Rogue Galaxy confimred for US release with improvements

Well, GR finally came through for me (for once) and I now have this game from my preorder there (funny, EB never called me - oh well, I'll get that $5 back soon).

I'm pushing this to the top of the backlog and playing it as soon as I finish Magical Starsign on the DS. Though the fact that VanillaGorilla is making it his first game purchase since October is disturbing ;). That ol' DQ VIII hater!

[quote name='jer7583']I really don't want to buy another game to add to the backlog right now, but with comparisons to Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, and Chrono Trigger being thrown around, and the $10 BB coupon, I might get this.[/quote]
same..i dont see this game dropping 10 bucks before the coupon expires...at most it will drop 5 bucks, making the game ineligible for the 10 off 39.99 coupon

[quote name='Roufuss']I thought the $10 off BB coupon was dead?[/quote]
it expires the 28 of Feb IIRC

also, let me state this...i dont really like RPG's but i loved Dark Cloud 2 i thought it was a fun game and the customization was a blast...this game is made by level 5, the same people, and it plays similarly from the Demo...probably gonna snag this today

Rented it today.. it kicks SOO much ass. I really don't need another AAA game to play right now, but I'll be picking it up when I have to return the rental copy..

Sitting at about 12 hours and change. I've got to say that I'm still really enjoying this game. The way that they present each new sidequest-able device is pretty cool (and sometimes quirky). Weapon Customization, Pokemon style competitions, and a whole damn factory at my disposal, its all very well put together.

I basically got to a point in the story where things become much more open ended, and I could easily see myself loosing quite a bit of time to the multitude of things in the game. However, much like the poster above me, I'd have to say that the combat is what really makes this game stand out in my opinion.

Its the perfect balance of hack and slash and traditional RPG elements. Once you unlock a good set of abilities, team suggestions are usually pretty good about healing and dishin' out the pain. I like that I can still be an asset even if my action meter runs out, and just keeping enemies locked in hitstun with my gun adds a lot to the combat dynamic than just running up and busting things.

I'm glad some more CAGs are going to pick this up, deal or no-deal, because I'm afraid it probably will not sell as well as it should. After trudging through Virtual Basic meets Final Fantasy, Rogue Galaxy is like a breath of fresh air.

The only reason I have yet to pick up Rogue Galaxy is because I still need to finish FFXII. Rest assured, once FFXII is done, I will check this out.

Did you guys see in the RPG thread, in the general forum, some guy has already beat the game? He claims it took him 31 hours and he thought it sucked.

He must have rushed through the game like nobody's business... because he posted that a few days ago, and hasn't the game only been out a week 0_o

[quote name='Roufuss']Did you guys see in the RPG thread, in the general forum, some guy has already beat the game? He claims it took him 31 hours and he thought it sucked.

He must have rushed through the game like nobody's business... because he posted that a few days ago, and hasn't the game only been out a week 0_o[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how I'm not even halfway, and already about 14 hours in he barely "played" the game. I believe he even says he did no sidequests. Even then he must have rushed through everything. No wonder he didn't enjoy the game.

I'm loving it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Seeing as how I'm not even halfway, and already about 14 hours in he barely "played" the game. I believe he even says he did no sidequests. Even then he must have rushed through everything. No wonder he didn't enjoy the game.

I'm loving it.[/QUOTE]

i didn't like that game that much in first place.why spend the extra hours on it?I could do those bonus dungeons after clearing game,bug contest,assembly weapon,hunter coins for license,or rare monster hunt but i felt it was unnesscary.My characters are pretty strong already.

Anybody still interested in this game?I have one for trade if anyone looking for it..I can't stand dumb artifical intelligence in this game,along with no armor this game makes impossible to keep your allies alive without constatly healing them

The no armor point is moot since obviously the developers knew it wasn't going to be in the game and factored a character's natural defense into the equation. I went back one dungeon to level up and the enemies weren't doing anywhere near the damage. If armor had been in the game it would have been rebalanced so that it would still be the same damage you'd take. Removing the armor does nothing but give you one less thing to equip.

Also always healing your allies isn't that much of a problem if you set them to "Go all out" since they'll heal themselves. You don't heal in this game anymore than any other, it's just more noticeable for two reasons. First, it's real time. And second there's no healing spells, so it's all items. In most RPGs there's usually a healer role in a party that has someone healing all the time.

Maybe my characters are bit underlevel.I only fight the recommended amount of battles throught the game.I don't revist dungeons or try to obtain high hunter rank.Monsters in early dungeons are really easy.

In end i got lazy,just spam magic attacks before opponents does something stupid like attacking barrier defense monsters.Ai still charge recklessly in those area attack spells

I spent about 5 hours on Juraika, just trying to get the Monster Hunter points. Awesome game so far, any RPG where I WANT the random encounters to pop up every 3 steps is ok in my book.

I'm finally off Juraika and in
the prison
and dayum it's tough. I'm finding myself blowing all my money on healing items. o_o

How is the story and the character development? I've found I can tolerate subpar battle systems and graphics and crazy load times so long as I can really get into the characters and their troubles.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm finally off Juraika and in
the prison
and dayum it's tough. I'm finding myself blowing all my money on healing items. o_o[/QUOTE]

I felt same way.The game force you to use Simon and he has all those low level equipment or should i say weapons after your mission at juraika. Just keep using his magic spells for constant fuse your guns to attack your enemies at distance

[quote name='Rasen']How is the story and the character development? I've found I can tolerate subpar battle systems and graphics and crazy load times so long as I can really get into the characters and their troubles.[/QUOTE]

Story and character development in this game is pretty good.yet again,like most rpgs really juicy stuff happen near,end of chapter 7 in this game

Ok, I'm 10 hours in, and still in the 2nd dungeon. Does anyone know if, later in the game, you can travel back to Rosa and Juraika, because I would sure like to get those Monster Points I left back there. I might just start the game over though.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Ok, I'm 10 hours in, and still in the 2nd dungeon. Does anyone know if, later in the game, you can travel back to Rosa and Juraika, because I would sure like to get those Monster Points I left back there. I might just start the game over though.[/QUOTE]
Don't worry. You'll be able to travel freely after the 3rd dungeon.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']But then are the shops still there, and selling the same stuff? I wanna be able to create all the old weapons I missed out on getting.[/QUOTE]
Yup. Some shops just add new stuff, but the old stuff stays there.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']But then are the shops still there, and selling the same stuff? I wanna be able to create all the old weapons I missed out on getting.[/QUOTE]

you can revist those planets even at end of game.It much better to revist those stage later because they willl updated the list more and remove those ???,most of good one are in cleared save data.Also, there is no limit to which item you want to purchasewhich is good if you want all skills for all characters or lots of rogue galaxy elixer or megaelixer

This game is owning my life. I'm only at the Daytron dungeon, and I've already created a Sword that Jaster isn't even high enough level to wield (Level 41 Grand Calibur, while my Jaster is only level 34. I'm 14 and a half hours into the game, and I can't stop level grinding/creating new weapons. So damn addicting.

I actually spent the last few hours catching insectors... Those damn kids at the insectron stadium think they're so tough. I'm going to show them! My knife beetle is going to tear them up.

I haven't done any Insectron stuff. Only had 3 of them when I tried to enter, so I didn't bother going out to catch 2 more, which I have now anyways. But right now, I'm obsessed with getting the Monster Points and new weapons.

Now, why is it a game like this will go unnoticed by most, and yet overhyped garbage like Kingdom Hearts 2 will be loved by all? There is no justice in the world. Level 5 has hit paydirt 3 times in a row, first with Dark Cloud 2, then with DQVIII, although Square-Enix gets most of the credit for that, and now with Rogue Galaxy. I'm starting to think I should start saving up for a PS3, if only to get their White Knight game.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I haven't done any Insectron stuff. Only had 3 of them when I tried to enter, so I didn't bother going out to catch 2 more, which I have now anyways. But right now, I'm obsessed with getting the Monster Points and new weapons.

Now, why is it a game like this will go unnoticed by most, and yet overhyped garbage like Kingdom Hearts 2 will be loved by all? There is no justice in the world. Level 5 has hit paydirt 3 times in a row, first with Dark Cloud 2, then with DQVIII, although Square-Enix gets most of the credit for that, and now with Rogue Galaxy. I'm starting to think I should start saving up for a PS3, if only to get their White Knight game.[/QUOTE]

PS2 is dead (in most peoples minds) and nobody really cares anymore. I think if Rogue Galaxy came out a few years ago people would be all over it.

And yes, I know PS2 still has plenty of games coming out for it, but most people don't care and are into Wii / 360 / PS3 (I guess) / DS / whatever.

Now, why is it a game like this will go unnoticed by most, and yet overhyped garbage like Kingdom Hearts 2 will be loved by all? There is no justice in the world. Level 5 has hit paydirt 3 times in a row, first with Dark Cloud 2, then with DQVIII, although Square-Enix gets most of the credit for that, and now with Rogue Galaxy. I'm starting to think I should start saving up for a PS3, if only to get their White Knight game.
Because people are morons. They'll play any piece of garbage that Square Enix makes, but nevermind anything actually good. Kingdom Hearts 2 was abyssmal, same with almost everything else that company has crapped out the past 10 years.

But that's a whole other thread...

[quote name='Roufuss']PS2 is dead (in most peoples minds)[/QUOTE]

The "dead" console you speak of was the #1 selling console during the recent holiday season.

[quote name='Zing']The "dead" console you speak of was the #1 selling console during the recent holiday season.[/QUOTE]

Yet a game like Rogue Galaxy will still bomb in sales... hell, I bet even Enchanted Arms for PS3 will sell three times as many copies only because it's on PS3 and not even close to being the game Rogue Galaxy is.

PS3 owners will say they are "starved for RPG's" yet pass on one of the better PS2 ones.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Because people are morons. They'll play any piece of garbage that Square Enix makes, but nevermind anything actually good. Kingdom Hearts 2 was abyssmal, same with almost everything else that company has crapped out the past 10 years.

But that's a whole other thread...[/quote]It's funny, the last great Square-Enix game (besides Grandia 3, which rocked) was Dragon Quest VIII. Level 5 developed it, but Squeenix got all the credit for it.

I'm starting to wonder what True Fantasy Live could have been like....:drool:

[quote name='Roufuss']Yet a game like Rogue Galaxy will still bomb in sales... hell, I bet even Enchanted Arms for PS3 will sell three times as many copies only because it's on PS3 and not even close to being the game Rogue Galaxy is.

PS3 owners will say they are "starved for RPG's" yet pass on one of the better PS2 ones.[/QUOTE]

*Is* Rogue Galaxy "bombing" in sales? Or is it too early to call yet? Personally I hope it does--then I can get it cheaper earlier!

I don't think it's bombing. The PS2 isn't actually "dead", it still sells very well. I don't expect this game to light up the charts, or even break the Top 20, but I have to believe, in terms of Sony's expectations for it, the game will meet or exceed them.

Sony did put a good amount of marketing power behind the game. My store got a lot of displays for it, as well as us getting RG nametags and lanyards. Plus the demo which was sent to almost everyone, and the ads all over the net.

I hear these Hunter Coins can be used for something, but so far, I haven't been able to figure out what? I would check GameFAQS, but I don't wanna accidentally stumble upon spoilers.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I hear these Hunter Coins can be used for something, but so far, I haven't been able to figure out what? I would check GameFAQS, but I don't wanna accidentally stumble upon spoilers.[/quote]

Once you hit Chapter 6 you can utilize them.

[quote name='Gamefaqs']~Planet Zerard

Within the Galaxy Corporation, you can now get Hunter License. Speak with Mio
and you will need Hunter Coins. You need 20 Hunter Coins for the Silver
License, 40 Hunter Coins for the Gold License and 60 for the Platinum License.
If you need Hunter Coins, you will need to win Challenge Battles. The usage of
a License is that some items can't be bought from Shops unless you've got the
right License. Plus, you also get discounts.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I hear these Hunter Coins can be used for something, but so far, I haven't been able to figure out what? I would check GameFAQS, but I don't wanna accidentally stumble upon spoilers.[/QUOTE]

you can cash the coins for license such as bronze,silver and platinum.The higher the license the greater the benefit.Reward include special item,extra costumes and reduce overall cost from vendors.

these license are avialable in planet zerard mainheat quarter or otherwise you may know as place you get your travel license.Talk to ditz pink head girl

I just put down whatever machines are needed to refine the ingredients, and then use the different kinds of pipes to match up the production times.

It's an absolute crock that this game is being so ignored by the masses. Shoot, even RPG fans are picking that ridiculous Ar Tonelico over Rogue Galaxy. I guess Rogue Galaxy isn't quirky or Japanese enough....

Back on topic, if this game has a money limit of 999,999, I'll soon be there, despite never selling a single thing in the game. And funny, I'm 51 hours into the game, and haven't even encountered 50% of the games enemies.

bread's done
Back