Rocket Knight on Steam for $14.99

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19030/

You can preorder the new Rocket Knight remake on Steam for $11.99 instead of $14.99, the regular price. The game debuts Wednesday, May 12 on Steam and XBLA, and May 18 on PSN. It will be $15 on Xbox Live Arcade and PSN when it launches too, so this is closer to the $10 price everyone wishes it had been.

On the plus side, it supports Steam Cloud, Steam Achievements, Steam Leaderboards, and the Xbox 360 controller! It sounds pretty good to me.

rocket-knight-returns.jpg

[youtube]SxOBcXCieM4[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Turning old games into modernized "2.5D" experiences has worked surprisingly well for the titles many of us grew up with. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a good example.

This game looks very promising. I'm tempted to grab it at this price.

There might be a demo on Wednesday when the game comes out; there will be an XBLA demo for sure.

StriderSeven - it's not out yet. The store page doesn't have the correct date.

The Steam version has Achievements too. Four more than the XBLA version (16 on Steam), in fact! I might get both, depending on how much I like the game.

[quote name='eastx']The Steam version has Achievements too. Four more than the XBLA version (16 on Steam), in fact! I might get both, depending on how much I like the game.[/QUOTE]

same here. thinking about getting both.

I want to buy this game, but already have a few other things in queue to be played, so saving $3 to put it in my backlog isn't that big of a deal. If, though, it drops to $7.50 or even $5 for some crazy Steam midweek/weekend deal...then we'll talk. :D

Am I the only one who thinks the new 3D look looks kind of ugly compared to the original?

I do definitely want this since I'm sure it will be fun, I'm just not a fan of the look

I used to adore the original on the Genesis. However, it's just bad timing right now as I'm going to be hopelessly addicted to Skate 3 starting tomorrow. I'll eventually grab this though.

Not interested, but a nod and a wink to the trailer including the pun "blast possuming" (a take on Sega's Blast Processing, google it if you don't know).

There will be a demo at launch, but not before, unfortunately. I can't really commit to a preorder, without trying it. To be honest, I think it kind of looks like shit, judging from the trailers. The gameplay just looks wonky, compared to the original. That, and the art direction is atrocious; the visuals are so bland, color-wise, that it actually looks like it's hard to read what is going on.

[quote name='eastx']Probably reviewers who got their copies early.[/QUOTE]
Developers, actually. There have been achievements stats for this game on Steam for months, and reviewers wouldn't have gotten their copies THAT early.

[quote name='whoknows']Am I the only one who thinks the new 3D look looks kind of ugly compared to the original?

I do definitely want this since I'm sure it will be fun, I'm just not a fan of the look[/QUOTE]

Yep. Hopefully the vid doesn't do the demo justice. Everything is a blurry lifeless mess.

[quote name='aznguyen316']^ it is actually a sale.. pre-sale 20% off[/QUOTE]

I'll wait for a $9.99 or less sale. I'm in no rush to play this and I'm sure it will be the same price or less down the road.

[quote name='whoknows']Am I the only one who thinks the new 3D look looks kind of ugly compared to the original?

I do definitely want this since I'm sure it will be fun, I'm just not a fan of the look[/QUOTE]

Nope, I think it's uglier too.

Dang, I'd buy it for that price if it weren't Steam. (Heck, I'd probably pay $30 if it weren't Steam.) Oh well.

Then spend $220 and get an Xbox 360 and a Marketplace card. Problem solved!

(Yes, I think WolfPup should post less.)

I remember playing this game as a kid on Genesis and loving it. I will wait for the $4.99 sale that will eventually occur. I cant justify paying full price on any downloadable game when they all seem to go on sale eventually.

[quote name='eastx']Then spend $220 and get an Xbox 360 and a Marketplace card. Problem solved!

(Yes, I think WolfPup should post less.)[/QUOTE]

I already have an Xbox, and that doesn't at all solve the problem :roll:

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Turning old games into modernized "2.5D" experiences has worked surprisingly well for the titles many of us grew up with. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a good example.

This game looks very promising. I'm tempted to grab it at this price.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for a 3-4 player version of a new Streets of Rage. That
would be sweet.

I would have been more swayed by this game if people actually bothered to review it; With two days before its release, I haven't been able to find a single score pertaining to the game's quality. In addition, I don't like to buy blindly anymore after a few poor [but cheap] choices. A demo would be nice, but I have to wait until the 12th, at the very least.

I guess I'll be waiting for a post-release sale - By then, I will have played the demo and gotten some general insight about the game's length and quality through a review/recommendation or two.

The game's out now and it's quite good.

It supports the Xbox 360 controller quite well, though the menus/in-game text only display keyboard keys.

It's been ages since I played the first Genny game, but... This one plays perfectly! The control is really smooth, with a pleasant selection of moves at your disposal. Fighting enemies and collecting items is a real joy. The scoring system rewards you for collecting items and killing enemies in quick succession (comboing). The leaderboards keep track of score runs and time runs separately, which is awesome. The game looks good in motion (better than screenshots), with nice parallax backgrounds. The characters' faces don't display enough emotion for a 3D game, but it's not a huge deal.

The only real drawback with Rocket Knight is its $15 price tag. I wish it had launched at $10. But so far it's an excellent game, which makes the price hurt less.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']The game's out now and it's quite good.

It supports the Xbox 360 controller quite well, though the menus/in-game text only display keyboard keys.

It's been ages since I played the first Genny game, but... This one plays perfectly! The control is really smooth, with a pleasant selection of moves at your disposal. Fighting enemies and collecting items is a real joy. The game looks good in motion (better than screenshots), with nice parallax backgrounds. The characters' faces don't display enough emotion for a 3D game, but it's not a huge deal.

The only real drawback with Rocket Knight is its $15 price tag. I wish it had launched at $10. But so far it's an excellent game, which makes the price hurt less.[/QUOTE]

I saw that they sneaked the release up to last night so that was weird.

Nice mini-review though. I missed out on this game back in the day and it looks like it could be some good retro fun. I'll keep an eye on this and probably pick it up during a sale.

bread's done
Back