Rock Band [DEMO UNIT] @ Walmart! YMMV - Branford, CT.

[quote name='tw4win']I wouldn't discount it but it does seem odd that they would send the game out 21 days before release unless they are planning an early release or they are planning something HUGE for Black Friday.[/quote]

The only thing I can think is that they are ground shipping because of the size/weight of the product, rather than the overnight/2nd day air drop shipments of a typical release.

So perhaps Walmart is getting their games early and selling them. I don't believe there is a hard street date (only a "in stores by" date), so it's possible.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']The only thing I can think is that they are ground shipping because of the size/weight of the product, rather than the overnight/2nd day air drop shipments of a typical release.

So perhaps Walmart is getting their games early and selling them. I don't believe there is a hard street date (only a "in stores by" date), so it's possible.[/quote]

Gamestop lists is as "guaranteed available" on 11/20, two days before Thanksgiving so it's going to be around then and it's going to be HUGE on Black Friday. Given that Wal Mart does an incredible amount of business on Black Friday and they have a ton of extra product that day they might have had them shipped early. I'm sure if a company like Wal Mart asks for early shipping they get it...

You do bring up a good point, it is a f'ing huge box so they might have shipped it ground.

I really wouldn't put it past Wal Marts to sell it early, especially if they have it sitting in the stockroom for awhile. I think your best bet is probably to go to your local store and ask. That's how I got GH3 3 days early from Best Buy. I saw an unpacked box on the floor and asked a clerk if she was going to open it. She opened it for me and handed me one, all the while looking at the sticker that said "Do not sell before 10/28."

I called 20 Wal-Marts in 4 cities in and around Houston and no go (6 were not even supercenters). I also visited 4 seperate wal-marts today just to make sure they were looking, and I found nothing. The doors were open to the back in one wal-mart and i gave myself a little walk around till i was asked what i was doing there. Well, anyway, I will check again tomorrow! :D

[quote name='tw4win']Gamestop lists is as "guaranteed available" on 11/20, two days before Thanksgiving so it's going to be around then[/QUOTE]

I don't want to blow my first post with a stupid comment that you already know but...the official street date of the game is Tuesday 11/20, so it should be no surprise that it will be around then. They moved the black Friday release date back to a normal Tuesday release.

[quote name='jersoc']Because I work there, I know it's a demo unit.

I mean we only got 1 in. that doesn't strike anyone else as odd? why would they only get ONE copy of a game? We usually get pallets of major releases.[/QUOTE]Maybe they only got one BECAUSE IT'S fuckING HUGE? EA said themselves they wouldn't sell individual instruments right now because of space problems. Just because you're Mr. Billy Badass working at Wal-Mart, doesn't mean you know everything. People have said there's been price stickers, and since when do manufacturers send out demo units in plain retail boxes, without a TV or system?

[quote name='TimPV3']Maybe they only got one BECAUSE IT'S fuckING HUGE? EA said themselves they wouldn't sell individual instruments right now because of space problems. Just because you're Mr. Billy Badass working at Wal-Mart, doesn't mean you know everything. People have said there's been price stickers, and since when do manufacturers send out demo units in plain retail boxes, without a TV or system?[/quote]

If I walked into a Wal Mart tomorrow and saw a copy of Rock Band on the floor it would be going home with me, regardless of it's availability for sale. If someone at a store is dumb enough to put something out where customers can see it then they better be ready to sell it...

[quote name='TimPV3']People have said there's been price stickers, and since when do manufacturers send out demo units in plain retail boxes, without a TV or system?[/QUOTE]

Many people who work at Best Buy reported on the rockband.com forums that the BB demos have been arriving in the Special Edition boxes, even though they are not the exact retail games.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I don't understand why people call the OP a liar...he's been here since 2004. Why would he suddenly decide to post this random-ass rumor?[/quote]

Indeed.

Could have seen it, and I'm not calling him a liar...but I bet it was the demo. Either that or maybe Wal-Mart got them in stock and hasnt put them in the back yet. I used to work at Wal-Mart and I know that associates just take a pallet out onto the floor. It could have been on a pallet and they didnt read the Sale Date sticker on it. But if it was on display with a price and everything............that is very unlikely.

[quote name='TimPV3']Maybe they only got one BECAUSE IT'S fuckING HUGE? EA said themselves they wouldn't sell individual instruments right now because of space problems. Just because you're Mr. Billy Badass working at Wal-Mart, doesn't mean you know everything. People have said there's been price stickers, and since when do manufacturers send out demo units in plain retail boxes, without a TV or system?[/quote]
stop now, before you hurt yourself:dunce:

besides, I doubt the demo unit came with its own TV, they usually pop the game in the already hooked up xbox display and use that. Ive never seen a game have its own display at walmart, or even best buy (eb may be different, but I hate that store with a passion).

I've gotta agree with those who have pointed out that they can't see a demo unit fitting in their local Wal-Mart. Every Wal-Mart I've ever visited has the most cramped videogame isles imaginable. I could not possibly imagine any store in San Diego squeezing in a demo unit without removing half of a row's shelves.

Also, don't be discouraged, OP. For each troll, there were 20 others (myself included) calling up or visiting Wal-Mart for a chance at this. Thanks for the heads up!

Rock Band has no street date. The date most stores will receive it is November 20th, the 'in stores by' date is November 23rd.

I worked at GameStop for 10 years, VERY few games have street dates. Guitar Hero III had a street date, Halo 3 had a street date, Rock Band does NOT have a street date. If a store wants to sell it early (if it's out there) than they can. Most all stores list November 20th as the "release" the Rock Band press release says "in stores by November 23rd".

Still...I'm a little surprised that original pic is of the PS3 version when all the demo versions appear to be 360. Perhaps we will see an early release. As my last post said, I suspect most stores are receiving this game in their regular distros and therefore some may sell it early, but depending on location to distribution hub, some stores might get this earlier than others.

[quote name='TimPV3']Maybe they only got one BECAUSE IT'S fuckING HUGE? EA said themselves they wouldn't sell individual instruments right now because of space problems. Just because you're Mr. Billy Badass working at Wal-Mart, doesn't mean you know everything. People have said there's been price stickers, and since when do manufacturers send out demo units in plain retail boxes, without a TV or system?[/QUOTE]

Actually I do what's going on there since I know someone who works in electronics and he said a sony rep is coming to set it up with a ps3. ITS A FREAKIN DEMO YOU TARD. where is your proof otherwise. I know. You're so fucking stupid. It's one god damn box every WM got. ONE BOX. that's not a launch you stupid fuck stick. I think perhaps you go flaming someone without facts you better be ready to take the heat. Why the bloody fuck would a game developer send a TV to EVERY RETAILER. No one does that, that makes ZERO sense. Those places have systems, generally and almost ALWAYS have TV's setup already. Wtf do you shop? God damn you're so fucking stupid, I hope you drink bleach and do the world a favor and fucking die.

EDIT:

Actually, forget it, the person above me is an idiot. I'm not going to try and argue points here when retards like him make everyone look bad.

[quote name='jersoc']Actually I do what's going on there since I know someone who works in electronics and he said a sony rep is coming to set it up with a ps3. ITS A FREAKIN DEMO YOU TARD. where is your proof otherwise. I know. You're so fucking stupid. It's one god damn box every WM got. ONE BOX. that's not a launch you stupid fuck stick. I think perhaps you go flaming someone without facts you better be ready to take the heat. Why the bloody fuck would a game developer send a TV to EVERY RETAILER. No one does that, that makes ZERO sense. Those places have systems, generally and almost ALWAYS have TV's setup already. Wtf do you shop? God damn you're so fucking stupid, I hope you drink bleach and do the world a favor and fucking die.[/QUOTE]

So the guy is misinformed and you hope he "drinks bleach and dies"?

God even Veterans here are embarrassing.

EDIT 2: You know, you're arguing on the internet in the middle of the night about the release date of a game with fake instruments. Jesus you people need to get things into perspective here, you all (all meaning people that are acting like jersoc the nerd god) should be really ashamed, really REALLY ashamed.

[quote name='jersoc']Actually I do what's going on there since I know someone who works in electronics and he said a sony rep is coming to set it up with a ps3. ITS A FREAKIN DEMO YOU TARD. where is your proof otherwise. I know. You're so fucking stupid. It's one god damn box every WM got. ONE BOX. that's not a launch you stupid fuck stick. I think perhaps you go flaming someone without facts you better be ready to take the heat. Why the bloody fuck would a game developer send a TV to EVERY RETAILER. No one does that, that makes ZERO sense. Those places have systems, generally and almost ALWAYS have TV's setup already. Wtf do you shop? God damn you're so fucking stupid, I hope you drink bleach and do the world a favor and fucking die.[/quote]

Chill man. It's just a game.

[quote name='Scorch']Age doesn't equal knowledge[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but man, you'd figure after so many years here they'd learn SOMETHING.

Am I missing something here?...why is a guy (OP) being blasted on when he's been here for 3+ years? I know it's hard to believe, but it's not like the guy's posting referral links or spam or some shit. He specifically stated where it's at if anyone's interested. What benefit would he have for trying to trick any one of the 14 year old 'ur a liar!!' fags? Seriously, what's the benefit. What? Is his e-penis huugggggeeee because of this?

You want people to hunt out deals for you, then you shove a pile of shit in their face when they try to contribute to the site. I feel like I'm on friggin GameFAQs...

[quote name='AlphakirA']Am I missing something here?...why is a guy (OP) being blasted on when he's been here for 3+ years? I know it's hard to believe, but it's not like the guy's posting referral links or spam or some shit. He specifically stated where it's at if anyone's interested. What benefit would he have for trying to trick any one of the 14 year old 'ur a liar!!' fags? Seriously, what's the benefit. What? Is his e-penis huugggggeeee because of this?

You want people to hunt out deals for you, then you shove a pile of shit in their face when they try to contribute to the site. I feel like I'm on friggin GameFAQs...[/QUOTE]

Someone already stated pretty much what you posted on page 3.

Thanks for the heads up OP, but I'm gonna wait it out with all the TRU coupons so I can save a few bucks. As much enjoyment as I had from the drums, GH3 is going to occupy me more then enough...

[quote name='bardockkun']Thanks for the heads up OP, but I'm gonna wait it out with all the TRU coupons so I can save a few bucks. As much enjoyment as I had from the drums, GH3 is going to occupy me more then enough...[/QUOTE]

Man, I've spent so much time at Best Buy playing the demo kiosk I can already kick ass on Expert with the drums. I can't wait for this game!

[quote name='Cmosfm']Man, I've spent so much time at Best Buy playing the demo kiosk I can already kick ass on Expert with the drums. I can't wait for this game![/QUOTE]

Wait until you have to play it with the bass pedal...

I wasted 45 minutes driving to walmarts....only to remember that all of the ones around here are not open 24 hours

[quote name='Dingleberry']I wasted 45 minutes driving to walmarts....only to remember that all of the ones around here are not open 24 hours[/QUOTE]

lol. Man that realllllly sucks. Seriously.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Man, I've spent so much time at Best Buy playing the demo kiosk I can already kick ass on Expert with the drums. I can't wait for this game![/quote]
Man, I struggled with The Clash on medium...

Then again I only played, I think, 3 songs total with the drums. But definetly fun and kinda want to buy another pair of drums to do drum battles with friends.

I can confirm that the OP is correct, it's NOT a demo, and that the Walmart near the Oakland Airport in CA has 1 PS3 bundle left. I'd have bought it, except that I don't have a PS3, and excited as I am for the game, I'm not spending an extra $400 just to play it a couple weeks early.

That said, I talked to the clerk, and she said they'd gotten multiple copies (so the jackass who swore up and down it's a demo is wrong), and they'd only had PS3 versions.

So, *yes*, Walmart has Rock Band in stock in some locations.

You know what, I'm bored and going to pull an all nighter tonight with some hours to spare, so I'm heading out to my Walmart tonight. I'll report back in a bit.

[quote name='helava']I can confirm that the OP is correct, it's NOT a demo, and that the Walmart near the Oakland Airport in CA has 1 PS3 bundle left. I'd have bought it, except that I don't have a PS3, and excited as I am for the game, I'm not spending an extra $400 just to play it a couple weeks early.

That said, I talked to the clerk, and she said they'd gotten multiple copies (so the jackass who swore up and down it's a demo is wrong), and they'd only had PS3 versions.

So, *yes*, Walmart has Rock Band in stock in some locations.[/quote]

I also saw two left at my local walmart in porter ranch, ca. I just got guitar hero 3, so I guess Rock Band have to wait. Between Guitar Hero 3, Call of Duty 4, Mario Galaxy, Assasin Creed, Mass Effect, I can wait.

[quote name='drfunk85']You know what, I'm bored and going to pull an all nighter tonight with some hours to spare, so I'm heading out to my Walmart tonight. I'll report back in a bit.[/quote]

No bundles at my location in Urbana, IL. I would check the Champaign location but I'm lazy.

They did however have a Wii which was just the second time since launch I've seen one.

If you go to walmart.com you can put this code into the URL bar to try to search for in store availability. I couldn't find any in stock though so I'm not sure if it shows up in their system yet.

Code:
javascript:openSlapOverlay(7789034);

[quote name='atatpilot3']I've gotta agree with those who have pointed out that they can't see a demo unit fitting in their local Wal-Mart. Every Wal-Mart I've ever visited has the most cramped videogame isles imaginable. I could not possibly imagine any store in San Diego squeezing in a demo unit without removing half of a row's shelves.

Also, don't be discouraged, OP. For each troll, there were 20 others (myself included) calling up or visiting Wal-Mart for a chance at this. Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

YES!

I checked a few Wal-Marts in SD today, if you find any let me know. I'll let you konw as well if I find any throughout the weekend.

[quote name='jersoc']Actually I do what's going on there since I know someone who works in electronics and he said a sony rep is coming to set it up with a ps3. ITS A FREAKIN DEMO YOU TARD. where is your proof otherwise. I know. You're so fucking stupid. It's one god damn box every WM got. ONE BOX. that's not a launch you stupid fuck stick. I think perhaps you go flaming someone without facts you better be ready to take the heat. Why the bloody fuck would a game developer send a TV to EVERY RETAILER. No one does that, that makes ZERO sense. Those places have systems, generally and almost ALWAYS have TV's setup already. Wtf do you shop? God damn you're so fucking stupid, I hope you drink bleach and do the world a favor and fucking die.[/quote]

Wow...

I've never seen so many of those fun little fuck images in one post before. Sounds like someone has some anger management issues.

[quote name='tw4win']If I walked into a Wal Mart tomorrow and saw a copy of Rock Band on the floor it would be going home with me, regardless of it's availability for sale. If someone at a store is dumb enough to put something out where customers can see it then they better be ready to sell it...[/QUOTE]

Anything on the floor that you spot you should be able to buy, and thats why corporate is getting on everyone for not bringing all items from directs to the floor as soon as they receive the items. You would figure everyone would follow the rules but obviously not.

Anyways, why would the OP buy the *PS3 version* obviously this is real, and if It's not the full unit he has a nice retail demo unit to sell on eBay and make his money back ten fold.

Is the game even gold yet? I don't remember hearing news that the game was even fully ready. Why would Wal-Mart get a Rock Band demo for both X-Box 360 and PS3? Anyway, I'm going to hunt for it later tonight at a few Wal-Marts in the Dayton, OH area.

If this is real then maybe I can use some of that good luck from the Bioshock pre-release. I've always had good luck buying clearence items from Wal-Mart because they delete a lot of it from the system, and if the price tag is missing you are sometimes able to name your price (depending on the clerk). I'm just stating that because if they are on the floor and not in the system then they might realize the mistake, then again Wal-Mart employees probably have no clue what is going on.

All this mixed information just has me excited, I want to believe this so badly!

[quote name='uglyteradon']Is the game even gold yet? [/QUOTE]

Yes. Both Kotaku and Wired have received final games and have posted pics of unboxing.

[quote name='admanimal']Yes. Both Kotaku and Wired have received final games and have posted pics of unboxing.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why Kotaku had a copy.

I live 10 minutes away. If it is still out I will get a ps3 version if someone wants it. I am not in school because I had surgery two days ago. I would like maybe $20 for my trouble and shipping money?

[quote name='AlphakirA']fags[/QUOTE]

While I appreciate your sentiment, that was pretty classless of you to say.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I live 10 minutes away. If it is still out I will get a ps3 version if someone wants it. I am not in school because I had surgery two days ago. I would like maybe $20 for my trouble and shipping money?[/QUOTE]

Dunno how heavy the box is, but given the size of it, you'll walk away with maybe 2 bucks after shipping. And I'm skeptical of that, even. Thanks for the offer, though.

I was just told by a Wal-Mart employee at Huber Heights that a PS3 version has arrived and they are unsure of what they are supposed to do with it. Apparently some stores are setting it up in Lawn and Garden for this holiday as a promotion for all the next-gen systems. She seemed to be pretty knowledgable for an employee and knew what the game was when I called.

From her description it sounded like the exact box posted on Ebay, and it was the PS3 version and not the 360. So my guess is I'm not going to have a lot of luck in Ohio but I just thought I'd keep everyone posted. Sorry for the sparatic rambling; the other stores I called don't have any news.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Dunno how heavy the box is, but given the size of it, you'll walk away with maybe 2 bucks after shipping. And I'm skeptical of that, even. Thanks for the offer, though.[/QUOTE]

Well I really dont care if I get any money. Just want to help some cags out.

I'm surprised Walmarts are even getting demo units. Can you imagine the condition of the drums after a few weeks of ADHD riddled 8 year olds going to town on them? And who the fuck knows where that mic will end up. I'm not putting it near my mouth.

[quote name='porieux']If you go to walmart.com you can put this code into the URL bar to try to search for in store availability. I couldn't find any in stock though so I'm not sure if it shows up in their system yet.

Code:
javascript:openSlapOverlay(7789034);
[/QUOTE]
I used that trick and put in the zip code for Branford, CT (as in the OP's subject line), and he's right. It would appear that they at least have it in the system at that store, they "carry the product". All other stores, it doesnt' show up as being carried at all.
I copied the search results below.

By the way, to check yours...
1. Go to walmart.com
2. Search for item 7789035 (PS3 version) or 7789034 (xbx360 verson).
3. While on the product page, paste the code from the above quote into your URL bar, replacing the number with the version number of your choice. Don't forget the semicolon. Press enter.
4. A javascript box should pop up allowing you to put in your zip code.
5. Bingo!

Search Results
We found 1 stores within 100 miles of 06405. Only stores that carry this product are shown below. (In-stock status is approximate and was last updated on 11/01/2007 at 4:44 AM, E.T.)
Start a New Search
Sort by:
Store
Availability
Distance

Branford
Wal-Mart# 2232
120 Commercial Parkway
Branford, CT 06405
(203) 488-4106
1.33 miles
View Map & Details
Out of Stock

(In-stock status is approximate and was last updated on 11/01/2007 at 4:44 AM, E.T.)
Please note: In our effort to be the lowest price provider in your particular geographic region, store pricing will sometimes differ from online prices. See our pricing policy for details.
By the way, I'd like to send a big fuck you to all the haters who doubted the OP.

[quote name='Mars10']I called 20 Wal-Marts in 4 cities in and around Houston and no go (6 were not even supercenters). I also visited 4 seperate wal-marts today just to make sure they were looking, and I found nothing. The doors were open to the back in one wal-mart and i gave myself a little walk around till i was asked what i was doing there. Well, anyway, I will check again tomorrow! :D[/QUOTE]

Dang dude. That's pretty hardcore. Thanks for that info. I'm also in the Houston area. I tried the walmart.com product search and turned up nothing for 100 miles within 2 different zip codes for both versions. :(

[quote name='techstar25']I used that trick and put in the zip code for Branford, CT (as in the OP's subject line), and he's right. It would appear that they at least have it in the system at that store, they "carry the product". All other stores, it doesnt' show up at all.
I copied the search results below.

By the way, to check yours...
1. Go to walmart.com
2. Search for item 7789035 (PS3 version) or 7789034 (xbx360 verson).
3. While on the product page, paste the code from the above quote into your URL bar, replacing the number with the version number of your choice. Don't forget the semicolon. Press enter.
4. A javascript box should pop up allowing you to put in your zip code.
5. Bingo!

By the way, I'd like to send a big fuck you to all the haters who doubted the OP.[/quote]

It's not working for me.

bread's done
Back