems to, particularly when he's holding a babyface role, is just plain bullshit.

That's the one thing I will always give Cena, he seemingly bends over backward for any and all fans despite continually being handed shit sandwiches from them on a constant basis.

Indeed, Punk seems to be a massive egomaniac that thinks everything that comes out of his mouth is gold. We saw hints of this even last year with his "pipe bomb" in that just because he says it, it'll be controversial and captivating.

[quote name='spyder187']quoted for obscure yet hilarious reference.
what did that add, like 5 extra minutes to that match?
[/quote]

"He's just showin' off now!"

[quote name='mykevermin']I'll hold some judgment on the supposed cell re-design, but it looks like it will obscure the crowd's view of the match - so they'll have to watch it on the big screen.

Is it live or is it memorex?

Also, thanks to whoever posted the Punk interview in the Chicago Tribune yesterday. The more I read interviews with him, the more I'm inclined to think he's entirely self-absorbed, like all the prominent wrestlers in years and decades past. Flair, Hogan, HBK, Bret Hart, Triple H - people who got to where they are by being egocentric powerwhores who, once they get a hold of power, use it largely to only their benefit. That's why Punk hasn't changed a thing in the program despite his rebellion of last year (which, in reading interviews, he seems to think more highly of that angle's influence in hindsight than most others do - it was a great angle, but again, it's done nothing but make Punk a star on a show that's exactly as it was a year ago). He sounds like he's kind of a massive jerk to people, and then acts affronted if people are jerks to him. Again, this is all conjecture just from reading interviews with him, but he's totally the crybaby who can dish it out, but can't take it.

Oddly enough, Cena is looking really good this year so far, yet it seems CM Punk, internet and indy wrestling darling, is the one deserving of the "same old shit!" chants.[/QUOTE]

Punk has always been an asshole, it's not like he tries to hide it. Going way back to the MAW days he was a jerk to most people, it's just the way he is.

"How ya doin', Colt Cabana" is certainly enough to mark out over, but 'pipebomb'? Hardly.

You mentioning Punk using hourly-wage servers as his personal bouncers reminds me of some gossip making the round about LeBron James a few months ago:

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/2012...r-who-frequently-waited-on-the-nba-superstar/

LeBron would ask his servers to have his steak (well done) already cut up for him, which corroborates a report by a (former?) server at Johnny’s who once told Grzegorek that LeBron would order his spaghetti cut up as well, and also of course enhances the credibility of our source.

CUT UP FOR HIM!?!?!?! JAYSIS!

Anyway, yeah, solid point - if I'm making $2.13 an hour and protecting your table from gawping fans, you better tip like a motherfucker. I hope he does, but I suspect he doesn't. Most celebrities tip like shit. Apparently Al Snow was a notorious shitty tip (if you got one at all) - and, more ingratiating than that, he made sure everyone in the building thought he was the king of the world, because he was Al Snow, TeeVee star.

I take that back. I'd love to have worked a Horsemen afterparty back in their heyday. Ric Flair made a ton of money and spent like he had even more, so i suspect he tipped super lavish-like.

[quote name='SEH']
Punk has always been an asshole, it's not like he tries to hide it. Going way back to the MAW days he was a jerk to most people, it's just the way he is.[/QUOTE]

Personally, the reason I take exception to him being such an asshole is not because he's an asshole but rather because, in his eyes, that's reason to worship him. His assholishness is disingenuous. He tries to act like he doesn't care what people think but in reality its much the opposite, he cares very deeply what people feel about him so long as they elevate him in doing so.

If he was just an outright asshole and didn't care what people thought that would be one thing but by being that asshole that wants us to act like he isn't makes him something more than your average asshole.

The guy is just completely disingenuous. As Myke pointed out earlier, he wanted so bad for us to believe that he was fighting for a change in pro wrestling and the WWE but as soon as he "got his" he dropped right back in line. He's a sellout of the most transparent kind.

Him being an asshole definitely isn't "disingenuous". The times I've been around him he has always given off that vibe that he legit doesn't give a fuck what fans think of him, he's going to do what he's going to do regardless. Like I said, he has ALWAYS been that way. I'm not sure why people are just now figuring this out/deciding to get angry about it.

If he really doesn't give a shit what fans think then why does he not only have a Twitter but is also one of the most active wrestlers on Twitter?

He wants to be worshipped, and treated like the god of wrestling, which is fine because frankly that's the biz. The problem though is that he has shown himself to be the exact same as the people he rallied all of us against almost a year ago, HHH and Vince. That's where the disingenuousness comes from, the fact that he was never an outsider but rather an insider that just hadn't gotten "in" yet and needed to manipulate to do so.

He's shown absolutely no humility since achieving and holding main event status. You want to see someone who's humble? Take the top guy in the company and put him in an angle with Zack Ryder and Eve, now that's humility...

I'm surprised how long its taken for people to "turn" on Punk. I think its only a matter of time before the masses do. Although a scripted heel turn may cut that off.

Have you looked at his twitter? It's him posting pics of comics he's reading, quoting songs/movies, and retweeting dumbass people. I'm not really sure how having a twitter account means he wants to be "worshiped".

Also, you do know wrestling is fake, right? All that stuff last summer was an angle.

[quote name='SEH']Have you looked at his twitter? It's him posting pics of comics he's reading, quoting songs/movies, and retweeting dumbass people. I'm not really sure how having a twitter account means he wants to be "worshiped".

Also, you do know wrestling is fake, right? All that stuff last summer was an angle.[/QUOTE]

This guy man.. this guy. :roll:

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how he's now a sellout. Why is he a sellout? Because he participated in an angle last year? Wrestling is fake and the WWE's writers are pretty terrible. Did you expect them to put something together for him that still makes sense and fits within the context of what he did last summer? If you really thought they were capable of that, you must not have been watching the product for the past eight years.

Oh...wait...you actually thought those "shooty" promos he cut last summer were real, didn't you? It's all making sense now.

[quote name='SEH']Have you looked at his twitter? It's him posting pics of comics he's reading, quoting songs/movies, and retweeting dumbass people. I'm not really sure how having a twitter account means he wants to be "worshiped".

Also, you do know wrestling is fake, right? All that stuff last summer was an angle.[/QUOTE]

It's still real to me, dammit!

[quote name='SEH']I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how he's now a sellout. Why is he a sellout? Because he participated in an angle last year? Wrestling is fake and the WWE's writers are pretty terrible. Did you expect them to put something together for him that still makes sense and fits within the context of what he did last summer? If you really thought they were capable of that, you must not have been watching the product for the past eight years.

Oh...wait...you actually thought those "shooty" promos he cut last summer were real, didn't you? It's all making sense now.[/QUOTE]

I'm sort of in the same boat here. Whether or not CM Punk is "punk" is irrelevant. He's a highly paid employee of the only major-league wrestling promotion in the Western hemisphere (maybe the world although I'm way behind on Japanese wrestling).

I'm as disappointed as the next guy that the Summer of Punk angle didn't carry until, I dunno, this Sunday but holy shit, it isn't like I actually expected him to legitimately quit the WWE with the title.

Did I want to see him show up on indy shows and defend it? Absolutely.

Do I think the angle got cut way, way short? Oh god yes.

Do I think that Punk had any real say in how the angle ended up? Not really.

My disappointment with the WWE's immediate slide back into mediocrity and boredom is directed at the people who likely caused it, namely Vince McMahon and his family, not at Punk for simply doing what he was told.

[quote name='SEH']Oh...wait...you actually thought those "shooty" promos he cut last summer were real, didn't you? It's all making sense now.[/QUOTE]

It fit with his persona - both in front of the camera, in interviews with the press, and dirt sheet reports of his behavior within the company. Since there's ample evidence to suggest, yeah, this guy does have legitimate gripes with the company, and they seem to jive with my own, and there's zero evidence to suggest otherwise - a person should reasonably come to the conclusion that he is legitimately that way.

If a person is "working" you 24/7, are they ever illegitimate? ;)

Look, the guy is a superstar, he's an excellent wrestler. I'm not knocking his talent. But for everything he promoted last year, he made himself a WWE Sooperstar™. Great, congratulations.

Problem with that is one or two things:
1) He hasn't changed an iota of his complaints from the summer of punk angle, and thus he's shown himself to be someone who I, as a viewer, can't believe. If I can't believe someone at their word, I can't get behind them as a babyface. Fool me once, shame on you and all that nonsense. He's been the champ, he's at the top of the card, he got a giant raise, he got a private bus, he got his own music, and t-shirts galore. He's got it made. Which is why this whole idea of him being a "pipebomb" is so laughable - he's got his, so now we don't expect any pipebombs anymore. But the angle was about WWE's flaws more than it was about Punk saying "gimmie gimmie gimmie."
2) Part of why people got behind him was because he exposed the product - but his character has become emblematic of the problems he discussed in the first place.

Punk is, in short, the charismatic young politician who is elected to high office because voters are disgusted with the Way Things Are™. Upon being elected to office based off a campaign where he promised to change things, he is quickly taken in by the machine and becomes a part of the problem. By the time his reelection campaign comes around, he's just another aww-shucks good ol' boy. He is that which he despised.

So, yeah, wrestling's fake, and you can always tell if a wrestler is lying by seeing if their lips are moving. But liking a wrestler doesn't mean that they are above scrutiny. Get over yourself, guy. Nobody is perfect - and Punk is a great example of that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Punk is, in short, the charismatic young politician who is elected to high office because voters are disgusted with the Way Things Are™. Upon being elected to office based off a campaign where he promised to change things, he is quickly taken in by the machine and becomes a part of the problem. By the time his reelection campaign comes around, he's just another aww-shucks good ol' boy. He is that which he despised.[/QUOTE]

C.M. Obama? :lol:

I'm with SEH. Too many people got suckered in like it was real. I'm sure HHH knew that by giving a brat some interview time, especially one who thinks that everything he says is golden, that he'd re-sign. It's like when HHH was supposedly rebelling against the institution (My Time, etc.), except that he was propped up by it and went on to marry the owner's daughter.

[quote name='Halo05']Hilarious as Randy Orton actually is a Marine. Although he got a bad conduct discharge so whether or not he should still be counted is up for debate.[/QUOTE]

If it was a dishonorable discharge then he is essentially persona non grata to real Marines who don't desert. This is a big part of why I've never gotten into Orton (plus the fact that he makes vanilla seem like moose tracks).

yes, well, when you're arse-fucking the boss's daughter, it's hard to be a genuine rebel. at least if the boss is aware of all that, mind.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/3...contradictions-exposed-by-the-chicago-tribune

That's a different take on my general point: this author, instead of saying he's a "sellout" or whathaveyou, comes to the conclusion that he's a complex, pretty contradictory dude at times - and that's what is part of his appeal.

[quote name='lombarvm']Did they change the design because of the logistical problems they would have setting up the cell outdoors? Typically they have lowered the cell down from the rafters, but being in Joe Robbie (or whatever it is called now) renders that impossible.[/QUOTE]

They're still lowering it from the rig. I wonder if it just can't handle the weight of the normal cell. Which makes me wonder why they couldn't just build a stronger rig. Which makes me realize I don't know shit about anything.

Also, is it just the angle of the picture, or does the entire setup look really off-center?

I don't agree with the sellout label because he never sold out. He didn't rage against the institution and then become part of it when it meant he was getting ahead. He's been part of that institution for almost five years now. It's far different than people like Taz or Lance Storm leaving ECW while on top to pursue their careers, notwithstanding being two of the few people that actually got paid.

If CM Punk was fighting the power, he'd have thrown himself out of a battle royal because he thought no one would notice or would make an obscure comment about his opponent being the match booker.

[quote name='davo1224']I'm with SEH. Too many people got suckered in like it was real. I'm sure HHH knew that by giving a brat some interview time, especially one who thinks that everything he says is golden, that he'd re-sign. It's like when HHH was supposedly rebelling against the institution (My Time, etc.), except that he was propped up by it and went on to marry the owner's daughter.[/QUOTE]

How often smarks forget that the best storylines involve the blurring of the line between reality and fiction. I'd say Punk delivered, as did H with that storyline. Did either of their odd-man-out gimmicks change the business? No, of course not, but did they make you question just how fake/real the business was? Jackpot. Wrestlers are actors at their core, and if they can't sell the storyline with their voice/actions, how the hell do you expect them to tell a story in the ring?

I'm sick of Cena, but his personal interactions with people and always seeming to be humble are most likely why he's been shoved down our throats and why people eat the guy up. Give credit where credit is due.

[quote name='masked lemon']Is that Anna Paquin? Her teeth are all kinds of fucked...

Bitch has level 9 Tetris teeth.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I can not take this comment seriously from someone who claims to have banged Alicia Fox.

The movie that will revitalize WWE Films? The impending re-release of Hulk Hogan's monumental cinema masterpiece No Holds Barred.

I. Can't. Wait.

[quote name='xilly']How often smarks forget that the best storylines involve the blurring of the line between reality and fiction. I'd say Punk delivered, as did H with that storyline. Did either of their odd-man-out gimmicks change the business? No, of course not, but did they make you question just how fake/real the business was? Jackpot. Wrestlers are actors at their core, and if they can't sell the storyline with their voice/actions, how the hell do you expect them to tell a story in the ring?

I'm sick of Cena, but his personal interactions with people and always seeming to be humble are most likely why he's been shoved down our throats and why people eat the guy up. Give credit where credit is due.[/QUOTE]

Punk most certainly did a good job because bought everything he was doing. Triple H not so much, as he was pushed HARD as the top guy despite not being all that over until Stephanie's turn and the Foley feud.

Part 1 of an interview with former Smackdown head writer Alex Greenfield (part 2 is also in the link): http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2012/0326/551045/alex-greenfield/

Greenfield: Obviously, I'm not involved in any way and I don't have the inside track on the day-to-day creative process is these days. Time and again over the last few years -- the Nexus run, C.M. Punk dropping that nuclear bomb of a promo and the immediate few weeks after that. Those really felt like they could be some revolutionary moments and I swear to God, I could feel Vince cutting the cord and taking it in a wrong direction because he gets freaked out by the feeling of change.

[quote name='JJSP']The movie that will revitalize WWE Films? The impending re-release of Hulk Hogan's monumental cinema masterpiece No Holds Barred.

I. Can't. Wait.[/QUOTE]

Allow me to review this.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
12.gif

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]DOOOOOOOKIEEEEEEEEE![/FONT]

As if there were any doubts that Giant Bernard/Albert/A-Train is heading back to the 'E...
[quote name='@GiantBernard on Twitter']
Want to wish all my @NJPW1972 family a successful NJPW Cup. Wish I could be there but something came up.@Machinegunka get it done![/QUOTE]

Who still had doubts? It's a shame he's being painted as a weaboo upon entry, unless this is going to be some kind of Funkasaurus bait and switch (hey y'all, it's the Hip Hop Hippo! naaaaah, they'd never do something that stupid).

I still secretly wish they'd sign Karl Anderson as well and have Bad Intentions destroy the tag team division until they bring in someone hot to challenge them - The Briscoes?

[quote name='mykevermin']I still secretly wish they'd sign Karl Anderson as well and have Bad Intentions destroy the tag team division until they bring in someone hot to challenge them - The Briscoes?[/QUOTE]

Maybe in your wet dreams. We both know that would never happen.

Sorry, I don't mean to take a dump in your Cheerios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back