Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

I picked up Lego Rock Band for $17 but I just found out it is $10 to import the songs!!! That seems way high - it should be free but $5 which is what RB1 cost is OK I guess. $10 seems like way too much especially since there are about 1/2 the amount of songs a typical RB game has - so is it worth it???

let's see, how much would it cost to download 40 individual songs. $2 a song times 40 songs is $80. You are paying a total of $27. Is it worth it?

[quote name='javeryh']I picked up Lego Rock Band for $17 but I just found out it is $10 to import the songs!!! That seems way high - it should be free but $5 which is what RB1 cost is OK I guess. $10 seems like way too much especially since there are about 1/2 the amount of songs a typical RB game has - so is it worth it???[/QUOTE]The $10 basically turns it into a Track Pack disc, so that's the best thing to compare it to. Track packs generally release at $30 for 20 songs, or $1.50 per song. You're getting 45 songs for $27, so it comes out to $0.60 per song. You win!

[quote name='javeryh']I picked up Lego Rock Band for $17 but I just found out it is $10 to import the songs!!! That seems way high - it should be free but $5 which is what RB1 cost is OK I guess. $10 seems like way too much especially since there are about 1/2 the amount of songs a typical RB game has - so is it worth it???[/QUOTE]

Surely you don't care for all the songs, so it comes down to how badly you want the ones you do care about. I got my copy of Lego Rock Band for free from Old Navy, so for me, plunking down $10 to get 10 songs I really wanted was perfectly acceptable.

If your total cost will end up being $27 for Lego Rock Band, and DLC typically costs $2 per song, you can probably start off with the expectation of seeing at least 14 songs you really want to export in order to make this a worthwhile purchase. From there, you can judge the value of each song and weigh the cost accordingly.

[quote name='rapsodist']Surely you don't care for all the songs, so it comes down to how badly you want the ones you do care about. I got my copy of Lego Rock Band for free from Old Navy, so for me, plunking down $10 to get 10 songs I really wanted was perfectly acceptable.

If your total cost will end up being $27 for Lego Rock Band, and DLC typically costs $2 per song, you can probably start off with the expectation of seeing at least 14 songs you really want to export in order to make this a worthwhile purchase. From there, you can judge the value of each song and weigh the cost accordingly.[/QUOTE]

This is the best way of looking at it, I think. I'm hoping there are 15+ songs on there I'll like...

I'd be quite pleased if the Network gets Clutch, as has been announced. And I may finally be getting my wish for Creed ("Higher" has been announced).

Kind of depressing that there's not even one song out of that huge list I'd buy, but I know there's a fuckton of content coming beyond that, so no big deal.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Kind of depressing that there's not even one song out of that huge list I'd buy, but I know there's a fuckton of content coming beyond that, so no big deal.[/QUOTE]Yeah same here pretty much - as far as that list goes I'm in for KMDFM and not much else, but there's plenty of songs in the testing phase that I'm excited about. I suppose it's amazing news for fans of The Main Drag though!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Kind of depressing that there's not even one song out of that huge list I'd buy, but I know there's a fuckton of content coming beyond that, so no big deal.[/QUOTE]

Just think of all the money (points) you'll be saving.:D

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah same here pretty much - as far as that list goes I'm in for KMDFM and not much else, but there's plenty of songs in the testing phase that I'm excited about. I suppose it's amazing news for fans of The Main Drag though![/QUOTE]
My Favorite Dinosaur by The Main Drag has the Jurassic Park theme as the chorus. That alone makes me know it gets my money.

[quote name='bardockkun']My Favorite Dinosaur by The Main Drag has the Jurassic Park theme as the chorus. That alone makes me know it gets my money.[/QUOTE]Hahahah I'll definitely have to give that one a listen. Also, I wouldn't know it by name but there was some really cool jazz song I saw a RBN testing video for. Stuff like that wouldn't have names I'd recognize or the "party appeal" that I usually go for, but I'll be checking YouTubes and stuff and buying a couple for sure.

EDIT: lol, I did a quick search and it turns out that the jazz track in question was the exact song that porieux was talking about two posts ago

[quote name='javeryh']I picked up Lego Rock Band for $17 but I just found out it is $10 to import the songs!!! That seems way high - it should be free but $5 which is what RB1 cost is OK I guess. $10 seems like way too much especially since there are about 1/2 the amount of songs a typical RB game has - so is it worth it???[/QUOTE]

Also the game was $10 cheaper to offset that cost to begin with. It had a $50 SRP on release day.

ummm hey so apparently RBN just went live???

As far as I can tell there's no way to buy the songs on Xbox.com yet. Looks like you can only purchase songs through the game right now. Bad time to be stuck at work!!

[quote name='BustaUppa']ummm hey so apparently RBN just went live???

As far as I can tell there's no way to buy the songs on Xbox.com yet. Looks like you can only purchase songs through the game right now. Bad time to be stuck at work!![/QUOTE]

:hot:

rockbandnetworklive580.jpg

80pts for Flogging Molly!

So for the people that were testing RBN, where all the songs free at that time. Just wondering if they were MS Points or not so we can get an idea if the prices stayed them same.

[quote name='KaneRobot'][size=+2]FLOODGATES = OPENED[/size]

This may save, or at least prolong, the life of the rhythm game genre.[/QUOTE]

If retailers still sold the actual game in question I would agree with you but all RBN does now is cater to their existing customers. HMX can't draw in new customers without a product on the shelves. Screw the Green Day noise, where's RB3?

[quote name='Corvin']If retailers still sold the actual game in question I would agree with you but all RBN does now is cater to their existing customers. HMX can't draw in new customers without a product on the shelves. Screw the Green Day noise, where's RB3?[/QUOTE]

...Rock Band 2 is still widely available at retailers. And Rock Band Network is a huge source of additional content for it.

[quote name='Corvin']If retailers still sold the actual game in question I would agree with you but all RBN does now is cater to their existing customers. HMX can't draw in new customers without a product on the shelves. Screw the Green Day noise, where's RB3?[/QUOTE]

Yea this whole RBN flew under the radar for me. I didn't realize it was being released this soon. I'll have to check it out, but more DLC options aren't going to get me to throw this game back in on a regular basis. The only band that I was interested from that list was Flogging Molly.

I really agree that RB3 needs to come sooner rather than later. The platform needs updated to integrate some of the improvements made by other games, (harmonies, support for non standard bands, ability to play on live with a guest account on your console, etc). There needs to be a new set of achievements, new world tour, new challenges & avatar awards.

Weekly DLC was cool 2 years ago, but it is time to give us something more.

Holy shit, RBN is out?

Looking through the song list, where is the Drowning Pool and BTBAM mentioned earlier?

Definitely getting the Suicide Silence track though

[quote name='Owen']So for the people that were testing RBN, where all the songs free at that time. Just wondering if they were MS Points or not so we can get an idea if the prices stayed them same.[/QUOTE]
Free. What kinda testing would it be if we had to pay to play incomplete songs?

[quote name='lolwut?']Holy shit, RBN is out?

Looking through the song list, where is the Drowning Pool and BTBAM mentioned earlier?

Definitely getting the Suicide Silence track though[/QUOTE]

More BtBaM fuck yes, just don't edit the song like last time.

Haven't tried it yet, but the Rock Band Network lets you download demos of songs. Sounds like a great idea.

EDIT: from Wikipedia: "...either one minute or 35% of the track's total length, whichever is shorter, can be played in Quickplay mode, with the user given the option to immediately purchase the song after playing it."

[quote name='porieux']Haven't tried it yet, but the Rock Band Network lets you download demos of songs. Sounds like a great idea.

EDIT: from Wikipedia: "...either one minute or 35% of the track's total length, whichever is shorter, can be played in Quickplay mode, with the user given the option to immediately purchase the song after playing it."[/QUOTE]

This might get me back into Rock Band.

OMFG!!!!! Ron Wasserman AKA The guy who did theme song for Power Rangers and other songs for that show is on RBN! This is stupid corny awesome!

[quote name='Logg']More BtBaM fuck yes, just don't edit the song like last time.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what you mean by "edit" but explicits on Lady in a Blue Dress were omitted if that gives you any indication.

Thoughts so far on the three songs I played...
I ended up getting Senses Fail "Lady in a Blue Dress", Flogging Molly "Drunken Lullabyes (Live), and Bang Camero "Push Push (Lady Lightning)".
1) I felt some overcharting and off notes from song.
2) Stars don't have any indication on the toughness on the songs.
3) Outside of Bang Camero, I thought the other two songs sound was muted.

I guess from this point forward I might be purchasing based on author vs my love for a song.

And yes, you can download a demo version of the song. Didn't try it though but saw the option.

[quote name='lordopus99']Don't know what you mean by "edit" but explicits on Lady in a Blue Dress were omitted if that gives you any indication[/QUOTE]

He's talking about how they cut off 3:20 of the song "Prequel to the Sequel"

[quote name='lolwut?']He's talking about how they cut off 3:20 of the song "Prequel to the Sequel"[/QUOTE]

I consider that 3:20 to be the best part of the song.

hey gang,

here's your dlc for the week of 3/9/2010! There's an all-star three pack from the white stripes, the return of shaimus to rhythm gaming, some canadian hockey love and more! Enjoy!

Available on xbox 360 and wii (march 9) and playstation 3 system (march 11):

the futureheads – “decent days & nights” +
the futureheads – “hounds of love” +
the james gang – “walk away” +
neil peart – “the hockey theme” + *
shaimus – “all of this” + *
shaimus – “tie you down” + *
the white stripes – “fell in love with a girl” +
the white stripes – “seven nation army”
the white stripes – “you don’t know what love is (you just do as you’re told)” +

[quote name='bardockkun']OMFG!!!!! Ron Wasserman AKA The guy who did theme song for Power Rangers and other songs for that show is on RBN! This is stupid corny awesome![/QUOTE]

I was very 'meh' at the list, until I saw his name. Fight Back is a fucking awesome song that he wrote years after he worked on Power Rangers, but in the same style. Totally sold.

And these are your RBN songs for today:

Bleeder - Alchemilla
Cali Girl - Ballyhoo!
Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro
White Heat - Cetan Clawson and the Soul Side
Stegosaurus Song - Eric Harm
Code Monkey - Jonathan Coulton
Gave It Up - Pollyn
Makeup/Breakup (Original Version) - Super Gravity
Packet Flier - Terrorhorse
Genius - The B.O.L.T.
Minnesota - Voodoo Pharmacology

They release like 120 songs between now and Tuesday and I'm not interested in one. Sheesh. Glad to see RBN is already rolling with updates though.

Irresponsible random speculation:

EA's "Project 10 Dollar" plan for Rock Band 3 will be new owners will get the Hendrix content mentioned a few pages back, while used owners will have to pay 15 bucks for it.

I came out of the woodwork for Panic Switch, and stumbed into the RBN and was pleasantly surprised to find Drug Against War on there. DL'd Juke Joint Jezebel but don't think it lends itself to this game.

Is LRB worth picking up? The export price seems kinda high.

Bleeder - Alchemilla
Cali Girl - Ballyhoo!
Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro
White Heat - Cetan Clawson and the Soul Side
Stegosaurus Song - Eric Harm
Code Monkey - Jonathan Coulton
Gave It Up - Pollyn
Makeup/Breakup (Original Version) - Super Gravity
Packet Flier - Terrorhorse
Genius - The B.O.L.T.
Minnesota - Voodoo Pharmacology

Wow, if it weren't for Coulton and Bang Camero I wouldn't know which column was the band name and which column was the song title.

I just went and previewed everything on RBN and picked up two songs for a buck a pop. How often are songs gong to be released for RBN? Sorry if its already been posted I couldn't find the info.

[quote name='KingDox']I just went and previewed everything on RBN and picked up two songs for a buck a pop. How often are songs gong to be released for RBN? Sorry if its already been posted I couldn't find the info.[/QUOTE]
About once a day it'll update. So it's possible to get new songs each day.

This ~10 songs a day thing is going to kill my wallet eventually, even if there hasn't been anything for me so far.

[quote name='2DMention']Is LRB worth picking up? The export price seems kinda high.[/QUOTE]
The "value" of LRB was discussed on page 129 & 130, check there.

bread's done
Back