Robocop (remake): 2/12/14

[quote name='benjamouth']They should have given ED-209 it's own movie.[/QUOTE]
Play up the "push button warfare" narrative and then show it abused and fail horrifically when military tech is used domestically vis-à-vis domestic drone use.

Interesting idea.

They had better make Robocop look cooler in the remake or else it will become a letdown. I mean c'mon, it's been how many years already right? That's already a large gap in tech advances. hehehe..

[quote name='moon_knight']The Elite Squad movies are actually really good, so I still have some faith in this movie.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Only one is on netflix and I saw it. I think it was the second one. I.watched it solely because the guy is making the new Robocop, and it was pretty good. But.....that first Robocop, once you get past the 80s themes, is still a great movie. I mean, Keatons' Batman and RoboCop were they only really cool Superhero movies for a pretty big stretch.

I hope he still has that 5 round burst 50 cal handgun.

RoboCop 3 can only be explained if one of the writers had heavy drug use.

Oh crap....I just saw that awesome.robo.link a.few pages back. I think the Padilla lost something is translation. I this we are.looking at the Robocop version of the Doom movie.

At least Battleship movie knew it was ridiculous and had fun with it. This looks like its going to like The Eleventh Hour

I'm still hoping it's just awful advertising and turns out to be good like Dredd, but goddamn that is one forgettable trailer. It feels like Total Recall remake with big shiny visuals to mask over everything.

Lemme drop this right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtKbX_wpQk

Last edited by a moderator:
26 Minutes of hearing a bald man talk about Robocop? C'mon, I got a goddamn backlog I gotta add games to. Ain't no one got time for that.

I think it looks great and seems like it has a good tone.

If you look carefully, the OG Robosuit is in the trailer...twice!

Grantland had this to say about the trailer:

Silver: To this day Paul Verhoeven’s 1987 RoboCop is the archetype for satire and cinematic subversion. Written by Americans but directed by a Dutchman who depicted this country as he saw it through his foreign eyes, the film’s magnified and distorted view of our nation’s future was the ideal prism through which to view, and issue a warning for, the '80s culture of excess. It’s a film that unquestionably stands the test of time, but given Hollywood’s passion for vapidly remaking and/or recycling stories, I always knew that I’d see another RoboCop. And when I did, I assumed the film would be a shell of the original.Call me optimistic, but based on this trailer I think we’re going get the complete opposite of that — and possibly something more aligned with the DNA of Verhoeven’s original.

First off, the helming duties have fallen to another great foreign visualist, Jose Padilha, who, with films like Elite Squad, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within, and even the documentary Bus 174, proved that he knows how to interweave substantive material with tension and action. Then there is the enormously talented cast, with performers — Oldman, Keaton, Jackson, Baruchel, and Haley — who all have the ability to seamlessly dance between earnestness and irony (just as Ronny Cox, Kurtwood Smith, Ray Wise, and Miguel Ferrer did in the original). And given the sociopolitical climate we're living in, I'd say that the filmmakers couldn't have picked a better time to resurrect this walking metaphor.

If I had to find something to nitpick on I’d say that the digital version of Murphy landing at 1:50 looks a little too iRobot for my taste. And I’m a little weary of the scenes where it appears Murphy fights a bunch of RoboCop-like sentinels. We get a glimpse of ED-209 in this trailer; why can’t they just stick with the mano a mano? The swarm-of-robots narrative device is so overused.But strip away the über-action moments from this trailer, and it seems this RoboCop is going to have some depth to go with its carnage — man’s relationship with technology, corporate greed, messaging vs. consumption, and (wait for it) free will. And I’d buy that for a dollar.

Yoshida: In the interest of keeping this week's trailer report under 8 billion words, this looks cool.

Well you could be right, bad trailer...good final product (ex Dredd 2012).  Yeah Total Recall put me to sleep , I shouldn't have wasted my money on it.

Well you could be right, bad trailer...good final product (ex Dredd 2012). Yeah Total Recall put me to sleep , I shouldn't have wasted my money on it.
The Robocop trailer isn't that bad unless you're just looking for some brain-dead action flick, not that there's anything wrong with brain-dead action flicks.:D

But yeah, Total Recall sucked pretty bad. It was bad to begin with and became doubly bad with the Ethan Hawke twist. Even Bryan Cranston couldn't save that movie.

8jlwDI1.jpg

Anyone notice anything off about that picture?

It looks like from some of that B-Roll footage that I linked the other day had some spoilers.  I kinda figured that with Murphy's wife and son knowing who Robocop is, all it takes is for someone to hold them hostage and Murphy has to rescue them.  Looks like half his face is burnt off and his other hand his cut off.  So I am pretty sure there is going to be an end scene where he is rebuilt better than ever for the sequel. 

Early reviews are coming in putting it at a 6.5/6.0/okay :whistle2:\

The plot was spoiled on Wiki.....  *sigh*  doesn't seem as violent as it should be.  It should have been R then unrated in the BR release. 

ok, just came back from seeing it in RPX (waste of money for that)

was an ok movie....needed to be more violent :whistle2:|

The movie felt overly complicated in many parts.  There were a number of cool scenes but a lot of them were spoiled in the trailers. 

The effects of what is left of murphy really was harsh.   A hand, lungs(upper body), face and parts of his brain and that's it. 

Did not like the black suit at all.

Liked the nod to the original suit.

The music score was so so. 

The bike was "OK" , glad it didn't transform and fly :|

This movie could lead to a TV series........ sequel...hmmm maybe.

I really would have liked to have seen Weller make a cameo in this movie or even Ronnie Cox, but oh well.

It's one of those see once and wait for BR release.

I just watched this remake and I thought the movie was awesome. Much better than Robocop 2 and 3 combined. I will give this movie a 4 out of 5. This remake has more action in it but it is also less violent than the first one. I personally thought that this remake didn't need anymore violence in it than it already has. There is a scene in it that will give you the same shock value that you got in the original Robocop. Extra gore and violence is not needed here even though it was present in the original. Movie is still good without them.

However there were some details and scenes about the movie that didn't seem all fleshed out though. I felt that was because the director has to edited some details out to keep the film at a reasonable length. Hopefully with the Blu-Ray release we get the director's full cut. Also one of the iconic Robocop line just felt that it was forced in, just to get it in.

Overall I think Robocop fans will be pleased with this remake if they can handle the lesser violent content and the new black suit. I still prefer the gray suit but the black one grew onto me as I watched the movie.

The grusomeness of the original is what made it stand out as a classic.  I enjoyed RC1 and RC2, 3 not so much.  I will go into details in a few more days without the spoiler tags since it came out at number 3 this weekend...  Don't know why they needed to have it out V-day weekend but whatever.

Nothing is going to be better than the original. The original is a classic but I felt that this was a fairly great attempt at rebooting it. Acting by Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton is also excellent.

If you go into this movie thinking that this will dethrone the original you will be sorely disappointed. I went in knowing this and probably enjoyed it more because of it.

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was AWESOME and a remake done right. The satire was pretty good and there are lots of subtle things I've noticed here and there, especially in the news ticker. Definitely going to get the BR. Hopefully it'll have tons of extras.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. I actually really enjoyed this movie. I'm super tired of the whole military drone thing and politics but it surprisingly didn't bother me in this movie. My friend and I checked out a screening of this like the week before it came out and it's definitely on m list of top movies for 2014 so far. I say so far because this summer's offerings are going to obviously blow it out of the water. But still.

Not going to lie, but I thought that they were going to put the Auto-9 in the movie since it was on a bunch of posters. That would've been cool. So disappointed.

They have to make another...  for the sequel... I just wonder where do they go with it?  What kind of predicaments will robocop face?    

My only issue with the movie isn't with the movie but with the previews... the previews almost ruined the movie by showing how alex murphy is injured.  

They have to make another... for the sequel... I just wonder where do they go with it? What kind of predicaments will robocop face?

My only issue with the movie isn't with the movie but with the previews... the previews almost ruined the movie by showing how alex murphy is injured.
The trailer shows him getting blown up by the car bomb....the movie shows that AND what remains of him after they make him Robocop. Honestly the original had a more gruesome death, here they substitute that for CG body parts. They couldn't save the entire arm? Just the hand?

Saw it on Sunday, I thought it was decent.

Different enough from the original to not have me constantly comparing the two, plus Keaton and Gary Oldman were great.

Hey I just wanted more blood and guys.......was that too much to ask for or does it have to be an October movie to get that?

I'm surprised they actually had muslim terrorists in this. Shitty PC hollywood usually goes with the russians as our enemies

bread's done
Back